$300 for what was well known back in the day as the absolute bottom feeder of PC brands

>$300 for what was well known back in the day as the absolute bottom feeder of PC brands

Thanks, LGR and other Youtube celebs for making it all possible.

Attached: packard bell pc.png (1283x745, 210K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ivAZkuBbpsM
youtube.com/watch?v=sudRK6-qL-A
youtube.com/watch?v=FNaH4L51cts
youtube.com/watch?v=YkH3C8ciyqc
youtube.com/watch?v=1ai9jtJHYow
youtube.com/watch?v=wh7gRoYgUpc
youtube.com/watch?v=9CSrp65nYnA
youtube.com/watch?v=h5Q9loiBJfs
youtube.com/watch?v=ycjNyud0RMc
youtube.com/watch?v=RvQlp7RC13c
youtube.com/watch?v=wOY4KOhYtcc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you dont want it dont buy it.

I don’t see anyone buying it. Just a dipshit not knowing his shit is shit.

>checks auction
>doesn't even have a hard disk

>LGR and other Youtube celebs
Nah, antiques/collectables have been this fucked since stupid shit like storage wars gave every piece of human garbage their next greatest get rich quick scheme.

Everyone thinks that everything old or somewhat uncommon is worth a mint.

I was born in 97 so I don't remember this time at all. Can any oldfags tell me what was the deal with Packard Bell?

Just a run of the mill supermarket PC vendor like Dell or Gateway or anything else, mostly focused on shitty entry-level systems.

You are an old fag already

Founded by a couple of Israeli entrepreneurs in 1986 who bought the name of a former radio manufacturer. They had a reputation for selling the absolute shittiest garbage PCs with the cheapest parts and poor Q/C. Half the RAM was soldered to the motherboard and they also ran slow as molasses because they omitted the L2 cache RAM. Their tech support also really sucked. The things were sold in department stores and at wholesale clubs to stupid people and tech illiterates.

Packard-Bell withdrew from the North American market in 2000 and is now owned by Acer.

Go to the Google Groups archive and search for "packard bell" or better yet, "packard hell".

Give them ten bucks to take that thing to an electronics recycler.

Since when was Dell a supermarket PC vendor? They've always been a premium brand AFAIK.

Have you lived under a rock or something? Dell's always serviced just about every segment of the market there is. They're a universal PC vendor not unlike modern day HP.

This.

Storage-wars and pawnshop shows ruined it long before LGR and his crew stepped on scene. As far as I can remember, LGR doesn't harp on pricing of old tech, he just wants to get it running so he can see if it'll run his favorite meme of a game

Attached: 1456726383290.png (515x518, 298K)

Look at the sold listings, most are about $100

VintageFAGS will defend this

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-14 packard bell in Computers, Tablets, and Networking eBay.jpg (830x7330, 1.48M)

>VintageFAGS will defend this
On what planet?

People actually buy this trash? Are you running a museum? Let this shit get recycled.

I mean, fuck, this isn't an SGI workstation we're talking about here.

I remember when gateway was fucking HUGE.

That was the first time I ever really got into PC's because it was the first time they were really affordable to our family.

>tfw 10 years ago you bought tons of old consoles and electronics
>tfw the prices are insane today

JUST FUCK MY HOBBY UP

Attached: 67c5d9917306680ba5170980d13c2986.jpg (1200x800, 104K)

>People actually buy this trash?

Actually no, they don't.

And not a single one of those will find any takers.

Who is this chick? Hot AF

Not really, no.

>tfw seller says he can't test it because he doesn't have a power cord
>tfw the photo has a PC in the background that uses the same standard power cord

Attached: 1443463611216.jpg (320x240, 33K)

Those are SOLD listings

underageb&

>2018=1997=21
Derp de derp.

reverse search nigga, haley reid

That was a $1800 pc from Montgomery Ward's back in 1991.

Time on Jow Forums stopped after 2007, newfag

I'd pick it up if it showed up at my local anything-for-$5 shitbox dealer but nobody who actually knows what they're doing is blowing that kind of money on something like this.
I started unironically looking for Packard Bells after I noticed this shit. I could undercut the fuck out of these shitheads and still make all the pain worth my while.

I wouldn't even pay $20 for a Packard Hell.

