Story time, Jow Forums:

Story time, Jow Forums:

>tfw my only computer for nearly a decade was a Samsung NC-10 running XP
>got it when I was about 17 for classwork as it seemed much more handy than early tablets
>took it to uni too
>battery dies first, so replaced it with a dodgy double capacity chinkbuy which makes it rather heavy
>motherboard dies, replaced it
>by this time I mostly used it on my 40" TV via VGA, with PS/2 mouse and keyboard in via an adapter to one USB, and a 2TB external HDD which needs a power supply also attached
>use it to make music in FL Studio, can barely run VSTs other than a dozen of the most basic synths in low quality
>SD card slot goes, buy a USB adapter for that
>you won't believe all the weird adapters you can get on ebay
>built-in keyboard dies, don't replace
>headphone jack only works at certain angles
>hinges break, power button falls off
>some kind of fault with the motherboard's graphic card were it will randomly pink-screen or display random colourful static, obviously a loose connection as squeezing one corner gently stops it, on inspection nothing seems loose
>gentle squeeze no longer works, borrow a clamp off my father to permanently squeeze one corner
>works fine for a few more years, held in place by the clamp
>then develops some related issue were the audio speeds up and slows down, also killing the USB slots at the same time, which is irritating but manageable
>clamp needs tightening or re-aligning every so often, cracks on both sides of the case
>last week after nearly a decade, no angle on the clamp or amount of pressure will boot
>take out the hard drive and buy a SATA-USB cable to recover what I haven't already backed up

RIP "Clampy", we had a good ride, thank you for trying for so long ;_;

Attached: black-nc-10-4[1].jpg (640x480, 73K)

True champion F

buy new jack and soder it on, as for the boot its probably related to the keyboard, just buy a new one

you could have prevented his death

What will you go for next OP? You are clearly a man of higher tastes

My dad laughed and said for about £30 I should buy a refurbished NC-10 for the next decade.

Sounds like she tried to do good as best she could given her build quality.
Burry her in the backyard and write he name somewhere special.

Get an X200 or X201
these are more robust than flimsy X6*

Had mine for >5 Years:
- tiny plastic pieces break off
- rubber and paint goes away
- new fan
- new battery
- new keyboard

F

nice, seen this in my netbooks thread

if you want a big upgrade get a x230

nice blog post

this is what i call turbo autism

It should be considered abuse of technology to have windows installed on your computer.

Epic xD

unironically this

would it be possible to make a laptop that could last decades? would the components inevitably wear out?

With heavy use of conformal coating, glue and reinforcement to keep shit from flexing, as well as thicker pcb and extra heavy duty cooling to help mitigate the thermal stretching and shrinking that breaks bga parts. Yep, but it'll cost you.

welp, time to get a Macbook Pro with Retina display!

XP wasn't **that** bad

RIP

RIP to your netbook. I actually considered buying one of these, but went for the Acer Aspire One AO522 (the AMD Fusion-based one) instead.

Which I'm on right now. Cheap as shit, apparently invincible despite their shitty build quality; I've lost count how many times I've dropped it, and just snapped it back together, poured water in it (bailed it out before taking it out of sleep mode, though), cooked it (left it in bag in Ausfailian sun), towed it through the dirtiest, dustiest environments you can imagine, etc.

The netbook was what OLPC should have been. Now, anything remotely close is five times the price, or a Chrapbook, or burst into flames if you look at them wrong. It's quite saddening.

Attached: un-speccy-tacular.png (728x486, 33K)

F. Respect paid. Make a pyre and sent it to Valhalla...just don't breathe the fumes.

Acer are surprisingly tough. Got an Aspire One for 250€ in 2009, still in really good condition despite being used a lot. Came with Windows XP, but is now running MX since a while.

