How do I actively pursue becoming a better programmer?

I feel like I'm mediocre at best, and since my job is mostly doing the same tasks over and over- I feel I'm never going to evolve without actively trying.

What makes a good programmer g/? What can I do to improve?

Attached: 1530465514612.jpg (600x600, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/3i50x6uT
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Try to build something from A to Z.

Like what?

Attached: 1532863779855.png (3840x2160, 1.61M)

/thread

start with not using javascript

this is how I started:
QBasic, because want to make games
C++, because want to make games
Python, because I don't know, want to make games or something

the good programmers don't become front end developers, I think
front end development is just copy pasta all the time
and if it's not then you are creating some messy framework for a system that never was intended to be used in this kind of way
so no matter what you do it ends up messy
I call it the web-front-end-hell

Rolllo

rolling to do in CHICKEN scheme

Learn lot's of different languages and as you do try making something nontrivial in each of them.

You should learn:
C
Lua (optional)
Scheme
Haskell (or SML)
Prolog
Smalltalk (or io)
Some assembly, imo risc-v but others might say x86.

Make things of theoretic significance, like a little interpreter or implement a complex algorithm.

And from there it's whatever interests you.

Rolling for fizzbuzz
i cant do anything else, its too hard

This is going to sound dumb but do something you like. Think of a cool piece of software you've always wanted. Maybe as simple as a Bash script to show you information about your system you'd find useful, or to show you local weather with a terminal command. Or maybe there's a piece of proprietary but simple software you like that you could reproduce as a free version. I'm doing this with a file manager.

hit me gently with that roll daddy

thanks fuck i know assembly, time to waste my weekends

dfsgdfsdfsgdsf

roll

Chicken good

Aw that's actually sweet advice. Thanks user.

roll

poop

Rollin

if i get xxxxx145 do i take the 45 challenge or the 145?
gonna write in pure C

aaaaaaa

Roll is a cute.

Tfw everything you can think of already exists

Rolling; will do in C or C# depending on what it is

Rolin

Rolling

take a leap, quit your job, and beg a woman to let you live with her (tell her you need help so you can become the next...bill gates) while you train like goku for that ultimate face-off with...the aliens

>design a game engine in unity

don't bite off too much at once. When I pick up a new framework the first thing I build is a calculator. Invest in your tools. Buy the book practical Vim.

i really need some sleep but i almost made it.
The is (one) (small) bug

pastebin.com/3i50x6uT

rolling because i want to actually have a programming job and not be a NEET forever.

Roll

leetcode.com

Just try the past problems and look at the example answers. It'll make you think logically.

Rolling at work

roll me up inside

do something difficult
not some gay programming challenge, something that's actually difficult

why the fuck did you downgrade to Python

programming is the most difficult thing though

What is good etiquette for making pull requests. Is it impolite to keep committing minor changes to spam the maintainer's notifications?

That does not matter.

My Rollan

Rerollan, I ain't doing that shit

You wont become a better program by coding some useless Jow Forums challenge

Improving requires reflection and self criticism. Whenever you program something, observe what your main problem is and actively try fixing that.

Don't know the basics? Can't focus for long periods of time? Code too quickly without planning enough? Get stuck planning too much and can't start? Premature optimization/over generalization? Every problem is different.

You can try reading "The Pragmatic Programmer" for really basic tips, "The structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" If you'd also don't mind learning a different language, and "Design Patterns, Elements of reusable object oriented programming" if you havent

I like watching Jonathan Blow program on twitch (Naysayer88). He is a demonstrably successful programmer and gamedev, so its a good baseline for comparison. He's kind of an asshole and extremely negative though, so take it with a grain of salt

Please someone make the colors so that i (red-green colorblind) can see them too?

creating all the c++ headers to the source files was annoying
writing everything two times
python was a refreshing experience

Start with craftinginterpreters.com

>Basic bootloader
>Fuck you difficulty

Attached: 1534168012665.jpg (480x480, 15K)

Newbe question:

Some of these programs are sort of complex, why write these if some people would author them as a "goal" or something that'd work and be used rather than simply as a training or time killer. Unless programming also has drawer projects like /ic/ where you simply discard your early programs because of how bad they are, but then wouldn't simply writing a cool algorithm or a solution to a problem provide a similar experience?

The git part is about learning how to use git and building a portfolio rather than making an actual project that'll be used publicly.

i got better by re-making all the libraries and frameworks i use just to see if i could. like remake your own version of React or write a http web framework, or a load balancer like Nginx.

Attached: 1264861460.jpg (500x463, 58K)

Roll

razzle dazzle