Welp. I just installed Windows 3.1

Welp. I just installed Windows 3.1.

Attached: VirtualBox_Windows 3.1_15_08_2018_17_55_15.png (640x480, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

os2museum.com/wp/seagate-st-225-just-wow/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You used VirtualBox, the resolution is 640x480. Fuck off. You aren't special. Install it on bare metal.

shudda done like this guy and installed hackintosh.

Attached: 1534035188872.jpg (750x316, 58K)

now throw some shit on it from winworld and call it good
then go get yourself a nice pentium-66 or 486-66 and install nt 3.1 on it for dicklength

Nothing wrong with installing it in a VM. If I installed all the OSs I wanted to play around with on the bare metal, I'd run out of hard drives very quickly.

that's why you use virtualbox to choose your favorite
then install it on bare metal
THEN blogpost about it on Jow Forums

the best strategy

why

Not bad.

Attached: borulando.png (1024x768, 24K)

You are fucking stupid. Just looked up IDE Hdd and first result was a 250 GB drive. Jow Forums is a fucking cesspool of austimos

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-15 20-41-25.png (762x214, 82K)

oh shit
see if you can play simcity

a system actually built for win3.1 couldn't even use a drive like that dipshit

Got any good links where I can download it?

>mfw I was a beta tester of NT 3.1 when I was 19 and working at a little mom and pop electronics shop doing PC sales and repairs

Attached: around-snacks.jpg (600x586, 33K)

NT3.51 > 3.1

No shit? Two additional years of development made for a better OS?

must have been horrifying

install visual basic

is correct (and rude), but correct
Windows 3.1 runs on FAT16 volumes, so the maximum partition size would be 2 GB. assuming you have the maximum 4 per partition table, that'd add up to 8GB.
There's also an addressable RAM limitation, but I don't remember what it is.

It came on like 30 floppies. The labels had been printed on a dot-matrix printer.

If you run it on top of FreeDOS instead of MS-DOS it should be able to handle FAT32 and LFN.

not to mention controller limitations
(he was rude first you know)

Attached: 1523506731563.jpg (562x437, 54K)

gog.com

Good choice, Windows for Workgroups 3.11 is pure botnet.

>Install it on bare metal.
There's not really a point to unless you're willing to waste money on obscure hardware.

Attached: Untitled.png (1024x768, 254K)

This

>generic x86 beige boxes, literally made by the billions
>obscure hardware

Attached: 1532326069996.jpg (700x461, 50K)

Install Calmira

>all of them went to landfill 25-30 years ago
>so yeah, they're a bit fucking obscure now

>obscure hardware
You think you're gonna get high resolution true color on Windows 3 using a random shitbox? lol

WTF? Progman was the peak of UI. It's all been downhill since the "desktop" metaphor.

Attached: 1529984402487.jpg (640x977, 136K)

"No"

Attached: IMG_20180807_174816.jpg (2560x1920, 2.13M)

i still have my old pc that ran windows 3.1
saved it because of all the oldschool games on it

Install Win31 on them, then. Let's see how far you get without drivers, etc. user.

i did this at one point when my friend asked me to give him my old PC after I upgraded. He imaged the drive because hewas so impressed I had installed it on bare metal in 2012

haha that might be a bit more ram than you need

>get random shitbox
>slap cheap as shit ATi 3D Rage in it
>suddenly, high resolution true color on an operating system where most programs are 16 or 256 color
So hard.
The integrated soundcards are sound blaster compatible, so those work
They have PCI slots, so see above
The integrated NICs are 3Com 3c905s, so they work.
Hell, the Compaq on the left is fucking era-appropriate, even. Pentium MMX machine.
Also, 3.1 era machines can still be found in the wild. Bought this one at a random thrift store last week. Wintel boxes aren't obscure, no matter how much you want your LGR-tier gaymen box to be ultra rare and valuable.

Attached: a7f7ed4f-a5c6-47ef-9350-c6e1535b5e11.jpg (540x720, 41K)

drivers lol, check out the kid here guys

>>slap cheap as shit ATi 3D Rage in it
Aka wasting money.

Trim your fucking neckbeard when you're done playing in your VM.

>The integrated soundcards are sound blaster compatible, so those work
So young and silly. "Sound Blaster compatible" was the first hardware meme.

