Why are businesses sticking with Windows?

Windows 10 is much-reviled, yet we haven't seen a mass corporate switch to alternative operating systems. Most organizations don't need to run specialized software only available for Windows. GNU/Linux distros such as Ubuntu and Fedora are easy to retrain people to use. RHEL has support available if that's the sticking point.

Attached: distros-1024x768.jpg (1024x768, 127K)

Other urls found in this thread:

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2008.12.linux.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

your shit doesn't work and libreoffice is a joke when everyone uses ms office

>waaaaaahhhh it's not the same as office so it's broken

>no native Microsoft Office, this is important, since a lot of corps use Outlook with Exchange Server
>no native versions of various monitoring software
>cost of retraining dumb ass women, who, despite working on PC for years, sometimes can't do basic shit
>cost of preparing linux distro suitable for workplace
>no native versions of over 9000 various utilities you might need

It's because of Active Directory. There is yet to be a worthy competitor to it in Linux.
FreeIPA and Samba come close, but they're missing all the GUI tools that Windows admins are familiar with.

You sound like as if you have a corporate background. No but really, just because your job at AutoZone requires you to use some Windows database that only works on Windows, it doesn't mean alternative OS' suck

Windows admins need to get good or get replaced.

imagine falling for vendor lock-in

This. Freetards rant about games, Office and Photoshop because they are stupid and short-sighted. It MAY get them onto the home desktops, even the odd business - but for full corporate, you need to come up with an AD/group policy equivalent.

And this shit is the exact opposite of getting that done.

Most companies have been running on Windows for decades and it is what they are used to, which literally is the most driving force. Any new person starting will have used Windows likely at one point in their life and have some familiarity.

If any change is going to happen in the corporate world, it is way more likely to be a shift to Apple, as they have been grooming the next generation of employees to demand their products, even though there is no benefit to use them over a Windows PC in a good portion of corporate jobs other than they simply have been using them in college and like the way they look.

Function is literally an afterthought with most corporate sheep...

They're already there. Sorry you have to read documentation to be able to use them instead of being spoonfed.
>needing GUI tools
Windows admins are truly pitiful.

I work for an MSP - 99% of the time, whenever there is a user from a random company calling in and they use a Mac, it is running parallels/bootcamp/RDP to Windows where they do their real work.

The ONLY time I have ever seen someone in a company use a Mac where they used it for 100% Mac stuff was for Photoshop and mainly for the admittedly nice monitor. Even still it had MS Office which fucking blows on Mac.

ad, group policy, the fact that a lot of enterprise software doesnt run on linux (veeam for example), etc

>And this shit is the exact opposite of getting that done.
You losers really can't help yourselves.

You have to play to the masses to win marketshare, and the masses are retarded. When any moron can go in AD and fuck around making policies easily enough without any prior training, why bother trying something they've likely never touched before? Hell, when I first started working as an admin and had never once in my life touched a server, I was able to figure out making GPOs with minimal reading.

>When any moron can go in AD and fuck around making policies easily enough without any prior training
Is this how companies using Windows are actually run? Admins with zero training or experience?

Have you tried supporting users user? My work literally wouldn't exist without the retarded assholes. A lot of jobs wouldn't.

These people have trouble installing apps on fucking iPhones. They're also the ones managing multi-million dollar trust funds.

You really want people to have to try and support these barely-sentient moneybags in systems more complex with even less coherent/consistent UI design than Windows? You're a mad man.

ITT:
>why windows everywhere
>told why
>"windows admins are shit"
Freetards never make the connection between "spend 20 years alienating your potential customers" and "why do we have no customers".

>fuck around helping old people fix desktop issues
>look for higher paying entry level position
>get position, now you fuck around with servers
>learn on the job

At least how I did it. I've probably fucked up some people environments over the years but at this point I'm not half bad.

Oh my god. You think companies care about IT to pay enough for someone competent!

We didn't alienate them, microsoft did, by pushing proprietary formats and lock in. This kind of stuff is literally illegal.

I've only ever worked at companies which used Linux.
Did you at least have a mentor or something?

Way to miss the point autist. People bring up the ease of Windows system admin stuff being a major factor in corporate buy in and get insulted by neckbeard elitists.

