I am in the market for a new 50 or 55 inch TV and I am trying to decide if 4K is worth the extra money or should I just...

I am in the market for a new 50 or 55 inch TV and I am trying to decide if 4K is worth the extra money or should I just get a 1080p?
Most of my movies (over 1500) are 720p which looks just fine on my current 1080p 39 inch TV. How shitty will 720p look on a tv that can handle 4K?

Attached: LG_84inch_TV-625x352.jpg (625x352, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch
twitter.com/AnonBabble

go for 4k

I need to know if all my 720p movies will look like garbage.

Depends on what your budget is. Any resolution looks better on a 4k OLED panel, but they're damn expensive

720p scales to 4K better than it does to 1080p actually. (Exact 3x integer scale)

You're going to notice the pixelation

Although it would be a shame to have a nice UHD TV and use it primarily for your old 720p encodings. Hope you have some 4K content lined up too (Netflix or whatever)

720p scaled to a 55" 4K TV will look better than 720p scaled to a 55" 1080p TV. This is because 1 pixel of the 720p content matches to exactly 9 pixels on the 4K panel, whereas scaling to 1080p requires some fuzzy interpolation.

4k panels are so cheap theres literally no reason not to get one

No real reason to get a 1080p now over 4k since alot of 1080p TVs are being phased out and the prices are almost no different
720p on any display at 50-55 inches is going to look soft. Not really pixelated but soft depending on the media player

get 4k and oled

I mean I could if I wanted to. I'm thinking about the TCL Roku 55" so I could re-activate my Netflix or watch stuff on Amazon I suppose.

>literally no reason not to get one
Except if all my movies look like dogshit. Just because something is affordable doesn't mean it MUST be bought.

oled or bust.
Resolution is secondary as most content is 1080p anyway and at typical TV viewing distances you can't really tell the difference anyway

so download 4k movies then? are you autistic?

No you retard.
I don't have time to go find 4K copies of the 1500 movies I already have. Are you twelve?
Because I am an adult American male with a job, bills, and responsibilities.

I'm not really interested in spending $3000 on a TV, thanks.

ah you are an amerilard, i thought something was up, that explains everything

I have 4k and I will say that it's great except the apps and streaming box shit will not catch up soon. Only certain apps even support it now and even then it's only certain shows/films. Netflix offers a more expensive 4k plan that I may get for a bit, but for the most part streaming wont catch up to 4k for a couple years at this rate. I think AmazonPrime offers some 4k though, but only certain ones. Though downloading your own 4k movies is quite a treat, that would be the best option if you want to invest.

Please go lie down in front of a train, you child.

oled is dropping in price fast. can't you get them for a grand now?

a higher resolution screen won't make lower resolution movies look worse than on a lower resolution screen.

be careful, you do know your government spies on you, don't you? saying this like that over the internet is a good way to get arrested

What shithole country do you live in?

>can't you get them for a grand now?
Unless you replace your TV every year there is no reason to get OLED even if they are ONLY $1000

I believe this to be fundamentally incorrect.

a country in eastern europe where I can browse the internet freely and get education without getting shot

oled lasts 50 years

This does not happen in America. So whatever education you're getting over there is very limited.

Are you sure about that, amerifat?

May 25: Noblesville, Indiana
Two people were injured when a gunman opened fire at Noblesville West Middle School in Noblesville, Indiana.
May 18: Santa Fe, Texas
Ten people were killed in a shooting at Santa Fe High School.
May 11: Palmdale, California
A 14-year-old boy went to Highland High, his former school, and began shooting a semiautomatic rifle shortly before classes were scheduled to begin, officials said. A 15-year-old boy was struck in the shoulder.
April 20: Ocala, Florida
A 17-year-old student at Forest High School was shot in the ankle shortly before students were to walk out as part of a national protest against gun violence.. The suspect was a 19-year-old former student.
April 12: Raytown, Missouri
A man was shot in the stomach in the parking lot of Raytown South Middle School during a track meet.
April 9: Gloversville, New York

