/spg/ - Smartphone General

Black Is So Cool Looking Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous Thread -

Attached: huawei_p20_pro_template_2048x.jpg (1500x1500, 68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xda-developers.com/huawei-stop-providing-bootloader-unlock-codes/
freedommobile.ca/plans-and-devices/mobile-devices
displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note9_ShootOut_44N9.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are the spec leaks of the Pixel 3 official by now?

Can you put a decent rom on a sd s8?
Its the cheapest phone that will give me headphone jack, micro sd and decent screen.

>Budget
USD 350 (Can't go any further.)

>Size
Should not go beyond 5.5 inches.

>Primary requirements
1080p screen, very good/a whole day lasting battery life and not a Samsung.

>Secondary requirements
A rather good camera, which will be mostly used to take pictures of college notes and a strong body.

Suggest me!

Any recs for a phone similar in price and specs to the redmi note 5 but not as big? My dad got one and I think it's a little to much for me. I'm in Canada and my budget is 300 cad ish. I just crunched my lg g5 lmao

Carrier?

should I?
- huge screen
- big battery
- good camera

what are the cons?

Attached: image.jpg (620x330, 18K)

Is the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1 good?

Sony XA2 or Nokia 6.1. Mi A2 Lite if that's available.

Shitty camera but it's good for the price. 1kmAh larger than the Redmi Note 5.

Nokia 8 is cheaper than 7 plus
what's the catch?

How bad is the A2 Lite when compared to the Note 5?

You can enable rootless Camera2, asus gave a adb command themselves

Why is the oneplus 6 no endorsed more in these threads?

Attached: op.jpg (1440x960, 203K)

notch

What's a good phone for installing a custom ROM? It has to hav expandable memory.

redmi note 5

Note 6

>Nokia 8 is cheaper than 7 plus
8 is one year older

A used pixel xl meets all of this with a 1440p screen

>has enough space for a headphone jack
>but doesn't have one
This shit's anticonsumer.

The price.
If you're not poor, buy it

TouchWiz and a lack of updates are two cons for me

But the notch is nothing, i got over it in like an hour of useage.
It's way smaller in person than what it looks like on images i believe.

Not available worldwide and no longer the flagship killer.

>having to get over something
>buying things you don't actually like

the speakers are also shit, no microsd slot, glass back with no wireless charging, camera is not s9/iphone level

How do I make my S9 stop telling me to set up Calling Plus?

price is not a concern for me

i understand updates might be slower. what are alternatives with big screen, battery and camera?
I'm not buying chink phones.

When i viewed images of the phone i heavily disliked the notch and i thought it would bother me a lot, but when i went to a store to check the phone out it was absolutely no problem desu, it was more of a thing to get used to than an annoyance.

speakers i agree on, they could easily have moved the headphone jack a bit to make room for 2nd set of speakers, microsd card for me is not a bother, only when i wanna transfer files from/to the phone (but that's really the problem with MTP being a shitty and slow protocol)
I do not see the point of wireless charging since the phone charges quick and i only have to charge it once every 2 days.
Camera is good in stock mode, but it really gets comfy when you use promode.

I have 128gb mirror black.

Huawei Nova 3

It's asian.

>I'm not buying chink phones
Stop buying smartphones altogether in that case. Ironically, Chinese devices are known as being developer friendly. Samsung's devices have been getting progressively harder to develop for since the S5. The S6 was an absolute failure, the S7 had horrible battery life either way, the S8 only has debloated TouchWiz ROMs and the S9 is on its way of once again being a developer friendly Samsung device. In all this time gimmicks kept being introduced and adopted by Samsung - glass backs, curved screen edges and of course ridiculous pricing. Good luck.

What does Jow Forums think of the Redmi Note 4X? My phone got robbed and I need a temporary one at the moment. Our local reseller sells it for $140.

Don't ever expect or hope for promised OEM updates. Treble support may be the solution, but only for newer devices.

