Why won't more countries use this?

Why won't more countries use this?

Attached: illust_logo_dab_plus.png (2208x1116, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System
twitter.com/AnonBabble

old fm radio is simple and does its job so people don't want to buy new equipment especially nowadays when trendy people streams everything over internet.

maybe i would consider buying one if sound quality were better (and of course there would be radio channels broadcasting dab shit. in 2003-2006 in my country were one channel but it shut down because of too few listeners). i've understood that dab uses shitty mp2 compression with max bitrate of 192kbps. there should be dab2 with opus.

norfag here. This was a mistake and nobody likes it. Especially since you could have just skipped a step and jumped straight to Internet radio instead.

Same reason nobody uses Linux: it doesn't do anything the common denominator (Windows in this example) doesn't, and introduces its own set of stupid problems.

because the equipment is expensive and the signal is bad

>dabs on FM radio
jokes aside radio in general is ded

This.
Only old people listen to radio nowadays.

people still listen to the radio in cars, in kitchens and in some shops...

Sound quality is shit where I live because they cram as many channels as they can onto 1 multiplexer. Resulting in bitrates of 20kbps for talk channels and 32kbps to 40kbps for music channels. It's a fucking joke even if they're using the HEAAC v2 codec

DOA

>cars
Yes
>kitchens
>shops
No, there's Internet.

internet is more often down or slow than broadcast link tower

Because it will be outdated and replaced in some years with another incompatible new shit
People in Germany already got fuckd 2 times like that

Cuz my mom is against it

Attached: capture.jpg (2048x945, 471K)

Lets see:
1. Shitty codex
2. Most chans are 60-100kbps with this shit codex, audibly being horrid
3. Exact same coverage as FM, so no gain. Still limited by same radio towers
4. Software side of radios are not elegant at all. You might get 40 channels, but you can't auto search them.

FM is reliable and you can buy an FM radio for pennies.

DAB+ on dem haterzz..

huh, apparently my country uses it
i've never used it or even seen a player for it though

>the future is here and it is mono!
yes its a joke (looking at you bbc)

new transport/compression tech always ends up like this

i was in the gas station the other day, and their overhead sound system was hooked into a local radio station.

because Spotify exists?

We started the rollout of DAB before DAB+ existed. The bitrate of most stations is terrible though, FM is usually better.

what exactly is the advantage if not quality?
was it just a case of "it's potentially better, but nobody uses bitrates that are better because mah channels"?

>Poor quality low bitrate audio
>Decoding eats battery life 10x as fast as FM

Attached: 1534180369665.jpg (1014x868, 77K)

Because it's shit.

I like to see the song on the screen, that's about it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System

Attached: 01.jpg (1026x769, 113K)

I have a portable dab radio, mainly for LBC. It's okay since it's talk radio. Coverage craps out all the time though. Its okay I guess. Saves me data on my phone

usually rds data cointain just commercials, at least in where i live

Cos it's shit. Just like with TV, it's opened up a once exclusive market to the plebs and now quality has gone down the drain (both in terms of audio/video quality and content quality).

Multiplex operators can earn more money buy leasing out 10 slots at 96 kb/s MP2 than they can leasing out 5 slots at a vaguely acceptable 192 kb/s. Then you get the situation where it's so cheap to be on the platform that any old crap company can afford it, and you then get hundreds of channels full of absolute shit that isn't even listenable/watchable due to the horrendous bitrates.

So mad.

How desperate. I wonder if they have data about the effectiveness of this.

Attached: 081612-music-50-djs-Afrika-Bambaataa.jpg (1160x865, 140K)

I've never seen RDS data not contain the artist and track

We helped develop android based dab+ for car stereos. The app has auto search and everything.

Can be downloaded from www.androidautoshop.com

Attached: he's right.png (602x300, 171K)

The internet is replacing it.

Attached: 1*Tb5oD-WIw76P-yxU689YHA.png (1200x900, 181K)

Speaking of which, the US uses a batshit crazy retarded system where they instead of having tons and tons of channels at around 200Mhz instead shove digital data alongside analog FM stations.
And that digital data isn't even a standard fucking audio codec like mpeg2 or aac, its a proprietary clone of aac-he.
So they can't have just digital radio, as the main station FM base tone is used to derive the bandpass filter above 16khz which contains the digital data.
So the reason why YOU USA fags can't have DAB+ is because some dumb fuckshit company lobbied the FCC to standardize its proprietary undocumented shit which companies need to pay millions for to use.

DAB+, the one that actually launched with some fanfare over here, uses AAC+. Of course, instead of celebrating the better codec with good sound quality, they just dropped the bitrate way down.

FM radio is capable of superior audio indeed.

LOL. We have DAB. But whenever there's a premiere league football game or a protest rally, it gets turned off. The DAB frequency is too close to that for the new digital police and emergency services radio, and they interfere with eachother.

good country-ing you have there

I've also heard that the fire brigade keeps their old analogue radios parallel with their new digital ones because digital radio tends to cut out when you go inside a burning building. (Or a building in general.) TETRA packet radio is a fucking joke.