A student shot another student with a BB gun in Gloversville Middle School.
March 20: Lexington Park, Maryland
An armed student shot two others at Great Mills High School before a school resource officer fired a round at the shooter. The shooter was killed. One of the students, 16-year-old girl Jaelynn Willey, was taken off life support two days later.
March 13: Seaside, California
A teacher accidentally discharged a gun during a public safety class at Seaside High School, injuring a student.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-15_18-03-26.png (1366x768, 92K)

March 8: Mobile, Alabama
One person was hospitalized after a shooting at an apartment building on the campus of the University of South Alabama.
March 7: Birmingham, Alabama
One student was killed and another critically wounded after an accidental shooting during dismissal time at Huffman High School. Police wouldn't elaborate further.
March 7: Jackson, Mississippi
A student was shot inside a dormitory at Jackson State University. His injuries were not life-threatening.
March 2: Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Two people were shot to death at a dormitory on the campus of Central Michigan University. The victims were not students and police think the incident stemmed from a domestic situation.
February 27: Norfolk, Virginia

A student at Norfolk State University was shot from an adjacent dorm room while he was doing homework. He was not seriously injured.
February 27: Itta Bena, Mississippi
A person was shot in a rec center at Mississippi Valley State University. Police said the person was not a student and the injury was not life-threatening.
February 24: Savannah, Georgia
A person was shot on the campus of Savannah State University and taken to a nearby hospital where he later died. Neither the victim nor the shooter were university students, the college said.

February 14: Parkland, Florida
A 19-year-old man gunned down students and staff with a rifle at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, slaughtering at least 17 unsuspecting students and adults. The shooter, Nikolas Cruz, had been expelled from the high school over disciplinary problems, officials said.
February 9: Nashville
A high school student was shot five times in the parking lot of Pearl-Cohn High School.
February 5: Oxon Hill, Maryland
A high school student was shot in the parking lot of Oxon Hill High. The victim was treated and later released. Police arrested two teens and said they are acquaintances of the victim.
February 1: Los Angeles
A 15-year-old boy was shot in the head and a 15-year-old girl shot in the wrist at Sal Castro Middle School in Los Angeles, officials said. Two other students were grazed by bullets. A 12-year-old girl was booked for negligent discharge of a firearm in that shooting, which was considered "unintentional," Los Angeles police said.
January 31: Philadelphia

A fight led to a shooting in the parking lot of Lincoln High School, fatally wounding a 32-year-old man.
January 23: Benton, Kentucky
A 15-year-old student shot 16 people -- killing two other 15-year-olds -- at Marshall County High School, authorities said. The student faces two charges of murder and 12 counts of first degree assault.
January 22: Italy, Texas
A 15-year-old student was wounded in a shooting at a high school in Italy, Texas, authorities said. The suspect, also 15, was quickly apprehended.
January 20: Winston Salem, North Carolina
A Winston-Salem State University football player, Najee Ali Baker, was shot to death at a party on the campus of Wake Forest University.

>oled lasts 50 years
Sitting on a shelf unpowered until it rots away on its own?

More? Your children will probably be a part of these statistics in the near future

January 15, 2015 Milwaukee, Wisconsin 0 3 A 15-year-old boy, a student's father, and a teacher were each injured in the school parking lot at Wisconsin Lutheran High School. The student had unspecified injuries that were treated. The father was shot in the knee and the teacher was grazed in the toe. A 36-year-old man was charged in the shooting.[469]
January 16, 2015 Ocala, Florida 0 2 Two were injured in gunfire that occurred after a Friday night basketball game. One was injured directly by a bullet, the other by ricocheting glass.[470]
February 4, 2015 Frederick, Maryland 0 2 Two students were shot near the gymnasium of Frederick High School during a junior varsity (JV) boys' basketball game. Approximately two hundred students, staff, and faculty were placed on lockdown for several hours after the shooting while police searched for the suspects. No suspects have been apprehended, although witnesses report seeing four black males dressed all in black who are considered by police to be suspects in this shooting.[471]
February 14, 2015 Merced, California 1 0 A teenager was found dead in the parking lot of Tenaya Middle School. The shooting was reported to have occurred after school hours.[472]
February 23, 2015 Daytona Beach, Florida 0 3 Two students argued outside the music building at Bethune-Cookman University when one pulled out a gun. Both had guns and it is not disclosed who did the shooting, injuring three students. A reward was offered to help solve this case.[473]
March 30, 2015 University City, Missouri 0 1 Police said one person has been arrested for a shooting at Pershing Elementary School. The shooting occurred in the parking lot, with a 34-year-old-man being shot in the buttocks.[474]

