My friend said he's glad apple switched to usb c only because they're paving the way for the future and it'll force...

My friend said he's glad apple switched to usb c only because they're paving the way for the future and it'll force other companies to switch
How do I prove to him that it's stupid and usb-c only is NOT the future?

Attached: lightning-connector-cable-vs-usb-type-c-5-e1498691702449.jpg (780x440, 30K)

Call him a woman with an insatiable lust for putting dongles in his C hole.

I'm glad USB-C exists. I don't use modern Appleshit though.

It's a nice cell phone plug because it goes both ways and the standard allows USB 3.1 speeds. It shouldn't replace my aux port or anything on my desktop computer. Laptops work just fine with usb A, but C is nice as a charger plug for laptops as well, if the charge circuit is idiot proof and won't explode from the wrong adapter.

what is wrong with usb-c user

Why USB-C ports are so shitty? I work with phone repair and every single USB-C charging port comes here broken.

He's pretty much right, except Apple isn't forcing other companies to switch. Companies are switching to USB-C anyway because it is better.

Because people are subhuman.

Apple is finally switching to a fucking standard that makes their shit more useful? Color me surprised.

What's wrong with usb-c?

I charge my phone with my laptop charger. What's not to like?

Those are the same people whose cables are destroyed after 6 months of use.

I've had my s8+ since release and the port is fine

At least its not flemsyass micro usb. I sware that shit is designed to wear out after 2 years of regular use.

well if you work in the repair business you usually get items that are broken?
call me crazy but that's what i thought repair meant

USB-C is good though. Tougher than Micro USB, and at least as tough as USB-A. Reversible, High speed. Same form-factor as thunderbolt 3.

Just like the other user said. As far as I'm concerned, as long as they don't (never) replace the aux port, and perhaps at least for a few more years, the ethernet port, until your average cheapo router supports USB-C, feel free to replace everything else.

Why do you care what he thinks?

Magsafe.

crazy

Id like to never use a usb a again except on the base of a charger or something that will get pulled on hard

The Lightning connector and receptacle are maximally hetero.
USB-C is literally two male connectors docking.

Easy, just get the timing right

Attached: 73IYu8s.gif (450x254, 951K)

based

>You’re using it wrong

I like USB-C because it has finally stopped the retarded practice of having custom headers for the power jack

usb c cables are all different, its not a uniform standard at all

>faster speed, more durable port, smaller form factor

Attached: Windows-10-BSOD-fLIKR.jpg (1366x768, 30K)

Usb-c is great and indeed the future

usb-c is better than what it's replacing, but we should really just have fucking barrel jacks for charging purposes as an option

If you're breaking it you are using it wrong.

Reminder to report commercial advertisement threads.

The burden of proof is on you to tell us what's good about USB-C.

usb-c is great, literally the only thing that shouldnt be replaced is ethernet and 3.5mm jack

Because only inferior phones use an inferior port.

Attached: lightning.jpg (2048x1536, 1006K)

I'm okay with most ports becoming USB C. Certain things like SD card readers and ethernet should probably stick around, but USB a ports can go away, DVI, HDMI, and maybe DisplayPort can go away.

>because people are subhuman
What did he mean by this?

>How do I prove to him
By not being a basedboy faggot.

Lol fuckin nigger mods
*So͘yboy

There is not such thing as a fucking standard, just retard consumers that don't understand that everything comes and goes...

Lets say its the year 2030:
>The latest Apple laptop has 0 ports, not USB, no charging, no firewire, nothing
>Wireless charging is now perfected, and efficient enough to start charging all your devices as soon as you place them on your desk
>All connections are done through wireless. You simply place one device next to another to transfer data
>Speaker and headphones only use wireless connections
>Voice control is 1000x better than it was in 2020
>Touch screen and motion sensors can control your computer
>Phones are now just computerized wallets, carries virtual atm/credit cards, identification, ect. Still makes phone calls too.
>C++ is now C**, which is actually actually a subset of c++
>USB C was nice for the time it was alive, but everyone is wireless

Meanwhile, I'm holding back technology on a thinkpad x220 in 2030, its old, but still gets the same work done.