That has nothing to do with Microsoft's anti-competitive nature and everything to do with the people who keep pushing Linux as the true way(tm)

Windows is only "easy" because they're used to it. Someone who has used GNU/Linux for 10 years will find GNU/Linux easy and Windows difficult.

Yes I had mentors - I'm where I work for an MSP. I'd have a team of people I could escalate/ask for help on and luckily my company wasn't one where when a ticket is escalated it goes off and I never see it again, we sit down together and help me through it so I get to learn something from it.

I can understand if a company used linux for their servers but the companies you worked for didn't use linux for the desktops as well, did it? Why industry was this?

>it's not the same as office so it's broken
Exactly. I’m glad it only took two posts for OP to answer his own question

>much-reviled
yeah ok
if you asked a person on the street what an operating system is they would probably say the google

No shit someone using something for 10 years would find it easier than a system they've never seen before - what separates the two is the learning curve. People have a much easier time learning Windows than they do Linux.

Why on earth would we want to develop Linux equivalents to corporate Windows shit especially for free? I don't care about the freedom of the masters. Not having the 4 freedoms hinders the efficiency of their oppression. Developing an active directory replacement for free is maximum cuckholdery.

Linux not having "market share", games, photoshop, etc. has had a huge positive effect. The use of Linux in Android has led to tons of pajeet code being introduced in to Linux. The desire to make Linux normie friendly has led to Gnome, systemd, Amazon spyware, the destruction of Firefox, and proprietary software like Steam. Fuck trying to win the race to the bottom.

Attached: 1533900919024.gif (333x358, 1.83M)

One of them had a single Windows machine for the HR person (and the rest of us used Linux workstations) when I was there, the other has zero Windows machines. Both tech startups doing embedded stuff.

I work at an MSP as well, but we have been getting more and more users that literally demand we shoehorn in their Mac to a Windows server environment despite they literally just use it for browsing, documents, and email (which yes, they use Office on Mac). I say give it about 5 more years, and the people who grew up with Macs in college and use them for their personal devices will have enough pull in the company to start demanding their way, as of right now, you only get kids whose parents own the company demanding the special treatment, but once the average college Mac user hits age 30-35 and they have more pull, it will become much more frequent.

If you want to buy a nice interface around active directory then go talk to Red Hat. They have been doing this for decades now. If you don't think anyone else has been competing in the enterprise desktop space then you haven't been looking.
>Linux
Linux is a kernel.

>I'd have a team of people I could escalate/ask for help on and luckily my company wasn't one where when a ticket is escalated it goes off and I never see it again, we sit down together and help me through it so I get to learn something from it.
That's not so bad, then.

>freetards
>customers
lol

Attached: bobs.jpg (680x680, 91K)

>slavetard
>logic
free as in freedom, not free as in price

windows has the most codemonkeys

>Someone who has used GNU/Linux for 10 years will find GNU/Linux easy and Windows difficult.
Hold my sides please.

Show me an end user willing to spend 10 years getting comfortable with an OS and I'll find a bridge to sell you.

You say, in a thread asking why people and companies don't leave Windows for Linux. Can't have it both ways fucker. Either you want to tear down Windows by people switching, or you want to keep Linux as a sooper sekrit OS only for die hard techies and freedom lovers smart enough to use it.

Oh yeah we see our share of Mac users, and only after giving a real effort of showing them cheaper hardware and making them realize everything they do is doable on literally anything else we can probably get them off it. Luckily some of our clients take a hard stance against their own users on Macs since it usually runs up the bill from additional support time

The 4 freedoms make it free as in beer too.
t. guy with 3 CentOS servers

Attached: ask_if_honor_matters.jpg (480x640, 41K)

You don't need a full 10 years to become comfortable in Linux. A short burst of retraining will accomplish it. The point was that Windows isn't easy, it's only more familiar to people who have never used anything else.

>Either you want to tear down Windows by people switching, or you want to keep Linux as a sooper sekrit OS only for die hard techies and freedom lovers smart enough to use it.
nice false dichotomy

Attached: Liblick.gif (641x788, 241K)

>why are corporate retards retards
At what point did retards who got business and managerial degrees become anything but jokes?
They’re the same as people who get gender studies or modern art degrees but with normal hair.

false, saturation in the OS market is what make it free as in beer, companies will still pay good money for quality software

>at what point
about the time we equated acquiring lots of green rectangles with intelligence and hard work

Attached: 2qvx.png (806x940, 541K)

>companies will still pay for what they can get for free
lol

Attached: 1487373581505.png (600x468, 98K)

they will actually, what do you think all those enterprise sales drones are hired to do?

there would still be money in providing support/training

Your mother's a kernal

Attached: 1531430583386.jpg (349x306, 58K)

Why? Because the world needs some semblance of work without too much hassle and it needs to adapt to humans' limitations.

