Made a simple website and could use some help

Made a simple website and could use some help.
>Be babbys first web developer
>Know just enough code to get by
>See all the censorship across web platforms
>Think: Muh rights because unapologetic libertarian ideologist
>Decide to code website
>Make the entire platform from scratch and have it hosted on GoDaddy
>Asked Jow Forums for advice
>They actually fucking help
>Slowly but surely people are browsing my site, but not really using it
>Not really sure where to go from here other than continue improving the site
I understand my site is probably surrounded with horrible glitches and shit because I am not the best developer out there. I want to learn more about how to refresh page data without having to reload the page. Everything is done through PHP so it's probably not the most efficient. But I am continuing to improve. Something I just recently did:
>I used to have it so websites hosted the images, and unfortunately some of those images have gone offline since then. I now do 100% hosting of images on my site. However there would still be broken links on several older articles. So I made some changes so it will load a default image on a broken image.

That being said I am getting some serious bouncebacks. Something like 89% bounce rate which is horrible in my opinion. I want to improve this. Any thoughts on how I can go about it Jow Forums? Opinions? Thoughts?

1stAmender.com

Attached: 1stamender-logo.jpg (800x800, 102K)

Other urls found in this thread:

1stAmender.com
html5up
color.adobe.com/fr/explore/?filter=most-popular&time=month
coolors.co/browser/latest/1
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-4.2
news.ycombinator.com/newsfaq.html
discord.gg/qCU8Ur
1stamender.com/article.php?articlenumber=1354
ghostbin.com/paste/gc7jp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Look at ajax for refreshing data without reloading. Requires JavaScript of course.

so far I did look at this and it looks very promising but at the same time it seems convoluted to me. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it works without making my code jumble up and screw over. But yes an AJAX solution would be great to help with making the site look more active as it is an active load on scroll, brilliant.

How do you fund the site? Advertising? Donations? Your own pocket?

My own pocket right now. My boss of where I worked at is pretty cool, and said it was okay for me to program on the site and I can get paid during whatever downtime I have. Thankfully I have a paying job that can help fund my little projects. I'm pushing to try and make the site more popular and trying to promote local businesses in the mean time. I'm trying to figure out a script that will pull information on visitors via IP address but then not store a single bit of that info, just use it for the moment for targeted ads and at the same time not keep the data. I wanted to preserve anonymity while still be appealing to advertisers.

Link it.

Encrypt IP address with public key and throw away the private key.

He did. Look at OP at the bottom.

>1stAmender.com
thanks im retarded

This is a cool idea for a website but the design is SHIT. Dude, just buy a better template from somewhere. There are some decent ones for like $30.

I've worked on the design. I try. I need constructive criticism and the only thing that has been viable is people want some flashy animation that disappears and appears elements on the fly and they have these design platforms that have tons and tons of CSS styles compiled by many designers. I am 'one' coder and have hand-coded all the CSS and redesigned 3 times. Give me some obvious: "Fix this it looks like crap" stuff and I can give it a go.

Does this make sense? I can elaborate more if it doesn't.

so what the IP address is a very simple basic pull.

$advertisingip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
$advertisingdetails = json_decode(file_get_contents("ipinfo.io/{$advertisingip}/json"));
/* Inside details is an entire array which has the following containers:
"ip": "8.8.8.8",
"hostname": "google-public-dns-a.google.com",
"loc": "37.385999999999996,-122.0838",
"org": "AS15169 Google Inc.",
"city": "Mountain View",
"region": "CA",
"country": "US",
"phone": 650
//pull files: echo $details->city;
*/
//all the ad variables pull here.

That's pretty much it right there for advertising. No SQL storage or anything. I'm proud of that. I would only reference that advertising details for the advertising to target ads without relinquishing of sensitive customer data or storage of sensitive customer data.

Install HTTPS

it has HTTPS though there are images that load from external sources so doesn't always load HTTPS but on the pages that count it does.

If I understand correctly you plan on using the city from that lookup for some localized ads? Does ipinfo collect data on what lookups you are making?

thankfully it just uses a public database to pull that information that is made useful to any user to access the API.

Hey I make websites as a hobby too, imho the design (html + css part) is one of the major causes for your bounce rate problem.
I think the other major bounce rate causes would be that your site does not include social media entry points. I get that it's what you want but keep it in mind. For the mass, if you isolate from social media it's odd and alien, people like to see these lil fucking stupid icons on their screen. Feels like home eh, fuck them.

For the design, go for lean and clean.
html5up
.net/
has great design templates (for free too) and holy shit did I get better reviews when I chose their tesselate skin.

Your website is functional and it's really cool but it's a really austere, borderline cold. You could go for a pattern with three warm, cosy and inviting colors.

just curious do css3 elements and hyper design look lean to you? I feel it has the opposite effect.

Just saying, you're forcing your images to load with http by typing http:// before your images. Use '//example.org/image.png' instead. What you're doing now causes warnings.

not typing an http or https doesn't cause it to error out? That's a first for me if that is the case.

Define hyperdesign
If you mean fancy scrolls and fuckloads of div yes, I agree with you and yes, I aknowledge html5up.net has a lot of these. I mentioned the site for a good reference of what general design is popular (so attractive to visitors).

>Fix this it looks like crap
Grey gradient background
The default bootstrap blue for the navbar
The light grey #666 background color
Red-ish links on hover in main page carousel

the blue is the selected blue I picked for the color of the site. It is a bit stronger than the twitter blue and is not the original color of that navbar.
I can remove the grey look on the background, what would you pick? I played around it for a while and decided the black to grey as nice looking.
The red I can change. Make it blue like the logo color?

