Should I get a degree in Cybersecurity?

Should I get a degree in Cybersecurity?

Attached: 1533682662726.jpg (1125x1035, 56K)

That’s what I’m looking at doing. I think I fucked up but it’s too soon to tell. Oh well

No.

Cybersecurity is a booming field in IT right now. Just make sure that whatever program in the school you go to actually teaches you something. If you can't program and you don't know any network or database fundamentals then it doesn't matter if you pass the shitty Certified Ethical Hacker test, you're a shitty hacker. One of the most frustrating thing about IT right now I think is that there isn't a clear definition it standard of what every IT degree is supposed to mean, so some school curriculums are much different than other schools. Make sure whatever one you consider is real and not a meme degree.

it depends, is what you what to learn cybersecurity?
do you not have access to local people that could help you with occasional questions?
then go for it

if you don't especially care about it, if you're not passionate about it, then do a different degree
if you're still extremely driven and interested in the field, and you have access to local resources, then do a math degree because you'll be more valuable with that

people that do well (career advancement wise, regardless of actual skill) in security do not have IT degrees

Don't.
Any CS will be able to steal your job without having to study cybersecurity.

If you want a meaningful career you should look into computer engineering with some CS course (algo+data structures) when you have to take the 2-4 electives you are given at your senior/junior year. A CE can steal EE, CS, SE, AeroE jobs

That's what I'm doing; make sure you either go to a good college or learn to teach yourself. The college I'm currently going to is garbage tier, but at least I got a full ride scholarship. Also, teach yourself things like programming and hardware logic - being able to understand and talk about stuff like that while you're around infosec students/employers will make them think you're a genius, since they're used to wannabe techies that aren't smart enough for compsci/engineering.

Attached: 1532291961478.jpg (694x520, 110K)

no

Attached: 1533087294025.jpg (400x496, 37K)

Bad idea. Get a degree in literally anything else relevant, preferably CE but even straight math or fucking stats, and then get all of the certs and become president of the closest thing to a cybersec club or do some hackathons at your school.

This. CE is one of the most versatile degrees only because 95% of people hiring have no idea exactly what it entails but tend to assume it's just what they need.

I got a CE/EE degree then moved into infosec, worked like a charm
I don't know what you'd be able to do with a CS degree desu

CS is for computer science. Fancy that. Anyone with less than a doctorate in it thought computer science meant Koding™ and not, you know, science.

Seems that your cat is from a polite breed

Attached: 1532190742988.jpg (706x690, 54K)

Attached: IMG_20180812_001823.jpg (158x158, 5K)

>degree in engineering
>not, you know, operating and maintaining an engine

I don't make the rules, pal. I just act smug for knowing them.

Attached: 14795875956380.jpg (1280x720, 70K)

Well, I mean

Attached: 1530458437421.gif (320x240, 2.42M)

is what I did, I was about to get a place for cyber security but the uni of math and the curricular plan was just better. they have computers in the math lab anyways and I can learn some code myself. plus the math degree people will hire me for whatever I don't know what the fuck does a math degree does anyways, computers and science

>filter retarded frogposter images
>now have to filter retarded cat/dog images
where the fuck do you subhumans even come from? reddit? tumblr?

I really, really, really like this image.

That's certainly one degree that's looked out for.
But, if I were in my shoes (and I am) I would continue NEETing it up until someone sees how truly gifted you are via Jow Forums - it's bound to happen eventually - we all just want to help.

Attached: 1532406667127.gif (270x223, 1.16M)

More yes than no. However it depends on what school you go to. If you go a real school that gets money and partners with the NSA, you will have name recognition and will be turning down internship offers during summers, and then be able to more or less pick and chose where you go after school turning down job offers.

If you go to some dumb 'IT Security' program school, making a career out of it will be harder.

REGARDLESS, if you have to ask questions like this it probably isn't for you. I knew a ton of kids who thought it was easy money and going to be super simple and shit, and then after 1 year they were gone. If you don't actually find the stuff interesting and have the fucking drive to pay attention and do your work, and also be doing labbing and other shit on the side you will end up a ticket jockey. If you actually care about the shit and want to learn you have a better chance of getting a job enjoy.

What doesn't help is acting like a fucking tool on Jow Forums. You need to know how to use windows, you need to know how to use osx, and no amount of LEL WANGBLOZ xD faggotposting is going to change that. The more time you spend here turning into a fucking retard the less chance you have of getting a job.

Depends on how OP wants to help.

I think we're all just looking for a foot in the door.
Surely, not everyone is sitting behind a computer.

Oh cool. That's my plan too. Just going straight for EE. Any tips on how to transition or what or how to supplement my studies?

I want to be in infosec, but after talking to an EE graybeard who told me he ended up programing drones, I decided I should stay away from any computer meme degrees in college.

Attached: 1527108150926.jpg (720x960, 51K)

Attached: DM0dNmZXcAEhCUy[1].jpg (400x400, 19K)

read this thread:
avoid joining the defence side, unless you don't care

I don't know about cybersec but your cat looks very polite

Save it! It's all yours, friend! :)