The AMD Threadripper 2990WX is memory Bottlenecked. It's no good for general purpose desktop usage...

The AMD Threadripper 2990WX is memory Bottlenecked. It's no good for general purpose desktop usage. The 2950X is the star of the show.

Attached: 2990WX_Memory_Bottleneck.jpg (2558x1440, 315K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=2
youtu.be/mK9bTzIWIQA?t=29
twitter.com/AnonBabble

WX only runs in NUMA mode, retard.

yeah, everyone knew that having only two dies managing RAM for all four wouldn't work that well on memory sensitive stuff
hopefully they managed to fix this on zen2 somehow

>winbabby problems
Welp, Michael didn't do RAMsmp benchmarks with his 2990WX.

>AMD mak big mone
>INTEL mak big mone
>4chanR neet neckbeard mak no moneh
>INTEL shills salty
>AMD shills not salty fo now
this shit right here desu

Windows is shit compared to Linux

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=2990wx-linux-windows&num=2

They are selling a defective epyc server cpu for 1800 dollars. We have seen things like this for a long time. Better for them to do that then toss them, or disable 2 cores and make it a 2950x

I don't understand why they didnt just route one channel to each die.

>Windows
Not even once for high end.

Attached: A_Look_At_The_Windows_10_vs._Linux_Performance_On_AMD_Threadripper_2990WX_-_Phoronix_Forums_-_2018-0 (648x640, 49K)

Goddamn, Windows is such garbage. I can't believe people still use this trash OS. Normalfags are so pathetic.

Windows 10 has a trash schedular that does not do NUMA correctly. I doiubt MS will fix it either because 'use Windows server then fuckers'.

MS need a kick in their collective balls.

Its fine the 2990wx is just defective. I9s dont get choke up on it

so you're saying that running those benchmarks on windows server instead of windows 10 pro would yield better results?

Attached: 1527228859443.png (657x539, 110K)

Maybe. Someone needs to test it.

If it was defective it would perform just as bad on Linux but it doesn't. It's Windows 10 not being server grade OS and not supporting high core count NUMA scheduling. You can work around it by using process lasso per app but it's not the ideal. 2990WX is server grade not consumer grade so will perform much better on Linux and server grade OS's.

I9 got 90k mips in windows using less cores, there is nothing wrong with it. 2900wx is actually gimped

>it's AMD's fault goys! trust us!

Attached: 1527530128070.png (817x443, 34K)

Mmthe memory is gimped it doesnt really matter if you find a work around or not. If they sell it as a work station cpu you should be able to use it on a windows workstation like normal

Go back to /v/ please. The adults are talking.

No it's Windows not working well with AMD's hardware otherwise it would be exactly the same in Linux. Win10 favors Intel binaries right now. The schedular needs updating but I have a feeling it won't be. MS probably don't care.

>Windows
>Workstation
kek

All this cpu is good at is rendering, someone would most likely be doing that on windows. Its too gimped to do anything else without disabling half the cores and rebooting

so why would someone buy a 2990WX ??? where can they use it at maximum power?

My based 2700x is still up there.

The 2990WX is just an exercise in core epeen. Good for certain workloads. Shit for everything else. Best deal for a workstation is the 2950X. If consumer just get a 2700X for general purose.

>Implying anything else is good enough for engineering
Not everyone strives to be a code monkey

you pay more than twice as much for 2 more gimped cores in the 2990wx. Its actually retarded

>Intel shills are this ass blasted
LMAO'ing for real right now.

>windows 10 """pro"""
Though, why does windows performs the worst?

MS has not optimized their schedular since forever. Every time they updated Windows they just built it on top of a shitty base. It's like a cake with a standard core and lots of fancy icing on top to hide the shitty sponge inside.

The memory controllers are gimped its not windows fault only 2 of the 4 cpu can access the ram directly.

TR2 will be branded shit over this, even if MS fixes the scheduler in 10 these first wave winshit benchmarks will be dug up and used to compare against new CPU's. fug.

It's windows' fault if Linux is kicking it's ass on the exact same hardware. Fuck off.

The graph in OP is showing not a problem with the 2990WX but a problem with Windows 10. But idiots will see it as an issue with the processor. The very fact that it has no such issues in Linux proves this.

Im sure there are plenty of linux applications that will exercise the memory and make the gimped 2900xw coke up. No schedular is going to make it run like all 4 dies can access the memory

blender, luxrender, compression/encoding. cpu's like this and the i9-7980xe are niche cpus aimed at professional users. Recommending this cpu to a regular pleb would be like recommending a nvidia quadro for gaming.

Explain this then

AMD shills working overtime I see.

2990 is a pile of shit.

>getting mad at people because your jelous
>t.poor fag
okay then its not like you can afford it anyway.
also you could only dream to own the intel ones let alone amd.

>running server-centred CPU on non-optimised-for-server OS
>complaining why it runs shit there

Attached: 1533736768942.jpg (549x549, 62K)

Ride or die for AMD, HOOD NIGGA!

It's a piece of shit that exists only to stroke AMD marketing cock.

>cringe, the post
holy shit, who talks like that

People who talk like you get beat up at middle school, faggot.

>general purpose

yeah lets buy a 2000 cpu to run excel sheets and play games
surely its worth the money on this things

How long is this "hurrdurr 2990 is shit" narrative going to last?
It's already sold out everywhere. You're too late if you're trying to shill against it.

