/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Post your questions here

>Read
>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Previous thread:

Attached: 1534230639427.jpg (1000x900, 300K)

Other urls found in this thread:

digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/understanding-ip-addresses-subnets-and-cidr-notation-for-networking
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2
amazon.com/gp/product/B003RCEAB8/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
newegg.ca/Switches/SubCategory/ID-30?&cm_sp=Tab_Networking_6-_-VisNav-_-Switches
newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704043
amazon.co.uk/CSL-Enclosure-Adapter-Standard-Interfaces/dp/B0711MTKNM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1534279109&sr=8-4&keywords=M2 to USB
m.imgur.com/a/jZ5HXeD
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>ywn nakadashi a rustle loli
why even live?

i recently installed xubuntu on my laptop and it doesn't suspend after i close the lid.
any ideas why?

Please respond

How does the Black Friday work ? Are those electronics prices really what they worth ?

I learned Python and used it to make some scripts that cut 22hpurs off my work week.

I've since been fired from that job and what to figure out what i can possible do with python, should i develop the skill* or drop it.

Trying to figure out what i can do with Python on the daily to increase experience while doing something interesting enough to not kill self.

I'm a 3D Artist atm and while allot of 3D apps etc have great Python support i have 0 use for it atm with my pipeline.

Please what do?

Attached: 1526900814067.gif (500x338, 464K)

If you wanted to code your own custom shell for windows, something like blackbox for example, where would you start?

Temps are fine.

It's overstocked stuff. The original idea was to move stock to make room for Christmas. Now everything is online, and the metrics are tilted. The big winner now is the shipping industry.

High temps will only affect performance if they get high enough to put it into throttling.

they raise the prices ahead of time so they can drop them back to what they were on black friday and call it a sale. You might find the odd good deal but it's mostly consumer shit.

Then how are there always sales for new stuff like iPhones or new GPUs ?

How to use local homepage for new tab on newer firefox? I tried to update to the latest ESR build but I can't use my homepage that's in my HDD as the default option for opening new tab. Is there a workaround for this?

is there any way to allow cookies to go through firstparty isolation on firefox?

The stuff that goes on sale isn't worth buying.

have you tried looking at the blackbox source code?

I am learning about subnetting and CIDR and pic related got me confused

Shouldn't it be 192.168.0.254?
Since 192.168.0.255 is the broadcast address and therefore not a host

digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/understanding-ip-addresses-subnets-and-cidr-notation-for-networking

Attached: 4543543543.png (884x479, 29K)

Building a new computer and thinking about setting up raid 1 with Windows 7. Is there anything I should know about setting up raid 1? I looked up guides and it doesn't seem too difficult. I'm just mirroring my data across two equivalent drives for increased reliability, right? I was thinking about getting two 2TB for the raid and then having my OS on a smaller separate drive.

I need a blogging platform. I'm too lazy to host my own. Requirements are:
1. Allows "adult" content
2. Isn't aimed at "social media" bs, ala tumblr
Any ideas?

Not sure if /sqt/ or /hsg/ related.

There was a power cut today, and my DNS raspberry server has stopped working. The Pi itself works, but the SD card isn't readable by windows. It wants to format it.

Is there a way to recover my shit without wiping and re-installing the whole SD card?

Attached: megumin.png (1240x1748, 2.27M)

Restore from backup

shouldn't 192.168.0.127 be a broadcast also? I think they meant exclusive "to".

What filesystem is on the card? Vanilla Windows can't read anything but FAT and NTFS.

Well I don't have any backups

fat32

Does VM software actually have outward facing ports or is it all done locally.

i.e. if I run something on my VM, can it be reached by an outside source? or does it just make requests through the host system.

I want to run vulnerable software on a VM for testing, but obviously I have security concerns in doing so. Would it being a VM make it unreachable outside the actual PC running the VM?

fug you are right, now is even more confusing.

I'm really clueless when it comes to this stuff, but basically my laptop broke down. It got water damaged, I was quoted £609 to repair it from the retailer with a bunch of stuff supposedly damaged

1. If I went to some other laptop shop is it possible they could do it cheaper?

2. My laptop came with a 500GB SSD. I'd like to have the data off it so I opened my laptop, expecting some sort of enclosed hard drive. I found this. I'm assuming this is the hard drive. Is it? What the hell can I do with it? Can I take it out and actually use it? There's a screw to the side, how would I connect this to a PC?

Attached: sketch-1534277603952.png (1280x407, 660K)

Well you can try a program like photorec on it then and just hope the table is borked. You'll lose your filenames, though.