>They have PCI slots, so see above
I don't see the relevance here, and besides, Win31 predates PCI by quite a while.

>The integrated NICs are 3Com 3c905s, so they work.
Give it a try, and see what happens. You're in for a shock.

>Hell, the Compaq on the left is fucking era-appropriate, even. Pentium MMX machine.
Let's read that again.
>era-appropriate (to Win31)
>Pentium MMX
I laughed heartily.

>Also, 3.1 era machines can still be found in the wild.
Yes, they can. Whether they work, have drivers that can be found, or random incompatibilities that you're two decades late to even try to iron out is another thing entirely.

>Bought this one at a random thrift store last week. Wintel boxes aren't obscure,
You've demonstrated beyond any doubt that you have no fucking idea what you're talking about in your post.

>no matter how much you want your LGR-tier gaymen box to be ultra rare and valuable.
That's not even a strawman. Seriously, do you have reading comprehension issues?

Said the small child who didn't understand that the inbox drivers list in Win31 (minus printers) was about seven items long. Being stuck with 640x480x4 VGA, no sound at all (the inbox SB 1.5 driver didn't actually work with anything that wasn't an SB 1.5), and having all disk accesses routed through real mode was pure balls.

You were the one that wanted 32 bit color on 3.1, which is totally unnecessary.
>"Sound Blaster compatible" was the first hardware meme.
Standards are a meme, ok.
>I don't see the relevance here
So you can stick a 3.1 compatible VGA card in the system
>Win31 predates PCI by quite a while.
No, it does not.
>Give it a try, and see what happens. You're in for a shock.
I have used them on DOS and 3.11 with no issues before.
>I laughed heartily.
The fucking thing had a fully working install of 3.11 for Workgroups when I got it, for fuck's sake.
>Yes, they can. Whether they work...
I plugged that thing in and it fired right up. Pic related.
>You've demonstrated beyond any doubt that you have no fucking idea what you're talking about in your post.
I certainly don't. It's not like I've been collecting and repairing wintel shit, Macs, Suns and microcomputers for over a decade now. Of course your vast knowledge compiled from Wikipedia articles, LGR and /vr/ is far superior to mine.
>Seriously, do you have reading comprehension issues?
I might, but I'm certain you have Dunning-Krugger right now. At least that means you'll know your shit in a couple years, maybe when you finish puberty.

Attached: bdbb3dc7-3893-4216-95bf-92786a64caea.jpg (720x540, 44K)

everything just werked(tm) on my amstrad 386sx

also installed linux and programmed in haskell (gofer) .

Attached: 1523419754753.jpg (500x383, 46K)

I really don't like this namefag person

@67167629
That pic just made you win the argument. I'm sorry, I'm an idiot. Here, you can write this one down as a victory on your list.

It was the fastest way to say "literally EVERYTHING you have said so far has been wrong". Hopefully you've learned it's really hard to fake and LARP your way through 28 year-old shit. PCI in 1992? Pentium MMXs being "era-appropriate"? Not understanding how ropey "Sound Blaster compatibles" (especially the PCI ones) were? Not even knowing that Win31 had NO network functionality in box at all? Of course you don't know any of this shit. Because you weren't there.

You weren't pwned because I dropped a pic. You were pwned because you're a 12 year-old kid who thought he could BS his way past someone 30 years his senior.

Guess what, kiddo? You failed. Get used to it if you're going to try this sort of shit again.

Attached: 1528035758536.gif (288x198, 1.45M)

>Installing Windows 3.1
There's not really a point to unless you're willing to waste you're time on obscure OS

Got a copy of SimCity from Abandonia. The directory was too large to convert to a floppy image, so I had to manually copy all the files to the C: drive. The file extensions had their last letters changed to underscores and they were unconventional extensions at that, so I had to look up .psa, .psb, .psc, etc. on fileinfo.com to figure out what they were and then manually change them one by one. After I did all this, I clicked on the executable and it still wouldn't run, saying that I didn't have the SCWGUI.MRL file, even though I verified that said file was present in that directory. I would convert it to an ISO file, but neither DOS 6.22 nor Windows 3.1 recognizes the D: drive. Perhaps there's a driver somewhere that will rectify that, but I don't know where to look.

