Public Libraries are dead. Nobody goes to them, and their funding is being wasted. Here’s the new plan

Public Libraries are dead. Nobody goes to them, and their funding is being wasted. Here’s the new plan.

CLOSE ALL PUBLIC LIBRARIES. Divert their allocated funding into a centralized budget to be used for a new online library service, where all public domain written works will be preserved and readily available online. Online library members can also be offered a wide range of paid services as well to additionally provide more funding. Public funding can also be used to provide reading devices at cost, services for the disabled, reader development, online courses, etc.

There’s an estimated 10,000 public libraries in the USA. Let’s just say the average cost to maintain each library is $50K yearly. Combined, that’s a total of $500 million dollars yearly. Just think of the online service you could provide with such a budget.

Let’s make this happen Reddit....uhhhhh I mean Jow Forums!

Attached: libbies.png (600x561, 445K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/06/21/millennials-are-the-most-likely-generation-of-americans-to-use-public-libraries/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Cool idea, but explain how to deal with copyright shills. Also, libraries have a bonus of being decentralized, so also address that while addressing copyright.

Why not both? What you're asking for already exists among universities and such, it's just a matter of expanding it to the general public.

You've obviously never been to a library before huh

Why? Because a HUGE chunk of funding is lost to maintaining largely unused public buildings and staff.

>library
>paid services
>reading devices at cost
>reddit

Only an american faggot would try to turn libraries into a paid service

I was at my local library 5 years ago. It was pathetic. This huge building, loaded with tattered books, and about 10 old people sitting inside.

They had a computer area, with about 15 workstations, and they were ALL being used by young dipshits, acting loud and doing nothing but browse social media. It was pathetic.

Libraries in themselves are a PAID SERVICE you idiot. Where do you think funding comes from, yo mama's blowjob fund??

>all public domain written works will be preserved

yeah? And what about other works? Those not in public domain, new releases, old stuff, music, movies, newspapers and magazines and bunch of many other things you can get in some libraries - like vehicle service manuals? Some libraries have subscriptions to very specific services just like the one with car service manuals. They are expensive on their own but in library it will cost you just the paper used for printing.
Getting rid of silly copyright restrictions in the first place would be better than digitizing all libraries and centralizing them.
Op's idea is somewhat good but has many obstacles to overcomes.

Besides if amerimutts would somehow manage not to blow shitloads of money on World Police accesssories then maybe you would be able to have both things - local public libraries and funds to digitize fucking everything.

>unused
>only 10 old people inside
>all the computers are occupied by young people

that doesn't add up. don't make up stories just to bait people. also, "browse social media" means "catch up with their families, interests, and maybe business" if you aren't a retard who can't imagine that the people around you are more than just a set of buzzwords.

>Besides if amerimutts would somehow manage not to blow shitloads of money on World Police accesssories then maybe you would be able to have both things - local public libraries and funds to digitize fucking everything.
/thread

fucking subhuman brainlet

>implying public domain works aren't already available on the internet for free

>this is an unironic idea in the crapitalist world

Library usage is up. I like libraries and think they are a valuable public resource.

Also the fact you estimated the cost of running a library at 50k shows what a gigantic fucking retard you are

>They had a computer area, with about 15 workstations, and they were ALL being used by young dipshits, acting loud and doing nothing but browse social media.
>Wah, I'm too impatient to wait my turn.
Was at the library Sunday, as a matter of fact. I price flights and shit anonymously, because Amazon et al jack up the price if look twice. Yeah, the kids had most of the PC, playing games, but I don't begrudge them. Not everybody can afford Internet and games. I made a reservation at the kiosk and did my thing. Stay mad.

but libraries are comfy, quiet and relaxing and the smell of old books is soothing. The only place that compares is theater backstage areas but there's nowhere to sit there

My public library shrank the overall space it needed for physical books, put up an app where you can get DRM'd ebooks for non-public stuff (where they have a set number of "books" they can lend out at a time), and put the savings into other weird stuff like newspapers from around the world, a lot of magazines, some scientific publications, and the weirdest part I found was that they now have music and movies you can borrow. Also yes, they have a bunch of computers with internet access for the public, pretty good wifi, and laptops you can borrow for the duration of your stay. The extra space was turned into cheap, public event space, which is often used by the library itself to run classes on stuff like "using the internet for old people". Seems about right to me.

Since you're not the developer of all books, you can't call libraries "deprecated". People still use them. Go stand at a bus stop or on a train station platform: You'll see people reading books. If you open your eyes, you also still see people riding horses, people going to concerts and the theatre, people taking walks for fun, people playing board games, writing letters with pen and paper, etc. etc. etc.

Please take your retarded shit to Jow Forums

Don't shit up Jow Forums you basement dwelling mong

Better Idea: Give tax credits to companies who open source their software

Good libraries are amazing these days they have 3D printers you can use, things like resume and interview help, all kinds of classes and tons of other fantastic free services.

fuck you, i love libraries.

we should skin you alive and write books on parchment made of your skin and words written in your blood.

a little edgy but OP would probably be more useful that way

>Good libraries are amazing these days they have 3D printers you can use

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How the flying fuck can one viably use a 3D printer at a library?? That's dumbest fucking thing I've heard, even for shitschan.