You don't because he's right. USB-C is objectively better than USB-A and the only thing it can't do is natively connect to old USB-A peripherals. USB4 is going to be C only and in 5 years the only remnant of USB-A is going to be some people who grumble that their mouse still works fine and have to use a dongle.

>5 years
lmao. Try 10 years.

Zoomers don't remember it but this happened already with floppy drives, parallel/serial ports, FireWire ports, and CD drives. Apple is ALWAYS right.

op made the claim that it is stupid. burden of proof is on him

No, it is. Chinese companies just don't give a fuck and are selling dinky ass cables and claiming you can charge a laptop with them. And they actually allowed companies to produce type c usb 2.0, causing this weird market of usb 2.0 C cables at places like Walmart, right beside proper usb 3 ones.

>>C++ is now C**, which is actually actually a subset of c++

NICE

The cables are indeed designed to wear out quickly, to (theoretically) save the device's connector. If you wiggle/drop/damage the connection, the cable takes the hit.
Whether this is true or just (((marketing))) is left as an exercise for the reader.

In 5 years having a USB-A port on your laptop is going to be an indicator that it's a complete piece of shit marketed to boomers who react to change like a literal autistic child, exactly like DVD drives are today.

tell him apple keeps on changing their charger and there's no chance for usb c to stick around for long on ishits

There's so much wrong in such a small post I'm honestly baffled as to where to start

>dude if you don't replace all your old peripherals every 5 years because there's a shiny new standard out, you're a zoomber
Fuck off back to redbit with your dumb fucking meme and your consumerist retardation. In 5 years they'll have realized they can add some blinking LEDs and sell it to fucktards like you as USBC.2 and you'll lap it up because it's a 'new standard' and you have to upgrade upgrade upgrade so you don't look like an 'autistic child' when you post your manbaby cave on your anime imageboard

In reality wireless charging can never be as efficient as direct, so your Thinkpad will always be charged while Applefags have to deal with 8hr charge times and throttling when away from their power mat.

Then in 2032 Apple will introduce the revolutionary "contact charging" technology that lets the device charge through a bottom connector, and a year later they'll pioneer the "flexible contact charging" technology, which is literally just a wired charging tether.

- Reversible plug
- Supports everything, from high speed data transfer to charging to display output to fucking external GPUs
- highly standardised so that we can plug everything into everything
- not the micro B connector

Reminder that enthusiast motherboards still have a ps/2 connector

Usb c doesn't appear to have any retention catch so the port or connector will become loose. Micro usb has one, you do need to clean it after awhile, but at least its not planned obsolescence.

Desktops can at least afford it because there's plenty of available space, once there's a decent market for low end peripherals laptops will drop it in unison because it's smaller and the multi-purpose nature can allow them to have less overall ports.

It doesn't need to be as efficient as direct charging if your device is always charged. Can you imagine manually plugging in your phone, tablet, laptop, headphones, watch, and glasses at the end of the day? No that's retarded, you're just going to set them on your charging capable nightstand/desl.

There's just way too much stuff I use daily that I will continue to use that requires the old style USB, and I refuse to buy dongles to make them work. The situation is the same for many other people I know from the receptionist who still pulls the plug on her desktop when she clocks out to CTO. Remember parallel ports, usually used for printers? Those were invented in the 1970s and machines with parallel ports continued to be made until the mid-2000s because people had stuff they needed those ports for. The currently popular style of USB port has been even more useful and ubiquitous than the parallel port, so what Apple is doing rather than gradually phasing out the old ones over the next decade or so is a big mistake.
I don't have a single device with this kind of plug and the only thing I'm in the market for right now is a new laptop. Though I'm a (former) Mac fanboy and currently using a Macbook (a 2015 model) no amount of reality distortion is going to make rationalize buying a post-2016 Mac along with all the dongles and (given the dearth of even USB-C ports) possibly USB hubs I'll need to connect everything. The Acers, Lenovos, Fujitsus and a couple others I'm looking at have everything I need in the port department, yet not a single one, even the latest model, has a single USB-C port that Apple seems to think is the future.
lost

