Anyone ever used ownCloud?

Anyone ever used ownCloud?

I'm trying to set up something for the coming semester and something more interesting and user friendly than just regular old ftp.

Attached: q4lG5LWk_400x400[1].jpg (400x400, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/owncloud
github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/8384
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nextcloud is their open source fork...

both are pretty fucking slow and very heavy CPU wise. but if you are running under 20k files you probably won't notice at all... unless running on raspberry pi, but still would be 'ok fast'

Crap to set up, crap to use, slow java shit and generally unreliable connectivity.

I just use webdavfs and a free 50GB box account.

I wanna host my own.

I highly doubt I would have over 1k so I should be alright running on a 1GB 1 core machine?

Works fine for me, quite smoothly since the version 13, even on my ARM dust collector. I have 800Gb, mostly photo and audio.
Btw it's php not Java, dumb tripfag

I thought it was mostly in nodejs.

No, the backend is full (or mostly?) PHP

you are fucking retarded, then.

retard

it's slow as fucking shit for getting started compared to nearly everything.
I prefer syncthing for syncing my files, it's hundreds of times faster and more efficient. far more secure too. Takes more to do incremental backups etc though.

yea should be fine, the initial run might take a day or so but after it hashes all the shit it'll be fine.

>I thought it was mostly in nodejs.
>slow java shit

well which one is it?
javascript is completely unrelated to java
P.S. it runs on neither

The frontend software I used was written in nodejs at the time and the Android client is java. It's an honest mistake.

everything on android is java
no frontend shit is nodejs. nodejs is backend shit..
being this dumb isn't an "honest mistake"

greatest tripfag BTFO in months

>no frontend shit is nodejs.
You're wrong but whatever.

Stop posting

Node.js is an application runtime environment that allows you to write server-side applications in JavaScript.

you can use javascript on both front and backend. but nodejs is for the backend
retard
retard
retard
retard

Dude applications are written in nodejs as well you fucking retard. Look up npm.

Attached: 1513963662808.jpg (1124x1080, 178K)

nextcloud / ownCloud are slow as shit and generally a pain. HOWEVER the big thing missing from any other solution is all the client solutions. Sync apps for phone, multi-OS, etc. Its too difficult to roll your own across the board, hence why people use it.

I never used syncthing.
Does it have a web interface and user management so I can share my files and projects with my non-nerd friends?
Does it automatically update the files when needed or do I have to manually push/pull them?

ya I use nextcloud. it works ok I guess. I mostly use it to have sharable links to random shit I need to... well share. syncthing overall is just nicer to use for most of my personal syncing and filesharing needs

Why use this instead of just syncing some folders with syncthing

stop posting already retard. npm stands for "node package manager". It is a dependency management and packaging system not a web framework.

I don't even know what you are talking about, take your meds, npm can be used to install "frontend" javascript apps, some of which use the nodejs javascript extensions.

I like that you mentioned web frameworks and spelled out an acronym though, your such a good boy.

Attached: 1516368172725.jpg (608x464, 110K)

I've used it. It works okay. I use NextCloud now though.

Nextcloud setup.
Seems to be working just as I wanted to.

I used to, but then I just set up a VPN and sftp.

just make your own FTP app with a custom GUI.
It aint that hard.

NextCloud does more than just syncing files.

youre a legend
can't stop smiling rn

retard...

yes, yes, yes
all of the above
syncthing basically you setup & install it, for your dumb friends probably "syncthing trayzor" is a windows client that has an "auto-startup-on-boot" type thing, then it'll just do it's do
it uses big keys that you add each other with, for example if I wanted to add you and your key was
xXXXxX-asdafs9-asdfa98sdu8ad-afsf-345dfasfadsfad-fdsfsfd
I copy paste that from you, and just put it in my syncthing.. then in a few minutes or seconds you'd get a request that "big long key" wants to connect to you, do you want to connect? then you say yes and then you select which folders you want me to have access to.. then we both share that folder if I accept your folder. and it becomes OUR folder, neither of us "own it" so anyone can delete / add / etc

also this. nextcloud is more than just syncing. But it is very slow at everything compared to syncthing it is unfortunate they don't adopt syncthing for their backend

>open thread
>read only relevant posts
>leave
very comfy

Attached: 1534253782.png (554x532, 865K)

I use it. I dislike that it's hard to add stuff on server side, so for example you can't have a rtorrent daemon that moves finished downloads into an owncloud folder, instead you need a webdav mount from localhost. Also you can only share one folder.

