/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

vintage jbl studio monitors > lsr305
also video, DIY, and home theater discussion

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 196K)

Other urls found in this thread:

falconacoustics.co.uk/cabinet-parts-accessories/cabinet-kits-ls3-5a/falcon-cherry-mini-monitor-complete-kit.html
youtube.com/watch?v=aFGhEKF98Pw
stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/333/index.html
ebay.com/itm/Wharfedale-Diamond-9-1-Speakers-Pair-WITH-2-YEAR-GUARANTEE/263726890459
ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-BOWERS-AND-WILKINS-DM302-B-W-PAIR-BOOKSHELF-SPEAKERS-BLACK/292541089759
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

old thread

>vintage jbl studio monitors > lsr305
>large highend monitors > super cheap entry level monitor
no shit

>>large highend monitors > super cheap entry level monitor
that's the joke
but it's not like anything else is better than the lsr305 :^)

Are speakers from system one good budget speakers? Thinking of H388B or H212B. Was going to buy a center, a bass and 2 surrounds as well. I have a Harman/Kardon 7.2 receiver.

that stuff looks white van as fuck

>Are speakers from system one good budget speakers?
What speakers were you looking at?

H388B and H212B
I wrote it in the post.
Dunno what center, surr and bass to buy yet.

>I wrote it in the post.
I'm blind, sorry. They look good from taking a look at the spec sheet, though I'm not seeing reviews and such for them. I'd get them if they're what you want, personally I'd be cautious due to them being literal who speakers it seems

repostan

Ayo lads im fixing a dual 1216 and I got a wiring problem. The thing uses a 5 pin plug as output and the tonearm is wired up with 3 leads: the - right and -left are twisted together and the tonearm ground is bridged with the twisted negative leads. The common ground is then soldered on the center pin and this pin is connected to the plug barrel with some sort of ceramic cap.
Question is : How the fuck do I wire it into a phono rca with ground ? I got din plugs and all but i don't know how to wire it.

Pic Related

Attached: wiring schem.png (671x865, 128K)

Are there any good speakers for 100$ or less? Probably not but I'll ask anyways. I have a small college student room and got a cheap (100ish $) turntable and want to buy some speakers for it.

micca mb42x
still the benchmark for better-than-nothing tier speakers
get a small amp with them and you got something

>vintage jbl studio monitors > lsr305
lol

Attached: vintagegarbage.png (835x668, 113K)

based lsr305 shill

Attached: page3.jpg (1274x1724, 144K)

What are some recommended budget (

Been doing some actual critical listening all morning on my day off. Sounds good.

Attached: IMG_3395.jpg (4032x3024, 1.76M)

how do the meme speakers sound? what have you been listening to?

Attached: Audio_Setup_Gross.jpg (951x634, 178K)

You still have them on the stands like that after what we explained?

Attached: $_57.jpg (1280x960, 83K)

Is there any open research on acoustics and how to make a perfect monitor at home from shit and sticks?

The technology behind putting a speaker into a plywood box is pretty low and actually should be reproducable at home with a few had tools.

Why dont people just reverse engineer the super duper top end speakers?

>Why dont people just reverse engineer the super duper top end speakers?
because maybe you underestimate the shit out of it

falconacoustics.co.uk/cabinet-parts-accessories/cabinet-kits-ls3-5a/falcon-cherry-mini-monitor-complete-kit.html

Start with a kit maybe?

If you're in a medium-sized city in a developed country and not buying used gear locally, you're simply doing it wrong

>not buying used gear locally, you're simply doing it wrong
I have no local shops for used gear that aren't overpriced and craigslist is just full of people selling their 10+ year old HTIB receivers or shit-tier audio equipment.

Attached: 1460323038225.jpg (630x629, 39K)

Bought these for 25. Just for fun you know.

Attached: 8fd64d5fc89059fab3736f19541fca86--loudspeaker.jpg (529x499, 29K)

>Why dont people just reverse engineer the super duper top end speakers?
They do. Drive units are not always available.
A large portion of the expense associated with the super high-end is on exotic craftsmanship and on components that have little to do with the device performance.
>should be reproducable at home with a few had tools
The curvature and contours of particular cabinets and baffles would be exhausting to do by hand, if not outright impossible.
>open research on acoustics
Read a book

>Is this bass really strong enough?
What are you spinning, /ag/?

Attached: Hold Your Colour.jpg (2000x1333, 320K)

Anyone here ever build their own rack?

Attached: Rack.jpg (900x900, 51K)

I'm mostly new to speaker audio, having some experience in headphones.

I need to get an amplifier for a pair of bookshelf speakers for my parents. Are full digital amplifiers like SMSL AD18 a meme or are they actually as good as people say ?

I'm considering it, but I'm not a carpenter so I'm afraid it won't be that good. Friend of mine said he'd do it since he's good at woodworking. What did you make yours out of?

You do literally everything wrong.