Making sure the coils are perfectly aligned to get the absolute privilege of 70% max efficiency at 1/3rd the rate of cable charging seems like it isn't worth the 5 second time savings against just plugging it in, or sticking it on a cradle. Lots of wireless buds snap together, use the magnet to snap onto a pair of shallow pogo pins in a cradle. Boom, exactly as convenient without the complexity of a coil system. You can do this for any small item by having a bit of ferrous material at the pin receiver. If everyone standardizes on 5V DC you only need a tiny bridge rectifier in the device to ensure either direction works.

Would probably infringe on magsafe or some shit though. Patents drive me up the fucking wall.

And only trash uses a proprietary port with DRM on the cables.

>still pulls the plug on her desktop when she clocks out

Why?
Doesn't she have a switch on the PSU?

It's a prebuilt system so no.

Obviously future wireless charging surfaces will allow free placement. And while the difference in time may seem trivial on paper it makes a world of difference. Ever since I got a wireless charging stand for my phone on my desk I've never forgotten to charge it and picking it up when I get a call is effortless.

And like I said earlier the charging speed absolutely does not matter because if power is available your laptop/phone will be charging on surfaces. The only things that will need modestly long battery life are things like wearables that you don't take off often.

Imagine being surprised that a cable breaks after continuously stressing the same area hundreds of times

I would rather the cable break than the port.

>Obviously future blah blah blah
Do you have any idea how wireless charging works? It's literally a transformer. Two coils lined up, transmitting power through induction. The coils have to line up or it's not efficient. See: Maxwell's equations.

>Makes a world of difference.
5 seconds is a world of difference. k.
Now tell me about how you wireless charge while using navigation or playing a video/game. Do you pick up the whole pad and hold it awkwardly as you charge 1% an hour?

>Charging speed does not matter.
Yes it does! I often have less than an hour of socket access to charge. Getting a full charge within that span is essential! Not everyone is around personal infrastructure all the time.

>5 seconds is a world of difference. k.

Not him but it really does.
Because it's not 5 second once, it's 5 seconds every time you pick up your phone which gets annoying very fast.

>Now tell me about how you wireless charge while using navigation or playing a video/game.

Navigation: wireless charger in the car and Android Auto.
Video/Game: do it on the battery, unless you're a 18+ hours per day absolute phone addict you'll have plenty of battery all the time once you upgrade to wireless charging.

It is now becoming the standard for charging many models of laptop unfortunately as you can also pass data through. Only a matter of time before someone buys some chinkshit powerbrick that injects malicious packages.

USB-C is the future and you're a moron
t. never owned an Apple product and never will

>Not everyone is around personal infrastructure all the time.

People with decent jobs generally are.

What this guy said . Micro USB was terrible about ports breaking but I still have a fucking original Galaxy S4 with a working port, I've never even heard of a broken USB-C port and I can't imagine what you'd have to do to break one without actually throwing the device like a retard.

At least it's possible for software to block that.

With first generation Thunderbolt attackers had direct access to RAM since it used PCIe.

I have never broken a micro USB either.
Jow Forums must have some real spergs.

At least I can understand how micro USB ports broke, they were shitty and cheaply designed and manufactured, but USB-C is actually designed with reliability in mind and after a year of using it daily I can't see how it could break without a lot of force, like if it was thrown while plugged in or something.

fuck you. do your own homework, underage.

Good job not reading a damn thing I wrote. Charging speed won't matter because every table you put your shit on will charge it. Unless you have a XXXtreme gaymen laptop or are literally walking while computing it will trickle charge to last you throughout the day and you'll top up when you sleep. Even the 15w wireless charging that we have now would be sufficient for low power laptops, and it's only going to get better.

And yes 5 seconds makes a world of difference, especially per device. I don't have to fiddle with the cable to send a text message or pick up the phone when I get a call. I have literally not plugged my phone in for several months because wireless charging is so great.