I'll say one thing. If I'm going to play SimCity on this thing, it's gonna take some major hacking.

Attached: VirtualBox_Windows 3.1_16_08_2018_00_49_36.png (640x480, 9K)

EXPAND.EXE

I just realized that would have made the perfect greentext story.

Okay, must be because of that then. Have your (you), I have to go to school now.

Go to a landfill and dig some out. Nobody will miss them.

Yeah if you don't want to get caught and arrested or shot.

... or just spin up a VM. Most hypervisors I've seen seem to present a Cirrus Logic-esque "video card", which should be one of the easier things to scare up a Win3.x, OS/2, whatever, driver for. Failing that, boring old VESA VBE may be a possible (but unlikely) option.

no windows 3.1 on this p200 mmx but dos/95/98

Attached: image.jpg (3264x2448, 2.28M)

What kind of bootmanager is that?

it literally says the name on the screen you fucking illiterate nigger

>Hurr durr I'm so speschel because I played Commander Keen on my 386 back in 1994

Fuck off.

give me a windows 3.1 bootable img and i'll get it on a flash drive

>being 13 years old and shitposting on WInworld's forums
stop making me feel old user

get a CF card desu. Installed one in an old 486 box, was very usable compared to original shit. Luckily this 486 box had an ethernet adapter so it could just browse my FTP shares x3 10/10 would recommend

true if only they had a nice file explorer. Progman encouraged keyboard shortcuts and alt-tabbing over clicking taskbar icons.

motherfucker i ran 3.11 on 800x600 using a goddamn diamond stealth 64, the fuck you're on about?

Nothing wrong with VM's IMO especially if you want to just try it and see what it was like and don't have the hardware. If I ever do though stumble across a computer for it I actually still have the original floppies.

To me windows' metro bullshit is like a bad reincarnation of program manager. When I first saw pictures back when 8 was coming out of it I was like "ok this is just program manager wtf"

Here we go!

Attached: P8160026.jpg (2048x1536, 764K)

yeah because win3.1 wont work on it, even win3.11

Just get a normal fucking install retard, go to archive.org or something

That's a nice looking Boot screen. Never seen it before.

>So young and silly. "Sound Blaster compatible" was the first hardware meme.
all you really need is to play PCM audio, and I can't remember ever having issues with that with other manufacturer's cards
OPL2/OPL3 playback is going to totally fucking suck, but the only time under Windows where that'd matter is MIDI playback

CF bores the shit out of me personally but yeah it would probably be a good idea for someone like OP

you could order 3.1 on OEM systems into the MMX era the same way they still shipped XP on Core 2 systems long after Vista/7 came out, shit was all fully supported even if it wasn't properly around during the heyday of it as the latest and greatest product

>not using mini.cab from the 95 install cd

Attached: 1527664158227.jpg (1021x964, 94K)

larping oldfags make me laugh so fucking much, have you seriously never heard of WFW 3.11? did you conveniently drop off of the face of the Earth just in time to miss the legions of second-generation Pentium PCI systems in 1994 that all shipped with 3.1x or its NT counterpart?

like are you just a projecting kid or one of those braindamaged nostalgic autists that doesn't remember anything but the exact piece of shit he used in his childhood and nothing more?

It wouldn’t even matter for MIDI, just any program that uses FM synth instead of midi, for example Tyrian, but I think you can make Tyrian in particular do MIDI instead of FM. Can’t remember.

am i an oldfag yet?

Attached: 2.gif (888x648, 276K)

Yes. You are the oldest faggot on this website. Congratulations. What are you going to do first?

Pic related is no sarc - this level of trolling is exceptional. Consider the following:

>conflating Windows 3.1 (which was what was under discussion) with WFW (or even Windows 95)
They're as different as Windows 95 and 98 internally. A lot of the ideas for Windows 95 (full bypass of DOS for disk access, own dynamic caching subsystem, the client-grade networking, etc.) had their first run on Windows for Workgroups. Either way, WFW appeared in 1993, was pricier than bog-standard 3.1, and offered little on the user level to be worth the upgrade - in fact, it broke some things ("This program requires Windows 3.1 or higher). Most deployments of WFW were either pre-installed, or site-licensed - very few private users actually bought it.

