Let's just clarify this once and for all. So if you bought a 1080ti, it's now obsolete because of ray tracing?

Let's just clarify this once and for all. So if you bought a 1080ti, it's now obsolete because of ray tracing?

Attached: Screenshot_82.jpg (600x600, 32K)

Yes

yup.

this is why you should ALWAYS wait for the next generation LOL

So I should wait for the 3080?

yes. it's the way you were meant to be played.

Uh ... is this a troll post or does "ray tracing" stand for something else besides the methods of forward, backward and Monte Carlo ray tracing, i.e. the tracing of rays in a 3D scene either starting from the point of view or from the light sources?

Attached: 300px-Ray_trace_diagram.svg.png (300x200, 24K)

It takes 2~3 years to develop a AAA title, so provided that the RTX drops this year, we'll maybe get the first AAA ray tracing titles in 2021, by then even the current RTX line will be feeling limited.

Even by 2021 I'd say it won't make too much of a difference since unless AMD and lower tier Nvidia cards get ray tracing, most of the market won't be able to use it at all since most people are not buying RTX 2070/2080 cards.

If we get RTX 3050/3060 or even 3030s then maybe ray tracing will become a thing. Even then though I'd say it'll be beyond 2021 for ray tracing to become common place in games.

clue me in, what's changed wrt raytracing?

>bought an extremely overpriced 1080ti because I needed it fast
>live with my parents while holding a full time job so have huge amount of disposable income

I don't even care user, I'll buy the 2080ti if it's such a huge improvement.

I also think this user has a point. Just because there are new possibilties, doesn't mean devs will take advantage of it right away.

You won't see ray tracing used commonly in games for fucking ages. Is a 1080 Ti obsolete because Nvidia made the Titan V, which is designed for AI?

>>bought an extremely overpriced 1080ti because I needed it fast
>>live with my parents while holding a full time job so have huge amount of disposable income
Are you me?

I just figured it out: NVidia announced their next generation cards will be able to perform multiple light source raytracing in real time. So now bleeding edge fags are waiting for the release of the GTX1180.

I have a 1080ti, can someone explain to me why I should care about ray tracing?

Some big retarded meme which isn't going to be used en masse for quite some time.

Just buy things whenever you can afford it. If you can't afford, just have it with imagination.

Proper non-faked lighting to make things photo-realistic. There's basically nothing more games can do graphically aside from lighting effects. Increasing polygons is now pointless. After ray tracing, it will be AI, and then hopefully a focus on physics will come back.

So I can continue to get kickin rad fps at max settings without worry then?

Nvidia will make an attempt at it but I doubt they will succeed. Though I'm probably overestimating humanity because novideo never had problems in jewing the shit out of it.

>tfw I have a 1080ti and mostly play 2d roguelikes.
At least I make the card sweat when I play Warhammer 2 at max settings.

me too I have a 1080 and play tf2 and victoria 2
I'm thinking of getting into fancy flight sims just to push the card a little

>Increasing polygons is now pointless
No?

Honestly, I'm glad that it looks like this card will be perfectly fine for another 5 years or so. So even if I'm not really pushing it now, there's lots of room to grow into.

>Proper non-faked lighting to make things photo-realistic
Bullshit. I've written a ray tracing engine from scratch. You absolutely still have to fake lighting. You always have to fake lighting because you can't simulate trillions of photons. With ray tracing, the basic technique is to trace until you intersect with something. From that point of intersection, trace to each light source. Calculate how many of those light sources are within direct line of sight from that point and use that to help calculate the final rgb values of the pixel. Light reflection is the part where we have to seriously cheat.

People are speaking like this RTX cards can create games on the level of the Witcher 3 with ray-traced lightning when in reality all they can do is maybe render a car with 3 lights and thats it and thats for $10000 lmao, its gonna be MINIMUM 5 years before ray-tracing is used in something more than a meme gaming wise

Attached: 364364364346346.jpg (1068x701, 60K)

Brainlet here, but its probably multiple light rays from the same source.

Of course it is. What I didn't get was the CONTEXT of the original posting. I found out later. (see here )
So the technique is anything but new, what's new and what's supposed to render the GTX1080 "deprecated" is the ability of the coming GTX1180's to perform ray tracing in real time.

you're an idiot if you think all games will suddenly drop traditional rendering for a new kind of rendering only supported by a new expensive video card

>There's basically nothing more games can do graphically aside from lighting effects
how about the fact that all computer generated animation looks fake, even often when it's offline rendered for movies

I don't think even the next gen consoles will use Ray Tracing. We'll be lucky if we get atleast a couple of PC exclusive games with it. Probably racing games or indie shits

Yes? Diminishing returns.

>You always have to fake lighting because you can't simulate trillions of photons.

Protip for semantic virgins: photo-realistic does not mean realistic as in simulating fucking reality. Of course it's faked, everything in a game is faked, but it's a more realistic depiction of how lighting works.

That's an issue with the amount of effort put in to make it look realistic, it's nothing to do with graphics.

>photo-realistic
It's wasted on 95% of all gamers anyway, since you'll instantly get shot if you pause for a moment to admire the scenery in most games.