Has an SSD ever failed and died on you Jow Forums?

Has an SSD ever failed and died on you Jow Forums?

Attached: SolidStateDrives.jpg (620x336, 65K)

nope, have 8, not a single failed

Been using mine for nearly 5 years, never had any issue

Nope

they have to fail eventually
what kind of business plan has "no failing hardware"

No

Attached: Works_On_My_Machine.png (200x193, 30K)

that was the beauty of the hard drive racket---every

Consumer SSDs yes, out of 8 2 have failed.
Enterprise SSDs no, not a single one running in my 24/7 homelab has failed so far.

>eventually
>speaking in absolutes
No shit, Sherlock

why would they make ssds that never fail? you'll buy an ssd once and never need to repurchase
that's stupid

I hope not.
It's what my OS is installed on, and my backup is now ~2 months old.

That's not what he meant. What he meant is that anything will fail if the given time frame is large enough.

havent had any so i feel honest answering negatively to ops question

i have two samsung evos and a samsung nvme m.2 enterprise drive, no failures yet. the oldest one is from 2012. the two evos are still in 'good condition' (i.e. 100% health and 100% performance according to smart) and they're running 24/7. the nvme doesn't support smart though, so i have no idea about its health.

nope

Every thing fails EVENTUALITY faggot

Have been using a samsung ssd for four years, not a single problem yet.

With the guarantees Samsung give, I simply do not care if it dies once it isn't covered any more. I run them into the ground

I've had 2 fail personally and have had to replace 2 more on other computers. All just a little over 3 years.

do you run a 24/7 file server without proper cooling?

how did they fail? did you start getting errors or BSODs? any bad blocks in event viewer? or did it pass away in the night without any warning?

What kind of chink shit are you buying bro?

What are some good entry level SSDs? Ones that aren't cheap chink shit but are good if you're not editing 4k videos daily.
Those Samshit Evos or Microns look overkill since the heaviest thing I'm gonna do is edit 1080p like once a week. Else is just to store pictures, run programs etc. Not buying chink shit because I'd rather have some semblance of reliability.

no. I still have a 32GB sata 2 I bought for like $300 way back in the day. shit still works.

I write maybe 2TB a year on my HDDs and have 8 of them, none have failed, been 5-10 years for them.

Never had a drive fail on me, never used the same drive for more than 3 years.

samshit evos are exactly "entry level not cheap chink shit and not for editing 4k videos daily"
not sure why anyone would use SSD for editing videos anyway, disk usage is nearly untouched when I render and edit.

samsung, intel, mushkin, kingston, corsair, are all ok, haven't had any issues with any of their SSDs honestly.

Apparently, SSDs that are of 120/240gb capacities are actually using 128/256gb NAND(s) for overprovisioning, so is it safer to fill them up compared to higher capacity drives? Why is it being done anyway, people aren't gonna buy these when they see a slightly higher sized one.

OCZ/Toshiba TR200 is a good entry level drive if you just want something dependable

Yes
Some shitty Corsair
Failed, was still under warranty, got it replaced.
Replacement failed too.

a 'hybrid ssd'
failed
totally

I had a Crucial M3 years ago that shit out on me randomly, but I think it was because of some Windows 7 update. It was fine one day, the next day I had some Windows updates and from then on, the system would crash on cue every 58 minutes. I updated the firmware on the SSD and it started working perfectly fine, but ever since then, I never trusted that drive again and purchased a different model.

That's the closest I've ever come to a hard drive failure on an SSD, but I've had a conventional Hitachi drive from an acer laptop die back in 2009ish. I kept the drive but never got around to migrating the platters to a donor drive and retrieving the personal data from it.

>post asks for ssd
Jow Forumsay

I have an 80gb Intel ssd from 2010. It was in my main computer (OS drive) at the time. For the past two years it is in my mom's as the OS drive. 8 years so I'm really pushing it.

