MORE INTLEL VULNERABILITIES

BWHAHAHHAA

HOW CAN THEY EVER RECOVER
guru3d.com/news-story/three-new-vulnerabilities-in-intel-processors-discovered-l1tf.html

>CVE-2018-3615: This affects Software Guard Extensions (SGX), and was discovered by various academics who will reveal their findings this week at the Usenix Security Symposium. According to Intel, "systems with microprocessors utilizing speculative execution and software guard extensions (Intel SGX) may allow unauthorized disclosure of information residing in the L1 data cache from an enclave to an attacker with local user access via side-channel analysis."

>CVE-2018-3620: This affects operating systems and SMM. According to Intel, "systems with microprocessors utilizing speculative execution and address translations may allow unauthorized disclosure of information residing in the L1 data cache to an attacker with local user access via a terminal page fault and side-channel analysis."

>CVE-2018-3646: This affects hypervisors and virtual machines. According to Intel, "systems with microprocessors utilizing speculative execution and address translations may allow unauthorized disclosure of information residing in the L1 data cache to an attacker with local user access with guest OS privilege via a terminal page fault and side-channel analysis."

Attached: Intel Reentry.png (1452x892, 1.28M)

Other urls found in this thread:

marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=153431475429367&w=2
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/proc.c?id=80a208bd3948aceddf0429bd9f9b4cd858d526df
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

edam cheese heads have less holes than intel has

What is the SGX thing the intel is implmenting in their CPU that everyone is talking about? What does it do to improve?

As long as games not affected no one cares.

t.

Attached: 1525353398975.png (1066x600, 429K)

But they are affected you dumbass. A number of these vulnerabilities exist only due to Intel cutting corners to increase performance. Once these are fixed the performance naturally degrades in most applications, including video games.

SGX is DRM. It allows creation of encrypted memory areas that can't be inspected.

SHUT UP GOY

Attached: 1436734391281.jpg (202x249, 30K)

delid dis

Sounds amazing for malware

>build DRM into the hardware
>turns out to be a security risk
Wow who could have possibly seen this coming?

>creation of encrypted memory areas that can't be inspected
What for?

For the glory of Israel

Let's say some third party wants to send you some code to execute or some data to process but they don't want you to modify or read it.

The world would have been such a better place without the Jews, it's not even funny.

wtf that doesn't help the consumer at all

It probably can be used for secure online banking and other stuff because malware (and even the OS itself) can't read or modify the enclaves

ok but what if malware gets in there

Enclaves have to be signed and attested by a third party, besides I don't think you can call Windows API functions from inside them

>Only code that runs within the enclave can access data within the same enclave.
well im sure exploits will come eventually

J-just you wait ayymdrones. Only a matter of time before a major flaw is found on the turd poojeet cpoous too. Just you wait.

Attached: intel_hardware_bug.jpg (653x726, 253K)

>he unironically thought he could buy intel chips without getting fucked in the ass
With jews, you lose.

Companies(the important market with money to buy the high end stuff) and Investors care

That's another 10% performance gone with the next security patch

Attached: 1527799399785.png (807x745, 305K)

marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=153431475429367&w=2

Based theo

This reminded me to the time I had a discussion about reccomending Intel CPU's to "The absolute hardcore 2345fps CSGO on low settings" gamer and I said Intel isn't worth getting because of all security issues and possible future patches that will affect these CPU's.
Here we are and Intel might kill gaming performance, the last area where ryzen is not besting intel, due to their own stupidity.

And wasn't there some sec guy who envisioned intel needing to disable HT to come close to fixing security issues?

Thanks

m-muh sekrit sauce

do people still think these are "loopholes" and gaps that no one knew of?
Do people think the largest processor producer in the world that's heavily tied to the US and Israeli governments isn't doing this shit intentionally?

SHUT IT DOWN GOYIM SHUT IT DOWN

Attached: 545A9AF19E8C4DDAA6E4ED67A2239779.jpg (480x480, 27K)

>do people still think these are "loopholes" and gaps that no one knew of?

Of course not, everyone knows that all these Intel vulnerabilities are kept under embargo for months. Hell it seems that even a shitty Linux news site had access to this info before open source OS projects.

Attached: 5345345433.png (712x937, 121K)

Is AMD actually safer or are there just less people searching for vulnerabilities in AMD chips?

SGX being used as a backdoor for malware? No way that could have happen! Oh wait.......

It is more like design oversights. CPU architects typically aren't deeply interested in security and majority of crackers/black hats have been going after the more low-hanging fruit.

The only reason these CPU-level exploits are being discovered is because gray/white-hats have pretty much exhausted all of the low-hanging fruit and move into the high-hanging stuff.

It's significantly safer. Although it does share a few vulnerabilities related to x86 architecture.

Hardware-level DRM pushed by parties that are computer and digital security illiterate.

Attached: 1532984775087.png (992x1043, 614K)

This but unironically.

Goddamit, year of the rope is giving and giving

What CPUs are they implmenting the SGX on? The current intel CPUs are fine to buy right?

>And wasn't there some sec guy who envisioned intel needing to disable HT to come close to fixing security issues?
Don't worry, they're already doing it themselves on the next i7 line l o l

Kaby Lake and Coffee Lake are the only silicon that have it right now

It is possible that they might implement it on Cascade Lake.