I'm thankful that at least you won't have the opportunity to look like a boomer to your children while insisting on plugging in your AR glasses because they won't have a charging port to begin with.

The port doesn't break.

Maybe it'll break if you try to take cables out by pulling them 90 degrees.

>Every time you pick up your phone.
An 8ft cable doesn't have this problem. Actually, even a 3ft cable doesn't have this problem. Why the fuck would you need to unplug it just to pick it up? Plus on superior wired charging it's good to go in like 40 minutes.

>Wireless charger in the car.
Oh fucking great more shit to have in my car. If three people need to charge what the then? I'm supposed to have wireless pads fucking everywhere? I'm supposed to carry several cradles around and install them in every rental I get in?

>Video/game gets 18hrs on battery.
Hell no it doesn't. And I've seen people literally lose charge while using navigation on a wireless charger. I'd be forced to carry external wireless charging battery packs which presumably are sanely charged with a cable still.

People with decent jobs generally go on a few weeks of vacation a year to nice places. Many of the best place to vacation have not great infrastructure. I have on several occasions found myself with only an hour or so of mains power across a three day span. Then there's conferences, which can leave you wondering how you haven't had a chance to get near a wall socket all day in the middle of a city.

>Every table you put your shit on will charge it.
Bullshit I'm not plugging all the tables in my house into the wall. I'm not paying to put this shit in my counter tops, and nobody else is either. Are you seriously advocating for coils and drivers to be installed literally everywhere? Do you have any idea how much that would cost?

Listen nigger. Wires just werk. They're cheap as fuck. They charge at a ferocious pace. They don't piss away 25+% of the energy times four billion devices worth of power. They take SECONDS to use. If you have a cradle the difference between dropping your phone in that or on a pad is ZERO. Wireless is a fucking meme.

Why do you care.

I bet there's three tables in your home that your phone has sat on for more than 5 minutes, it's entirely reasonable for those to be wireless charging stations. Even then you really only need one(your desk) to dump your shit on at the end of the day. Your phone and bedside tablet could be fed with a cheap mat if you need them near your bed.

>Are you seriously advocating for coils and drivers to be installed literally everywhere?
Yes, they'll be public features in every location that you don't even think about.
>Do you have any idea how much that would cost?
In the future like $20 over a dumbtable. You're dumb if you think every Starbucks won't pony up for them.

>They take SECONDS to use.
Times four billion devices.
>If you have a cradle the difference between dropping your phone in that or on a pad is ZERO.
Cradles are proprietary and would increase the price of all products that rely on them significantly. Wireless charging is a standard that can and will be applied everywhere.

>Wireless is a fucking meme.
Yeah just like wireless phones and internet, such a meme. Who needs free passive charging everywhere I prefer carting around several power adapters and scouring for open outlets so I can charge my dead devices. But it's ok because I'll only be camping there for an hour to get a full charge instead of that retard who makes it through the whole day and charges his devices during his dedicated eight hours of being basically dead.

In what fucking way is Apple related to USB-C?
It's got NOTHING to do with Apple. Apple is using it the same way any other company is.

>every single USB-C charging port comes here broken
Like every single USB micro port, right?

Apple was one of the first adopters and all their current laptops only have USB-C (and headphone) ports.

>one of the first adopters
So was my standard AsRock motherboard, and my phone, and my Nintendo Switch, etc.
Your point?

Your motherboard likely has eight different connectors on it as well, Apple put out laptops with only USB-C before anyone else. The only other mainstream product that's done that so far if I recall is the HP Spectre 13, XPS 13, 13 2in1, and 15 2in1.

>laptops with only USB-C before anyone else
You almost make it sound like the removal of features is some kind of innovation or progress.

When I'm home I very rarely plug in because the battery lasts all day easily. The place I use my phone most in my house is by absolute far while in bed, and the cable is plenty long enough to never cause problems. It's actually nice in case I drop the phone in the sheets since finding it is as easy as tracing the cable.