2.5 year old evo.
95% wear level left, no errors, and power went out and raped it about 28 times already. Fucking flawless.

are kingston A400 SSDs any good?

Attached: 71504e0cb5bff6f98f4bdb48200e690e1a6e8821.jpg (940x540, 51K)

They only fail if you write extreme TB or if you leave them powered off too long

Yes.

Toshiba (OCZ) failed completely after ~1.5-2 years medium use. Won't be buying their products again.

Similar time frame, have an Intel one going strong under high use.

Overprovisioning a thing of the past, all modern drives do ot behind the scenes

>Kingston
>bait and switch

what are good reliable and fast ssds besides samsung then?

Yes. After 4 years it suddenly stopped working and I lost my whole windows partition. God bless for cloud saving at least some of my files.

Personally No.
But working in retail tech support, Ive maybe seen a few.

OCZ is the main culprit for 2.5", but soldered flash on HP streams and the like are also very common. Surprisingly been getting alot of smaller capacity Samsung M.2's that have failed, but they're in mid-tier consumer stuff. Like the Samsung MZVPV line.

Intel? I don't know, really. Nothing undercuts Samsung enough for me to risk my data on it.

SSD yes. Bought a cheap SU800 without realizing it was cheap Chinese NAND and it died after 8 months. Don't even want to RMA it because they'll send me more trash.

both my vertex 4's. got them replaced in warranty with vector 150s. only one vector still lives. only going samsung from now on

fucking bullshit and you know it. unless you're specifically talking seagate.

Have been using Kingston HyperX 240GB for around 5 years now as my main boot drive.

Using SSDs since 2013. Not a single one failed. All working fine.

cheap planar 2D nand, dramless. garbage.
Buy uv400, apacer as350, gigabyte ud pro instead. 3d nand and DRAM chip.

That's capitalism for you. They keep competing until they kill their own industry with their efficiency. "Computer" used to be a job title before they all put themselves out of work with their greatest success.

What about western digital ones? Got one a little while ago.

SSDs are defective by design

Attached: ssd.png (445x472, 191K)

Shitty Corsair Force LS failed, pretty sure it died in a power surge though, not because it was otherwise a piece of shit. I've only bought Samsung since then and I've had zero issues. However, I have seen plenty of Crucial MX300 drives fail in HP computers in the last few years.

using a better design would they be faster?

If by SSD you mean my dad then yes.

Why buy an ssd if it's going to fail?

NOPE not yet been 6 years since the last time bought one.

Hard drives usually get really nosiey and hot and read heads would just fail one day or the controller on the HDD just die and no error

you get BSOD on desktop
nothing on an laptop, as it just wouldn't boot.

Had like 3 fail. Mainly Intel's.

Yes

Yes one of the first Intel ones died like a year ago.

Never : 750evo is tip top

TopKek

it's not just the brand, it's the model too.

Which models?

I forget, stopped buying Intel's lol

you forgot the advantage rotational velocidensity provides HDDs to fast reads as the data is literally flung out of the drive

Don't forget that the rotating spindles probably create some form of gravitational energy. There is probably a micro universe in there. Every time you replace an HDD with am ssd a universe dies.

Yes four of them.

Yep, 4 of them in 3 years.

Intel Psomething-or-other of about 80GB - woke up one morning 8 months later, utterly ded (simply didn't respond to any SATA command). Lost all data.

WD Black2 (actually a hybrid drive) 1.1TB - woke up one morning six months later, utterly ded (nearly - could hear the HDD spin up, but simply didn't respond to any SATA command). Lost all data, including on the HDD part.

Kingston SSDnow V 120GB - woke up one morning a year in, utterly ded. Was smart by now - only had OS, swapfile, and replaceable programs on it.

Corsair Force LS 240GB - this one only died a couple of months ago, same symptoms as the last three - utterly ded. Again, no data of remote import on it.

On the bright side, because most of them died in warranty period, I just "rolled" their value into the next one. Latest one is a WD Black 512GB NVMe (got a Ryzen with an M.2 slot in the interim) - let's see how long this one lasts.