It takes hours to print something, and that's if you're lucky it doesn't bork the print job. What do you do, reserve your 3D printer time one month in advance. lolololololol

BOOKS FOR THE BOOK GOD

Tsk, don't hurt yourself, trolling so hard.
1. Low quality models can be printed very quickly.
2. Large jobs could be queued for overnight.
Your lack of imagination, combined with your ignorance suggest a future in politics.

dude stop, youre embarrassing yourself defending such impracticality.

Trump just signed a defense budget of 716 billion US $.
Thanks for the laughs, you utter idiot.

They have a couple, and yes that's what you do you can reserve time on the printer in advance, show up with your model and if you need any help the librarian is there.

Might have said it inelegantly, but libraries are paid for by tax dollars.
Money well spent IMHO.

I've never seen a 3D printer at a library but could definitely see the value in it.

Introduce the technology to kids who otherwise wouldn't have access to it, and familiarize others with it.

>It takes hours to print something, and that's if you're lucky it doesn't bork the print job. What do you do, reserve your 3D printer time one month in advance. lolololololol

Most likely. I really doubt a library would have one for a utility purpose. It's not like it would be there so people could swoop in and quickly print up something they need.

t. jealous eurocuck

somebody has to pay to prevent the europoor pussies from chimping out and trying to kill eachother.

What do you mean I can't compress transparent aluminum at this processing center? And where is your feedstock for aerogel?

Me? I'm from.. France. Definitely not 200 years in the future.

I use the library and I just went and there was lots of people.

Public libraries are for children, boomers and hobos. It should be the one of the first thing to go when money is low. Anything boomers enjoy is super expensive on the tax payer. Kill 'em all.

pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/06/21/millennials-are-the-most-likely-generation-of-americans-to-use-public-libraries/

OP clearly has no idea what he's talking about ad/or is baiting

Why are unironic boomerposters always uninformed

>CLOSE ALL PUBLIC LIBRARIES. Divert their allocated funding into a centralized budget to be used for a new online library service, where all public domain written works will be preserved and readily available online.
What about when the Internet is inaccessible? This is a horrible idea. Also, modern libraries have computers.

>Public libraries are for children, boomers and hobos.
fishhookmaymay.so

>Divert their allocated funding into a centralized budget to be used for a new online library service, where all public domain written works will be preserved and readily available online.
I don't see the point when this is actually a legitimately good use case for blockchain tech. That way you don't need to divert tax dollars into it, because people will volunteer to do it.

that article is talking about college libraries you fagoon. and most those idiots going are desperate weeaboo white bois hoping to get laid.

hesnoteventryinganymore.csh

introduce them to defcad, every kid a liberator in hand

if libraries had scihub like access to scientific papers and a few labs that'd be pretty wicked. basically like a university thinkspace.

>if libraries had scihub like access to scientific papers and a few labs that'd be pretty wicked. basically like a university thinkspace.
I love this idea. I don't want to waste my time and money going to college, but I'm very interested in the pursuit of knowledge.

I was homeless for about 8 years of my life and without libraries I would have had a very difficult time fixing my situation. Having a place where I could go to access the internet and read/write emails was incredibly valuable for getting a job.

Used to be maker houses, but they didn't make enough to pay the rent. Bully for libraries!

>labs in the library
This is the worst idea in this thread and the OP is already fucking terrible

>being this much of a corporate shill
>being this much of a profitist

Attached: serious_sam__xbox__colt_pose_png_by_framerater-dccgbnl.png (313x579, 167K)

Wait, why? A lot of libraries already have computers. Now I'm just wondering what your interpretation of "lab" is. (not him, by the way)

>Public Libraries are dead. Nobody goes to them, and their funding is being wasted.
Maybe in third world countries such as the US, but definitely not elsewhere.

Did you know that a quarter of Americans admit that they haven't read even a part of a book within the last year? It's disgusting, frankly.

>online library service, where all public domain written works will be preserved and readily available online
You mean like Project Gutenburg already does?

When was the last time you didn't have internet?

I'd say my power and/or home internet goes out once a year or so. I technically still have the data connection on my phone, though. If that still counts, then I suppose it's been a very very long time. Still, I like to treat the Internet as something that won't always be there, and have stuff to entertain myself if it's gone.

Well, you could keep an archive of books on your disk. That's basically home library.

What a dumb suggestion. Libraries are what we use to build upon knowledge. What is education without libraries? and education is key to a healthy society. sincerely eu.. maybe usa will wake up one day.

I have a better idea, why won't we close down all churches? They don't even pay taxes and rack in billions a year in "donations".

If there was also a McDonalds inside and people could pay there with knowledge instead of money American libraries wouldn't be empty and serve their purpose.