Yes, that's your SSD.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2
You'd either plug it in the motherboard like it is on your laptop, or using a PCIe adapter riser board.

That is a SSD, so the equivalent of the hard drive, you can remove it and use it n another PC.

How heavy was the water damage? you could repair it with no knowledge if its minimal with something like isopropyl alcohol.

254 is a usable address, 255 is broadcast. It is part of the network but not as a usable address you can assign to a device
Likewise 127 is the broadcast in the first subnet

Thank you so much for the help.
Is there any way I can take this out, and then use it via USB or something so I can plug it into the PC as external storage? It'd be nice to shove some shows on it.
Would it be hard to plug this into the motherboard of a PC given I have no experience? I'd rather avoid that.

As for the water damage, they said my machine apparently needs a new LED board, Mainboard, touchpanel control board and keyboard. These are needed because the unit has suffered some form of accidental liquid damage. Sound right for £700? I have no idea. It's an expensive laptop though. I'm not sure what or where the damage really is. They sent pics but they don't mean much to me.
I can't get the machine to turn on at all except very rarely where it turns on then just goes back off after booting to Windows.

Attached: 1520725259184.png (744x687, 44K)

>Sound right for £700?
No, by that amount you could buy another high end computer/laptop.

Water damage repair is $300 tops.

Sup Jow Forumsuys

I have this ethernet cable amazon.com/gp/product/B003RCEAB8/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza
running through the walls and up one floor in my house. Its connected to my pc but I'd like to split it and connect my ps4 to it as well, only I'm confused about what to do because it seems like there are so many different options.

Does anyone have any opinions? I didn't think this deserved its own thread, thanks.

Attached: 81QerFqLubL._SL1500_[1].jpg (1500x1500, 182K)

Thanks man, I'll give it a try

Well the laptop itself was about £1000
I'm dealing with a genuinely reputable company here, why would they quote me £700 for those damages otherwise?
Also I don't have the money to buy another one, so I didn't have the money for these repairs either. I got it back instead as dead and figured I'd open it myself. The back case seems to have 2 loose wires on it, no idea what they were connected to, is it at all possible they were there for the screen? It seems odd to have wired on the back panel
It's a touchscreen ultrabook meme by the way

Any help on the SSD front? Any way to connect that as external storage to anything or is that unlikely too?

Attached: Penguins.jpg (1024x768, 760K)

Yesterday I got the first smartphone of my life.
What are some must-have apps?
Also how the fuck there isn't a basic txt editor?
It's an oldie Android 4.1.2

Current cable to router, new cables from router to PC and PS4

Yes, but you have to get one compatible with what you have. Most of them only support SATA, not PCIe. I'm not enough of a wizard to know which yours is by looking at the photo.

You need to buy a switch, see newegg.ca/Switches/SubCategory/ID-30?&cm_sp=Tab_Networking_6-_-VisNav-_-Switches . I can recommend newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704043 as a good choice, but basically anything on that page will do the job. Do get one that supports gigabit though, or you'll be buying obsolete crap.

If you have a recent motherboard/computer you can literally just remove it and put it in the computer, all it uses is a screw.

You could also buy this if you don't have a motherboard with a slot for it:
amazon.co.uk/CSL-Enclosure-Adapter-Standard-Interfaces/dp/B0711MTKNM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1534279109&sr=8-4&keywords=M2 to USB

scratch that, i can see the SATA logo now. Guess I need glasses. Just go on amazon.

Also post those pictures you got and the image of the cables.

I should probably add that I have a pretty good connection, and very few devices running on the wifi in our home, since everyone uses data. Its like 106 mbs down and 32 up

I don't really understand what you mean. Like do I use a splitter, a hub, switch?

thanks, so just out of curiosity why these over hubs or splitters? I don't know much about this topic

Accidentally dropped one of the screws for my dryers terminal into the back of the dryer and I can’t get it out. Can I use similar screws from a hardware store even if they don’t exactly look the same? I can get some that are the same size and thread. It’ll just look slightly different and I have no idea if it’s the same material. The original ones are silver in color.

Attached: 3DC9814E-0C3B-40DB-8482-75EF0D0C880A.jpg (2443x1832, 584K)

Think about how you'll get notified if one of the drives dies. If you're using some kind of BIOS RAID setup program, this might either be impossible or be some little tray program you have to run. (I think Intel's chipsets can do that, but it's been so long since I used that kind of RAID on windows that I have no idea) Software RAID makes this easier, but again, never done that on windows.

depends on how you set it up. If you want the VM to be accessible on the network you can usually bridge its connection onto the host's. The VM shows up on the network like a real machine plugged into the same switch as the host. The default is usually presenting a NATed connection though.

if you want to test malware though you could just load up your software, shut down the VM, and then remove the networking hardware from what the hypervisor presents to the virtualized OS.