Syncthing solves both these issues, but it's more of a bitch to set up.

They can't just "adopt" it, one uses standard ssl sockets, the other uses an apache server.

It's slow and bloated, and basically you don't need it at all.

You can mount FTP as a drive, and then you have a more user friendly, much faster AND feature complete "cloud" service.

>FTP
Hope you're not downloading anything more sensitive than cat pictures.

FTP doesn't sync. I'm actually developing a SSH-based cloud storage with both sync and mount, and the disinformation that gets spread out is impressive.

Nextcloud. It's a piece of cake, but you'll need to remove ssl directives if you don't have an SSL cert.

>apache
no thx, you can use a real web server like nginx with nextcloud

naw FTP is fucking garbage and it doesn't store local files.
>opening 30000000 ports for it to work correctly and securely
>having to force SSL causes issues with 90% of ftp clients

Fuck off brainlet. It runs on php and JavaScript for website. Literally no java. Clearly, you just don't know how to run a server. Let me guess. You used a prebuilt docker image didn't you? You were probably literally mining for pajeets. well you deserve what to got.
You know even c apps on Android must have some java in them right? You don't know what your talking about.
Nodejs literally is the project for bringing js out of the browser.
Screencapped
Node including webdev tools doesn't mean that node is in the browser. It means that, some JavaScript lib someone wrote is in your website now.

Whatever the fuck, it relies on a webserver. You can't just attach syncthing to it in a night's work, it uses a completely different protocol.

No github.com/owncloud
NextCloud split from OwnCloud, taking all the main devs with it. No one uses OwNcLoUd unless they are locked in for some retarded reason. NextCloud has all the new features like WebRTC video calls.

Yeah, no that is far too much for a retarded normie to figure out without you holding their hand during the entire process. Syncthing works, just not for plebs.

I agree that it's a fairly convoluted process. On that ssh cloud thing I mentioned, what identifies a folder is just it's path. So if I want to request that another node syncs his ~/Music with my /mnt/data/Music I just make a request tor him to watch ~/Music and send back all notifications. Authentication is done with ~/.ssh/authorized_keys and ~/.ssh/known_hosts.

no it isn't.
You install syncthing trayzor and copy paste your ID to your partner. Dumbfuck.

The free box plan lists 10GB, how did user get 50GB?

I use Nextcloud. It's nice, but it's NOT a file sync tool. It's a document library and collaboration platform that just so happens to have file sync as a feature. Contrary to what retards are saying itt, it's plenty fast. Setting it up to be fast is not for the weak hearted though. You'll have to install weird PHP shit and screw with your webserver's config.

Why do you fold posts when you could hide them.

You can move files into the nextcloud folder. Just make sure nextcloud can read it. Then run the occ software from nextcloud with the option files:scan. You choose your folder and it will now show you all your files

no it isn't. It's insanely slow as far as technologies that do similar can do.
Dropbox can handle 300k files before it starts fucking up. nextcloud blows up randomly all the time

>you install
And that where cloud is superior. You have a full (slow, ok) web interface and can natively mount a WebDAV directory in most file manager (even Window's Explorer)

dumb tripfag, what a surprise.

you have to install nextcloud's "app" for it to sync to your computer as well, dumbshit. Anything can have a web interface to browse and much faster than nextcloud's is

>don't have an SSL cert.
Its 2018 use lets encrypt you cunt

Works on my machine. About 5k files in lxc on an OVH dedicated server 100% stable for nearly a year. Nextcloud is just one of many things the machine does, and it's definitely one of the lighter weight services.