based Clampy

>bought T420 in 2012 for college
>coolest machine ever, travel with it all around europe constantly
>got a brutal scare with ransomware in 2013, I legit thought that the police locked down my laptop because I was in Denmark and piracy laws are more strict there
>realize it's ransomware in the 11th hour, was ready to pay up in the panic, but all is well
>the hinge brace breaks in late 2014, can't close the lid properly
>local authorized repair shop will fix it for 150e
>nope.jpg
>buy new top lid with full brace off of ebay for 20e
>replace, looks and works as new but the bezel is now wobbly because I'm a retard and I broke some of the plastic clamps on it when removing and putting it back in constantly
>wobbly to this day
>finish college, relocate for a job, T420's battery dies shortly thereafter
>no longer need to travel so it just sits on the desk, always plugged in
>buy an IPS monitor and a kb+m, this thing is basically a desktop now
>get extra RAM and an SSD, where we're going we don't need roads
>Windows 10 update becomes available
>fuckingsweet.jpg
>fresh OS smell, don't even care about the spyware too much, I disable what I can
>it's early 2018 and the CPU temp is constantly at 99C
>dust like I have never dusted before and change thermal paste
>low 60's now, feels good
>it's mid 2018 and the T420 has now developed various issues like going to sleep randomly, not recognizing HDMI audio after waking up, only after restart
>CPU is at 100% load at max frequency on youtube videos
>ready to ditch the T420 and pony up cash on a new machine
>someone on Jow Forums tells me that T420 does not officially support W10
>learn that Sandy Bridge in general has issues with W10
>did a clean Windows 7 install yesterday
>none of the issues are present, currently hoping that CPU holds by the time I reinstall everything and I'm back to normal use
if I can, I will hold on to this machine for 6 more years

get a quad-core i7, consider gentoo, coreboot and ivybridge
get an used lenovo battery

or get an t430 or t460p

How hard is coreboot?
I've been considering turning mine into a light gaming htpc because it rarely leaves the dock these days.

linux fag cry more

Attached: 6ee.jpg (680x661, 58K)

actually, if you are fine with intel botnet, you don't need coreboot, but have o stick with sandybridge i7

I know, apparently ivy quads are a bit cooler so if I'm going to upgrade off the 2620m its the route id like to go.

F

Freetards spend most of their lives crying (just look at them, how they live, etc.) - and you want them to cry MORE?

I'm genuinely puzzled how Linux users aren't all dead from dehydration.

>using Linux == freetardation
The delusion

Good point - there are no Linux users. Linux uses them.

Good point - there are no Windows users. Windows uses them.

Attached: 1517685775988.jpg (720x623, 79K)

>mobo dies replaced it

I should have stopped here and so should you op.
Literally no point in replacing a laptop mobo unless it's either under warranty or it's for some crazy meme laptop like an acer predator. Otherwise you save money time and effort upgrading to whatever the current generation is.

Great story anyway but your mistake was not moving on when the mobo died.

Calling me dumb for your dumb argument isn't going to get you anywhere.

>Literally no point in replacing a laptop mobo unless it's either under warranty or it's for some crazy meme laptop like an acer predator
Or it has sentimental value.

Attached: 1509255058002.jpg (713x544, 129K)

Get one of the new ryzen thinkpads.

Okay if it was a ThinkPad sure.

I mean I get it don't get me wrong it's just not something I would do personally.
My old Dell inspirion became a plex server and was killed in this way lel.

I only considered switching to x230 for comfy shitposting, or building an actual gayman desktop from scratch but if the T420 holds, I will do nothing and proceed to squeeze every last bit of life out of it. I don't do any real work on it and I'd much rather just throw 200 eurobucks at an xbox.

The fan is quite noisy tho

It's symbiotic

F
I still have my 19yo Eee PC, which works fine to this day. Haven't used it for some time, I guess I should put a light linux and maybe React OS in Dual Boot.

F

I'm glad that went where it did. Some of those issues definitely struck me as software-related.

I still have my i5 2300 build from 2011 or 2012 (even thought it feels older, because some parts were from 2008). Only graphics card got an upgrade to 750ti.

After reading this thread I'm feeling bad about wanting to upgrade it (new motherboard and cpu and ram). Even if I still have constant problems with usbs and once every second week a BSOD. Also it's almost a space heater (the room is the hottest room in house) and consumes enough power to for my holidays or less work/classes to be noticeable on power bills.

Attached: 1534293001940.jpg (1200x1395, 226K)

Sorry, but what a shit laptop. I've had an Asus K50 for like 8 years and there's nothing wrong with it except the dead battery. And I was using it for maybe 15 hours per day.

Attached: 1383477569001.jpg (150x138, 3K)

Attached: big_boss_salute_by_reaper759-d4be3mf.png (436x474, 230K)

F
Reminds me of my relationship with my old tiny acer ferrari.

I miss that piece of crap