Is the xiaomi a2 worth the upgrade over the a2 lite? I like the idea of getting a chink phone and also not having to use miui

just fucked up my oneplus 3T, dropped it in water and the keys stopped working.
what should I get next? thinking of waiting for the S10 but thats like 7 months still
anything goes as long as there's no notch

The original 6.4 Mi Mix just dropped to $305 on dhgate, plus if you make a new account you can get $20 off. Sucks for me after just paying $350 last month. This thing is actually about the size of a note 4. Downsides is it seems really fragile and the earspeaker isn't very loud when you stick it in my heavy duty case

i understand your point.
what phones should I consider instead of the note 9? need huge screen, big battery and good camera.

I've found notches are really only an annoyance when you're using screen protectors as the cutout sticks out like a sore thumb. Otherwise most apps hide it decently well unless their black is a different shade from the notch.

How good is the battery life on the BB passport?

What do you think about the Oneplus 6T?

Attached: OppoR171024.jpg (841x768, 40K)

apparently the august update for the exynos s9 has fixed all the problems, even gives you an extra hour of SoT but i'm on an unlocked vodaphone one so no updates for me since june

can I flash unbranded unlocked firmware on to it?

Mi Note 3 / Mi6

holy shit I could literally flash my bricked redmi using edl and fix it but fucking xiaomi's retarded software stops me from doing it without "permission"

what do we think of the xiaomeme Mi A1 on amazon for $190?

also whats up with meizu phones? They dont work on my network but they look good.

i prefer the other notch desu

Just enable the on-screen navigation buttons

i'd buy it if it was 5.5" or smaller

not worth it when Redmi Note 5 is the same price (and only a little more expensive for the 4/64 version)

Am I missing something? Why is there no clear way on unlocking a p10 plus bootloader but there are many custom rom for it. It make it seem like unlocking the bootloader is super easy.

xda-developers.com/huawei-stop-providing-bootloader-unlock-codes/

Who is the Note series in Samsung for?

It is easy, but not many manufacturers are willing to support development for their devices. It's also very convenient to exploit software backdoors and similar malware if only OEM firmwares can ever be installed on a given device.

I did, reminds me of my old sony and makes me want to throw it against a wall.

I already have the twilight one.

What are the advantages of rooting a phone?
and
What are the risks?

I have a Galaxy J7 Prime and it just passed it's warranty period and I'm thinking of rooting it. I don't like seeing bloatware.

Aaayyyyy that is fucking shit.
Fucking chinks.
I knew holding on to some 1 year chink warranty is useless.

I'm planning to switch to Freedom Mobile (Canada), my friend is giving me a pretty good discount.

Is it worth it to trade in my OP3 for a Pixel 2 XL (on tab, not contract), or something else that Freedom offers? Alternatively I can just wait for my phone to actually shit the bed before I switch to something new.

freedommobile.ca/plans-and-devices/mobile-devices

I'm looking for an upgrade from my Samsung Galaxy s5, battery is dead and lags on messages

I rather not spend $800+ on the s9/variants
I was looking at oneplus 6 as a back up but i would like to go cheaper so I looked at chinese shit
Is the xiaomi note 5/5 plus an actual upgrade from the s5?

Since you guys dont like the oneplus 6 anymore what is a good alternative in the same price range?
Looking for a new phone because my S7 screen broke and a repair is like €100+

Asus Zenfone 5Z

Should I buy the Huawei Heaven 7+?

Check Amazon International Versions. Bought my S9+ a solid 1/3 cheaper compared to the typical retail price that way.

Only €20 cheaper than the oneplus

Aren't the prices gonna drop because they released the Note 9? Also the s10 or whatever soon

cons for me:

ill never use the s pen enough
too expensive

>what is a good alternative in the same price range

Lack of updates is a pro for me. Oreo pretty much ruined my HTC 10. If updates are getting pushed out I want them to actually make my phone better.

i think it looks tacky. i wont buy it if there are other notch less phones

how important are updates really

People without manlet hands and people who actually have a lot of use for the s pen. AKA, me.

>lack of updates
Lack of full version android updates you mean.

Actual security updates (the ones you should care about) come out every single month.

How's the Moto G6? Anything I should know? I am thinking of ordering one for the Google Fi deal and i can't really find any huge faults with it.