It did run slow at first, but simply following the optimization guide made it lightning quick. You need the set up the database, PHP and the webserver correctly.

>About 5k files
This is nothing.

Yeah sure but the load is essentially zero at 5k files. I'm never going to put my entire filesystem on Nextcloud. What's up there are documents, keepass dbs, pictures and music. Code is in git and everything else on my disk is either shit I can re-download easily or shit I don't really care about. Why would you ever have 100k+ files on such a service?

This, they even have autocerts from lets encrypt for retards in docker-compose. It can't be easier than that. You literally write your domain and wanted sql password into that file and run docker-compose up -d. Finished a complete secure webserver in 10 seconds.

5k files lol
you are pathetic. Other than that syncthing works on single core ARM processors at 500MHz with 500k files just fine. next cloud would catch fire

Is that OP you? github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/8384
To quote a dev:
>Sorry, it seems a nice non-enterprise, home user tech. Not really suitable for Nextcloud which has to work in a serious setup.
Seems like your shitty homeshitbox doesn't represent big business problems.

>Why would you ever have 100k+ files on such a service?
Because it's useless if I can't access my files.

I have 5k+ music files alone, but music can be streamed from elsewhere. What I really want access to is a 300k+ picture folder and sometimes a ~3TB video library.

>300k picture folder
>3TB video library.
Reported to the FBI.

>not syncthing
>not sshfs
>not a CalDAV server
What is missing? (for personal usage cases)

no, why would I use nextcloud at all? it's garbage and bloated. Takes less than 30 minutes to make a file browsing PHP program that runs 30000 times faster than nextcloud. And syncthing just werks

>nextcloud has constant data loss issues especially when updating
>big business solution
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
neither are big business solutions. But nextcloud certainly is not for anyone who doesn't have many backups OUTSIDE OF nextcloud. Syncthing covers their losses for that separately, luckily. But they don't advertise as anything but syncing so they shouldn't even do that.

>Takes less than 30 minutes to make a file browsing PHP program that runs 30000 times faster than nextcloud
go ahead. (it have to have the same features or better)

Nextcloud isn't a backup at all. It's more trying to be like SharePoint or something. Actually it's really confusing what it's trying to be. It's definitely not a backup though.

At any rate no matter what you should be taking weekly diffs of your shit and storing them offline.

i'm updating the same database and files since Owncloud 8 and never lost anything

Just use seafile, it works.

Using seafile with webdav. there is a sync client and drive mapping program. There are issues sometimes with corruption when there's powerloss requiring a seafsck but nothing I can't fix when it happens. Nextcloud on the other hand was way too slow with its transfer speeds last year.

>giving restrictions on what someone does with their software browser
lol kill yourself

rsnapshot is what you want to use. not "weekly diffs"

It's not a file browser, retard

I use duplicity. It can take differential backups.

Fucking hell so much nonsense in this thread. Running a few enterprise and personal ownClouds, it's comparable to most SAP level software. Not great but does the job and if properly managed (zfs, haproxy etc.) can't really go wrong. Nextcloud is betacuck version, all the hipsters split off because they didn't want it to be enterprise/commercial, fine, for cutting edge go next nextcloud, for stability, professionalism go owncloud. They are both equally open source and all PHP shit so yes that sucks. There really isn't an alternative other than GoogleCuckDrive or MircosoftOneCuckDrive

>Nextcloud is betacuck version
What's wrong with Nextcloud?

Absolutely nothing. All the good onecloud devs left and joined nextcloud instead. Commercial OwnCloud providers have moved to NextCloud as well. It's still PHP shit so don't expect amazing performance but it's actually pretty clean code and probably about as good as you can get out of PHP. The (android) app is kinda anemic for features though, but it also exposes a WebDAV server so you can use third-party apps like FolderSync (whose OwnCloud features work with NextCloud just fine btw).

yea it's worse.

>what is hard links
literally everything can do that. rsnapshot is the best and most simplistic.