RAM limitations cause anxiety

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way

Basically I recently upgraded my T420 from 4GB to 8GB of RAM
I've only had 8GB of RAM on my main workstation as well in the last
6-7 years that I've had it for. I know that 8GB isn't a lot by today's
standards but ever since I upgraded by laptop's RAM I've noticed that
I always have this overwhelming anxiety of whether or not I'm going to reach
4GB of RAM and have my laptop start fucking lagging out and have to restart it

Now that I have 8GBs I've just been tabbing into my task manager with chrome & Pycharm open
and each time I look at it I feel this giant feeling of relief. But then I tab back into Chrome and keep
feeling like I'm going to max out on the amount of RAM that I have available and the anxiety just keeps building up again.

I know it'll go away but holy fuck does anyone else have this problem?

Attached: downloadmoreram.jpg (1920x1080, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/configuring-remote-interpreters-via-ssh.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Install Windows 10

install gentoo
and cure your ADHD

> install gentoo

I already have it installed but I'm using Ubuntu 18.04 on my laptop because it's easier to develop TensorFlow applications with it

> cure your ADHD
yea i have adderall for that

lol if I installed windows 10 it'd just wipe my current bootloader and id have to either reinstall grub on a dedicated partition or install ubuntu in a tiny ass partition as to not have to go through the grueling process of installing grub on its own

I kinda fell you, OP. Swapped my Intel i3 PC for A10 AMD one a few days ago, but AMD one only had 6 gb RAM installed, as opposed to 8 gb i had on intel. Handbrake alone eats 1,5 Gb during conversion, so I swapped spare PC for 16 Gb or Ram

Cure your anxiety today - Read on how memory management works on modern OSes like macOS or Windows 10

16GB sounds like a fucking dream

I have an i5 2500k @ 3.7Ghz on my workstation and a i5 2520m @ 3.2Ghz on my T420

Having a CPU that isn't from 2011 with over 16GB of RAM sounds like a dream

you're doing something wrong if you ever go over 2GB

Stop being poor. It sounds like these machines make you money too. Invest in your business and see returns.

Memory management works fine on Ubuntu just as it does on Windows, not to mention that memory management nowdays works by just upgrading from 8GB to 16 to 32 to 64

Having Chrome open by itself would put you at 1.5GB, not to mention having extensions and having like 5 tabs open, all puts you at around like 3GB

sounds like "Chrome" is a very bad program that should not be used

> Stop being poor

I'm in a shitty financial situation where my parents are divorcing each other now even though they split up like 8 years ago but didnt get divorce so they didnt have to pay for shit like child support and I get very little financial support from either of them so I literally have to work a shitty retail job in order to have money to buy food and pay for medical bills with

I just finished my sophomore year of college and I'm interviewing with random companies at the moment. I had an interview with Google but I fucked it up cause it was the first REAL interview I had which is just epic

And you're right they are of economical benefit to me and I'm making the most of what I have but you dont just stop being poor overnight you have to actually work for it

Yea it's so easy to not use chrome when it has literally every autistic password for any site ive ever made one for.

Not to mention that Firefox is objecively worse at displaying HTML5 content and they changed their UI to look like fucking internet explorer

>wah my parents won't give me money
Grow up holy shit, you're an adult your parents shouldn't be giving you ANY money

> cracks can
> sipppp

yep kids today are so entitled i remember when i was growing up and i could afford all the stuff i wanted cause my parents paid for my school for me yep those were the days

Attached: 30 year old boomer thinkpad.jpg (380x349, 35K)

nope but i do get annoyed when my 4GB RAM laptop starts using swap. I may have an SSD but the slow down from RAM to SSD is significant enough to be a minor annoyance, especially when I have big cache on mpv and I'm streaming a pretty long youtube video.

>implying my parents paid for my uni
I fucking wish

Really though if you're working enough hours you should be able to budget for things like this

I work something like 20-30 hours a week and literally when I'm not working I'm programming shit so that way I can have a good application for when I apply to transfer schools in the Spring and so I can keep improving my fucking resume.

I have to pay for literally everything except the house my dad no longer wants to pay for and my mom wants to cling onto lol

they have money but instead of helping me theyre just fucking throwing it around and wasting it like goddamn retards and have never considered that maybe just maybe if they didnt spend their time fucking around their kid would be able to spend more time working on school & personal projects and be able to pay them back immediately for their help

>computers cause you anxiety
grow the fuck up retard

You don't even have to pay for rent and you're complaining about not being able to afford anything? Holy SHIT user

Are you one of those drooling retards that spends $200 a week on food and has an iPhone X on a contract or something. Did you take out a loan on a new car?
Where the fuck is all your money going?

