Why does nobody like C anymore? Everyone shilled it...

Why does nobody like C anymore? Everyone shilled it, now it seems like its dead because everyone moved onto C++ and Rust.

Attached: stages_of_C_denial.jpg (1605x655, 313K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rust-lang.org/en-US/friends.html
spectrum.ieee.org/ns/IEEE_TPL_2018/index/2018/1/1/1/1/1/25/1/25/1/50/1/25/1/25/1/50/1/25/1/25/1/100/1/100/1/25/1/40/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also, everyone complains about how dangerous it is and how flawed it is.

because it made everyone needlessly put semicolons after each line for decades with no end in sight

>wojakposting
just shut the fuck up

>Why does nobody like C anymore?
Because writing C is just obsolete. There are tools for writing C, such as Nim. Also, C++ and Rust are just better languages.

triple pointer hacking bullshit doesn't get into my read

Advising C over C++ has always just been trolling.

Not my favourite language by a long shot, but I don't mind it.

You actually fell for it? Dude...

>having \n as a line seperator is good
lol. Do people really believe this?

C is still a good choice over C++ for embedded and driver applications. The thing about C vs C++ is that C++ has everything you would have to write in C yourself on a typical desktop computer.

Computers are fast enough that the security problems of C do not make up for its speed except for niche applications like operating systems.

There's nothing seriously flawed about it, unless the flaw is that it only offers building blocks and not the entire house constructed.

It's only a few things like string manipulation which lends itself to shit like overflows and how C in general treats arrays. C11 adds generics too so that's a non-compliant.

You only use C++ when you actually need C++ features. Otherwise it's just bloat.

>moved onto C++ and Rust
>Rust
Noone uses rust

It's hard, other languages make tasks that are usually C only, easier.

C is still great for a lot of stuff. Rust and Go are arguably replacing it in the modern day, but most people who know either of those languages will tell you to learn C first if you're new to programming. Plus, C is /still/ the fastest language around besides straight assembly - Go and Rust are fast enough for most things, but there are still times when you really do need every second you can get.

Oh, and C is always going to be used for OS and driver development, that won't change any time soon.

There's a Rust implementation of wayland protocol + a wayland window manager written in Rust. It's the future.

I love how Rust fags add their language in random threads just to boost their popularity making it seem like its the next big thing in all of the universe when in reality nobody fucking uses it

Attached: 367373467.jpg (477x477, 41K)

>when in reality nobody fucking uses it
because in reality it has no fucking standard (yet)

The language on it's own is pretty promising for systems programming stuff. Only time can tell where it will end up

PS: Yes, the SJWs in the Rust community are gross.

Just because its not obnoxiously forced upon the front page every fifteen minutes does not mean people do not like it. Languages should be treated as the tools they are, nothing magical.

>it has no fucking standard
what exactly do you mean

>what exactly do you mean

Attached: anon.jpg (750x1000, 35K)

Nice self portrait, user

you're trash my man
i hope you reply with another wojak, that'd be pretty clever

>i hope you reply with another wojak, that'd be pretty clever
wat du yu men bi dat?

Attached: gonfused.jpg (353x400, 18K)

thats what i like to see

This place is an echo chamber for NEETs with overinflated sense of self worth compensating for the fact they're jobless morons and you just fell for their memes. I don't know what else to tell you dude.

How about just not having a shitty compiler that needs to be told when a statement ends? Look at Lua, I can write
if not something then
print "something is nil"
return false
end
just like
code]if not something then print "something is nil" return false end
and both will work.

>now it seems like its dead
Because of the development of every OS kernel and billions of C software are dead right?

Do the world a favour and neck yourself, you are a waste of oxygen.

>nobody fucking uses it
rust-lang.org/en-US/friends.html

I wish people would do that to JavaScript, but since very few people actually write JavaScript in 2018 it'll never happen and I'll have to deal with it or kms.

it's worked for thousands of years

No oop so not exactly scalable. Was only used for a generation in game dev besides a few arcades back in the day. It's a bitch when you have to change states of everything on the screen instead of objects. Inb4 pajeet and nobody cares if they programmed Linux in c.

> it's the future
> still no version 1
> only Firefox uses it and the memory leaks show
> Firefox is also dying

pajeet

top kek

>and the memory leaks show
Nice fud

struct

Attached: 516R4ZoMqBL._SX402_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (404x500, 35K)

firefox is like 6% rust

that's the stuff

i just wish they had gone ahead with the idea of having a little GUI package in the standard distribution rather than leaving it as some unmaintained thing in experimental

underrated comment.

C is an outdated boomer language. JS and HTML is where it's at old man!

Attached: Capture+_2018-08-08-22-51-31.png (1439x791, 531K)

>still no version 1

$ rustc --version
rustc 1.28.0 (9634041f0 2018-07-30)

Because it’s old and Java is getting tons of libraries and add ons so people stop caring about how much C have of them. Here is the thing, as long as language is functional and isn’t too limited, given enough developement it can become a programming franca.

however in the embedded programming world it's still the mainly used language, especially in the industrial setting

I still use it for everything I do
Semilicions are sexy fag
kys
False, C is the best language
But it isn't
>fell for it
It's bad to fall for memes like Javascript, falling for a good language is good
Give an example, GUI is for faggots
C is still the best language though, relying on your OS shows your inferiority
That's not language's fault, it's yours for being a mongoloid
Go shill more Rust fag
Sadly, yes
OOP is bullshit and bloat
Go away dirty webdev mongoloid

like somebody gave a single fuck about this meme

>what is kernel and embedded development

Attached: cisevil.png (1092x295, 114K)