Old 64 Gb kingston. After working for something like 5 years 24/7.

Not yet.

Patriot TorqX2 64GB (I expected this one to die already, hasn't though)
Intel 320 120GB
2x Intel 520 120GB
Intel 730 240GB
Samsung 850EVO 500GB
Samsung 960Pro 512GB

Good so far.

Attached: Samsung 840 Pro.jpg (550x766, 82K)

I also have a first gen 500GB Seagate Momentus XT that's still kicking.

ADATA garbage failed after 4 months didn't even write more than 100gb on it.So yeah fuck adata

he's lying

I had an OCz as my first SSD, 80gb lol. Crashed and burned 2 years or so in.

Then I got a Crucial, that failed even faster.

But now both Samsung drives are doing well, Just got a new one. Feels good.

Attached: ssd.png (920x543, 64K)

>they have to fail eventually
sure, but if they become obsolete for capacity reasons before they fail, they'll never fail on me.

Has 2 corsair 120gb. First gen ssds that failed after a year.

So I bought the 850pro 512gb.ehich is still kicking it.

PS I've bought 4 SSDs so far, 3 256 Plextors and one 64 Kingston(which failed).

Yes, first generation Kingston drive failed.

post oldest drives

Attached: Untitled.png (202x43, 3K)

Yes. Three OCZ Vertex SSDs failed. Brand new one, the replacement, and the replacement of the replacement. On the other hand, I never had a HDD failing.

Yes. An early version of SSD. It was ~32 GB and it couldn't read any more.

No, not yet, and got my first SSD in 2011. Also never had a hard drive fail except the time I plugged one in with the PSU plugged in. Still have a Seagate Barracuda from 2005 as one of my Steam drives for games made around that time.

There were times when there were already proper memory cells but still retarded controllers. One of these bitches just died on me on waking up from sleep. Just bricked itself forever. No damage to memory cells, but controller fails to boot and whole thing isn't recognized in BIOS. It was 5 years ago, I think.

no

Attached: no.png (657x424, 51K)

>what kind of business plan has "no failing hardware"
a business where costumers will want to upgrade even without having their products break. look at video games for example. just 7 years ago it was ridiculous for a game to take over 10 GB of space. nowadays every single game is over 20 GB at the very least. even if you are not into games, videos have their resolution increase four times every 5 years. my SSD will last me 10 years or more, but I will still want to buy a new one with more capacity eventually.

Because carving/etching all your data on copper plates is a lot more expensive. Not to mention the terrible read/write speeds.

Yes and no, OP.

I bought one 500gb samsung evo a few years ago and it's still fine, so far.

At the start of 2018 I bought a silicon power 120gb HDD, and it was also fine besides having kind of bad performance.

200mb read/write and shitty load bearing capacity

I bought like 3 more anyways (128gb models this time) and raided those bitches)

One has failed, the pcb on it went bad or something I don't know. Support has been ignoring me for over a month now, email, phonecalls and all.

I have never had a hard drive break on me ever. I only ever replaced hard drives when i wanted to upgrade capacity which was like every 4-5 years.

All 3 ssds I have still work, but I have a friend whose Samsung evo ssd failed on him. Dunno about the details tough.

Here's a better example
Apple

What kind of hard drives are you buying that fail after 2 years?

- Sent with my 8 year old hard drive

SanDisk

LMAO, are you seriously buying SSDs? They are going to fail on you! Sure it happens a lot more with HDDs, but it's different when its and SSD.

Enjoy your shitty meme garbage that you overpaid for;)

Crucial basically makes ssd that are as good as Samsung

Nah, not even shitty cheap ones

No

check the logicalincrements side, mate.

Heard the same from a former coworker. He operated a server at his home whose disks spun 24 hours daily. He also didn't have professional cooling, and his server would get pretty toasty in summer. He said he had to buy new disks every year.