Thats not mine, just a google image. I really just came here looking for some inspiration.

i'd look at existing racks to get an idea of how you want your equipment to look first. do you want it laid out vertically or horizontally? after that, which component goes where? tuner above amp? amp above tuner? where will your DAC or even DAC + server go?

Attached: racks_50.jpg (773x559, 127K)

>rack
lol

I want to build a vertical rack like in pic with the turn table on top at roughly counter height with a simple plinth underneath. All the "audiophile" or vintage racks are insanely pricey, I figure I can do it with pine ply for a fraction of the cost.

I have a stupid question. Are all rack mounts universal? This seems like the kind of thing where you get locked into a single ecosystem with proprietary bullshit.

Attached: sansui rack system.jpg (668x1024, 76K)

Definitely something you can build if you have the tools and material. Generally, the audiophile racks are expensive due to them being even more expensive during their time. They are some of the best vintage you can get, though. You'll also notice by design they're rack-system designed with handles and screw mounts - but you can of course not use a rack and keep them separated.
> Are all rack mounts universal?
Don't quote me on this, but I believe all audio rack systems are the standard 19". I could very well be wrong.

>Definitely something you can build if you have the tools and material.
I just watched this and realized this is well within my skill level.
youtube.com/watch?v=aFGhEKF98Pw

>but I believe all audio rack systems are the standard 19".
My new marantz amp is made for a 19'' rack, I've been hunting for some vintage stuff hopefully it fits. Fucking impossible to find black gear from the 70s though, looks like sansui is my only option.

Thanks for the input.

Going to try my hand at reconing my L100T woofers
>My new marantz amp is made for a 19'' rack, I've been hunting for some vintage stuff hopefully it fits
Good to hear it's 19"
> Fucking impossible to find black gear from the 70s though,
Audio was really silver in those days, my Onkyo has a silver face to it. Nakamichi had black gear, but those are even rarer to find making them much more expensive
>Thanks for the input.
No problem

Attached: 1534080281737.jpg (540x540, 221K)

qx guy back from work.

daily reminder that q acoustics 3020i sound like febreze

Attached: 20180811_122052.jpg (1210x1613, 390K)

febreze sounds pretty bad though

>Black Hifi
>Not seeking GLORIOUS 70's sliver

no taste

or gold

Attached: 088CE4EA-0D38-46F1-B5FA-255F74052EF3.jpg (775x260, 36K)

but it's refreshning the air

I don't have enough mid century modern furniture to match silver gear.

i'm spinning my hard disks, not inferior dust-gathering antique

how do I find cheap, big, passive speakers for my boomer parents? should I just type in "JBL" to craigslist and buy something? also, can I get away with using a cheap ass amp like my old 20w lepai?

>using a cheap ass amp like my old 20w lepai
make sure to type in "klipsch" then

I am looking for a good speaker for guitar sounds.

1. Big Bookshelf
2. Ribbon or best seet sounding tweeter. No horn crap or klispsch craps
3. 8 ohm
4. Transmission line if possible.

What it sound like. I think crystal clear clarity in hi frequency. Should not sound flat. Should be perfect.

I see qacoustics 3050 has good review. I think i want good speaker but i do not want to regret buying. So i am here to get good feedback

Vintage bookshelf which does this also ok.

>that massively expensive setup
>tiny ass non-OLED tv

looks like a 42" plasma
that was the bees knees in the days
and still kinda is

Planning on playing Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby album (odd choice I know) tomorrow.

Had intended to play today instead but got carried away testing new Tannoy 502s (good so far, need XLR cables to us with DAC, currently using directly with PC/ onboard soundcard via 3.5mm jack cables).

t.Rackfag
Mostly universal 19, if no, then adapter ears available. Expensive 'cause used for real severs and made of steel.
Lurk moar.

Attached: 1499802634284.jpg (439x290, 23K)

you are asking for this:
stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/333/index.html
still available at ~$1000 US, in good used condition
you will need a 100 watt per channel amp

most audiophiles including myself see video as completely secondary

Polk Signature S10 or Q Acoustics 3010? Need a smallish speaker that's non-fatiguing and also looks good. Leaning toward the Q Acoustics simply because they come in white. Polk only releases their speakers in white in Europe for some reason...

Attached: speakers.jpg (850x319, 58K)

QUESTION

Can a long usb cable or a 3.5mm extension cable reduce quality or increase delay?

is this for near field?

yes. going on my desktop on each side of my computer monitor. use-case is 75% music, 25% television/movies

id stay clear of polk, myself

for under $250 and not a shitty black box design, what are your suggestions otherwise? the Polks (the bigger S15 at least) seem to be recommended often..

Attached: sony cdp x5000.jpg (1200x900, 94K)

F'n WOW! Does it SACD?

