How'ist NordVPN for privacy and downloading without my ISP knowing?

How'ist NordVPN for privacy and downloading without my ISP knowing?
See people in the past recommending and saying it was one of the best, how about now?

Attached: 1507645189014.png (960x873, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

eff.org/issues/national-security-letters/faq
schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/08/more_on_the_nsa.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_disclosure_law
bestvpn.com/the-ultimate-privacy-guide/#avoidus
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

die in pain shill
sage

If you're just download torrents pretty much any VPN is fine.

If you're doing drug deals or trading CP, then you need to be a bit more cautious.

Nord and PIA are the two i generally recommend.

I told you to die shill, ain't nobody buying your shit, pajeet

There are 3 IPs associated with this thread.

OP
You
Me

fuck off

PIA is a scam

shill and sage

How so?

They're the only major VPN provider to be tested twice in US federal courts and both times they gave up zero private information (since they don't keep logs there was nothing to give)

i've been using nord for half a year now, it works

good apps and fast connections (used in China, Europe, and USA)

god bless,
shill

Better than advocating for a VPS that is tied directly to you.

Or bullshit where you're using bitcoin to buy a VPN. Just makes you look more suspicious and unless you've got a way to truly disassociate yourself from the bitcoin wallet, you're still being tracked if you're doing something truly illegal.

Attached: 1471473330305.jpg (3840x2160, 1.46M)

>tested twice in US federal courts
Any US service is not to be trusted. Apple was """tested""" in court several years ago and later admitted that they give FBI any information they request.
Only good VPNs are listed on privacytools.io

Then why were no arrests made using PIA evidence?

Arrests were made, but PIA evidence was NOT used in sentencing, because PIA had no evidence to give.

Again, be a paranoid prick all you want, but if all you're doing is torrenting, you're a god damn retard if you think PIA isn't secure enough for you.

If you're trading your CP collection, yea you probably don't want to use PIA, but honestly you deserve to get caught if you're doing that shit online.

It's just the contrarian edginess that comes with Jow Forums. If it's mildly popular it will get shit on here.

You're retarded. Kill yourselves.

Nice argument.

Nobody is being a contrarian, idiot. It's a fact that US services are compromised. The only countries that give less shit about human rights are north korea and china.

>Nice argument
See the argument here And indirectly agreed that PIA is compromised by stating
>If you're trading your CP collection, yea you probably don't want to use PIA
Shill your honeypots elsewhere, but the majority of Jow Forums isn't retarded enough to fall for the PIA scam.

>the majority of Jow Forums isn't retarded enough to fall for the PIA scam
Bullshit

The majority of Jow Forums just wants to torrent their movies and music without getting yelled at by their ISPs.

They give no fucks about if it's secure enough to run a terrorist ring, or a CP trading ring. Sure, there are a few of you sick fucks on here, but the majority? Fuck off.

You still haven't addressed the argument that PIA was unable to provide any compromising evidence to the alphabet niggers.

>yet another jewtubeViralVpn ad thread

And just for the record, the reason PIA can't be used for CP or terrorist rings is because they still do keep the logs for a certain amount of time (24 hours IIRC). For large scale criminal operations, that is simply too much time, the feds will find out quickly enough. But for smaller criminal activities it will take them several days to catch on, at which point the logs will have been deleted, which has already been proven twice. As the other user mentioned, no PIA logs were used as evidence in the arrests.

Why would I address it when I can't? You literally can't prove this because privacy violations are never made public and PIA is relatively new. Wait for an Apple-tier scandal so you can be laughed at.

>I'm the voice of Jow Forums
I doubt the majority of Jow Forums is from Germany and China, other countries allow torrents.

>they don't keep logs
>keep the logs for a certain amount of time
So they do keep logs.

>I doubt the majority of Jow Forums is from Germany and China
You're right, it's mainly US, which most ISPs do not allow torrents

You're quoting two different people, and the person claiming they keep logs for 24 hours has no evidence and I think they're full of shit.

Attached: 2018-08-14 11_51_21.png (286x99, 4K)

AirVPN has been good to me.

The thing that scares me away from NordVPN is that they advertise on Australian TV in primetime.

I don't think China actually gives a shit about torrents.

Not gonna recommend a specific one but here are some red flags
>website requires nonfree javascript
>provides a custom client/app but not source code
>can't pay by cash
>located in fuck know wheres with no information about who owns and operates the VPN

Anyone use ProtonVPN?
I'm about to install the free version.

Scratch that.

Attached: Capture.jpg (217x214, 13K)

It's perfectly fine for torrenting without fear of getting copyright warning letters and shit.
It's not that good for privacy to be honest, since the VPN is your endpoint. If you're encrypting all your traffic anyway that's good, but the end result is someone still knows what IPs you're connecting to.
For example if you connect to the IP for Jow Forums, everyone knows.

Mullvad/proxy.sh/cryptostorm

That's a bit different, since Apple and FBI are both democrat outfits. There is no evidence any of the VPNs are.

>and FBI are both democrat outfits
...do you actually believe this?

If anything they're on the left side of conservative. They're hardly left leaning in actuality.

The FBI don't real anywhere, they just do what the politicians tell them. Which is generally corporate interests, union breaking, stuff like that.

Hahahahaha

A lot has changed since they investigated communists 70 years ago. The whole top level is packed with hardline democrat activists and their work reflects it.

Idiot, they still vote hardline republican by and large, the organization is made of up conservatives. They might just be more educated than most and see the current GOP as a cancer.

The game is up on that charade a long time ago. The FBI is a democrat outfit working for the benefit of the democratic party.

