Is it necessary to have equal length traces if pure gold wire is used?

Is it necessary to have equal length traces if pure gold wire is used?

Attached: TgHS9Sg.png (913x488, 1.05M)

yes

Depends what it's going between, but timing and phase matter.

It would be between a cpu and the ram socket.
It doesn't matter, it would be for aesthetics and slight manufacturing simplicity
I know it's for timing, but I figure the extra conducting of gold would help? Or am I retarded and it's the same speed as copper?

>the extra conduction of gold can make signals travel at different speeds so they don't require all traces to be the same length

>extra conduction of gold
>copper 1.68×10^−8
>gold 2.44×10^−8
try again

/thread

The real question is: along what path do you measure the length? Along the center, or along some kind of racecar-like least distance path?

>Gold
>Extra conducting
Nigger, gold is 4 times WORSE conductor than copper. The only thing better about it is purity and therefore stability, there is less property variation so it's better for high precision circuits. Otherwise, gold a shit with stupid large markup on top.

VF is finite in every material so there is always a propagation delay. Materials with higher VF can switch faster without having to worry about. None of that really matters because the propagation delay on a printed circuit board is dominated by parasitic capacitance and inductance.

this

Which is why we plate connectors with gold, but don't actually use gold traces or cables.

Along wave propagation path.

Yeah. More, actually. Speed of electromagnetic wave propagation is a lot worse in gold than in copper.

I was just thinking about using it because it doesn't tarnish or corrode.
I am considering other metals though because even for 0.25mm wire, it's retarded expensive. Then again ~50% gold alloy wire is pretty cheap if conductivity doesn't matter.
I was told it was better then copper though.

I'll just cut them all the same length then and route them around aestheticly so they fit.

>route them around aestheticly
just do fine arts, not engineering, m8

Connectors are plated with gold to improve contact. Gold is very malleable and deforms readily, to fill up all the ridges. But that's mostly placebo. Even plain steel has great contact when new, and when worn down to shit gold plated connector has shit contract just as well.

true, but still more plug-unplug cycles

This will be literally madman art. Trust me.
Not sure if I want to post what I'll be doing or not because everyone is going to call me retarded.

Even if it were faster, it won't be zero so there would still be a timing difference.
Maybe if they made different length traces out of different alloys to compensate, but that would obviously add far more complication than it would fix.

btw, this is the main reason the BTX form factor failed.

Or you could just use the standard dipped copper wire which doesn't corrode or tarnish either.

If your application has anything to do with precision, you'll quickly learn that the look is the last thing you'd care about, outclassed by self-interference and whatnot.

Gold plated HDMI cables are placebo.

But surely gold plated connectors on the electronics themselves matter or else they wouldn't be doing it.

Didn't even think about this, I can just use gold plated wire then. That will be perfect.

equal length traces are just another meme along with half of the unnescesary passives that are added to every board.
what a joke of a field

>software "engineer"

DELETE THIS

Attached: rust_programmer.jpg (633x758, 93K)

>makes half my salary

Attached: 1533327163524.png (1200x796, 561K)

It's less is a placebo on analog equipment, poor connection does actually result in crackling. But that's usually on connectors that are way past their expected lifetime.

silver is a better conductor than copper or gold m8

gold is mostly used for contacts because it doesn't tarnish, older and cheaper stuff can use lead/tin contacts which are also malleable but they just don't hold up at all when exposed to moisture

>muh stem fields can't be creative
nobody likes bodge wires or obtuse board layouts, minimalism is art

it's mostly done because of consumer expectations but that doesn't mean it it's done for nothing, hdmi being a digital signal doesn't mean it can't be corrupted or have missing information - I have enough shitty hdmi cables which can't be used unless they're held at specific angles to be tired of this 'digital is perfect' meme

>unnescesary passives
the first thing board designers do on prototype boards is to remove enough components so that it still passes interference and regulatory tests while not failing prematurely as a result, if they're ruthless enough to want to save cents per board what makes you think they're in the habit of keeping unnecessary passives?

Attached: See-SHFA1_Caps&Mods-bottom.jpg (949x960, 775K)

>the first thing board designers do on prototype boards
... is to slap caps on indiscriminately and proportionately to the area of the board

Attached: Artist_Unknown_032.jpg (1024x768, 130K)

Copper is slightly better conductor than silver m8.

fight me

Attached: 1534281825264.png (1577x391, 57K)

>silver is a better conductor than copper or gold m8
In the olden days radio receivers were built using square (more surface area) iron wire plated with silver, since RF current only runs in the outer surface of conductors.
But silver is tricky in humid areas and silver migration is a silent plague. With any moisture present and a voltage difference, silver will readily transfer between adjacent conductors.

>silver migration
Jesus fucking shit managing components that were mounted with silver solder is worse than satan.

>Digital meme
It's basically it works or not. If it works you have perfect result and there is message correction. It isn't like analog where you can have all sorts interference and signal shifiting. Plus digital delivery much more data.

Is this the dumbest trips post I've ever seen on Jow Forums?

>using copper or gold at all when you can run your CPU at 60-70GHz and use waveguides for signal transmission

This is why you'll never get 60fps in your games user

Attached: resize.ashx.jpg (800x1015, 70K)

You break them into segment and pretend they're RCL circuits and use impedance instead of distance. There's table lookups for approximating non-straight shapes, but generally the electrons hug the inner lane on curves and can cause extra wear or traffic jams.
And then you cast some black magic to factor in the magnetic interference on everything. Return paths very important.

Look into interconnect-centric design and clock tree placement.

>It isn't like analog where you can have all sorts interference and signal shifiting.
It's funny actually. A clock signal at higher frequencies ends up acting as like an AC signal and you do have to worry about interference and signal shifting.
Plenty of times you end up actually purposefully letting the clock signal be out of phase and using flip flops that trigger on the opposite edge (rising vs falling).

they made traces out of different materials on BTX boards?

The only advantage of gold is that it doesn't oxidize, so people make gold contacts. And yes, every material has propagation delay and at too high frequencies not matched traces will become a problem.

>pure gold wire is used?
It's less bait if you said silver

it's soft and doesn't easily corrode