>conflating Pentium MMX (which was what was under discussion) with first-run Pentiums
This speaks for itself, and sets the general tone of your post - you've slid every milestone back a couple of years, and hoped nobody would notice. You failed.

>suggesting Pentiums were a big thing in the timeframe under discussion
Everyone wanted a Pentium in 1994, but very few had one. They were new, expensive as shit, ran smokin' hot, and 486DX-4s provided almost the same performance on mid-90s workloads. Never underestimate the effect the FDIV bug had on consumer confidence either, which chased a lot of people onto fast 486s too. It was only later (1995-1996), when the 3.3v P54C appeared, that they got a good head of steam. But by then, they were running Windows 95, NT 3.x (as you mentioned), or possibly OS/2.

(cont'd)

Attached: 1517418884536.png (1597x1600, 627K)

(cont'd from )
That's not to say that the P5 wasn't an incredible achievement: it was the first salvo Intel fired in a war that would ultimately result in the destruction of RISC as a force in consumer computing. It brought PCI to the masses (destroying VLB in the process, as it started to appear on 486 motherboards). Why would you buy a $15,000 Indy (or whatever) when a $4,000-$5,000 Pentium offered 80% of the performance (though vendor lock-in could be a factor)? But the decisive battles were reserved for the P6 and Itanium generations.

>PCI
Is a McGuffin, as previously mentioned - and certainly wasn't a concern in 1992, when Windows 3.1 dropped. Remember the era - all Ring 0, nothing stopping you tapping the hardware directly. So we did - we just built the code to talk PCI directly into the driver. We didn't need no stinking OS support (and technically don't need it now - it's just more difficult with HALs and the like in the way).

>a string of reading comprehension issues, strawmen, projection, and ad hominem
These parts, I can't help you with. Maybe a professional psychologist?

Not everyone is a horder, user.

what the fuck does any of this bullshit rambling have to do with anything I've said to you? seriously shut the fuck up and stop posting

Imagine being this wikilliterate that you become actually illiterate as well.

People who bitch about hardware availability are usually lazy casuals/shut-ins who don't know how to talk to people though.

Here's the problem. The Windows 3.x era was in the early days when it was commonplace to use blue barrel batteries which often leaked and destroyed motherboards.

I think of the 30 or so 3.x systems I've pulled over the years only a handful of them have been rendered unbootable by a leaky battery. Depends on where you live I guess.

Neat.
Can you play fury3 vidya now?

Early 90s I meant.

Attached: 1523319757111.png (1076x1024, 258K)

Agreed. And quite apart from catastrophic failures such as this, "little" things like mechanical failure from having a card in a slot for 20 years, dying hard disks - try finding a working

Attached: 1517189740695.jpg (125x62, 2K)

Do you live in a humid climate or something? I've got tons of perfectly fine sub-500MB disks.
Fuck, the pair of ST-412s in my 5161 are turning 34 this year.

now learn x86 assembly

Indeed I do (Queensland, Australia). But bear in mind that those early Seagate drives were utterly invincible - loads of them are still doing good work in retroboxen. An ST-225 recently turned up at OS/2 Museum - and after a reformat to tidy up the tracks, worked perfectly: os2museum.com/wp/seagate-st-225-just-wow/

>Welp. I just installed Windows 3.1.
We're stilling running 3 machines at work on 3.1
The program we are running on them isn't updated for anything newer, and we can't afford to redevelop the program for a modern OS.

Though at some point we'll run out of spare parts, we had 6 of these things running when I started in 2007. Now we're down to 3 working and 2 chassis with some assorted spare parts.

Humidity and bad caps are the main killer of electronics. From what I've seen on VCFED, when someone finds a computer in poor condition it was often not stored very well, like it was left in a garage or shed and exposed to mice and extreme heat and cold.

What Youtube comment section was this pasted from?

They were pretty good quality for sure. I actually think one of mine is an FH Miniscribe now that I think back on it...

It's pretty hot and dry here and I never really took the concerns about old disks failing that seriously just going off of personal experience, it happens sometimes but very rarely. I always wondered if it was just more of a climate thing.

It probably is pasta. I mean, he didn't bother explaining exactly what this program was, what machines it runs on, or what "spare parts" it uses.