>be OP
>still sucking cocks

Agreed. 2950x with its 4.4ghz boost and 800$ price is just amazing. It even beat the 7980xe.

Just can't understand why he overclocked it to 4.1. He lost out on IPC

Can anyone with a triple digit IQ explain why this is happening? My brain hurts.

Did they just fucking delete "-march=native" from the screenshot just to shill?
Pretty sure Phoronix built everything with it.

Proprietary benchmarks are useless.

In a nutshell, Windows doesn't even know what to do when it has so many cores available to itself. They probably won't fix it and instead tell people to use Windows Server.

>How long is this "hurrdurr 2990 is shit" narrative going to last?
who cares? those dumb shills just simply ignore the fact that the 2950X kills Intelaviv's 7980XE

Just checked the original review.
They are so fucking inconsistent with gcc build options.
Sometimes they use "-march", sometimes they don't.
So weird.

what does this show exactly

>cannot even read the graph
People like you should be perma-banned from this board.

tl dr
microsoft sc is worse than garbage and knowning ms they will take their sweet time untill intel finds a way to hamper amd untill they fix it

linux handles the topology like a boss and fuck them in the ass

retard

Until AMD fixes it. Oh wait, they can't.

because surely its amd fault right?

just like ryzen for 6 months was a total shit on windows no matter how many bioses and patches from amd and manufactures..up untill ms released a patch that fixed somewhat the situation..

You just have to wait until pajeet poos on cpu or use Linux which runs perfectly. Funny that...

i see the 2990wx is still better than i9 garbage

>performs a lot better on loonix
>it's the hardware's fault lol
Imagine being this retarded.

How do you plan on feeding DMA to those cores that don't have it? Wasn't infinity fabric supposed to solve this? What's the solution? Besides scheduling around less memory latency cycles to the cores that don't have access?

i have no idea how they will work it out or how linus did it
unless they paint those cores as threads and prioritise them as such but with bigger workloads

intlel shills are seething Threadripper 2 has made i9 completely DOA.

lmao

>4+4 Core Die
>Pathetic Single Channel to feed it

Yeah that sounds like a WAY better idea

Also the pinout wouldn't allow that anyhow

>AMD Unboxed can't even defend how underwhelming TR2 is
>gotta shill more for AMD and releases another video ignoring all of its weaknesses

What a scumbag

>AMD
lmao @ ur life

Steve knows Windows 10 scheduler is fucking shit

youtu.be/mK9bTzIWIQA?t=29

it was a dead giveaway since when we saw the phoronix benchmarks..

The hardware has memory in a NUMA configuration and windows handles that poorly
retard

Spotted the wangblows apologist

Attached: 1525353398975.png (1066x600, 429K)

>workstation CPU is not good for general computer usage
What did he mean by this?

Remember kids, gaming benchmarks matter only if intel is in the lead

Attached: 1534204513692.png (1920x1080, 611K)

I don't understand how it can be getting these results in CS:GO though

Wait what, how?

He's dumb, if he had used PB Overdrive he'd gain both ST and MT performance

>very low settings

yes, I can read
why wouldn't it be the Intel CPU shining in CS:GO as usual though?

massive L3 cache compared to SKL-X

see skylake-x was lackluster in games because they reduced L3 cache size in favor of L2 cache for memex512 workloads that no one uses for anything

not sure why amdrones are celebrating

skylake-x is an abomination and it still trades blows with threadripper

amdrones keep harping that intel's i7 lead isn't that much compared to ryzen but this is literally the same in reverse

dem price tho, the 16-core is tempting

7900X was always an abortion of a CPU

>skylake-x is an abomination and it still trades blows with threadripper
The 2950X is $899 and trades blows with the $1900 7980xe.

The 2990wx, in an OS that can handle NUMA properly, beats the pants off the 7980xe for its intended workloads.

Don't know how much more you want, honestly.

>skylake-x is an abomination and it still trades blows with threadripper
That's like saying Bulldozer was trading blows with sandy bridge.

>skylake-x

Attached: BINGBUS.png (5098x1500, 2.29M)

It's an effective stroke of the marketing cock, though.

Moronix was pretty much wccftech tier on Jow Forums before the newfag plebbitors infested the board. It boggles my mind that it's being cited as credible source now.

It only got to where it is because of the nouveau (nvidia reverse engineered open driver) team posting updates through moronix in early nouveau days.

>defective epyc

Attached: 100483.png (650x250, 35K)

correct, but compared to threadripper it has had good single thread performance

Server and Workstation are different markets with different tradeoff choices.

>memex512 workloads that no one uses for anything
yet there is an circlejerk of inteltards who buy intel CPUs solely on avx512 benchmarks.
Even scientific research on peptides and protein dissolving simulations don't use that much precision.

and almost double the power consumption for a single core.

Phorotard would suck intel's cock for free.
He uses clear loonix in almost all his benchmarks...
like anyone uses it besides 2-3 inteltards.
What would you expect from someone that uses Ubuntu as a base?

thanks for your contribution, but I would like to find why this threadripper is suddenly pulling ahead in CS:GO

because skl-x has mesh and low amount of L3 cache

No, it's Windows bottlenecked, Linux benchmarks are fine.