Lmao, you're delusional, go back to your containment board kid.

Am I the only one

who noticed the huge amount

of space in this thread?

>someone talks about a new processor or piece of technology
>Jow Forums calls them shills at the drop of a hat
>literal fucking shill who uses links to the website itself and desperately tries to fit into the community like a shill
>1 (one) person calls them a shill
why do I visit this cesspit anymore

Attached: .jpg (1402x1983, 1.18M)

Kill yourself, treasonous glow in the dark CIA nig

Attached: 1529631488860.png (540x485, 75K)

Attached: blue-checkmark.jpg (640x487, 34K)

what's a "wypipo"?
and why is there a checkmark next to the brainlet wojak?
is this some sort of Jow Forums thing?

It's a twitter thing

should i be setting my vpn to another country?

The only one id actually recommend for privacy and security is mullvad, its 5$ a month and sometimes a bit slower, but chances are youre buying it for the privacy

Twitter has been giving "Verified" status to nobodies who spew borderline racist content against white people.

Wait, why are you guys on Twitter then?

I'm not, but I know how it works.
A few years back screenshots started appearing around with people I'd never heard of with the "Verified" symbol. I asked and apparently it's easy to get one if your politics align with that of Twitter.

>PIA is a scam
>discussion eventually ends with "they haven't sold information to the FBI but maybe one day they could."
lol

It’s not a scam but they’re still based in the US and that should be a red alarm to everyone. But no one should be using a VPN for privacy anyway and if you’re a pedo just kill yourself.

PIA is good for torrenting, and protection while you're using some public hotspot or other untrusted network.
Since it's based in the US, you shouldn't expect anonymity but for US users it will provide good speeds.

Why aren't you using GNU Social?

Also good if your ISPs routing to specific services is shit (youtube or netflix are the usual suspect)

>PIA is a scam
Yes, because it's not private.
>discussion eventually ends with "they haven't sold information to the FBI but maybe one day they could."
Discussion didn't end in favour of PIA at all. It's just a few retards putting their belief in (((American))) companies who refuse to accept the fact that they're blindly trusting a service in a country which as proven a million times that it can't be trusted.

Glow in the dark CIA nigger is a Jow Forums term.

>proving it can't be trusted
>at least 3 court cases where they could not disclose logs

>at least 3 court cases where they could not disclose logs
And here's where you're retarded for falling for the same tricks Apple pulled.

Mullvad is the best imo
>$5 a month
>no logs
>ez port forwarding
>decently fast
>can pay for it in a variety of ways, including cash envelope
>no email needed, your acct is just a random hash

ITT
>This VPN is a honeypot
>Because the government, that's why!

To answer OP, any VPN is fine for hiding downloads from ISP.
I use nord with one of their socks5 proxies configured into NY torrent client so I can still surf without the hassle of connecting everything through VPN.

If your threat model is a state actor above the level of the fucking FBI, a VPN that doesn't keep logs won't save you. NSA/CIA level actors have backdoors in VPN services.
You need to keep your threat model in mind you doofus.

>thinking government needs a court to take your data
>thinking they can't just take it from the ISP PIA uses
>thinking they can't use backdoors on PIA's side
>thinking they can't take information illegally / by force
>thinking they can't intercept PIA's data in other ways
>also: Five Eyes members monitor each other’s citizens and share intelligence to avoid breaking domestic laws that prohibit them from spying on their own citizens. Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK, USA

Services based in the United States are not recommended because of the country’s surveillance programs, use of National Security Letters (NSLs) and accompanying gag orders, which forbid the recipient from talking about the request. This combination allows the government to secretly force companies to grant complete access to customer data and transform the service into a tool of mass surveillance.

An example of this is Lavabit – a discontinued secure email service created by Ladar Levison. The FBI requested Snowden’s records after finding out that he used the service. Since Lavabit did not keep logs and email content was stored encrypted, the FBI served a subpoena (with a gag order) for the service’s SSL keys. Having the SSL keys would allow them to access communications (both metadata and unencrypted content) in real time for all of Lavabit’s customers, not just Snowden's.

Ultimately, Levison turned over the SSL keys and shut down the service at the same time. The US government then threatened Levison with arrest, saying that shutting down the service was a violation of the court order.
eff.org/issues/national-security-letters/faq
schneier.com/blog/archives/2013/08/more_on_the_nsa.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UKUSA_Agreement
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_disclosure_law
bestvpn.com/the-ultimate-privacy-guide/#avoidus

Their CTO is Mark Karpeles, the guy who embezzled millions from his users as part of MTGOX going bankrupt. Makes it pretty difficult to trust them as a VPN provider with him at the helm.

See the post above. Keep in mind your threat model you doofus.

>You need to keep your threat model in mind you doofus.
You're a fucking idiot. Why even buy a VPN if it's useless?
>muh piracy
Either don't use this software or buy it. You obviously don't value it or it's developers so why the fuck are you using it when there's probably a free alternative? Proton VPN is free if you're too dumb to pirate properly.
>muh media piracy
Is legal everywhere. Even if you torrent as long as you don't upload. Proton VPN is free if you're too dumb to pirate properly.
>muh privacy against my ISP
Tor is free. Proton VPN is free.

>If the VPN doesn't protect against the largest nation-level actors, it's useless

Good lord.

Why are you paying for a protection against anything else when you can get it for free? And since you are paying for it, why the fuck would you use something which delivers inferior privacy when cheaper and better alternatives exist?

Speeds man. PIA has excellent peering in the US.
I can very much see it being useful for someone who wants to download content and remain secure from untrusted networks they connected to.

I use a seedbox because my home internet connection is garbage.