/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

>let's bump a maxed out thread on page 10

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: freedums.jpg (800x663, 98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-August/019310.html
deb.debian.org/debian
security.debian.org/debian-security/
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
jwz.org/hacks/rms-deathmetal.mp3
youtube.com/watch?v=nvY1EWC9XJw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

dd bs=4M if=/path/to/archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdx status=progress oflag=sync

Is it all gone after this?

Which is the fastest and most optimized systemd/linux distro? Browsing through random benchmarks seem to indicate that not all are about the same.

gentoo

I have a macbook pro 15 (2006) and it is still working, to this day, however It is no longer possible to update OS to the most recent, so certain programs stopped supporting its OS... But laptop is still in perfect condition (apart from some paint scrapped from this button which unlocks screen, and the battery is dead).

So, how to reviwe it? I still want to see MacOS desktop looks, so is there a lightweight linux distro which can be installed, with MacOS desktop environment? Something stable!

I tried manjaro.
I installed mpv, but I can't play videos because of a libadvice error.
I also couldn't install shinjiru (an anilist updater).

Should I just install debian?

Attached: hululu.jpg (252x276, 70K)

yes.

Alright. It's really depressing how though, I hoped that with manjaro things would work out of the box.

Hackintosh?

Please recommend me a lightweight alternative to XFCE. Tired of the bugs.

It's called Xfce, not XFCE.

i don't give a fuck

Attached: Condescending-Shrek.jpg (437x450, 46K)

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-15 13.06.39.png (1243x890, 93K)

You should install Windows 10

What does the sent _ received _ total size is _ thing at the end of rsync mean?

Is any release.key the same or different? It was my first time installing wine from other source instead of ubuntu repo, but when I wget the release.key, it tells me that there's already a release.key in my home folder and it won't download. So I changed to other folder and proceed to install the wine. But it intrigues me. I'm pretty sure I've never installed that version of wine before, so the release.key is most probable from other software. But why didn't it want to download/overwrite it? If I went ahead and left the old release.key alone, would I be able to succeed installing wine?

LXQt

Installed Manjaro yesterday and I'm quite happy with it. Installed most apps I really need to use every day and now I'm downloading everything.

I was about to give up on GNU/Linux since none of the Ubuntu-based distros were working for me.

lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2010-August/019310.html

How does that compare to lubuntu?

Help an old brainlet out. Old PC that I've been using for almost a decade died on me. I'm looking to buy a CPU unit and saw this for $170:

>AMD A4 6300 up to 3.9Ghz Turbo
>4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Memory
>500GB Sata3 6GB/s Hard Drive
>AMD Radeon HD 8370D 760Mhz Graphics
>Ubuntu installed

Should I buy it for $170? I've never used Linux in my life and will only use the computer for browsing and documents.

Not a terrible deal for $170. Just check on the HDD SMART data after you buy it.

Will do. Thank you!

Attached: 34a4472199c35bf536bcf54ee7a0fcf5.jpg (750x856, 97K)

does debian with non-free repo enabled have similar(or same) extant of hardware support
i personally like debian but this is the first time i run it on real hardware,so i am concerned
(the laptop i am going to install seems to use proprietary drivers in some components)

I has a bit extended hardware support. I suggest you download a debian live ISO first and boot it and see how much of your system works and what could work with just firmwares.

Not quite ganoo plus lunix related, but what's a viable alternative for google maps on my smartphone?
>Able to show my current location on a map using GPS data
>Find the route from point A to point B
>Able to the adequate commuting using public transportation regardless of the city

Hey boys, I'm trying the infamous Arch on VM and I encountered a silly problem - my terminal output is not colored, I've already checked xterm conf and TERM is set to xterm-256colors

GUI is xfce4 and stuff like vim or screenfetch is colored nicely.

Attached: screenFetch-2018-08-15_16-22-54.png (1920x1080, 3.22M)

OsmAnd, Transportr

Öffi

Did you know? Öffi is free software now.

I'm learning to use perl on the CLI.
I have this PCRE grep command to extract my IP, how would I do this with perl?

wget -qO- wtfismyip.com/json \
| grep -Po '(?

why on XFCE i cant minimise settings windows?

What bugs? Xfce is probably the least buggy DE.

Probably has better driver support than Windows

i can see you probably entered ls command
if that's the case try
ls -C auto or ls -C always both Cs capitalised

What exactly is the difference between apt and apt-get?

Attached: hämnenysapu.png (251x201, 22K)

The difference between them is the "-get" part.

apt is a new combined too for several apt utilities. Like you can search with apt. apt-get cannot search you had to use apt-cache search for it.

