Why is KDE so good?

Why is KDE so good?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.kde.org/p/1208850/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Why is KDE so good?
Is it?

They keep telling themselves that. Just let them have their moment.

The only thing KDE has going for it is they can say "Well at least it's not Gnome"

why is it so fucking ugly?

I don't know about that,user. Side by side, Ubuntu with Gnome has far fewer issues than Ubuntu with KDE. My KDE machine get's all kinds of random glitches and the weird thing is, they rarely occur again. I suspect it's Wayland related.

>Be using KDE
>Try to stream muh gaymen with OBS
>KDE somehow fucks everything up and causes 90% of applications to show up as black in OBS
>Switch to Gnome and everything works
Kwin's compositor needs to die. I can't even seem to permanently disable it, not that disabling it is a proper solution.

>Thinks CucKDE is great.
*Blocks your path*

Attached: mate.jpg (302x294, 17K)

STOP RAPING THE TRADITIONAL-OK THEME

>install KDE plasma 14 hours ago
>already had 2 hard krashes
aside from unstability its pretty nice, and KDE connect thingy is really good when it works

It's shit

It has the most fucking terrible defaults compared to any other popular DE.

fags

Feature-wise it is, but the design is absolutely poor. They need a designer on the team.

>try out kde because I read that kde 5 fixes all of the problems from earlier versions
>nothing works
>go back to using xfce

GSconnect in Gnome actually works better, oddly enough, considering it's based off of KDE Connects code.

I like KDE for the activities feature and hate it for the bloat. I’d switch to openbox but I like having a different session for my schoolwork. I don’t want to create another account/partition for my schoolwork. What should I do?

Not only are the defaults a shit, but the terminology they use for various settings, and the menus for finding and using settings don't follow any sort of traditions. It's an unintelligible clusterfuck.

>bloated and fragile software
>good
pick one

I like KDE and Plasma but I must say this: I've never had a KDE distro ootb that didn't have some aspect crash or simply not work. Perhaps openSUSE's KDE is the best one. Better than Slackware.

Pretty much every DE I ever used that wasn't XFCE was pig disgusting.
Why can't they keep shit simple, fast and no gimmicky?

Yup. At least you can fix most issues in less than 10 minutes. The DE is generally good and it's tools like KDE Connect are amazing.

>set fractional scaling
>graphic glitches fucking everywhere
>the bug reported is almost 2 years old
Yeah man, it's totally great.

Attached: 1530920327753.jpg (842x699, 42K)

kde is great
gnome is great
we're is great
thankyou everybody

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-14 13-22-53.png (1440x900, 1.06M)

>enjoying things
kys

life is great sir

Nigga, I never find anything cute, but this AI Chan pic is the real shit

it's the best that exists, but still not good

>Best that exist
>Ignore every other option out there
I'll give it to you that it beats gnome but you are seriously fucking high if you think it's the best.

Sums up my feelings pretty well. KDE is pretty feature-rich and performant, but god damn is the UI a cluttered, incohesive clusterfuck. All of that functionality is packed behind a sea of different menus and buttons and shit, and the search feature is worthless. I mean, they've already revamped the settings menu what, 3 times in the past 6 months or so alone?

I also think it's quite an ugly DE, in part due to its cluttered and inconsistent UI, in a way that theming can't fix (so, the opposite of just about every other DE). I can't put my finger on it, but they just do a really bad job of making things distinct, clear, and cohesive, and this carries over to the appearance. Plus, there are just some aesthetic elements that I think are quite ugly--like the big blocky start menu (which can be replaced by several other ugly menus) , or the big blocks that appear when you hover over a tray icon (which, I might add, overlap ever so slightly with the taskbar).

I really think that now that they've tackled the performance issues, they could really stand to just give the UI a complete pass over and try to simplify things a bit. They could also stand to work on stability--I still get hard locks on KDE I get nowhere else, and several programs are just hopelessly broken. Honestly, I get the impression that they're spread way too thin trying to maintain all of this shit. It could do the KDE project well to trim some fat.

>Ubuntu with Gnome has far fewer issues than Ubuntu with KDE

except the huge memory leak in GNOME

Only crashes sometimes on wayland
But on X it's stable as fuck I don't know what you did to crash it

>install KDE plasma 1.5 years ago
>the worst glitch I've seen was the system tray fucking up

>DE
Why? Can't you set a window manager?

Attached: 1533316614128.jpg (1280x720, 436K)

They fixed that.

COOL

>Implying you can't just take 5 minutes to customize the appearance on first install to make it look 1000% better than anything else out there.

Because your definition of good is having the most amount of superfluous bullshit stapled to it.