Imagine the the amount of yet untold vulnerabililties

delid

YOU GOT TO BE FUCKING KIDDING ME

Seriously wtf!!
UGH I just fuck bought a fucking new Xeon.
I really hate you Jow Forums fucking always shitting on intel as if this makes me feel any better I really can't escape you fucking freetards.

Then its fine I'm planning to get the 7980XE

Life is suffering.

Actually, this might do some good because if I'm not mistaken, the security of UHD Blurays and 4K Netflix relies on SGX.

What processor do we use now?

why would you buy a fucking xeon in 2018?

>tfw sitting comfily on oc'd haswell
too bad I'll have to buy amd compatibile mobo when upgrading

>On a side note, AMD cpus are not vulnerable to this problem. Currently it is believed their address translation layer works according to spec.

Looks like I was right to wait for Zen

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep bugs

>design ((( """ oversights """ )))

> ((( """ oversights """ )))

Pls don't

Holy fucking shit will you get a life? Every single fucking day you post the exact same shit here.

>being pissed about a bunch of shitty pictures

you're getting trolled

Attached: v.jpg (418x559, 76K)

>cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep bugs
grep bugs /proc/cpuinfo
dont abuse cat faggot

He's done it every day for two years.

IIRC OpenBSD totally disabled hyperthreading to get ahead of this.

grsecurity is not meaningfully open source and probably violates the gpl2.

They did. The security community wasn't telling them anything but they looked at the patches that were coming in on other systems and determined that there was a problem with SMT and disabled it to be safe.

This

Intel has still remained much faster in csgo with all the patches applied so far.
>but surely this time amd will win
They won't

How does /proc have information about vulnerability? An update of system write it?

>Megacorporation implements feature that doesn't favor the consumer

Shocking

git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/proc.c?id=80a208bd3948aceddf0429bd9f9b4cd858d526df

>Intel will release the next-generation Intel Xeon Scalable processors (code-named Cascade Lake) with silicon level mitigations for not just Spectre and Meltdown but for L1TF .

>AMD CPUs are not affected by L1TF.

How much poo Intel needs to solve this?

um, yeah, you're agreeing with me

have another spray paint

Attached: astley.jpg (763x512, 59K)

>Dump the flags which denote we have detected and/or have applied bug workarounds to the CPU we're executing on, in a similar manner to the feature flags.
>The advantage is that those are not accumulating over time like the CPU features.

Attached: sensible_chuckle.gif (250x250, 993K)

>edam cheese
>holes
come on mang

Attached: 1497895455949.jpg (424x317, 23K)

w e w

seething kike

You really can't find anything better to do than Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums Jow Forums?

Kiddo, CPU architectures haven't changed that much since the 1990s. At the time, where most of the groundwork for modern CPU designs was being laid out. Security wasn't really that much of a focus and these "new" attack vectors were unthinkable at the time.

These "flaws" were only discovered by security geeks who had way too much time on their hands and got bored with finding network-level and software-level exploitations.

Those who trade security for speed deserve neither and lose both.

>seething kike
There's 30 year old research pointing out the dangers of speculative execution.

Attached: wrong.jpg (396x400, 29K)

>have core 2 duo from 2007
>literally not affected, again

lmfao richtards are really regretting their $1000 paperweight investments now huh?

>Buying a slow, expensive housefire

>buying obsolete Intel garbage
2950X or bust

Mad?

You act like end users ever update their systems.
(they dont)

Confused as to why this is your life. You know you only get one of these things, right? And here you are having already spent a good percentage of it railing against a multibillion dollar American semiconductor manufacturer for manufacturing useful semiconductors and selling them at a price their customers are willing to spend. So you're her typing away and having your message bounced around on thousands of servers using Intel microprocessors, complaining about Intel because for some reason you've internalized a hatred for Jews based on a 1500 year old far left Christian stupidity regarding the charging of interest rates which you've transferred to Intel simply because they have a research center in Israel.

There are a lot of underage retards unironically shitposting lately

Again, the CPU industry wasn't paying that much attention to it until recently. They were much more focused on more pragmatic concerns (memory limitations, transistor budget, performance) then potential security exploitations due to design choices.

You vastly underestimate the power of group-think and out of context problems.

>rubbing palms behind you
>heh nothing personal Kiddo

>had way too much time on their hands and got bored
Oy vey! how dare this goy not participate in the rat race

>American semiconductor
Yeah sure (((boy)))

Did you not know that America actually exists? My uncle works at Honeywell in Arizona, right next to the Intel fab there.

You guys have been arguing this for literally over a decade

>create cpu feature focused on security
>turns out said feature is, itself, insecure
99 keks

I don't want to say jews did this but jews did this

Attached: 2ff.jpg (680x496, 37K)

oy vey

>person on the same computer can access data on the same computer.

Quick disable your processor! It's the only way!

buying a xeon in 2018 when you could buy TR1 or 2 you deserve everything bad happening to you

user, you do realize that we use multi-user operating systems with access control lists and such, right?

Oh right you’re a Jew. Nevermind.

Are they vulnerabilities or built in backdoors being discovered because Intel fucked up? Seems odd all these """vulnerabilities""" are only on Intel and only Intel has evidence of working directly with intelligence agencies to fuck everyone up.

Some of spectre shit works on Zen too but it's far easier to fix, even if the architecture is not flawless is still way more solid