>Yes they'll be in public locations
Fucking sure. Nice pipe dream bro. This is simply shit nobody will want to pay for. Guaranteed. We can't even get USB ports to proliferate like this.

>Seconds times four billion
Those are seconds out of an individual's day. If you're optimizing for seconds in your day you have issues. Slow the fuck down.
The power inefficiency is a big deal though. I make the same argument over shoving everything into inefficient as fuck JavaScript. Those joules add up.

>Cradles are proprietary
They don't have to be, we're just phenomenally bad at standardizing. I can guarantee wireless charging will become fractured too the instant it gets popular. You'll be sitting there with your thumb up your ass staring at a Starbucks pad for Apple or Samsung phones only some day. History always repeats itself.

>Just like wireless phone and internet
False equivalency. Wireless communication is viable because getting 0.0001% efficiency doesn't matter when you only need an SNR of -60db to be effective.
These are fractured like an absolute motherfucker too, by the way. We have like six radios in our phones to mask this fragmentation. Can't do that with charge coils since they need both large volume and surface area.

The only real feature that was outright removed was the SD card slot. Magsafe was traded for a standardized and multipurpose charging connector and everything else advanced.

>This is simply shit nobody will want to pay for. Guaranteed.
Starbucks started putting them in in 2015, I guarantee any restaurant that wants to attract customers will have them eventually.

>Those are seconds out of an individual's day.
And the power inefficiency is literally a decimal on my power bill. I could make more of a difference letting my clothes air dry once a year.

>They don't have to be, we're just phenomenally bad at standardizing.
You design me a compact cradle that can fit every brand of laptop, tablet, phone, smartwatch, and VR headset with vibrating fleshlight and you'll become a billionaire.

>I can guarantee wireless charging will become fractured too the instant it gets popular.
It's already popular and all the phones have agreed upon the same standard. Worst case scenario is yours doesn't support the full speed of the charger.

>Wireless communication is viable because getting 0.0001% efficiency doesn't matter
And the current efficiency of wireless charging is beyond the point of mattering. Nobody is sitting there with a stopwatch and crying that their phone takes two hours to finish trickle charging, and in the future nobody will even bother monitoring the charge of their battery.

When was the last time you looked for splinter free when buying toilet paper? Probably never because the alternative just doesn't exist anymore. Your phone in the next 3 years isn't going to have a charging port, smartwatches already don't, AR glasses won't ever. One day you'll have to explain to your child the concept of a battery dying because he's never experienced it.

You're so fucking delusional. You're the kind of guy who saw the first commercial aeroplane and said "our automobiles will be flying within a decade!". We've had the same shit wireless charging since I was using the first Motorola Droid. I had an HP Touchpad with it built in. It was shit then. It's shit now too. Somehow it apparently works with your incredibly autistic life, but I know a lot of normies who have phones with wireless charging, and the charging plate gathers dust in the corner because it's just not that useful. My experience is the same. It becomes a nuisance compared to just plugging it the fuck in. I'm not itemizing arguments any more because you're literally just saying "but none of that stuff that everyone already uses works and the FUTURE will make everything better for my favorite meme technology!!1". You can shove it with your mindless drive towards regressive progress.

The equivalent to your flying cars example is people who think wireless charging is ever going to have a range measured in meters. I'm simply saying that existing technology will become ubiquitous. I'm absolutely sure that you'll look like a retard in 10 years manually plugging your peripherals in at the end of the day, if they even retain that functionality.

>takes up very little space
>can do anything any other port can do, and better (especially when paired with Thunderbolt 3)
>extremely versatile
Does there need to be another reason?

B-but I have to buy a new cable to connect my $2000 laptop to my $3000 TV.

fucking this

the bandwidth usb-c is capable of is so far ahead of any other standardized external port that it's a bit stupid.

Seriously, 40gbps is 2 displayport links and change. there's a reason this tech is getting pushed so hard.

had my nexus 5x since launch and port is still fine after not so good use

Literally just plug in your computer on the other side. You can do that now.
Crisis averted.

Future doesnt mean now.