When will you accept that Linux has been a failure? It has a market share of less than 1% for fuck sake

When will you accept that Linux has been a failure? It has a market share of less than 1% for fuck sake.

Attached: ded pengun.jpg (781x933, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
google.fr/amp/s/nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/02/22/worlds-biggest-linux-distro-infected-with-malware/amp/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Most devices on the planet use the linux kernel.

/thread

This isn't true, and even if it was it's no indicator of success.

But I like using Linux

Less than 1% is a good thing.
You can run any distro without anti-virus and be worry free since most sane people would target more popular Operating Systems.

Most smartphones/tablets (android), most routers/switches, most embedded devices, transportation networks, 499 of the top 500 supercomputers, even the freaking international space station runs debian 6. Fuck off.

The way things are is the best it will ever get. The vast majority of people are irredeemably stupid and they will add nothing to the Linux ecosystem if they switch. Let them suffer in their proprietary cages so Silicon Valley psychopaths can prey on them.

Who cares about market share? GNU/Linux works fine for me for my computing needs.

Attached: vlcsnap-2018-08-10-11h43m03s567.png (1280x720, 546K)

the only failure rn is op. don't forget your dragon dildo on your way back to leldit

>market share is an indicator of success except when it isn't

>It has a market share of less than 1% for fuck sake
Concumer*
It's 99% OS share of supercomputers.

>international space station runs debian
Didn't know that. Pretty cool.
>running a space os
>on your desktop

Majority of servers are running linux so...

This

/thread

Ganoo/Shittux... hobby... it's okaaay

Linux was originally developed for personal computers based on the Intel x86 architecture, but has since been ported to more platforms than any other operating system. Because of the dominance of the Linux kernel-based Android OS on smartphones, Linux has the largest installed base of all general-purpose operating systems. Linux is also the leading operating system on servers and other big iron systems such as mainframe computers, and the only OS used on TOP500 supercomputers (since November 2017, having before gradually eliminated all competitors).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

>less than one percent

Attached: Screenshot.png (1053x720, 67K)

It succeeds at not raping my resources, unlike Winblows

That's only desktop computing. Linux dominates on servers, supercomputers, routers, and smartphones.

The ISS runs Debian on Thinkpads. It's Jow Forums as fuck.

all google is on linux

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-12.png (837x551, 1.3M)

>The Year of Linux on the Desktop
>Coming R-Right Up, Folks!

You know what, with the way Microsoft is really dropping the ball with the legacy coding (trying to slap a new frame on a rusty old shit box) and the way Linus has been anal about keeping the Linux Kernal clean since forever, I wouldn't be surprised if Linux started usurping the desktop market share as Microsft continues to fail.

Of course desktop usage itself will probably keep falling but those left that still "use computers" might find a home in Linux Distros from the fallout of a Microshit collapse.

They can't keep slapping mud onto their rotted termite infested timber shithouse forever.

Who cares how popular it is on the desktop, most normies don't use desktops anymore anyways, it's all smartphones and tablets, and most of those are linux.

Attached: bait.jpg (600x600, 16K)

On desktop.
On servers it's the dominant player. On the top 500 supercomputers it has a 100% market share. And most phones, routers, etc. run it.

>international space station is a device on the planet
brainlet

-squint-
Is that ... Fedora?

Microsoft is actually terrified of Linux in one key part of the market, remote desktops / terminal servers, because of the Unix heritage and scalability. You could replace an entire Citrix or RDS deployment for a company of up to ~250 concurrent users with ONE dual socket EPYC box running Linux, XRDP, and various GUI applications. MSO, Adobe, and a 3D CAD suite remain the missing elements, but for most people MSO document fidelity is just a collaboration issue. O365 and Google Docs exist. No Windows licenses, no CALs, no AD, no MSSQL, no Exchange, no room for Citrix.

If Adobe and one single major CAD vendor port to Linux or even provide official WINE wrappers, Microsoft is done.

Stop using google, faggot

>He's never looked up Microsoft's financials
Hate to break it to you but Mixrosoft is doing extremely well. Your average user on Jow Forums is not a good indication of this. People here fear change too much and this mindset plagues just about every aspect of this forum

So far. I'm talking about when things start to fall apart when they have to overhaul everything and can't just keep sweeping bad code structure under the rug.

kernal

Attached: IMG_0439.jpg (400x400, 15K)

Didn't some jackass slip malware into repositories this year?

