Does anyone find watching their builds compile strangely satisfying and relaxing?

Does anyone find watching their builds compile strangely satisfying and relaxing?

Do you ever compile a package just to watch it compile?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-14_21-27-34.png (1100x756, 234K)

just looking at this makes me want to grab a cup of coffee and cover myself with a blanket

>not using cmake
kek

i cringe at the verbosity of people's makefiles (not every single file needs to have its gcc flags printed out!)

also i get annoyed whenever i see a makefile running, it reminds me of the shitshow that is a build system (cmake, visual studio, gcc, prob more), and how people are undecided

>-O2
>not -Ofast, -march=native,PGO and LTO
lol

No I find it extremely boring and wished everything had binaries.

I once waited over 2 hours for some freetard program to compile and then it threw an error so it was all for nothing.

The output is needlessly verbose when every source file is compiled with the same flags.

>using cmake
kek

>PGO
need to profile it before hand to even do that
>LTO
enjoy your single threaded compilation

>Does anyone find watching their builds compile strangely satisfying and relaxing?
no, I only watch it in case it throws an error, so that I can see, by chance, the error before it prints the last line

use golang, it compiles much faster than other langs

>need to profile it before hand to even do that
Need to compile it twice not that much of a deal unless you have a shit CPU

>enjoy your single threaded compilation
Look up ThinLTO it's got pretty much the same benefits as full LTO but without increasing total compilation time

I prefer builds not crashing on me randomly thank you. -march=native -O2 -pipe -ftree-vectorize is quite enough for me.

I'm forced to watch it compile because my machine is useless on the process.

t. Corelet.

>Need to compile it twice not that much of a deal unless you have a shit CPU
If that is how you've been doing it, you've been doing it from. You must enable pgo-profiling, compile, then run it with some workloads that will be representative of how the program will be used, and then recompile using the outputted profile data.

>you've been doing it from.
derp, doing it WRONG

No, you just add pgo to make.conf.

>relaxing ?
Not when it takes 2h for the build to finally pop an error that means shit, then trying a fix and waiting again for 2h

Do you work on qtwebengine or something?

yes. it's so satisfying to watch a build of gcc from trunk and see it all work.

I know... and you compile it twice, no?

That's on Gentoo right? I can only assume gentoo source packages come with pgo profile data included then.

>pipe output to /dev/null
who else /madman/ here?

Attached: 1521563355968.jpg (499x499, 52K)

Nope, you have to compile it twice still, but the testing and shit is done automatically. Though only few packages have it, it's the ones you'd care about the most (firefox, gcc, ..)

V8 Engine

fuck me, see

I'm sorry.