Windows does that perfectly.
In the corporate world, the majority of workers and producers (90+%) are absolutely computer inept. Heck, technologically inept. They can barely use email or MS office. Now, would you rather use some free-ware (most of which has stipulations to pay anyways if you use it for corporate) or just go for the package that can assist you when shit hits the fan?

Windows 10 is shit, yes. It is horrible. As a single home user, I wouldn't use it.
But guess what, companies need continuous support and will use windows 10 since it sells that.

And trust me, as someone who works in an office, the average worker will fuck up your hardware and software. At least with windows, it's easy to manage and repair compared to the rest.

Backwards compatibility.

Are you telling me you're going to run that decades old program on Linux?

>nice false dichotomy
How is it a false dichotomy? I replied to someone posting "reeeeeeeee why would we even want to make corporate normie software equivalents for Linux" in a thread asking why corporations don't switch.

Excerpts from the reeeeeee post below, since you seem to be reading impaired:
>Why on earth would we want to develop Linux equivalents to corporate Windows shit especially for free? I don't care about the freedom of the masters.
>Linux not having "market share", games, photoshop, etc. has had a huge positive effect.
>The desire to make Linux normie friendly has led to
>Fuck trying to win the race to the bottom.

How is that not arguing to keep Linux free from normies in a thread asking why normies don't switch to Linux?

Attached: this_is_a_real_snapc.png (1080x1920, 1.02M)

Market inertia.

Most old windows programs run better in wine than they do on newer windows versions.

this but regardless of the gui, they're still new and nobody wants to be the one responsible for bringing them into a hybrid environment and start taking over more microsoft software roles until they're 100% sure it won't break absolutely everything due to giving one wrong response to the wrong windows machine

you can't do a complete ecosystem changeover in one night, or one weekend, or one holiday break

They've already been switching in the server and embedded markets. The mobile market is dominated by Linux in the form of Android. With desktops, they don't use it because it isn't pre-installed. It's that simple. And then there are companies like Google who have outright banned the use of Windows on their campuses.

Okay here is something coming from a guy who goes out and services businesses and gets people on systems that are guess what, Windows. Why?

Most businesses with more than 5 people have a windows server to be able to perform domain controls. Things like programs can be installed preemptively, shortcuts added within the domain users, ability to manage and have their desktop and documents remotely on the server, an exchange server environment that allows for perfect synchronization of tasks, calendar items, mail, read/unread, notations all are synchronized 1 to 1 perfectly and IMAP doesn't even come close.

People prefer office programs over libre/apache alternatives. It works great for a single user trying to save a bit of money but when you get into a work environment there must be the compatibility to be suitable for a person of like IQ 70 to do it. You can sit there and show them to choose a file type and that is just one extra step that 60 year old CEO that makes a fuck ton more money than you really thinks it should be your job to deal with compatibility issues.

That's the type of client you are dealing with. None of them are aware or care for computer freedoms. I do. I love computer freedom. I love the idea of a company not having arbitrary control over my PC, but when it comes for people who just want Office, emails in Outlook, and a domain host with share drives, guess what, you are shaking hands with the devil.

Microsoft.

Should we not reintroduce computer literacy courses, certificates, etc.? And have them be platform-agnostic.

What you're referring to as GNU/Linux, can in fact be, BusyBox/Linux, or as I recently taken to call it, Linux because you don't fucking need GNU to run it

most of the replies i skimmed over are bullshit. it's not a lot to do with the software. the real thing is that managers are shit scared to change to another platform. MS created an ecosystem where there are people trained in administering their networks and software. people who have no interest in computers can get MS certified and get a job. managers can find people who "know" the stuff they are using. If they can't find people who will work for a reasonable price they are fucked. The MS cert -> software -> gold partnership ecosystem is a self perpetuating clusterfuck of managerial psychological dependence on microsoft products. there is literally no reason why bigco can't move to linux or something (see google, apple, china, south american govts) other than pure fear and fear is the most effective motivator.

