Why are you still using systemd?

Explain yourself.

Attached: 1534326719931.png (1066x621, 176K)

Because it Just Werks™

>muh sysvinit
>muh minimalism

You don't have to be a retarded ricer to realise that the main dev is a retard and the huge feature-creep goes against UNIX philosophy.

>google as a verb recommended firejail options for online banking.
>google dns servers recommended because they're actively monitored by the NSA.
>really makes you think.

>Why are you still using systemd?

Because every mainstream distro uses it. It's defacto standard Linux.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

> UNIX philosophy
> in $CURRENT_YEAR
> on Not Unix
cat-v plz go

Attached: 1533930548664.jpg (632x1952, 211K)

nice font rendering

I personally like the UNIX philosophy so that's why avoid systemd. You shit on it but it is what allows me to use sysv and you systemd. Because of the UNIX philosophy, the init system is changable and not set in stone.

ganew snot unix.

Yeah imagine having a software project where all the modules were designed to actually work together instead of in total isolation and then cobbled into a giant shit ball later. That would be TERRIBLE! My system needs to be ideologically pure, none of this "functional" bullshit.

Attached: 1530841317519.jpg (409x618, 58K)

Microsoft did this. How did that turn out?

>I personally like the UNIX philosophy

then why do you use Linux

>My system needs to be ideologically pure, none of this "functional" bullshit.
that's pretty much word-for-word the position of FSF tho

It turned out pretty good. Windows actually just werks pretty much always. Sure it's not perfect, but it's definitely more reliable than Linux on the desktop, where it's mainly intended to be used. It's nice to finally see Linux taking a step in the right direction. Now, about that ui fragmentation...

I said I like the philosophy not that I'm a zealot.

I don't know about you but in my experience, a well set up linux system is better and more stable than Windows. I do understand that the out-of-the box nature is why Windows dominates but I'm not arguing for mass adoption of desktop linux so to me that doesn't matter. If you personally think linux should become a desktop os for the averge joe, it makes sense to like systemd. Same goes of ui fragmentation. I personally think it's neat to have choice and not be forced into explorer.exe.

>and the huge feature-creep goes against UNIX philosophy.
That would be a shame if not for the Unix philosophy being ignored wherever it's a hassle by the kernel. TCP fd's? Good luck using them in any meaningful way on a command line - and you might as well shoot yourself if you're looking for a text stream. There's a reason Plan9 exists, and it isn't because they were inspired by how well Linux embodies Unix.

Because it's vastly superior to any other init system. Treating the boot process from an event perspective is only natural and more efficient; only an idiot would want to poll hardware in the current year.

What I advocate is a well put together, consistent base that application developers can use to easily provide good looking polished applications. Windows partially accomplishes this, though their API isn't the easiest to use. A really good example of this is later versions of Android and even iOS (though iOS is really just too closed off to be a good model to follow). Anybody can create a really nice looking material application with relative ease and rest assured it will look as intended for everyone. The init system ties into this too, because systemd units are way simpler than sysv init scripts and they do a better job abstracting away environment specific configuration details. With sysv you have to worry about those more than anybody ideally should have to.

You're right though. This sort of system does come at the expense of some user choice. Ideally I think there should be one really good ui framework that CAN be themed, but it should be clear what the target skin is and if you change the look, it should be obvious that a smooth experience is not guaranteed.

Different UI frameworks are fine too, as long as they're all targeting the one true look n feel, which is why Qt apps on windows actually look a lot more consistent and polished than Qt apps running in a GTK based DE on linux. It's known a priori what theme almost every windows user is going to be using, so you can design to it very easily.

>Use -D dns-servers= to direct systemd-resolved to different fallback DNS servers.
Problem fixed for the 1% who can't use google servers.

>MUH EUNICS FILOSOFY XDDDD

>, if no other NTP configuration is available.
Translated to pleb:
A fallback in case you neglected your due diligence.

Yeah let's just ignore Xorg , and the Linux kernel itself. Unix is dead. Its sad because the Unix philosophy is just good engineering principals.

Systemd timer setup is easy and much more versatile compared to anacron and Cron jobs. It just werks.

i'm currently staring at the gentoo kernel configuration menu, so I will soon not be using that systemd bullshit. Just I never configured a kernel before let alone install gentoo, this is going to be a long learning experience for me.

systemd does as much hardware polling as any other init/service manager

I don't use systemd-resolved's default DNS
I don't use systemd-networkd's default time server

I have never encountered a situation where I felt systemd was limiting me our causing errors in my system. It's free software.

Attached: magane.jpg (868x1228, 160K)

Because I'm capable of editing a config file to change things that bother me

My distro comes with it.

Because creating unit files for services is easier than creating unreliable sysvinit scripts?

I don't have time to devote 10+hrs/day on maintaining a systemd-free system just for silent protest

>defaults to google DNS only if no other option is specified in the config file and compiled with google as the default
>DNS
>Secure
>not using a DNSCrypt/Stubby/Unbound local resolver for DNS over TLS or DNS over HTTPS anyway
Since it's a hardcoded default they have to use a reliable and stable DNS provider, which really only leaves Google and recently Cloudflare, unlike freetard DNS providers who are constantly dying or changing addresses.