>and try to simplify things a bit
You mean remove features. Fuck of to gnome if you hate features. The ONLY thing that's a bit "cluttered" is settings, which is inevitable when it's so customizable.

>Install KDE Plasma a few weeks back
>Do okay for a while, enjoying it quite a bit
>One day: "Hm, why is my disk active af?"
>Check top, all cores busy with baloo file indexer
>Eventually see notification
>"baloo file indexer closed unexpectedly. Sorry :( "
>Want to report the crash to help the developers
>Crash report program crashes too
Welp, fuck this

Attached: 1527454504182.jpg (300x212, 12K)

Busy how? My first guess is, your disk is shit and it got stuck on I/O. That's why all your cores were "busy". Could've just as well happened with mlocate.
Though I have to admit, I had some problems in on shitty distros in KDE in the (distant) past. Everything's just fine on gentoo.

It's not. Anyone that says KDE is better than GNOME doesn't use their computer for actual work.

Only footfags deal in absolutes.

Attached: 41cd4a45c85ef23bb3ea3ddf72627f4ffd04d33a52069ade99637d1238272e17.png (680x680, 284K)

>doesn't use their computer for actual work.
That would be 90% of desktop users. In which case GNOME shouldn't be called a desktop environment, but a work environment. Not only because you "get more shit done" but because using GNOME WE is hard work itself.

This.

>Krashes
sorry, not interested.

>only normies pick fiiles reeeeeeeeeeeeee compile it yourself what are you tech illiterate back to /v/

Attached: 1524254850161.jpg (1000x1000, 306K)

Learning that is my life's goal brother. How did you fare learning that?

I've personally had a bad experience with it. It was buggy and kept crashing on Intel 4000 graphics. The UI was unpleasant and was hard to use by default. There were also some problems with integration with the OS I was using, openSuse. Maybe I just had a bad experience with it.

one word: blurred terminals

Attached: freshprince.png (1119x594, 584K)

wtf I love plasma now

But that's the only reason i use urxvt and it doesn't need Plasma.

It has a working filepicker so it's ahead of any other DE on Loonix.
Plus the blur is nice and applied sensibly (unlike Microsoft)
It's been really stable for me since I'm using a stable version (5.13.4 atm)

looks bad and pretty distracting to be honest, I'd rather have a solid color

I tried making urxvt blurred but I couldn't do it. Wouldn't mind switching back to Budgie but I love my blur. Does it have to be a specific compositor?

t. GNOME dev

they removed transparency (they never had blur) from gnome-terminal because it was considered harmful

XFCE master race

I use MATE with a solid black color. It just werks.

Attached: snap.png (751x484, 83K)

Xfeces

This, suck it KDE

Some of us actually use our computers, to get shit done like writing software.

this, budgie and mate are top tier too

best DE desu

>not using Kate and KDevelop

Sorry I use Jetbrains or a text editor. Never even heard of that garbage scrub. Saying vim or emacs might have gotten you some respect... Even atom is nice when set up properly

>dont even know what it is
>I'll call it garbage anyway
thats how I know you're larping

Lmao

>doesnt know what vim or emacs is
>continues attempting to talk shit

This is why i dip into Jow Forums once a year

the fuck are you on? I use vim every day. Thank god you only come here once a year
I'm not even the one you had replied to

Calm down

looks like a budget android UI. ppl tryna make their desktops look like a phone and calling it "so good", yikes.

Attached: actually usable DE.png (1683x1054, 226K)

Watching youtube vids, reading Jow Forums's guides and asking on the linux thread, if you need something else, just read the manual. It is not that hard, user. You should try it.

>dumbshit slinging shit the post

Real niggaz use openbox.

Okay you faggots. I've been using Solus Budgie for over a year now and I am itching for a change and the budgie desktop, while neat, is way too limited. Also the package manager is not nearly as powerful as apt.
I am thinking Kubuntu or perhaps Fedora KDE. How stable are they? Also how much does KDE, after lots of random installs and shit weigh down the system?

Damnit everyone here except myself and two others are know nothing faggots. Probably still in highschool. My b, leaving Jow Forums imout!

>people switch to linux from Windows
>want to make their linux installs look like Windows

Attached: 1534194959054.jpg (638x544, 52K)

just the wallpaper. i dont know why they insist on colour explosion.

turn off compositing. i agree not a great solution though.

That's why they install XFCE, not KDE.

It's pretty good if you ditch their taskbar and use store.kde.org/p/1208850/
plus it has a proper file picker unless the garbage GTK niggers use

KDE died.

Attached: muh_kde_diversity.png (587x510, 351K)