>what is red hat
>what is apache
>what is Ubuntu
>what is winrar

If one makes the presumption that the modern IT is all about the internet, then you have to ask yourself
'Does Linux even have a choice in this matter ?'

A modern computing system is not one that is run from the command line - it is a system that is tied in with the internet Cloud. Just have a look at Windows 10 with Cortana and OneDrive for an example of this done right.

You need the outlook to connect in with the mass of email flowing around us every day. And then there is document collaboration - the sharing of Wordfiles and Excels between users across state boundries ! Voice over IP, cloud enabled 'Surface' computing, and voice command interfaces - all tied together with .NET and the OneDrive.

The driving force behind this internet is the Microsoft Sharepoint Server - a central peice of systems software which connects all these end points together, in a synergistic kaleidoscope that achieves both balance and symmetry.

The smart Vendors know that in order to get ahead in the future IT, that means integrating with the Cloud.

Linux has nothing on the Cloud.

>Windows 10 is much-reviled
I like it. It's objectively better than any previous version.

>implying all Windows admins need GUI tools.
I install server core to piss off my co workers

wtf are you on about retard, the cloud practically is linux... what do think google and amazon are built on? what do you think docker is?

>AD and Group Policy
What is FreeIPA and Puppet

Too difficult to use, apparently. Not enough shiny GUI tools

>yeah because there's no way to have a linux client authenticate to a windows AD domain...
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2008.12.linux.aspx

Windows admins just don't want to have to learn anything new, ever.

>winrar
I fucking loled.

Attached: 1534091190619.png (1366x768, 1.69M)

F

;-;7

Attached: 1499992679332.jpg (670x503, 31K)

It won't happen

I dont see how this will happen at all.
Windows 10 is far more powerful than Windows 7, and runs twice as fast. It is also much harder to pirate, and this point more than anything else has the Linux crowd in a panic.

It wont be long until Windows 7 is no longer supported, and when that happens, what is Linux going to do ?

Linux will have to find a way to work under Windows 10 from here on, since it wont be able to rely on 7 being readily available anymore.

Linux may seem like a good alternative to Office, but all that is happening in linux is that the windows interface is cleverly hidden away. It still needs the drivers and software services in order to run, and in most cases - that happens WITHOUT a valid windows licence.

This is just plain piracy.

Windows 10 will finally put an end to this blatant abuse of intellectual property, and linux should decline, taking the pirates with it.

Anyone that supports the continuation of Windows 7 in place of Windows 10 surely has a hidden agenda .. and you will surely be caught out.

@67141908
what the fuck am i reading

Linux looks very interesting, even if some of the screen colours and menu options appear to be a little out of the ordinary.
But you are missing a vital point, a point which takes some experience and depth of knowledge in the field of computers. You see, when a computer boots up, it needs to load various drivers and then load various services. This happens long before the operating system and other applications are available.

Linux is a marvellous operating system in its own right, and even comes in several different flavours. However, as good as these flavours are, they first need Microsoft Windows to load the services prior to use.

In Linux, the open office might be the default for editing your wordfiles, and you might prefer ubuntu brown over the grassy knoll of the windows desktop, but mark my words young man - without the windows drivers sitting below the visible surface, allowing the linus to talk to the hardware, it is without worth.

And so, by choosing your linux as an alternative to windows on the desktop, you still need a windows licence to run this operating system through the windows drivers to talk to the hardware. Linux is only a code, it cannot perform the low level function.

My point being, young man, that unless you intend to pirate and steal the Windows drivers and services, how is using the linux going to save money ? Well ? It seems that no linux fan can ever provide a straight answer to that question !

May as well just stay legal, run the Windows drivers, and run Office on the desktop instead of the linus.

>wahhh why wont anyone use linucks like an intellectual like me waaahh

The answer is technical support. Windows is 1000 times easier to fix windows than linux since there are millions of troubleshoot guides out there for it.

Attached: f60.jpg (250x249, 6K)

Your inferiority complex is showing.

Freetards are their own worst enemy - but too busy blaming everyone else to see it. Like the drug addict living in the dumpster behind the Chinese take-away.