>thanks, so just out of curiosity why these over hubs or splitters? I don't know much about this topic
Hubs are an ancient forerunner of switches that haven't been made anymore for at least 20 years. Splitters for ethernet are only really useful for some long-obsolete cabling tricks that have nothing to do with what you want. tl;dr Hubs and splitters don't exist, for all intents and purposes.

Anyone know SQLite?

How would I search for the the most recent threads (thread posts have a 'Topic' column that is not null, a 'Parent_ID' column that is null, and a 'Date' column in unix timestamp) then organize these threads according to the most recent replies to these threads (reply posts have a 'Topic' column that is null, a 'Parent_ID' column that points to the thread post number, and a 'Date' column in unix timestamp)

Basically I want threads with the most recent posts bumped to the top of a threads list.

Attached: Stress.Tensor.Cube.jpg (749x671, 36K)

So I should go on Amazon and search for a PCIe adapter riser board?
And then that would let me connect it via USB to a PC?
Is it safe for me to just post a picture of the inside of my laptop?
I'm just wary because of all serial numbers and all that. Does it matter? If not I'll just do that because I'm not sure where anything is or where the specific damage is.
I do want to mention though that before I sent it to repair I could get the laptop to power up and the screen on very very rarely but that doesn't seem to happen anymore.
Here's the cables, just asking again, is it safe to post the insides of my laptop?
The cables here aren't torn, there's some sort of ring at the end of them

Attached: EckFMKr[1].jpg (3840x2160, 588K)

lol thanks, I found the one you recommended on amazon for a little less I'll probably try that out. You just plug the cable I've got in my computer into this thing and get two new ones going out right?

Those are your Wifi antenna cables.
White is antenna 1(Main) and Black is antenna 2(AUX).

The only serial that used to matter doesnt come in laptops for a reason, everything else is just names of the part and code numbers.

For example in your SSD the SKHynx black box you covered is the controller, there is no serial on it.

And in the white sticker is just info of the SSD like model, date and version.

Consider yourself lucky. That plastic o ring popped off mine. Had to order a $10 replacement.

Matching screws is tricky because they can be single or double threaded. Try to find an actual hardware store rather than a "home improvement" store. If they sell screws and not washing machines its the right place. They know their stuff and have the parts.

You should be asking, 'anyone know SQL', not 'SQLite'.
Anyways google 'sql order by' and 'sql limit' for millions of guides on how to do this.

Riser would be for connecting it internally. I was taking about something like this for USB:
www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Enclosure-retractable-aluminum/dp/B075ZNCVJ5

Yup. You don't really need one with this many ports, but the one I mentioned just so happens to be a good yet cheap one; if you can find a better deal, a version with 5 ports will likely suit you just as well.

Do those WiFi cables need to be connected to anything or are they fine being loose like they are?

Also thank you so much to everyone who's helped
m.imgur.com/a/jZ5HXeD
Here's the inside of my laptop
I've uploaded the pictures of the damage to imgur because there's a few of them

Attached: 1517904006314.png (1210x1190, 116K)

Those google results are not specific enough, they're simply order by date desc.

Also, I was under the impression that some SQL err... syntax? is not present in SQLite, thus the "lite".

Went to the store after I posted anyway to see what I could find. Bought three of the on top. The one on the bottom is the original. It seems to fit very well. Will there be any problems with using it? I don’t want anything burning out

Attached: 086DA73B-0E1B-47DD-AA06-9F24A2091398.jpg (750x750, 220K)

The wifi cables are supposed to be connected here.
Looks like minimal water damage, just use cotton swabs and isopropyl alcohol.
Do you get fan spin when you turn it on?

How did managed to get water on it?

Attached: ZaPc7Be.jpg (1024x768, 120K)

I like the look of that.
So if I'm understanding right. I would unscrew the SSD from my laptop and that should pry it loose.
Then I buy this, unscrew the top half of the case, screw my SSD in, reseal the top half and then I can use the SSD?
Also since this SSD was previously my internal storage on Windows, would it need a format? I'd actually like the data on it honestly

Just want to be clear, what would I search for that? I need something on the UK market. Thank you!

Attached: Desert.jpg (1024x768, 826K)

>Those google results are not specific enough, they're simply order by date desc.
Wow you sure went through all of them pretty fast.
Oh wait. You didn't even take a cursory look at them, because almost every single one of them has the information you need.
>Also, I was under the impression that some SQL err... syntax? is not present in SQLite, thus the "lite".
It is called 'lite' because it is designed in a minimal way without a client/server architecture like most other relational database implementations. Its support of the SQL langauge itself will not limit you.

