You are forced to use either Windows NT 4.0 or Windows ME as your daily driver. Which do you choose?

You are forced to use either Windows NT 4.0 or Windows ME as your daily driver. Which do you choose?

Attached: ntorme.png (480x720, 324K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NV-Vxm8OwrI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

NT 4.0 without a doubt. Was a bitch to setup properly but at least it wasn't ME.

>Which do you choose?
Depends. Do I want random fucking bluescreens 10 times a day?

I choose the rope.

ReactOS

probably depends on how well your drivers played with the OS. Windows ME probably has more recent software written for it as far as any sort of internet browsing.

NT 4.0 was a beast, and is the basis of every new OS that came after it.

Windows ME killed the MS-DOS lineage with how shitty it was

ACKSHUALLY MS release W2000 at the same time as Me and was already in the process of phasing out DOS completely. Contrary to popular perception, XP is the successor to 2000, not Me.

NT4 wasn't something you used at home. I mean you could, but a lot of consumer tier hardware didn't have driver support. When it did, there were often problems. The average gaymer/ricer used 98 or 98SE.

This might be with windows 98 specifically IIRC, but I remember there being some limitations with memory and hard disk size probably due to fat32 or some shit or fdisk being weird. I don't think there's any memory or disk related size worries with NT 4

NT 3.1 already used NTFS which made sense in a professional environment, FAT32 was fine for home use because files over 2GB in size weren't a thing.

I think I remember seeing ATMs run 4.0 a while back

If you used any one of these, you would already know.
Nice bait retard.

Attached: delet_this_rn.png (497x351, 257K)

Depends ENTIRELY on drivers

NT 4 anyday. it was rock solid and nearly uncrashable at the time (on non-defective hardware). not having to support pnp probably helps a great deal.

Both NT 4 and Me run more consistently than ReactOS. Only thing ReactOS has in its favor is the ability the browse the web out-of-the-box because it has the recent certs and every site now is https.

>TFW I had a 3.2 GB HDD

NT4 utterly blows the fuck out of ME/98/95, I already run it on most of my 9x-era systems, only brainlets who needed PnP handholding or video games thought it was bad.
The fuck are you on about? I’ve never seen a piece of contemporary hardware that only offered 9x drivers.

NT4.0 for the love of god, even 3.5 would be preferrable to 95/98/ME
It wouldn't be too hard to backport windows 2000 kernelex to 4, I could even run modern software that way!

NT 4.0 easy. Come on man.

So did I, a Quantum Fireball.

>I’ve never seen a piece of contemporary hardware that only offered 9x drivers
Then you didn't look very hard and I also said consumer tier hardware. Had a slightly less common graphics or sound card? You were screwed. Even a lot of printers or scanners didn't have NT drivers. If you were going to use it at home you really had to tailor your machine to the OS.

XP is the successor to both 2000 and ME as it marks the merging of their workstation and consumer OS lines, though if talking strictly in terms of the lineage of the software rather than the market segment and product line then yes, it is the successor to 2000.

Actually the only Thinkpad I ever owned, 300 Mhz Celeron, WIndows 98. The graphics card had 2.5 MB and it was 3D (!) capable. I played Sub Culture and MDK in a 300 resolution on it.

Windows 98 with the kernel modifications that make a bunch of software think it's winME and run on it fine

Any examples you can recall specifically? I've thrown NT4 on a tons of systems and never really had a problem with graphics and sound when I actually knew what I was looking for, just usually takes a bit more digging around to pick up the right files. I could definitely see cheaper scanners/printers being a problem though.

Why do so many people still get confused about the differences between Windows 2000 and ME? Like I can understand a consumer in the year 2000 being confused since the names are similar, but you have no excuse nowadays.

Windows ME, honestly. I never had a problem with it

laziness and ignorance
plus actually knowing shit about technology on Jow Forums doesn't make for a good epic maymay shitpost or get you as much attention as being retarded

>Any examples you can recall specifically?
Sure. Had a Turtle Beach soundcard which I couldn't get to work and I also remember having problems with the reference 3dfx drivers, but the issue was probably specific to my video card, it was a cheap Guillemot.

NT 4.0, at least I can still use neat non-x86 hardware

Sounds weird, both of those sound like they use fairly standard chipsets that should work fine.
Most of my retro NT4 projects are OEM systems which usually have some shitty ESS/Crystal sound chip on board and usually Matrox or S3 video chipsets, but I could have sworn I've run a Voodoo or Tseng card here and there without much problems.
I think the biggest thing that makes NT4 annoying with video is the need to install SP3 before video drivers on AGP systems, it took me a while to figure that one out. Audio is usually just clicking through an installer, though.
Too bad you couldn't run much on them unless you had an Alpha, though.

Millennium, without a doubt.
I know that everyone else hates it, but I unironically loved it back then.

I choose to commit sudoku

proper NT drivers were a bit of a challenge to find at the time for home hardware. some manufacturers, especially of obscure brands, didn't even have websites, and you just kind of hoped someone zipped the floppy or CD and uploaded it online.

this was especially true of winmodems. they were cataloged by chipset rather than by the brand or model. oddly my winmodem disconnected a lot under windows 98, but rarely if ever on NT 4 or 2000. I think the driver had a lot to do with it.

while reading this tread, for some reason old w2k tv commercial came to my mind. in that commercial man was driving tractor towards barn wall.

well i used ME for 2 years entirely voluntarily (that is, i deliberately installed it myself)
imo it worked better than 98SE (not but much), i was fine with it
i didn't get into NT4/2000 because i heard they were worse for games, and had poor DOS support, which was still a consideration at the time

What hardware?

ME, at least I can run DOS abandonware for it. NT4.0 probably doesn't run anything, not even drivers.

>i didn't get into NT4/2000 because i heard they were worse for games, and had poor DOS support

Someone misinformed you. NT was made for enterprise IT pros. Honestly, Windows 2000 Pro, was/is, the best thing they ever managed to release.

youtube.com/watch?v=NV-Vxm8OwrI

>Windows 2000 Pro, was/is, the best thing they ever managed to release.
i agree with that now, but that 2 years i was 12-14, i primarily cared about what games i could run
if i was an adult at the time i would certainly have tried and stuck with 2000

-- also, nobody informed me, i was the only person in my home with interest in computers, and i was the person my friends asked for help, so i was going off nothing more than online forum hearsay
i probably did try 2000 at the time, though i don't recall. if i was to guess, i probably would have tried a DOS game, have it not work, and drop it. i played a lot of older games

NT 4.0 with or without service packs? NT 4.0 without service packs was the biggest piece of shit MS ever produced. ME was superior in almost every way.

ME if it was my old computer.

I was very lucky not to have very many problems then

well, I think 9x/ME supported up to DX8. NT4 only DX5, maybe. It was a long time ago.