>Budget
Willing to go used. $350

>Size
5.5 inches is ideal, but at this point I can't be picky

>Primary requirements
1080p screen only. 1440 is a meme. AMOLED, SD Slot and headphone jack. Has all the required Verizon bands

>Secondary requirements
A camera that can shoot in low light.

my old note3 is shitting itself so Im looking for some new stuff.

is the keyone any good? they dropped to 300€ because the keytwo came out and I'd like a keyboard. keytwo is too expensive currently imo.

>1080p screen only. 1440 is a meme
DsiplayMate disagrees with you.

1440p is great for a smartphone panel, provides great pixel density which just looks better than 1080p, especially at the viewing distances commonly used for a phone, however 4k on a phone is 100% a meme unless you're doing VR.

I want to invest in a good phone that lasts for at least 3 years, problem is, i don't have cash atm, so i'll be getting it on loan from a carrier, what's the best i can get?
The best things my carrier has are things like: S9, iPhone (from 6 to X), Moto Z3 Play, Huawei P20. But i really hate samsung experience and emui. I've never used iOS but i'm considering getting an iPhone 8.
What do? If i could i would get a Pixel 2 XL or a OnePlus6, but the phone is needed ASAP

Friendly reminder you don't need an upgrade if your phone works just fine. Keep using it until it actually dies you consumerist slut.

Moto Z2 Play is on sale for $299. 5.5" 1080p AMOLED display, SD slot and headphone jack. Compatible with Verizon.

SD 660 >>> SD 625
Unless you're on a tight budget, however, then the A2 lite isn't bad, it's just that 625 is old. Also, the lite still has the headphone jack.

whats it like being poor user

Are there any smartphone/laptop/pc docks that Jow Forums recommends? I have a pretty cheap samsung galaxy, so I'm looking for compatibility over anything else. Or would it just be easier to hook up a mouse and keyboard to the phone instead?

Attached: nighthawks.jpg (304x166, 7K)

>Is the xiaomi note 5/5 plus an actual upgrade from the s5?
It can be argued it is in almost every way. The S5 was waterproof and had AMOLED panel - those are the differences. If you're using a fingerprint scanner, it's very fast and accurate on the Redmi Note 5.

anyone?

Source?

No
From what I know the exynos s9 has stock rom support that should be your best bet or the op6 is your best bet

It's a tidbit they threw into the new Galaxy Note9 display review.

displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note9_ShootOut_44N9.htm

>QHD screens: they offer "higher sharpness than can be resolved with normal 20/20 vision at typical viewing distances... for phones it is pointless to increase the resolution up to 4K for a silly marketing wild goose chase into the stratosphere, with no visual benefit for humans!"

Fuck.
I had the 1st Gen Moto X and said I'd never get another Moto after they fucked things up.
Will take a look at it though. Is is using a 6xx or something?

Attached: 91cTdvawryL._SX522_.jpg (522x567, 45K)

Is it reasonable to expect a oneplus 6 to last 3 years?

Related: would it be better to get a Mi8 SE (about half the price), and replace it after 2 years?

If you're strapped for cash I'd go for the SE, only replace once it's really beaten to the ground.

Outlasted p20 pro and has a headphone jack, that's a buy for me, fuck it.

I was posting yesterday, I'm looking to replace my (frankly fucked) Nexus 6P. I was ready to pull the trigger on the oneplus 6 but got spooked by some reddit posts saying battery perf. had gotten much worse after a recent update. Now I'm questioning if it's really worthwhile spending ~£440

A Snapdragon 626, which is basically just a slightly higher clocked SD625.

If you were buying used your best option would probably be Galaxy S7/S8, or a OG Pixel / Pixel XL (no SD slot though).

What about note 5 pro? I don't see it on amazon though

Note 5 Pro is just the Indian name for Redmi Note 5

Thoughts on LG? The V30 looks honestly great, but I haven't found whether its included with the bootloop lawsuit

>s pen. AKA, me.
What are the uses with an S Pen?

anything that requires finer precision than a finger tip.

up to and including signing PDF documents, which for me personally I do for work several times a week, being able to sign while on the phone and not having to rely on some digital signature kept on file is great.

Ugh, why are there no flagships with 3.5mm jacks?