You can use it as extra storage, but you cant boot into it to use your old windows install.
>Why
That is how windows works, unlike Linux it doesn't like hardware changes.

Just plug it in and you will be able to use it and take your data off.
Your old stuff will be under C:\Users\Thenameofyouruser

Spilled some lucozade on it and then afterwards some water both over the keyboard.. Pretty daft of me but I was unwell, in bed and had a drink next to me. It still worked afterwards but some time after it just was ded
Nothing happens when I turn it on unfortunately.
I used to be able to get it to turn on every now and again but even that doesn't seem to happen. And when it did happen it would just turn off after 2 minutes anyway.
Thank you for the illustration

Attached: Tulips.jpg (1024x768, 606K)

When Jow Forums loads, it removes all the styling/CSS. Why is this happening?
It loads fine at first, then after a second just goes to plain black text on a white background.

That's fantastic. I didn't expect it to boot into Windows install, I just wanted to be able to get all the data I had on it off. Sounds like I can.
So all I need is one of those, right? And then just unscrew and rescrew into the thing you linked to?
Also, sorry, what's that thing called again? I need to find one on the UK Amazon store

Attached: Chrysanthemum.jpg (1024x768, 859K)

>It seems to fit very well. Will there be any problems with using it? I don’t want anything burning out
I'm not an electrician, but I doubt it. It's main purpose is to hold the lug to the plate. Even if it were a perfect insulator it would probably still work.

Whenever I play Overwatch after around 20 minutes I always get a bluescreen:

>Stop code: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
>What failed: win32kbase.sys

I believe there are a few variants of the error messages, will test more and see what other messages I get. Other videogames seem to work fine so far. I'm using W10 and both that and nvidia drivers are up to date.

Does anyone know how to fix this please? I tried a few google solutions a while back but nothing seemed to helped.

Attached: Capture.png (736x620, 145K)

Tried disabling adblock?

Is it reasonable to think I could make a few bucks on the side from webdev freelancing with a few years of general programming skills and some vague knowledge of html and css?

uBlock Origin and Firefox and Chrome?
Also it happens thanks to hiroyuki malware ads.

Add this to your filters:@@||boards.Jow Forums.org^$csp
Jow Forums.org##script:inject(abort-current-inline-script.js, String.fromCharCode)
@@||Jow Forums.org^*$csp=default-src 'self' * data: 'unsafe-inline' 'unsafe-eval'

I assume you don't have experience using an Iron, solder and flux right?
Quickfixing this needs a $5 Isopropyl alcohol bottle and some cotton swabs.
Reason why it doesn't turn on anymore is because the corrosion is shorting something and the PC refuses to turn on to avoid problems.

M2 to USB adapter or enclosure.

Cool. Thanks my guy

Sure. Just don't plan to get rich. When you first start out you will be competing with people like indians and chinese who will work for way cheaper than you. Your main advantage will be your ability to communicate in English with your customers.

MFW no one answers my question.

On a website for* outcasts i've never felt so alone.

you could at least back link it. It's easy for stuff to get lost in these.

Thanks, I guess. I did look and none had the specifics of what I need. order by date is not all I need.

Guess I'll figure it out eventually anyway.

Maybe if you stopped being an attentionwhore by not putting your fucking question so I don't have to ask you what the fuck do you want.

>I assume you don't have experience using an Iron, solder and flux right?
You'd be correct. Only experience was in high school and that was minimal lel.
$5? Really? I'm not trying to call you a liar or anything of the sort, but it just seems absolutely bizarre to me that I'd get quoted £700 from a company I trust (personal experience too) and you're telling me there's seemingly nothing really wrong and it's a $5 fix.

I don't know if this helps at all, but if plug the charger in and hold a key at random, a light on the keyboard show up (for airplane mode, it has a light indicator). This sometimes also happens with the power button itself. Sometimes the power button will light up, though the machine itself isn't doing anything. The laptop doesn't seem to charge either, because usually I get an Orange light when charging. It does go orange sometimes, but most of the time there's no light, or it's just white, which is the colour it usually is when it's turned on. But it's not turned on

>M2 to USB adapter or enclosure
Thank you so much. Could prove very handy if I can't get this machine working.

Attached: Lighthouse.jpg (1024x768, 548K)

If that is the case then you need to start farther back, with 'sql tutorial'. In other words you need to learn SQL.

It's all good, I got it.