That was the Arch user repo. Only retards use Arch and bigger retards blindly trust the AUR.

Attached: hangurself.jpg (255x255, 8K)

Sysadmins and MSPs are actively moving things to Linux to avoid Win10 and Windows Server 2016 patching hell. When Win7 and Windows Server 2008R2 go EOL there will be a major migration away.

>Patching hell
>Not managing WSUS
The fuck are you smoking? Server 2016 is leagues better than 2008R2 you fucking boomer.

A user repository where anyone can package anything. It's not like he had to slip it in, he just packaged it.

Good things are rarely popular with the average population.
this

This. As long as my distro is popular enough for the devs not to abandon it, I don't care how many people use it.

>Something' swidely usef
>It's not successful
I'm no longer able to distinguish trolls from legit brainlets.

Since only NEETs use Linux as it requires your time having no value, i doubt it's only 1%

>I'm not a NEET myself, I'm a professional Twitch streamer!
There are people using Linux daily that make more than you ever will.

Attached: 1465229398678.png (709x636, 167K)

And let me guessed, you're using mint fucking brainlet?
google.fr/amp/s/nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2016/02/22/worlds-biggest-linux-distro-infected-with-malware/amp/

Nice appeal to popularity. Faggot.

Why?
It's extremely useful for me, so at the very least it's anything but a failure for me personally.

>It has a market share of less than 1% for fuck sake.
Desktop computers is a dying fad anyway.

More than Windows 8/8.1 and getting closer to OS X on _desktop._ It's huge.

Linux is a kernel.

>It has a market share of less than 1% for fuck sake.

Actually I am surprised how well it performs

>Since only NEETs use Linux
I am a chemical engineer and use Linux with OpenFoam to simulate shit

Attached: file.png (388x308, 148K)

That just isn't true, but it's a nice fantasy for you to believe in~

It cannot have a market share if its not in the market, e.g. you don't pay for it, you download it

And thats a good thing
>wanting plebs in gnu/linux

I don’t make my technology decision based on the whims of the bandwagon. That kind of thinking is why we have this botnet problem in the first place

this, the entire office pretty much just uses tablets, mainly ipads
>Sysadmins and MSPs are actively moving things to Linux
LOL hysterical

Android is more than 50% of the global mobile market.

and it's beautiful!

>lincucks getting btfo in this thread

Attached: linux desktop.png (909x1600, 990K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Its a ubuntu based distro by people who don't understand Unix philosophy.
(just like systemd, gnome and redhat)

i like how everyone uses the term "linux" to refer to GNU/Linux in their daily lives without giving a fuck, but whenever someone comes along and points out that GNU/Linux has a market share of less than 1%, the "linux" definition magically reverts back to "it's just a kernel"

so you use "linux" to refer to GNU/Linux whenever it makes you look good, but as soon as someone comes out and points out that GNU/Linux has a tiny market share, you flip flop and redefine words for your own benefit

well done Jow Forums

Attached: 1534116564256.jpg (621x702, 19K)

if/when systemd+linux grows above OSX marketshare we'll all be moving to BSD.

>distrowatch
>reflecting actual world usage
pick one
the author of that article is a moron beyond comprehension

I don't know why but this was funny as hell

servers are GNU/Linux
android has a little GNU in it

the linux desktop has a small market share but GNU/Linux as a whole is pretty big

OP explicitly said "linux" not GNU/Linux or Linux desktop distributions. kys

>What is android
>What is Red Hat
>What is S.U.S.E
>What is nearly every server and embedded system since the 90s.
>What are mainframes

Any mission critical computer run by people/organizations with half a brain runs some form of Linux. The only people who use Windows and OS X are normalfags, zombie masses and "Content creators"

>But muh video editing workstations
>muh youtube giants

You think LTT falls under anything other than normie trash? ffs if you love jerking it to blue screens so much stay with Windoge.

It's only a hobby at this point
I don't mean this in a bad way, just that it's fun to play around but shouldn't be taken too seriously when something goes wrong in a patchwork of code made by thousands of people with varying skills over decades

>despacito is the best song ever written
this is your argument

>all these triggered freetards
Truly the timesink OS.