I may give these a try when I go to europe, but otherwise I guess I'll stay with the botnet a little bit longer. Convenience outweights the mining of my data for now.

Sheep

It's called Xfce, not XFCE.

spotify automatically lowers it's volume when another app makes a sound.

what's causing this/how to get rid of it

i'm running pulseaudio

Got it. The book "Minimal Perl Minimal Perl For UNIX and Linux People" is really cool.

GPL is communism. communists must be shot.

Attached: ada.jpg (946x861, 373K)

When I open things they open on the wrong screen, how do I fix that? Using Ubuntu with Gnome

Like file managers, when I launch something like gimp etc. It knows what my primary monitor is and everything works except a few things.

The worst part is I can't move things like the file manager, it's stuck

apt is meant to be a more convenient and graphical user utility. Apt should not be used for scripts that log output as the loading bars, colors, etc. that apt has can mess up the output to a file.

In reality the GPL set Linux free.
>before

Attached: 1534346685967.png (999x666, 158K)

>after

Attached: 1534346751178.png (1032x519, 141K)

i need a distro whic is the closest to being 100℅ compatible with a ryzen 2200g. i would like it to work compldtly out of the box due to me trying to get into linux,any help?

I need to run a root command upon start up of my DE. The problem is I'm running two different DEs, XFCE and i3wm. Specifically I need to run "sudo unlink /tmp/discord.sock" when both start. How would I do this?

Attached: sacrifice.jpg (425x424, 44K)

Intel or PowerPC? Either way, try out Debian. As far as the Mac OS X look goes, don't even bother. Just use something lightweight like FVWM.

.bashrc

>.bashrc
Will that run without me opening a terminal?

I installed Debian Stretch minimal on my computer, I'm really happy with it but I would like to understand how updating works. I'm using apt update and apt upgrade to update my computer, is it enough? Why are there so many confusing repo in my source list.
deb deb.debian.org/debian stretch main
deb-src deb.debian.org/debian stretch main

deb security.debian.org/debian-security/ stretch/updates main
deb-src security.debian.org/debian-security/ stretch/updates main

deb deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main
deb-src deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main
I understand the deb-src are for sources but how works others repo? What are the difference between stretch, stretch/updates and stretch-updates? The documentation about this is really poor and confusing to me. Is there a website with the list of the update for each repo (where I can see the latest updated package) ?

do your both DEs start from the same destktop manager? then there is a good chance it sources etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d, try adding some scirpts there, at least thats what i did when needed to setup redshift to autostart

you probably didn't install base-devel, and i would imagine manjaro would though.

First lines are the base distro.
Middle lines are the debian security packages, basically security updates only.
Last lines are updated software. When Debian jumps a minor versions (like from 9.2 to 9.4) those will be integrated to the first one.

They are separated into 3 parts for mostly technical reasons, like
-debian installer operates from the base distro. Changing it might mess with someones installer somewhere in the world.
-security is on a separate content delivery network, managed directly by the debian security team so everyone can get the security updates in time, not when their mirrors' update crontab runs

what do you mean by desktop manager? I start both from lightDM: I don't really care if I have to enter the same thing in different files

Thank you for the explanation, I can finally understand how this works.
I have set unattended upgrades to upgrade everything on my computer. I can finally stop doing maintenance every week. I will check the logs to verify everything is indeed updated daily.

in ncmpcpp is it possible to bind keys to work like L,H,M in vim, to select the top, middle, bottom of the current view?

help?

create new .sh file in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d and put your sudo unlink /tmp/discord.sock there, although i dont know how it would handle password authentication

No.

fuck, I was wondering whether it's something wrong with terminal when it was just a flag to ls, thanks user :3

Attached: Bez nazwy 1 kopia.jpg (150x150, 45K)

your moms gay

Any bufferline plugin for neovim that supports mouseclick on buffer and isn't vim-airline?

guys, been moving around from distro to distro from a time now. i botched my voidlinux setup.
thinking of trying to debian stretch, what you guys think?

What do you mean by "work compldtly out of the box"?
If you need a easy experience or the latest proprietary drivers for performances in gayming just go for Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu...
If you want extra stability and more freedom look at Debian, it may works out of the box even with the open source drivers, just test yourself.
If nothing works try to go for a distro with a recent kernel but if *ubuntu and Debian don't work just stay on windows until a new kernel support your ryzen.

What's your way to go file compression manager?

I installed PeaZip and for fucks sake I can't get it to work.

And yes, I'm not exactly savvy in Linux but I want to free myself from the botnet.

