Linux is an unusable piece of FUCKING shit

As a desktop if you have high res and small screen.

My 3200x1800 shitbox laptop i use for uni (majoring in Kode btw) can't fucking use any desktop environment other than KDE without everything looking super tiny.
In Lincux, everything is fragmented as shit.
>thousands of distros
>thousands of desktop environments
and now you introduce yet another compatibility nightmare layer: high resolution/scaling.
Unless everyone conforms to a single standard, Linux will never be usable for normies. FUck. im so mad because I got my ideal setup, pic related, in a VM. but XFCE has THE WORST high dpi support out of every single DE. So, I'm back to square one with trying to find a DE that doesnt look like a fucking bootleg chink android UI, which unfortunately every single DE is.
>KDE looks and feels like Android x Windows 8
>Cinnamon looks and feels like Android x Windows 7
>XFCE was the only sorta ok one because of how lightweight it is
but still, even XFCE, every single DE is SHIT because of how hard it is to add or remove programs, when in windows everything is p.much drag and drop, or right click-->pin. FUCK this SHIT i HATE IT

Attached: actually usable DE.png (1683x1054, 226K)

Other urls found in this thread:

b00merang.weebly.com/themes.html
b00mer
help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

apt install synaptic
synaptic&
nigger, buy a mac.

use GNOME dumb nigger
t. 4K desktop user

>macOS
Im too comfortable with Windows UI to want to get used to anything else desu. What do you mean by
>synaptic?
that shit its just some shitty app store aka windows store, which nobody uses. why would anyone want a FUCKING app store on a computer?

Linux is a kernel, but I'll assume you mean debian based on the pic
>can't use debian
>majoring in kode
Found your problem, Karlie

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 7K)

Then set the resolution lower
Or use in a VM with SSH

Attached: Q8OJ7pV.jpg (800x1143, 131K)

>GNOME
Can you make GNOME look like pic in the OP, or somewhat non-mobile tier?

if you lower your res below that of the maximum, shit will look blurry.

Attached: not snap.jpg (613x531, 48K)

>Linux is a kernel
And the name of an OS family that uses the Linux kernel

Not if you do 50% on each axis
3200x1800? Upscale 1600x900

my monitor does look blurry even on a 50% reduction though, unlucky

Attached: le sneaky salesman.jpg (460x585, 64K)

>I use linux, it's easy!
>I hate linux, it's hard!
When people say this I have no idea what they're referring to

Wow this bait is great. Keep it coming.

im really not baiting. im bringing up a legitimate concern which is dpi scaling on your shit OS and all you can do is be in denial and defer it as bait? you like your echo chamber fuck face?

Attached: 1534293664111.jpg (1024x595, 122K)

DEs with best high-dpi support (from my experience with Fedora on a Surface Pro 4):
>1. Gnome
>2. Cinnamon
>3. KDE
The rest isn't even worth mentioning.

>why would anyone want a FUCKING app store on a computer?
A package manager in itself offers no software and synaptic is just a GUI frontend for it, as the other user is sure that you can't into CLI.
Repositories are an essential part of a distro, but you don't have to use them to install additional software. Of course you'll pass on the advantages of using them in combination with your package manager, like system wide software updates, automatic dependency handling or easily revertible installation.

Yes
b00merang.weebly.com/themes.html

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

wow, i actually got it to look very nice
1600x900, then did
xrandr --output eDP1 --scale "1x1"
it looks as sharp as native

tyvm sir

Attached: CHAOS CONTROL!.gif (500x399, 1.74M)

>majoring in Kode btw
Just fix it yourself then, patches are always welcome

will check that out in a vm to see if I like it, but for now holy shit, XFCE is actually very sharp with 1600x900 and that xrandr command

Attached: 1534202974860.jpg (223x226, 5K)

Just custom it...

Attached: Screenshot_20180718_183244.png (1920x1080, 648K)

Alrighty. That's fine you don't have to use it. We only suggest it here as a alternative to not using a computer to be safe with your online actions. You are a good candidate for the botnet anyways.

Attached: smug.png (640x400, 32K)

seems like that's a (you) problem

>ACTUALLY fell for the linux meme
lmao

Just install Gnome on Fedora it’s the best scaling support you will find.