>really want a desktop PDP-8 compatible to fuck around with
>all the private collection sites with info on them are from like 1995-2005 and rave about how cheap and easy they are to find
>tfw the only relevant ebay listing is this bullshit
neck me

Attached: decmate.png (1260x678, 320K)

That's what happens when nobody can make money anymore.
> yfw inflation even touches autismo hobbyist sectors.

In France I'll blame TV. They started a "vintage electronics" fashion 4 years ago. Prices got mutliplied by 3 or 4 in a month or so.

Like with most nowadays' problems, the first step of the solution is to hang all journalists.

Minicomputer collectors are mostly old rich guys like Paul Allen.

>really want a desktop PDP-8 compatible to fuck around with
Why though? Get a VIC-20; you can at least play Dig Dug on that.

Yeah, they don't really seem to spend boatloads on their actual systems though, it's mostly just a matter of space for stuff like that.
Old games are pretty boring to me honestly. I'm more interested in messing with FOCAL and just having a cool piece of engineering.

I've already got a VIC-20 in the box anyway, I can't stand the crappy display quality of early home computers.

>I can't stand the crappy display quality of early home computers
You're not stupid enough to use it with the RF output, are you?

>that one at the bottom
gib

Sometimes, but even with a crisper display there's still the resolution and color palettes that get me, among a bunch of other completely subjective reasons. I still keep some around and appreciate them for what they are but they'll never be my favorite examples.

DEC's pre-VAX/MIPS desktop systems are pretty fascinating mostly in just how far they pushed the PDP-8 and PDP-11 architectures into roles nobody ever would have thought they would be viable in, plus I love the sheer simplicity of the PDP-8 architecture and all of the history behind it.

>Old games are pretty boring to me honestly

Attached: img-74774.jpg (450x475, 41K)

Why waste money and electricity on a VIC-20? Just emulate it like a normal person.

>Why waste money and electricity on a VIC-20? Just emulate it like a normal person.

Attached: f89e898.png (785x792, 73K)

Being old doesn't justify wasting resources hoarding garbage, user. You can just as easily play those old games on a RetroPie, and it's way easier too.

Sounds more like denial to me.

Do you think LGR got where he is by using RetroPies?

>respond to a question with some shitty ad hominem maymay
>hurr it’s all your fault we can’t be rational
why are commodore shilling faggots literally the worst retro posters, fuck off back to where you belong

What are you talking about retard?

meant to quote

I don't care about LGR, he's a hipster faggot.

Thanks, LGR, youtube, and more or less everyone, for making good old CRT TV monitors like the Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KD-34XBR960 and it's derivatives literally impossible to find, and even if you find one it costs and arm and a leg.

Are you trying to compare yourself to LGR because you waste your time playing games on trashy old consumer toy computers for no monetary or social compensation?

>for no monetary or social compensation?
Dude makes a lot of money from his Youtube channel and he has a collection of female admirers.

Exactly, what do you do with your dumpster dives?

same whoops! wrong model number! I meant the Sony PVM series of monitors.

>Exactly, what do you do with your dumpster dives?

Sadly this isn't 1997 anymore and instead of finding 386 PCs in dumpsters, you Yeah.

I can't imagine how autistic you have to be to actually pay for that shit when that shitty Raspberry Pi in your drawer will still perfectly emulate 95% of it.

I get it, you're a marketer and you're trying to sell Raspberry Pis.

Clint did nothing wrong.

I get it, you're a luddite and you're desperately trying to justify your garbage collecting.

>doesn't deny being a marketer
:^)

>ebay

Attached: X7SIU.jpg (467x700, 102K)

:^)
I actually hate Pis though, I'm just using them to exemplify how easy it is to not be a cluttered mess. Lots of good Windows and Linux emulators nowadays.

I do appreciate them. These nostalgia fags hipster gaymer losers are the same, you know.

Attached: soyboy 4.jpg (2125x1573, 343K)

Try and do this on a Pi, kiddo.

Attached: img_4774_377873_l984.jpg (4592x3056, 2.53M)

>shitty Raspberry Pi in your drawer will still perfectly emulate 95% of it
Nigga please. Pi emulators are trash with fuckton of rendering/timing errors. If you want perfect shit get a real thing you fucking pleb.

PCem+SheepSaver

>used to get PS2s for $7 each at Goodwill
>now they put anything decent on eBay and the prices are higher
Following the console trend I should be regularly finding PS3s on the shelf for $7 at this point

It could browse Jow Forums, display a desktop and connect to a BBS infinitely times faster and better. It could even display that on a meme tube.