Are you sure about the rating system?
I get that people want feedback but like reddit and other popularity based website teach us (hell even stackoverflow) is that the damn thing is misused every fucking day. Also I bet it'll discourage a lot of people trying to get involved in writing articles cause they'd fear the bad ratings.
I run a music blog and one of the coolest features is that you know nothing about the popularity of your article. You just give to the community. I assure you it feels great. As an admin I keep logs but it's for maintenance/security purpose.

I wouldn't go in a color scheme discussion cause it's your website and it's a taste thing.
I just give you this :
color.adobe.com/fr/explore/?filter=most-popular&time=month
coolors.co/browser/latest/1

godspeed

>one of the coolest features is that you know nothing about the popularity of your article.
Seems like a bad idea for mass-appeal. Normalfags like their trending tabs and rating systems, regardless of the type of content it encourages.

>mass-appeal
>free speech
>ad funded
pick two

Attached: 1290802415329.gif (365x238, 1.81M)

Interesting thought. Honestly I thought I was going a bit oldschool by making it a star system where someone can rate based on a 5 star level though interestingly enough most people just vote with a 5 or a 1.. essentially a downvote/upvote. Maybe I can remove the downvoting option but the idea was to make sure people who say stupid shit the community responds to it in a negative way.

It's called a "network-path reference".
tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-4.2

ycombinator's algorithm is god tier imo
news.ycombinator.com/newsfaq.html

> How are stories ranked?
>>The basic algorithm divides points by a power of the time since a story was submitted. Comments in comment threads are ranked the same way.
>Other factors affecting rank include user flags, anti-abuse software, software which downweights overheated discussions, and moderator intervention.

>How is a user's karma calculated?
>>Roughly, the number of upvotes on their stories and comments minus the number of downvotes. The numbers don't match up exactly, because some votes aren't counted to prevent abuse.

Also the bad comments are greyed out and appear faded but don't disappear.

>"Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif
>Georgia, "Times New Roman", Times, serif
no
>bypassing adblockers
dropped
>greys everywhere
dude

So many copy pasted articles, damn

most sites make you disable the adblock anyway. I chose the web-safe fonts because they are easy to read and working on every system. I could install a custom font but not for a website that focuses on readability. I guess I could fix up the grey look. Just went with a night theme because it was nice and easy to look at and comfortable to read articles on.

Articles needed to be copy-pastad because there was nobody writing. Nobody writes to an empty site. Currently have minimal writing but there is just a little bit. I'm looking to try and increase that. Anything that was copyright flagged has since been removed.

Using more than one H1 header is BAD SEO. Have only one and the rest H2, H3..
You have no description for the webpage.
Define titles for static images on the site.
Compress gifs. The site must be as small as possible for the quickest load which makes your Google rank higher.
Articles should have titles as H2 or H3 for Google to know how to pick them up.
Get a fallback image for articles without them.
Links should be without the tags .php

If you want more help I can register on the website and message me :)

>I chose the web-safe fonts
then you could choose 3 for the whole website not 8

Those are the fonts that are chosen as default fonts to be used on different operating systems that are visually similar but relatively the same thing. such as Arial being equivalent to Helvetica on a Mac.

he's already 1st google result for 1stamender and firstamender so it doesn't really matter. The payload size is a good point

he's kinda right since you kinda have to be more consistent in your fonts

Can you show me an instance where there is more than 1 H1 tag?
And description for a webpage - I thought I added a description in the header tag at some point, is there really no description, what page are you looking at?

>Define titles
Do you mean alt tags? If that is the case I already do. What instance do you mean?

>Fallback image
Thankfully I just programmed this for most of the header images which is fantastic. but doing string edits make server load take forever so inline code is the best way to handle this using onerror=""

Yes and please register on my site and if you want to write on it I will see the article and can comment. I'm the Classical Conservative on there.

1st page (home). Screenshot related.
Looking at home again.

You can add titles so if you hover over it the title appears.

Registered as pandorumx5.

Created a discord server for more talking about webdev. everyone welcome.

discord.gg/qCU8Ur

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (1461x760, 813K)

fixed. go ahead and make an article as well for possible notes. I can comment on it.

ok so, i use these on my website, you should try those out too.
an arrow button where the page scrolls slowly, either left to right or bottom to down.
almost 70% people who visit my site use it and i get a lot of traffic to it.
so check that out.
and as some anons said first try ajax solution out then go around adding other libraries and shit. dont go that route without trying out ajax.

1stamender.com/article.php?articlenumber=1354

Here ya go

can you show me your site with this example?

messaged you

checked and i can't. take doxxing very seriously. have searched but didnt find anything in sites similar to it.
use MouseEvent() and i had issues on chrome and safari because sometimes chrome and safari cannot detect mouse unless it moves.
but firefox and opera were working under any case.
this should help
stackoverflow.com/questions/24217087/how-to-determine-scroll-direction-without-actually-scrolling

then how about 'an' example of the code in action?

You have to do something about those pictures man. Throttle your internet to make this more pronounced, clear your cache and try to load one of the pages listing the articles. The stories jump all over the place as the images load.

appdocumentary.com/2014/10/14/how-to-automatically-scroll-a-web-page-for-buttery-smooth-screen-captures/

alright does this work? you can tweak this.

ghostbin.com/paste/gc7jp

You can set up pages that exist only to gather, process and return information. Then, behind the scenes, you hit that page up and bring those results through to the main webpage.

Interesting. Not 100% sure how it would work I would need to experiment for sure.

lines
8: where we want stuff
13: check box with "onchange" event handler defined
20: defined where we want stuff (in JS)
23: "onchange" event handler function that gets hit up when we click check box
25: check whether checkbox is ticked
27+30: start to download shit. Once we have it; render it
34: clear out the place where we want stuff
39: ajax function to get shit
41: async function (runs once shit's loaded)
42: set request method "GET" and the url to get from
43: go n download shit