The Isopropyl alcohol would fix the board but not everything else.
Also companies love to overcharge for easy fixes, see Apple in general.
The difference is that a $5 quickfix would fix the laptop and stop the corrosion but not remove the damage already done, for that you need to remove the old solder and apply new one.

You are just removing what is causing the short with the isopropyl alcohol, not exactly fixing the rest of the computer.

The green or white dust/foam you see in the motherboard is corrosion caused by the water, which is conductive and shorts stuff around, it gets worse with time, reason why it took some time for your laptop to die.

Also look for a used thinkpad if you need a cheap laptop replacement.

>but not remove the damage already done, for that you need to remove the old solder and apply new one
My Laptop's been dead for months at this point, surely it doesn't need damage prevention such as the alcohol since it's been so long?
Apologies if I'm misunderstanding but the alcohol wouldn't cause my laptop to boot, just stop it getting damaged further, right?
If not, and you're saying it would actually fix the laptop for now and cause it to boot, how would that work? The only issue would be the keyboard, and touchpanel control board, right? And the LED board I guess but I think that's for the backlit keyboard and it's not a huge issue.

Out of interest, if you were to know how to do it, how much would you guess this would cost? This figure of £700 seems more and more bizarre the more I hear, and I'm feeling like I should have challenged them about it. Does the water damage look severe to you, or not? I kind of sent it in in the hopes they wouldn't notice

Attached: Hydrangeas.jpg (1024x768, 581K)

Which question? Often if nobody responds, it means nobody who's on right now knows the answer; or you may have phrased it in a confusing or incomplete way.

piratebay is down. where do I go?

Why do apps say you can minimize it but then when I load it back up it resets on my phone?

thepiratebay.rocks
Thats where I go, It's almost always up

works, thanks dude

Do you know any addons for Firefox to display tabs vertically? something like when you press CTRL+B but for tabs.

Is there any way to get better (more range) Wi-Fi signal on my phone while driving? I'm thinking something like a repeater, but it would choose open and whitelisted hotspots automatically.

gotta love them proxy sites.
NOTE:
if you have an account with them, you may not be able to sign in.

Also while my laptop doesn't turn on, the white light was on and it was making a somewhat high pitched sound until I help the power button and it went off

So what do you guys do when you have downtime out in meatspace?
t. stopped using botnet "social" media

Attached: 1428387638557.jpg (575x824, 107K)

About 2 days or so ago my laptop just suddenly shit the fuckin bed
(both) graphics device(s) tell me they have an error 43 (though to my knowledge there shouldn't even be more than one)
I've tried every manner of reinstalling the drivers etc that I could think of, but the same issue prevails. Also the whole machine just ran REALLY fucking hot, like it'd consistently have a thermal shutdown 15 minutes after turning on
I assumed that was due the display being put through the main processing part of the apu instead of the visual half of it, but I don't know. That part of the problem seems to've been fixed eversince I ran a disc consistency check which would contradict my assumption though, i don't know the outcome of that check, the machine was off when I returned.

So anyway, at this point I'll probably be doing a factory reset, as the laptop has a separate drive for that, no idea what's wrong specifically but I assume that's the kind of thing that would fix it.
Problem being though, I don't have access to my other computer right now so I can't send my files over to it, frankly I don't have any storage medium with a large enough capacity to hold even a fraction of my files
Is there some way to keep my files but have the windows part of the disc overwritten by the backup?
Alternatively I would of course appreciate suggestions towards plainly fixing the issue with the graphics processor itself.

Attached: mybgkjbh,jhbjlbh.png (488x292, 16K)

What is a practical use case for traverse?

Is Pandas and ipython/jupyter experience all you need to get a data science job?

Whats the best app for videos for youtube on Android?

Is your phone low on RAM? Android normally leaves running apps active but paused when you tab out, but then closes then as the system runs out of memory.

While DRIVING? No. Stop being a tightwad and get a mobile plan that includes enough data.

For watching Youtube?
Do you want to log into your account and have about the same experience as the normal app, but no ads, can download videos, and can play in the background or with the screen off? >>Youtube Vanced

Newpipe.

>logging in to any Google "service" ever

My Laptop battery is dead. My laptop needs to be on charge at all times. I assume this is related to the other issue I have with my laptop where if it does anything too intensive it just shuts down. Could this have happened because I keep my charger plugged in at all times?

The laptop is probably a decade old if I were to guess. If I bought a cheap replacement battery from eBay, could it mess up my laptop or would it just be fine if a little unreliable? It's not going to explode on me, is it? Is there anything else I'd need to do on Windows after putting a new battery in?

Attached: 1534279021376[1].jpg (380x449, 16K)