Attached: 3443930495_1e8a5b2bb7.jpg (500x484, 142K)

Its very interesting how this kind of thread usually goes. Usually someone asks why Linux isn't used much by large Enterprises. Subsequently, people reply and give actual answers but idiots on here seem to think this is some kind of argument and respond back with idiotic comments like:

Consider the following. You are a bright employee at Bigcorp, a multinational consultancy with over 200.000 employees spanning the whole globe. Currently your company runs on windows 7 and is planning on migrating over to windows 10. The way its planned now is that almost everything will automatically migrate smoothly to the new operating system, including mailboxes (service mailboxes as well), excel tools, internal applications that were constructed with .NET before it was cross platform, etc etc. Now you are tasked with convincing your CTO that you should actually migrate to . Your CTO asks you to draw up business case where you are supposed to justify the many millions (maybe even billions) its going to cost your company in completely restructuring the whole IT architecture, retraining all your admins and your IT department, and the cost of the productivity loss of literally all of your 200.000 employees untill they learn the new OS and are able to be as productive with it as they were on Windows (assuming this is even something feasible).

So like, don't try to argue with people telling you why its not being done. Go work at an actual big enterprise to see for yourself, and then start making threads here with an actual sensible idea instead of just laying your bullshit out there and then expecting people who actually have jobs to explain to you why the sky is blue lmao.

Underrated AF

Windows Active Directory
MS Office
MS Exchange
Legacy software
MS SQL Server
It's usually one of these, or a combination of.

Look at all that fragmented garbage
Freetards can't get their shit together

Vendors simply don't want the GNU part. They release Linux devices for normies without GNU such as Android and Chromebooks.

Because most freetard shit is garbage.

This.

This x1,000,000

Freetards are like little kids with their macaroni art that they want you to hang on your refrigerator

Superb reply, saving this.

Imagine where desktop Linux would be if all that effort was focused on one distro. People need to stop forking when they don’t like the default wallpaper or whatever freetards get their panties on a bunch over.

200k employees is overshooting. Even with over 500 employees, the loss of productivity would be enough to cripple a medium-sized business. In my business, I would see turnover in the higher ages (50+), outright rejection and complaints from the middle age group (30-49) and rolled eyes from the younger crowd (18-30). Of course, that doesn't even begin to deal with the costs of changing the actual infrastructure. There are only two members in the IT department (an engineer II and myself) who are comfortable enough with any flavor of Linux to do the work required to manage an existing setup, let alone actually go through the work to get it production ready. This would be a nightmare for an industry that is customer-focused with minimal interaction with a PC.

Never forget that end users can and do derail deployments. I have been through many a great and successful change just to have user or branch politics totally destroy projects and lead to massive losses of time and effort. Switching end users to linux would lead to mass demonstrations at most large companies.

The Italian military switched to Libreoffice

oh boy its marketshare is still 2%

If you run a sales driven organization it's most likely that your people will need:

email
messaging
browser
word processor/spreadsheet
password manager
some way to lock the rest of that shit down

If you're not paying MSFT for these services, you're probably paying some third party that provides a SaaS or an open source vendor, or a consortium of linux consultants.

Oh also LDAP. It's nearly impossible to be a technology forward company that doesn't use microsoft products because at least one dumbo wants it.

>Windows 10 is much-reviled
You've gone wrong already, it's much-reviled in the circles you hang out in, in general it's not.

You obviously have never worked a real job if you are asking this question. Whatever it takes to fit in on Jow Forums though I guess

>buy a product because salesmen are up your ass
>get used to it
>now it costs millions just to even think about switching to a competitor
>the vendor is now free to price gouge you and add malicious features to the product and you can't do shit

we know exactly why it's done, the point is that this is vendor lock-in and the high cost of switching is exactly why you shouldn't use them. your business doesn't even get anything for paying this cost either, the only real result is that the price of support goes WAY up.

it's not even just microsoft doing this, it's pretty much every fortune 500 that does B2B, but that doesn't mean you should start rationalizing it like an asshole, step outside the fucking bubble

Propose a viable alternative then :^^^^))))
Oh wait there aren't, freetards are worthless.

the alternative is to not blindly listen to salespeople and actually practice responsible procurement
>freetard
yes, good boy, keep on insulting people who try to show you freedom, never once doubt the intentions of your master

Hahaha look at all the trash software!

#t-rekt

At least at my company, every six months, the big windows update of the season that renders your computer useless for an afternoon as turned many of my coworkers to Linux.