Attached: 1459274999195.png (470x470, 295K)

Public libraries are not dead in countries that still have functioning societies.

Yeah, I've got some books on my file server, but they're not organized well. Mostly programming books. I could probably do with having more of a variety and maybe cleaning up file names and folders.

I'm down with this, but there are a LOT of churches out there. To stay on the thread's topic, maybe we could turn the churches into libraries.

there are next to no uses for libraries in the modern day unless you want to actively plan for the apocalypse.

60-100k+ yearly + pension per person is not worth what the library offers.

You're probably saying this because most books can be found online, right? This argument is fine, but I think that libraries are organized a lot better. You can walk down an aisle and look at books at random and decide if one sounds interesting. In my experience getting books online, I generally heard about a specific book, then searched it up and found it. If we had a proper digital equivalent to the library, that'd be great. I just feel like the Internet is very disorganized and it can be hard to find what you're looking for.

libraries function as a 'you may also like this' in terms of organization, but they are ultimately shit due to instead of alphabetical, or anything that makes human sense, they use the DD system, which works, but when you can search a genre online with actual words, its so much better.

my main problem is any book that is old enough to be public domain could be served to people infinitely, Information books can also be uploaded and used infinitely, and most likely a subscription fee of a few dollars a month possibly more, could pay for books that are current to be rented.

granted we would need to change copyright law for print media for this to really work out but yea, it would be far easier then fighting the mouse.

Libraries aren't just places to put books.

>American education
You are doing something wrong, European libraries are always packed.

> OMG, this infrastructure is more than six months old! Abandon ship, so we can keep up with the latest trends. Never mind that the old infrastructure was working perfectly fine for millions of people...

Did it ever occur to you that some people just enjoy being able to leave the house every now and then and go do something in the community without having to pay a metric assload for the activity? Of course it didn't, because you spend your entire life sitting in your mom's basement, playing WoW and jerking off to anime.

Attached: nwznepyvkqj01.png (485x443, 64K)

my local library is busy as fuck, there's always 30+ cars there when it's during open hours

nobody is there for the books or computers though
they've got "sensory playdates" for toddlers, they have robotics classes for teens, they've got financial seminars for young adults, they have historical lectures for older adults, they've got knitting for the old ladies
the library is a great community center where i am, but helps to be in a white town

fuckoff. europoors can't even sustain a proper economy without the USA to lead their dumbass away from killing each other through massive wars. Hell, Asians are blowing eurocucks off the planet. If it wasn't for the USA, eurocucks would be taken over by the by chinamen.

lol, so your libraries have been turn into daycares. Fucking communism at work people.

>Let's ditch our only hope of recovery after the inevitable collapse of the modern world

Yeah, I'd also like to properly digitize all the historical architecture and pictures/statues/whatever the fuck else is in museums today.
Then we destroy all that and replace with currently useful buildings and infrastructure.
In the meantime PROPERLY digitize all the books in libraries, Vatican archives and whatever and put all this shit online.

>Divert their allocated funding into a centralized budget to be used for a new online library service, where all public domain written works will be preserved and readily available online
Already exists you retard. Distributing public domain books is something anyone can do and it has already been done. It requires basically no funding anyway.

Also physical books are superior to digital ones, by miles.

If only there was a way you could turn the things you have learned into money...

>Also physical books are superior to digital ones, by miles.
Why do you think so? I always found them awkward to maneuver. Soft cover books are difficult to keep open, like you're fighting an opposing force. Hardcover books, such as textbooks, always took up a stupid amount of space. Not to dismiss your opinion, I just imagine your perspective is different, so I want to hear it.

>Why do you think so?
Firstly because they feel and look nicer, which is of course a quite superficial reason.
Secondly, I don't find that they are harder to manage, keeping them open when reading usually just requires a single finger somewhere, that isn't hard to do and about as complicated as holding an ereader.
Thirdly as a textbook they are usually easier to maneuver, flipping between two or more pages requires less then a second, even with digital bookmarks you can't be that fast, as they each require at least a couple of finger tips.
Fourthly I don't think space is often an issue, I find most e readers too small anyway and you can buy devices to hold your books vertically if you seriously care for space.
Fifthly everything that isn't an email reader really sucks, I wouldn't want to read books on a backlit screen, that slowly but surely leads to headaches for me.
Sixthly the choice is mostly between epub and PDF and both aren't really perfect for digital books, PDF is horrible as it enforces the size of the page, line breaks, page breaks and so on and epub usually looks very plain (it isn't easy to do text decorations) and publishers usually don't bother with making it look nice as readers easily can (and will when it comes to line and page breaks) enforce their own style (probably a huge plus if you have something like dyslexia or need large font sizes).

I have an e reader and I use it occasionally, especially when traveling or so, they are by no means "bad" but I find physical books preferable almost anytime.

No dude, libraries are not dead.
I guess kentucky's libraries are but the rest are full of students at certain days and hours.

Attached: 1512214514278.jpg (254x240, 11K)