You can mod it.

>that shit its just some shitty app store aka windows store
that's a big bait

Don't worry so much about how your shit looks. If you like pretty shit, buy a Mac.
Also, ditch Eclipse and install IntelliJ. College professors seem to think we use Eclipse in enterprise development for some reason. Pro tip, we don't.

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 6K)

>IntelliJ
>no dark theme

Attached: trash.jpg (678x636, 84K)

>KDE
>Ren'py
Que cringe. Escribe tu propio motor, pajero.

>no dark theme
It has a dark theme as well as third party ones.

>thousands of distros
there are a handful of actual choices, and most of those are some version of Ubuntu/Debian/Fedora
as an aside, until you figure you've got some kind of other needs that Ubuntu doesn't satisfy, just use Ubuntu -- whatever handful of commercial software for Linux you can find will often target it over the rest, it's got a ton of support resources, and it's easy
don't use Mint, it's just Ubuntu but tweaked by fucking morons

>thousands of DEs
just fucking use KDE
it works

>XFCE has poor support for something
what a shocker
I like XFCE, but it's only a big name because GNOME 3 was fucking retarded, so everyone jumped ship to it.

also, good christ, for someone who went on about looks so long, your desktop is ugly as sin

>that shit its just some shitty app store aka windows store, which nobody uses. why would anyone want a FUCKING app store on a computer?
You're a mouthbreather, aren't you?

it's a package manager, where you get software and updates from your distro

still very much an app store.

Attached: 1492646795363.png (900x900, 21K)

kde has an inherently mobile feel. you can chop it up and 'rice' it any way you want, but at the end of the fucking day, you're still using an early access Android tier UI. get the fuck out bitch

anyway your reply and this post from another thread made me wanna just fuck off to ubuntu to reach the end of the cycle. will give it a try tomorrow desu
i got my setup on the laptop with the xrandr command running ok with manjaro but the icon theme is not fully compatible which makes me wanna kms for wasting 4hr

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-16-00-38-05-301_org.mozilla.firefox.png (1080x1920, 249K)

I don't know how to use it, the post.

So don't. I don't care.

dumb reply

GNOME has had working hidpi for about three years now.

Its default setting is literally Windows 7 UI.

Still don't care. Boring thread.

havent seen any good gnome win95 rices though
gnome look like KDE early access android UI and has a pedo foot fetish shit eating logo on it. disgust

in manjaro kde is literally windows 10 cortana start menu wtf you on about

Win95 and hidpi are contradictory, faggot. That's literally the entire reason Microsoft dropped Classic Mode from Windows.

>windows theme on linux
cringe.

git gud
If you can't figure that out by yourself you should stick with Windows

I've been using 4K display on my desktop and laptop for resp 2 and 3 years without a problem.

don't blame the hardware and the software if you're the problem, mongoloid

no one is forcing you to use it retard

what's with all these stupid kids constantly whining lately?

Attached: 650.jpg (600x688, 37K)

KDE is obviously based in the Windows UI, If you really think it's Android tier you have probably never used GNOME 3, kek.

Lately?

>Linux will never be usable for normies
So?
Why should I care?

>every single DE is SHIT because of how hard it is to add or remove programs
It literally can not get easier then a packet manager, what the fuck are you saying?

Here is the thing, you want a Mac, but because you want to feel part of the special Linux club you are now bitching about that most DEs are not MacOS.
The issue is with YOU, YOU obviously have no interest in actually engaging with Linux. If you don't like it leave it, or try to fix it by asking polite questions.

>be after 1990
>design GUI around pixels instead of points
>be literally retarded
>be Linux DEs and Windows

>packet manager

What is this post trying to tell me?

>That's literally the entire reason Microsoft dropped Classic Mode from Windows.
Nah, they dropped it when they started to push congruence meme.

>every single DE is SHIT because of how hard it is to add or remove programs
>uni
So either Op is baiting or underqualified for his profession. Either way, shit thread. Sage in peace.

Attached: 1503237946942.gif (219x186, 1.76M)

>verified, easy-to-find software is bad
>still able to download and install anything you want from any source
hmm

Neckbeards will always defent their hobby/router OS because "muh elitism" and "look mom, i learned new productive commands"

tl;dr: lanics based distros never will be good.