Attached: goper brainlet.png (185x272, 6K)

/thread

look mum i posted it again

You retards are suckers for repetition though

Attached: Selection_140.png (747x761, 96K)

it's a perfect language but an obsolete one. Moving onto C++ is more or less the same experience upgraded for the modern times. Yes some more experienced people might say C++ is less optimized and and OO language, but it's what people who loved C use now. There is just not much space for C in the modern world - coputing power has become so great optimizing every little thing is pointless and switching to OO languages has virtually no difference. It's the same reason no one uses Assambler anymore - perfectly simple yet so obsolete

However, every serious programmer and engineer should master C, Assambler and Fortran. It's a healthy step towards quality coding and understanding things. I thought I owned the world when I learned Python than came uni and with it C and Assambler

Attached: aeMpPg5_700b.jpg (640x630, 103K)

This is the power of a 10x programmer

My favorite thing is that, to this day, Linux devs still don't recommend learning C++, even as many of their criticisms of other languages (Java, notably) have softened.

10x the code

Attached: gopher generics.png (1587x1587, 617K)

I think Go has support for preprocessors since 1.4. That said both C and Go is made for idiots that don't understand the essence of polymorphism.

>that don't understand the essence of polymorphism.
You can do polymorphism in C

void pointer is not polymorphism, go has interface{} too.

here's one just for you

Attached: gopher interface.png (1587x1587, 567K)

Void pointers have nothing to do with making interfaces and polymorphism

I want to see anyone of you efficiently programming a microcontroller without having any proficiency in C; talk about control loop, Real time systems.

>inb4 muh C++ arduino
enjoy your repeated crashes hipsters

I have a theory, the people actually programming use things like c why you guys all pretend to be programmers on here with things that aren't really used very much.

Attached: 1525850586745.jpg (1000x1145, 91K)

cool theory, compelling evidence

>caring about this boards hot opinions

uC programming is the most primitive form of programming, I have no idea why people bring it up, no program is larger than 1ksloc, most at about 100sloc, C is adequate for such a trivial task.

who is nobody? Jow Forums? well, Jow Forums is nobody that's true

Attached: jobs.jpg (647x572, 59K)

>Python 1st
kek

I wouldn't trust these graphs

>Python is for embedded
>C is for mobile
Nice meme.

Attached: 1530310763109.png (496x403, 9K)

spectrum.ieee.org/ns/IEEE_TPL_2018/index/2018/1/1/1/1/1/25/1/25/1/50/1/25/1/25/1/50/1/25/1/25/1/100/1/100/1/25/1/40/

I trust it

When did Jow Forums advocate C? I've been here since 2014, and it's been R*by then L*sp then R*st. Never seen Jow Forums shill a decent language.

>what is Ada
>what is IEC 61131-3
>what is [shitton of other specific languages like LunaAVR]
>what is Oberon
>what is the una bomber language (Forth)
>what is ASM
>what are hardware description languages

Well, they create memory leaks and crashes, but Jow Forums faggots don't. Think about that for a while.

C programmers waste a lot of time looking for the leaking memory, finding out where the dangling pointer is and figuring out how to deploy their program across different platforms.

chink shit general is a popular thread about """"""""technology"""""""" in Jow Forums
what do expect?

If you're stupid enough to fall for the naysaying, you're stupid enough to learn one of those 'compiles to C' meme languages that will be dead in 5 years.

B-b-but where do the methods go

You don't need them.

>what are real industrial settings
>what are stm32
>what are workplace request to use a common language that has been used for decades and everybody knows instead of sinking knee deep in trying to adapt existing settings with obscure """better""" languages

>>what are real industrial settings
Ever flown anywhere in a jet airliner in the last 20 years? Some Ada code got you there.

>C is still in use only because C programmers are too narrow-minded to learn another language
Exactly.

>what are real industrial settings
The one you use those other things.

industry is hardly all about airplanes
it's not narrow mindedness, it's lack of motives to learn superfluous languages when the one you're using is more than enough, and efficient
I see you've never had experience on the mentioned settings

I see you've never had experience

why will you use a dildo instead a hammer to hammering?
maybe it is ergonomic, but not better

>>no u

>maybe it is ergonomic
That bears some further explanation.
>using double green-texts

You can still write mostly plain C in C++, plus you can use things like RAII and take advantage of standardized return-value-optimization and other no-op move features with C++. Why limit yourself to plain C?

It's more like using hammer to put screws in place because why learn how to use screwdriver when hammer is more than enough, efficient and gets stuff done.

>being so dense
>running out of argument just after the first claim
>resorting to "ur writing wrong lol"

no

It's more like being so full of yourself and so void of experience to call someone's screwdriver a hammer

Not only void there is also offset_off polymorphism

Yeah, you surely beat me with those hot opinions and all the evidence in the first place.

People WANT to move to Rust. But there is a fucking lot of legacy code that still needs to be supported. My prediction is that new companies and developers are going to start using Rust in production, maybe in microservices or even the God forsaken Web Assembly

Attached: 1434259628101.png (694x801, 77K)

It's not like you've given any more.
In my not too limited experience in industrial frameworks, control and real time application work flawlessy with C, with is pretty much always considered the way to go for updating existing solutions and deploy new ones, for its wide aknowledgment from the vast majority of said industrial sector, wide adoption and easiness of use.
Very rarely anyone complains about its use, and said complains are always limited to lack of OOP support, which in itself would bring other issues and is easily avoidable anyway.
That being said, I fail to see how another language of the aforementioned ones would succed in improving the status quo.

also the majority of workforce being pajeetery