Only if you're a faggot

>It has a market share of less than 1%

That's wrong

>67123831
Yep. ISS and NASA are primarily Fedora users, in Fedora's repos we have tons of fedora-science tools to set up your distro for deep space exploration with software to control everything from telesccopes to tracking satellite navigation. By default you're enabled with compiler tools such as gcc, python 2.7 legacy, and bash scripting. We love science and the free opensource community that helps us thrive in fields that lead in productivity, all while being backed rhel.

Now the rest of you go on and argue over redundant things such as system-D, which Ubuntu flavor is better (even if they all share the same software repositories), or how to fix your anime arch set-ups (which are bound to crash during the next major kernel update). Have gun kiddos. Stay pointless.

Totally meant fun, not gun.

>market share
>free kernel

Attached: 1529525546553.jpg (568x740, 38K)

ARE YOU A WIZARD

I speak from experience.

Gentoomen should have guns anyway.

>When will you accept that Linux has been a failure?
Linux fags = cult
They will never accept it
And they will never have enough brains to make it user-friendly so it will become popular desktop OS
They will blindly masturbate to the idea of them being superior to "stupid normies"

Okay shill, riddle me this. Wangblows is riddled with malware and other shit and forces me restart every hour. OS X has a shit-tier UI with all sorts of unnecessary shit packed into it, and that's also full of security holes and only runs on overpriced garbage hardware or needs hours to be sank into for a hackintosh. But then I boot up Linux to a lightweight desktop, run the installer, and then it works forever without a hitch. It runs word processing, spreadsheet, web browsing, music player, video player, and file management software. It does everything I need. And it's fucking free. Why wouldn't I use it?

>b-b-but muh market share!
>b-b-but it doesn't have my obscure wifi driver!
Who the fuck cares?

Attached: 1527161698849.png (614x614, 31K)

There's nothing to accept. After getting BSOD after BSOD from some dumbass "Memory Management" problem, I've had enough. Most of the "reasons" Windows gives for crashing are total bullshit, to say nothing of the patronizing emote that they've plastered onto the blue screen. No error codes, no helpful information, just a :( and an error saying "OOPSIE WOOPSIE, WE MADE A FUCKY WUCKY!"

When a 300-billion-dollar company can't make a halfway stable operating system in nearly 10 years, anyone who defends it clearly has some kind of Barnacules-tier stockholm syndrome.

Attached: BSOD Memory.jpg (1322x805, 82K)

>When will you accept that
desktop Linux has been a failure?

fixed

words can mean many different things, shocking, I know

I dont defend Windows
Windows is shitty as fuck and I use Linux
But Im actually sad that Linux isnt made more user friendly so it will destroy Windows

>67123027
Nearly all servers uses GNU/Linux for programming and software development, and not just gayming, you brainlet.

It's almost like Jow Forums isn't a singular person

Windows and OS X are marketed to such utter retards that you'd need to do some fairly intrusive things to Linux to protect them from themselves. Fedora Atomic Workstation might be the one if Flatpak ever takes off properly.

Get out of my head.

>market share of less than 1%
Your math's a bit off there. Linux isn't dominating the computer desktop and laptop markets. And that's it. Everything else - phones, embedded systems, servers and even things like stereo receivers and fridges run the linux kernel.

If you look at the market share of computation devices regardless of what they are then Linux absolutely dominates the market.

Linux desktop distributions can't run old games and some other software perfectly and more importantly, easily. So I don't know about that. My worthless neet brother keeps talking about how he doesn't want to upgrade to Windows 10 and he has mentioned that he wants to try Linux but he can't play GTA 5 and that's what he does basically all day every day so GNU/Linux isn't an alternative unless that man-child grows up.

>no helpful information
I've used GNU/Linux since Windows 98 was popular and I've seen my share of kernel panics in my time. There's information those rare times a version of the GNU/Linux kernel crashes, there's no denying that.. but it's hardly "helpful"

Attached: kernel-panic.4.4.43.jpg (2048x1152, 346K)

>GNU/Linux
>being this anal

Okay, Richard.

I'm not Richard

Attached: imnotrichard_20180708_062359.jpg (2000x2667, 2.21M)