>but MOM this one obscure game nobody gives a shit about for any reason other than nostalgia has RENDERING ERRORS! it's not the same!
Play something else that was actually written by a competent programmer then? It was the golden age after all.

BTW, DOSBox does have some flaws and stuff it doesn't emulate particularly when it comes to the very early CGA PC stuff from 82-85.

For example, Dig Dug is supposed to blank the screen between levels to hide when it redraws the playfield because it looks cleaner that way. DOSBox doesn't emulate the CGA video disable register so this effect doesn't work.

Attached: dig dug.png (640x400, 4K)

Did you play Dig Dug because you actually enjoyed it, or did you play it because it looked "clean?" That hardly justifies some bulky old power sucking monstrosity on your desk.

youtube.com/watch?v=ivAZkuBbpsM

youtube.com/watch?v=sudRK6-qL-A

Apple II stuff also never quite looks right on emulation. The aspect ratio and colors are way off from the real thing.

Oh, no, god, not the aspect ratio.

youtube.com/watch?v=FNaH4L51cts

youtube.com/watch?v=YkH3C8ciyqc

If you would compare the two, the sound and fluidity of the animation on VICE isn't quite as good as the real thing.

>guys, guys, you see, I HAD to spend my entire paycheck on this thing, the sound wasn't authentically shitty enough and the choppy sprite animations didn't have enough fluidity!

That's why actual hardware infinitely better experience compared to an emulator written by some student simply out of curiosity and without any intentions to make shit work properly.

youtube.com/watch?v=1ai9jtJHYow

youtube.com/watch?v=wh7gRoYgUpc

Most emulators are written by people who intend to use them, usually minor incompatibilities arise because they actually work better than the hardware they're trying to emulate which was typically a bug-ridden piece of shit that barely confirmed to its own specification.
Man, you sure showed us. That shitty bleeper sound was so much warmer!

youtube.com/watch?v=9CSrp65nYnA

youtube.com/watch?v=h5Q9loiBJfs

Again you can see the real Apple II has nice 60 fps animation that's lost in the emulation.

I don't get the obsession with old consumer pc tech. Most of it was quickly outdated garbage.

They need to play Alf: The Game(TM) with perfect 60 FPS animations to best show off that two color palette. The emulators just aren't the same.

youtube.com/watch?v=ycjNyud0RMc

Here's Frogger on a Model 4. It runs a bit quicker here because the Model 4's CPU is faster than the Model 1's and you also have cleaner graphics with fewer artifacts due to the improved video circuitry.

unless you're one of those british guy with a stockholm syndrome all of the 8bit microcomputer games from the 80's are trash, arcade ports were atrocious even going in the 16 bit era its still shit, fuck these euro platformers.

DOS gaming was an aftertought and was never good until the mid 90's

youtube.com/watch?v=RvQlp7RC13c

Pac-Man on the Apple II. This is a really nice port actually and it even has the intermissions from the arcade game (not shown here though).

Do you have any idea just how underage this guy is? 15 is even pushing it.

you're either a troll, delusional or you have never used mame

> complete with clicky keyboard

Attached: 1528411456842.jpg (718x960, 93K)

The sound isn't as good, but the Apple II's sound capabilities are pretty limited. However, most home conversions of Pac-Man didn't have the intermission screens so this port gets points added simply for that.

Haha, damn, I feel really stupid now, some hipster who pays hundreds of dollars for old consumer hardware scavenged out of the garbage so he can hear an extra beep in a shitty arcade port called me a kid!

/thread

No emulator will ever truly replace the real thing.

Also DOSBox doesn't emulate composite artifacts in 320x200 mode so you can't display stuff like Archon or Agent USA correctly.

>all of the 8bit microcomputer games from the 80's are trash
I disagree there are some pretty impressive 8bit 80s microcomputer games

youtube.com/watch?v=wOY4KOhYtcc

>replacing all that hardware with an SBC

Attached: 1476473252785.jpg (720x480, 67K)

>1990
>scrolling like its 1983

why don’t you faggots already own your retro hardware? are you underage fags who just got into it through youtube ecelebs. stop complaining, there is no excuse you had all the time in the world to hoard your useless garbage

>SBC
Southern Baptist Convention?