Debian stretch is literally near perfect, it's stable and support is nice. It's the perfect distro to get shit done without bloat and non free softwares.
I used Void Linux, Arch Linux, Parabola GNU/LInux each more than 8 months and Debian is the best distro. The only drawback is that some softwares for ricers are missing like i3-gaps or polybar but it's really easy to compile them if you follow the instructions on the github pages.
Don't forget to uncheck the bloat during the installation if you want a minimal setup.

I have no idea about Linux or anything about computers, but Windows takes too much time to startup mostly because my machine is trash (HP laptop). People told me that some newfag-friendly Linux distros could help but I'm kinda unsure about it. I only need this to write shit on word, watch videos and maybe play one or two games, so should I risk and try something like Mint or Lubuntu? Or are there any better newfag friendly distros that won't shit up my machine and let me do the shit I need without making me learn everything? I plan to upgrade to desktop at some point but I have no time or money until the end of the year, so it would be a hassle.

tar

For that guy searching the web in 5 years, finding the Jow Forums archives, reading this reply: I didn't forget you; this one's for you:

# Emulate grep -P.
perl -wnle '/(?

Attached: 1534352272350.jpg (449x493, 20K)

Just use the shell tools.

how long should it take to compile firefox 52 ESR.tar.bz2 on i5 2400?
last time i did this i mistook the versions and tried to compile 60 ESR and it took literally over 4 hours so i left it over night and didnt even bother checking error message that prompted
now i have downloaded ccache, but isnt firefox written in rust anyway?
I have uncommented MAKEFLAG and added -j4 for my 4 cores, is there any more i can do?

Why do you _need_ to compile 52esr yourself btw?

there is no ready package in manjaro repos

atool. it's just a wrapper around all the different tools (zip, gzip, tar, rar)
you can just write aunpack archive.zip to unzip, apack file.tar.gz file.txt to compress, als archive.zip to list the contents, etc.

Complete noob here working with Arch Linux... what is the most traditional and overall considered best way for experienced users to mount external usb pendrives and hard disks directly from terminal without getting into Desktop Environments and higher level stuff?

>picture unrelated

Attached: 1282572107389.gif (240x180, 2.16M)

My nigga. Using atool since ever. Best thing about it us that it created a directory instead of spreading files around and if only one file, it doesn't.

yes. Should be a "bindings" file in your user directory (~/.ncmpcpp/bindings).

>For that guy searching the web in 5 years, finding the Jow Forums archives [...]
>tfw I might have to use this command in the future and will find this post

Attached: 1422075771343.jpg (240x320, 12K)

mkdir /home/flashdrive
fdisk -l
mount /dev/s**** /home/flashdrive

What's a pendrive?

lsblk to find out the device name
traditional, requires root:
mkdir /mnt/myusb
mount /dev/sdb1 /media/myusb
modern, requires udisks:
udisksctl mount -b /dev/sdb1
udisksctl unmount -b /dev/sdb1

i recently installed xubuntu on my laptop and it doesn't suspend after i close the lid.
any ideas why?

Attached: 1533866400732.jpg (1218x1644, 343K)

you can install udiskie, it will automount drives at /run/media

>needing ESR software
>using Manjaro
>not just using the binary tarball from Mozilla
What are you doing?

No

>gobunism

Attached: You know the country.jpg (1400x1051, 326K)

download the binary tarball for mozilla
ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

unpack it in your home and you are ready to go. Remember to disable auto updates if you wish to stay at 52.

but can you bind to select the middle of the screen? doesn't seem like you can

will it be listed by a pacman then, if i install it from a script provided in tarball?
can i first unpack it and then feed it to pacman?

No. You install it as a standalone software. For your information, same would happen if you compiled it yourself.

ubuntu flavors are perfect for babies first linux, make a live usb and try it out

Best music to listen to for posting ITT?

I see what you're asking; never tried myself.

jwz.org/hacks/rms-deathmetal.mp3

Attached: 1534355027110.gif (267x339, 506K)

Thx for the input! this is how standard users usually do it right?

aka a flashdrive an usb flash memory... desu everybody calls it in a different way along the years

thx for the info but shouldnt this line:
mount /dev/sdb1 /media/myusb
be this way?:
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/myusb

Im using Arch Linux with X11 and i3wm and my intention is to use only native packages nothing from the AUR so I will give a look to udisks2 in this case

youtube.com/watch?v=nvY1EWC9XJw

How can I troubleshoot a Debian netinst consistanly failing to download packages (checksum was fine, even tried two different iso's), but the regular version working fine? I'd really prefer to use netinsts in the future.