Which is a problem because what people associate with "linux" are applications and GUIs that can run without linux.

>thousands of desktop environments
WM /= DE

>install MX
>all of it just works

Attached: 1524240520055.jpg (590x525, 49K)

>KDE
>Mobile feel
Do you even know what is a mobile?

Nobody use DE. Try 2bwm/fwwm.

Also you can set DPI manually.
Look at xft.dpi parameters.

if you want proper hi res scaling mac os is the only option, windows won't save you.

It's called hidpi only gnome and kde do it and the rest do not care but there are themes available thay fix the issue.

>>thousands of desktop environments
there are only 2, relevant to hidpi - qt5 and gtk3
both scale regardless of de/wm

your op reads too much like
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

1080p 22-24" 1x
1440p 30-32" 1x
4K 22-24" 2x
4K 44-48" 1x

if you bought anything other than this you have only yourself to blame

>b00mer

>tfw nobody is addressing how unnecessarily hard it is to add/pin shit to your panel/startmenu
this could have been an actually good thread topic because it's indefensible, and the neckbeards who would try to defend it would be publicly ridiculed due to how oblivious they are.

hidpi issue gives them more room to defend their shit distros because it can be deferred to
>it worx on kde and gnome

Attached: 1533850985544.png (230x219, 7K)

should also make an acronym for
>Fragmented Family of Operating Systems which use the Linux Kernel and have a decentralized development model

to quickly say that without typing it out every single time. because if you just refer to that as Linux, youll get the
> its a kernel
reply we already know. These retards also sage when they post that so its not like free bumps, it just makes them seem more knowledgeable for the newfag reading it for the first time.

You took too much game of thrones man, you took too much.

Literally a single line in your .Xdefaults will fix this

tell me which line.
i know how to edit files with nano so all i need is filepath and the line gurl. cmon tell me :3

Eclipse is very used in enterprises. If you need to do MDD is pretty much the deposit facto standard

yaaas queene! girls can Kode too!!

I use XFCE4. Settings, Appearance, Fonts, set DPI to the right value and you're done. This works fine for me on my laptop and my 3x4k desktop. I also don't have a problem adding programs to my auto-hiding taskbar, not sure why that's an issue for you. Perhaps GNU/Linux just isn't for you?

There is a related valid complaint that I do have, btw: X can't do per-display scaling. That's a bummer. It's been a problem since forever. I went 3x1440p in my previous setup for this reason and 3x4k in my current due to this. So what do you do if you want to use 3x27" with 1080p 4k 1440p in a multi-monitor setup? you're screwed on Linux because 92 DPI would be right for one monitor and 162 DPI for another. Do a value in the middle and it's still a bit too tiny on one monitor and too big on another.

Perhaps wayland will be able to do this better than X in the future - but as of last time I tried it there was no working multi-monitor support at all. It just crashed when I tried to configure it.

>Then set the resolution lower
that's a silly idea, you can easily set a DPI value

>im really not baiting
well, if it works for everyone else and not you then your'e either baiting or you're .. well, I'll let others judge.

Attached: photo.jpg (2560x1440, 968K)

>Linux will never be usable for normies.
Maybe because it's not for fucking normies reee, any of you nigtards making these threads ever consider that?

Don't use it then, nigger
If you're retarded, it's not for you

depends. my 69 year old mother uses Fedora. And she is very happy with it. She can check her e-mail and sell old furniture online and read the news. There's this Jow Forums joke about how the macbook is a "facebookmachine". I guess that's kind of accurate in her use-case. She knows she's using Linux but I doubt she could tell you specifically that it's Fedora. And it doesn't matter. It works.

I know her use-case, or use, is limited. But she's more like the average computer user than ya'all here on Jow Forums. And she's happy with Linux.

I guess I should mention that she didn't have her own computer until she was around 60 and her first experience was Linux since .. well, I had to teach her "how to use her computer" starting with the very basics anyway. So she doesn't really have a comparison with Windows, the only thing she really knows about it is that you can get The Virus and her neighbor did and she's glad she doesn't have to be afraid of The Virus.

thisnis very cute. but doesnt solve the problem of windows to linux migration, esp when its someone who uses it for work&development and:
> the UI looks like a smartphone,
>unintuitive to customize DEs (add favorites for instance) yet its one of the supposed benefits of loonix
>cant simply drag and drop to pin stuff
so the DE ends up being a major distraction which causes me to waste hours setting it up how i want it, when in windows i couldve used that time actually working/developing.