>tfw parents paid for uni with their taxes
>tfw uni doesn't have any progressivist bullshit
>tfw even if I had to pay, it's still less than $1k/semester
Feels good, not being american.

good goy

>implying worrying about memory management is bad

Constantly worrying about memory management actually leads to better programming practice when developing applications in C/C++ where that concept is very fundamental to the language and good practice ultimately will determine whether your program takes 5ms to complete a task or 500ms

Wew lad I feel bad for you now I have a basic 8700k and 16gb for a while now and it’s not that great senpai

Jesus Christ

Hmmm let's look at some of my expenses in the last week
I spent ~$300 last week on 6 different college applications
I spent $100 renewing my license plate sticker
I spent $200 on an LPIC-1 exam 1 voucher
I spent $32 on gas
I spent $70 on groceries
I made a $400 car payment for a car thats not even in my fucking name
I spent $60 upgrading my laptop RAM
I spent $20 replacing a phone that broke cause i accidentally dropped it into a cup in my car at night
I spent $20 + $30 + $12 +$10 + $50 on medical payments

but yea im just an entitled little shit arent i

>I made a $400 car payment for a car that's not even on my name
That's all you need to say to let everyone know you're bad at managing money
It's all your parents fault though sure :)

If he doesn't know how to manage money it is obviously fault of his parents for not teaching him at all or well.

Attached: 1527576695525.png (300x250, 19K)

>That's all you need to say to let everyone know you're bad at managing money

Lol whats your credit score

>I have a desktop workstation available, yet I'm sperging out about my laptop's RAM. Does anyone else have this problem?
Nobody that has ever heard of SSH has this problem. I'm surprised you even made it this far using Tensorflow on a laptop GPU. Look, I'll even spoonfeed you some Pycharm specific instructions:

jetbrains.com/help/pycharm/configuring-remote-interpreters-via-ssh.html

Attached: Autistic.png (492x419, 342K)

>Nobody that has ever heard of SSH has this problem

I have my desktop configured as a server so I am in fact executing on my desktop but it doesnt change the fact that I should be able to have Pycharm and Chrome and Spotify open on my laptop without having to worry about my computer freezing due to slow ass HDD speeds when it starts writing to swap

Itt fucking ramlet retards

>I should be able to have Pycharm and Chrome and Spotify open on my laptop without having to worry about my computer freezing
Agreed, because those programs combined take nowhere close to 8GB of RAM. Even still, you don't need to run such bloat.

Replace Pycharm with Vim. Honestly, ask yourself whether your project is so complex that it requires an IDE. Most Python projects are not.

Replace Chrome with Midori or W3M if you REALLY care about RAM. Otherwise Firefox is good enough. Use Keepass instead of the browser's password manager. Sync it with Nextcloud.

Uninstall the Spotify Electron app and just run the web version in a lightweight browser.

I actually dont have a problem with using 8GB of RAM

Although it's not ideal, the point of the post is that i used to worry a fuckton about my laptop exceeding 4GB of memory and now that i no longer have that problem it still haunts me

Used to have this X220 with Windows 10 and 8GB of RAM. I even used Chrome and I was fine. OP is probably a massive faggot. Anxiety for lacking RAM? Don't joke about anxiety, nigger.

> Replace pycharm with vim ... most projects are not complex

While I agree that most projects are not complex, I think that using an IDE, PyCharm Prof Edition in particular makes development much faster since it spots issues like import errors ahead of time so thats not anything you have to worry about and has god-tier git integration as well as the ability to fetch documentation about any autistic function, method, object, etc in a single keystroke

> Midori
Midori cant load HTML5 I don't believe, although I never tried out W3M, I genuinely enjoy Chrome and Firefox, and it's not the browsers that store the passwords, it's the actual Google accounts that are synced to it that do. Although it prolly doesnt matter, it's nice because if I use an Android phone or Chrome on iOS I can just have it autofill shit for me there too, as opposed to having it all trapped in a cloud keystore. I tried lastpass once and forgot the fucking login to it and lost a bunch of passwords as a result.

The Spotify web version is honestly great, I've used it before. The only problem is that I have to tab into the site to change the song, instead of using the media keys, although I do know of an extension that allows use of them so I guess that would probably work

I'm not complaining about only having 8GB of RAM, I think it's perfectly fine. I'm saying that upgrading from 4GB to 8GB is life changing cause I always get worried about it freezing or some shit if I open another app but it just keeps working perfectly fine

Try using a 4GB RAM laptop as a serious development workstation and then try and tell me that it's not atrocious

For the record I also use a T60 with just GPM and links and emacs in a tty window, with Lightdm installed if I really need to access a GUI

This is wrong, just install two partitions with grub installed to the ubuntu partition and have your MBR point to that partition for boot. I dual boot a 16.04/W10 PC now just fine that both share a 500GB SSD.

I've had 32 for the last 6 years or so, now it's not enough. Just picked up an upgrade to 48, the maximum I'm willing to spend on RAM on the machine otherwise I'm buying 8 16GB sticks if I want more.

total used free shared buffers cache available
Mem: 31G 20G 1.7G 313M 2.9G 5.9G 9.6G
Swap: 0B 0B 0B

>using chrome on linux
wow you are an idiot.

You shouldn't have to restart. I use Photoshop on a lappy with 4gb, Firefox will take a while to respond when switching into it, but it gets going eventually

Sounds like you have a severe case of the Chrome
Maybe you shouldn't use such a shit browser
My laptop has 4gb and tops out at 400mb used when doing all my shit, which includes Jupyter.
Using Ubuntu also..

God I wish that were me

nah because i know how to not rape my fucking laptop