Austism

October 1, 2015 Roseburg, Oregon 10 9 Umpqua Community College shooting: At around 10:40 a.m. PDT, a gunman, later identified as 26-year-old student Christopher Harper-Mercer, opened fire in a hall on the Umpqua Community College campus, killing eight students and one teacher, and injuring nine others. The gunman later committed suicide after engaging responding police officers in a brief gunfight.[484]
October 9, 2015 Flagstaff, Arizona 1 3 One student died and three others were wounded in a shooting at Northern Arizona University. It is unclear what sparked the shooting, which took place near Mountain View Hall, a dormitory that houses most of the campus' students involved in Greek organizations. An 18-year-old student was arrested and charged with murder and aggravated assault.[485]
October 9, 2015 Houston, Texas 1 1 One person died and another person was injured after someone opened fire outside a Texas Southern University dorm.[486]
October 22, 2015 Nashville, Tennessee 1 3 One person was killed and three others were wounded in a shooting at an outdoor courtyard at Tennessee State University. The shooting may have stemmed from an argument over a dice game. A suspect has not been identified or arrested.[487]
November 1, 2015 Winston-Salem, North Carolina 1 1 One person died and another person was injured after someone opened fire on the campus of Winston-Salem State University. A 21-year-old non-student suspect is sought.[488]

that's the best thing you could think of after 8 minutes?

>that's the best thing you could think of after 8 minutes?
>implying
Nope just a bystander that wanted to talk about TVs but oh no someone had to make a fucking comment about where someone lives and proceed to derail a thread

In five minutes, you can set up Radarr to do this all automatically for you. You are on private trackers, right user?

can't find anything decent to replace this

Attached: PDP-LX5090.jpg (800x600, 32K)

nope, 8hours a day

>using BitTorrent
Either answer my question about 720p picture quality on a 55" 4K TV or shut up, man.
Most of the movies I've collected don't even have HD versions, much less 4K. You're not helping.

Or how about I won't answer shit to you with that filthy attitude? Go eat shit and fuck off faggot

OP had a very specific question and almost everyone ITT is doing their best to not address it. This is the worst meme on Jow Forums and needs to die.

Okay. You can use Radarr with Usenet too. But to answer your original question, your 720p films will look better on a 4K oled than they would on a 1080p tv. Not fantastic, but better

Fuck your mother. Fuck her to death.

Don't pretend to be me

You are not because any sane person will distance the TV from the couch accordingly.

?
Who's pretending? I'm the guy who brought up Radarr in the first place

>Because I am an adult American male with a job, bills, and responsibilities
>need to emphisize the fact he's amerishart
>he's also obnoxious about it
unironically kys

he's obnoxious in every post, I have no idea why people are still dignifying him with responses

I recently bought a 49" 1080p TV and I can see the pixelation if I watch anything that is not 1080p otherwise it looks fantastic
I've seen 4k tvs in exhibition that look like dog shit because the source video was not full HD

>burnin or bust

you need to upscale lowres shit with good upscaler

Attached: C7EC7A90-530F-4C05-A177-8219C4C3F0E6.gif (200x105, 18K)

Attached: lg-55-oled-tv-1.jpg (580x361, 71K)

MadVR FTW

rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/55-inch