Also all my servers host windows VMs on hyper-v are windows based. Lincucks doesnt have a built in way to just do \\hostname\ on file explorer to access my file shares or a built in way to remote access via microsoft RDP. it's ridiculous how much of a slowdown linux is to my workflow. i just want to use it bc im tired of being spied on 24/7.

>Expecting software from the 90s to scale to modern display resolutions.
You only have yourself to blame. Perhaps you have slight case of retardation, even your distro choice reeks of someone that fell for the "stable" meme. Do not use server software for a desktop you fucktard.

>last stable rls is 2015
>from the 90s

so, linux itself initial release is 1991. does it mean latest linux release (2017) should behave like it did in the 90s?
stfu

Attached: xfce1.png (605x362, 144K)

They stagnated as soon as they released the first time. Hits close to home, doesn't it you immature fuck?

post a screenfetch if you use linux faggot. i wanna see how shit your work environment is

Attached: 1534360483708.gif (322x242, 923K)

What is with this influx of self described normies obsessed with retro windows xfce rices and complaining that they cannot attain them?

Budgie is good with high resolution

he won't you newfriend. it's a known fact that nobody on Jow Forums unironically uses linux distros as daily driver. they mess around with ricing to post on screenfetch threads to bait retards like yourself to waste hours in this to only eventually go back to windows because there's no better alternative. the dumbass you're replying to is probably posting from a windows machine.

help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

this is the only "just werks" distro. anything else is a complete waste of your time to try to get working as a suitable desktop pc.

Attached: only iso that werks.png (715x96, 10K)

PEBKAC

No need to faglord, just take latest plasma release screenshot and add a custom wallpaper. Boom, perfect.

best advice.
Never go full botnet Ubuntu though. Minimal is way less bloated. Though it still has that dumb appstore so you're p much using android minus google regardless of what you choose. But it's still usable just like windows 10.

you must like android UI a lot, very disgust

Attached: pepconfus.png (251x201, 8K)

>you must like android UI a lot, very disgust
I see no material theme anywhere. You talking about your riced samsung lagdroid, pajeet?

just tried it and holy fuck it didn't even let me install minimal. Amazon bloatware. Libre office bloat. Gnome is buggy as SHIT and locked mouse access not even 2min into me tryina get a classic win95 theme on. FUCK gnome, i'll try with xfce.

Attached: buggy OS.webm (1465x951, 1.34M)

that looks like a literal tablet LMAO
the absolute STATE of gnomefags, this is windows 10 tablet mode tier

Attached: 1473438997601.jpg (249x249, 20K)

look how you wiggle your mouse like a spaz. Clear case of mental disability. Sage and move on

Attached: 1473130524138.jpg (750x545, 86K)

this is actually sad :|
*opens door*
*walks out*

Oh no no no...
>OW OW OW
*WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZEEE*
>HA
>HA
>HA
>HA
>HA!!!!

Attached: reply.png (1010x705, 1.49M)

it took me straight up 1hr to install ubuntu minimal and get rid of gnome, install xfce. Then 20 painfully frustrating minutes reorganizing XFCE to look presentable. No Windows themes yet.

Attached: 1 hour.png (1457x950, 322K)

Ubuntu is much better than debian and manjaro thus far. You can actually extract archives by drag and drop onto desktop just like in windows.
i'll prob put it on my real laptop now :3

Attached: everything just werks.png (1458x950, 374K)

>using linux in any other rosolution than 1366x768
you are doing it WRONG

cerra el orto la concha de tu madre te llego a ver otra vez hablando español en Jow Forums y te cago a piñas

manjaro xfce user here
didnt even realise i couldnt drag and drop extract archives to the desktop or have any files on the desktop (im sure theres a way to do it but cba)
glad you're able to the get the a e s t h e t i c you want

Attached: gj.jpg (474x295, 23K)

>ubuntu minimal
>gnome
huh?

>ubuntu is better than debian
nope