TUIs are the logical next step for minimalist design

So why aren't Apple, Microsoft, etc. making their new OSs text based? I mean, minimalist design is in, right? We don't need skeumorphism because new generations aren't even familiar with the physical objects icons are based on. So why have a GUI to begin with? Why are they creating UIs that are more bloated than ever? If we follow Apple's philosophy to its logical conclusion, they should be making text-based OSs where any task that isn't inherently graphical is managed via the command line.

Attached: Synchronet.png (802x434, 6K)

*click* *splosh* imagine kids these days would need to use actual keyboard shortcuts lmao

This screenshot would be strictly improved if it were a GUI with clickable buttons instead of random keys and modern, proportional, nicely antialiased font rendering.

I do, however, greatly appreciate the fact that it displays all important controls right away. High information density, great use of screen real estate. In current software, "Message scan config" would be in a deeply tested series of modal dialog popups, each with enormous margins and space for ads.

So I guess my point is, modern software has the capacity to be a lot better than old stuff, but we've also gone backwards in many ways.

how do I into menus like this?
I'm a beginner programmer but I want to get into GUI/TUI so I can make my programs actually usable to me. I like CLI but I want to slowly expand my options. I'm learning python right now(yeah I know but it's what school has taught me so far)

ncurses

TurboVision

>smearing letters
>any nice

Because we have these things called bitmap displays and we don't need to limit ourselves to software designed for teletype computers.

This () or raw ANSI.

(Me)
>deeply tested
*nested

Jaggy pixellated fonts are unnatural and look awful. You associated them with retro video games and therefore appreciate the nostalgia from them, but for actually reading information, they should be avoided at all reasonable cost.

Nor do we have to limit ourselves to flat themes. Yet we still do.

That's not minimilist.

It's more minimalist than anything Apple's made.

>So why aren't Apple, Microsoft, etc. making their new OSs text based?
They already have in the past. And sure, let them do that and not be able to sell it to their customer base.

what about newt/whiptail or termbox?

It would require a 4K display too.

This 20x

I wish someone would write a TUI interface library with a tiny bit of markup... Imagine OP’s pic, but with some larger fonts/headings, images and readable italics. A bit like plc HMIs but with less 90s shadows.

The only thing more minimal than that is the bloomberg terminal.

Because they are the worth of both worlds.

- Normal command line programs are composable
- Menu-driven GUI programs are discoverable
- TUIs are neither, they aren't actually minimalist either. Try developing one, to make a good one is as complicated as making a full GUI.

Why not just use FreeDOS?

this. DOS 4 lyfe. Multitasking is a bug not a feature

how do you expect someone to use a TUI with a touchscreen?

>how do you expect someone to use a TUI with a touchscreen?
the interface is text based.
the buttons and the rest are still clickable.
you can have mouse in tty with ncurses

The mouse is objectively better than the keyboard at everything except typing. Prove me wrong.