Spend 1k on a new PC

>spend 1k on a new PC.
>install linux on it

Why?

Attached: trash.jpg (1000x1000, 36K)

to play minecraft

To program and browse the webs

Because pic related.

Attached: threadripper2990WX_linux_vs_windows.png (710x417, 38K)

>to compress my files faster

A computer is like air conditioning. As soon as you open windows it becomes useless

And everything else, too. If I were to build an expensive gorillion core computer I'd expect the operating system to not be shit at allocating system resources.

because it's mine and i can do what i want with it
why do you give a fuck?

The perf difference here is due to NUMA awareness, not core count

there's 4 pages full of varied results showing how windows sucks dick with NUMA, not just b-but it's just compression

Because I'm not a manchild that spends his life playing games. Workstations exist

Yes, which is Windows' fault.

fizzbuzz needs all the performance it can get

Because HyperV + vSwitches + WiFi = BSOD. It's been over 5 years, and they still haven't fixed it.
Proxmox/KVM doesn't have this problem.

Because AMD hackintosh is unstable.

Well it's not going to be of much use without an OS

Because it's my hardware and I do whatever I want with it.

>spend $3000+ on a server
>it comes with linux

Why would they do this?

Attached: 8nRqoXW.jpg.png (800x729, 48K)

Install clear Linux on my ryzen desktop

I've got a $200,000 cluster at work that runs RedHat. There's a really good reason it's not on Win Server.

>uses linux for servers
>uses Windows as PC
Why wouldn't anyone do this?

Because it would not be your PC otherwise. MS would have the first and final say on everything. What is the point of tech if it is not made to serve only the end-user?

Yeah, and then you install Linux so your PC can work for the Linux Foundation. Nice.

For Threadripper it's a free 30% performance boost.

It has the development tools I use, requires less work to get those tools set up, and it usually runs them faster than Windows. My Gradle and Cargo build times are considerably faster in KDE Neon than they are in Win10 (using the same machine w/ Ryzen 5 2600X + 16GB 3000MHz. Hypothetically, windows should have a slight advantage because it's running on an NVMe drive and KDE Neon is on SATA). KDE allows me to customize my desktop to my liking, and Kate is my favorite text editor.

I keep Windows around for Autodesk and MS Office. Sure, I can install Kate on Win10, and I could do everything through MSYS2, but why would I do that when I can just install Linux?

Because i don't want windows to kill my SSD.

you don't even know what Linux is, do you?

Attached: RPEI0jX.png (500x455, 60K)

>Trying to sound deep, but somehow fails...
When it's hotter outside than inside you don't want to open windows at all. Besides computer works like a heater.
>inb4 retard

Why not?... Here's a (You)

Attached: 1533987470624.jpg (480x480, 24K)

>spend 1k on a new PC.
>install windows on it
Why?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-16 g - The AMD Threadripper 2990WX is memory Bottlenecked - Technology - 4chan-o (1293x99, 7K)

>Didn't get it

Because I need a good OS.

Adobe suite, runs all games. The most ive seen linux users do is create an autist ui for their anime background while showing some gay music playing to show how cool they are. Btw my 400 dollar headphones + preamp are plugged into my 11 year old thinkpad i bought for 45 dollars

What else would I use?

you might wanna see the picrelated before a knee jerk reply

Adobe shit sucks, games are for children.

Because I use linux.
Why do you ask?

>everybody needs adobe
>there are no games for gnu/linux
Those assumptions are both wrong. Your average Joe doesn't need any of this. If you're a professional graphics designer you won't have money and time to play muh aaa games regularly anyways. The average computer use really is fine with free software only

Is that really because of shit kernel? I would think the kernel is pretty good. It's more likely due to the gigaload of bloat running + NTFS that is the problem.

Found the virgin.

Server use you fuckin faggot

>twat?

Attached: serveimageface.jpg (244x207, 7K)

>Why?
Because windows is horrendous shit.

On a personal computer?

>Because its faster hurr durr
Wow so basically.you can boot up really.fast and then stare blankly at your pedo anime wallpaper all day because no useful programs actually.work on linux

Pathetic

Installing Gentoo is the only sane option here, as the compile processes benefit from the computer's power and the software will be perfectly optimized for the potentially exotic hardware.

People who use Windows servers deserve to be hacked.

>1k
Could also be over 100 million and a supercomputer, it still likely runs Linux. Or the stock market machines that lord over billions of dollars.

Someone came here with an agenda

>spend $3000+ on a server
>it runs Windows

Why would they do this? There's no excuse to run a Windows server aside from domain controller.

My girlfriend (female) disagrees ;)

The W10 scheduler is tripe and can't handle having so many NUMA cores available. It probably works in Windows server but I haven't seen or can produce a test to confirm this.

I can't even use windows anymore. It's some kind of phisical repulsion to the shitty DE and poor performance.

>Run non-free code on your machine from companies that have proven time and time again that they do not care about your privacy
Why would anybody do this?

And to answer your question, for the same reason anyone builds a 1K computer and installs windows on it.

Thank your for your post, Ranjesh. Your continued support is noted and appreciated. 10INR have been deposited in your account.

windows runs all teh games

Attached: me pretending im a real solider.jpg (600x399, 138K)