Attached: Copy Screen.jpg (364x268, 16K)

the problem with polk is it has always been a midtier manufacturer and when it was sold way back most of the product line went towards mass market and lower sound fidelity because of interest in the profit margin -- you find all sorts of polks from this era (10 years ago) in used sales for about $10 at times -- so you take the risk of the product being not that good, made of cheap components, and having 1/10 resale value in a matter of three to five years

if you purchase from a maker that has a reputation for not cutting corners, you will tend to find better design, and middle level components (for the $250 range) and these products will maintain their resale value much longer

polks in general are more durable and can "take a beating" but they don't have much refinement and can suffer from distortion

since you want non-fatiguing, you are looking for a dome non-metallic tweeter; you could even try to dig up a QAcoustics 2010 -- these are discontinued, but you might find some used for about $150 US

other options that might be available in europe include wharfdale 10.1, elac 5, monitor bronze (used), older KEF Q15 or Q10 UniQ, used dali spektor, even old B&W

also like these:

ebay.com/itm/Wharfedale-Diamond-9-1-Speakers-Pair-WITH-2-YEAR-GUARANTEE/263726890459

ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-2-BOWERS-AND-WILKINS-DM302-B-W-PAIR-BOOKSHELF-SPEAKERS-BLACK/292541089759

>tfw just paid $2,250 for a new power amp

Attached: 1326121574668.png (464x425, 84K)

What speakers?

Klipsch CF4. I've got 5 of em

Attached: 1304465161290.jpg (144x144, 4K)

lol theyre huge

Attached: img_2064.jpg (600x450, 64K)

moving my stereo down to college tomorrow, will post in a few days when i get it all setup looking nice.

Kinda sorta. The Cornwalls I have are wider but aren't as heavy. That's a 12" sub on top the Cornwalls for reference

Attached: 20180714_093141.jpg (520x925, 55K)

Also cat for scale

Attached: 20180714_091452_HDR.jpg (1732x974, 180K)

Attached: 1508091011593.gif (800x800, 681K)

then i'd say modhouse minicubes are worth a look at or the iloud monitors if u dont want to buy an amp

aight

post pics when you set it all up

This is where I'm at right now. The plan is to get the amp and pre/pro then first week of September I have off so I'll build some panels to make the echo not so horrific. Plan is something like this

>B̶u̶y̶ ̶p̶o̶w̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶m̶p̶
>Get Pre/Pro
>Built acoustic panels
>Find thick carpet to cover floor
>Build subs
>Get AT screen
>Get true 4k projector

Might be forgetting something here. Not sure if Atmos will work with such low ceilings

Attached: 20180714_150936.jpg (1732x974, 145K)

Attached: 20180714_150955.jpg (1645x925, 111K)

Infinity is that you?

Nope

Attached: 20180502_181558-1494x2656.jpg (1494x2656, 612K)

thats gonna be hella loud

Attached: let the galaxy burn.jpg (720x300, 31K)

Sure could be. 180 wpc across 5 channels. Easily 120db if I really wanted

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-13-23-09-26.png (1440x2560, 2.36M)

what power amp did you get

You don’t. RCA/phono is unbalanced

Reporting in

Attached: 0BC0DB6C-FB64-4F4A-847A-9D972470609D.jpg (1242x1627, 529K)

i just want real speakers

I've got a raspi and I'm thinking of writing a little script on it that fetches the current playing data from my yamaha receiver and displays it with album art lyrics etc on an old monitor

anyone know of an existing solution? im lazy

bump

the what do i do ? most amps dont have din input

Look at what just arrived at my door, /ag/!
It's the amp I bought from some user in here!

Attached: IMG_20180814_153339.jpg (2560x1920, 2.43M)

He even included the manual and the remote!
Thank you, user, you're my hero!

Attached: IMG_20180814_154609.jpg (2560x1920, 2.19M)

Hmm, my thrift store Sony is heavier.

Attached: 1532142511339.jpg (1280x550, 116K)

How much?

Attached: tumblr_mv1lkgQXKf1r86b9lo2_1280.png (960x720, 1.16M)

you didnt pay more than 50 dollars for this did you? this is made in china garboni

what speakers and amp is that?

what amp?

And so is the Grundig preamp I'm going to hook up to it.
Shipping cost.
Not even close.

Was there something with the volume control?

Yup, the rotary encoder is shot. I'll take it to the workshop together with the preamp later today, since that one has a dicky balance control.

Attached: IMG_20180814_162114.jpg (2560x1920, 2.36M)

I don't think you even understood his question

They sound like KEF LS50. I don't have a lot to compare how they sound to, at least not in this price bracket. Closest thing would have been the KEF R300 which is a step up from LS50 but is a lot more difficult to get sounding optimal. Also they're are even more expensive. Uhh... they are worth the $1200 cdn I paid for them tho, IMO. Since my new speakers are coming any day now I figured I'd play around with toe, etc. Angling them right where my ears are and placing the front end of the baffle right up to the edge of the stand like user suggested really helped bring everything into focus. PS. I'm moving the rack into the corner next week.

Attached: IMG_3417.jpg (4015x2519, 2.14M)

>there are still people that store digital music files in formats other than WAV/FLAC
Disgusting

.tak master race reporting in
Leave, filth

i have some ape files