Analysis A flash price crash is coming and should increase disk cannibalization rates as SSDs become more affordable

theregister.co.uk/2018/08/13/flash_oversupply_analysis/
>Analysis A flash price crash is coming and should increase disk cannibalization rates as SSDs become more affordable.
>Now let’s apply Jim Handy’s predicted flash price drop of 75 per cent to these enterprise SSD prices. That then gives us $0.14/GB to $0.15/GB for enterprise SSD prices, giving us a post-price drop enterprise SSD premium of 3.8x to 4.1x our $0.0365 figure, which is still below Marks’ 5x threshold.

What do you think about this SSD oversupply? Prices can go down 50-70% by the end of year. If this is the case I'm going to upgrade my hdd's to ssd's.

Attached: ssd.png (720x752, 251K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-Internal-MZ-76E500B-AM/dp/B0781Z7Y3S
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8TK78R3886&cm_re=Micron_1100_2TB-_-1Z4-00CB-00013-_-Product
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Already upgraded all of my machines to SSD's years ago. HDD's are only for mass storage - for the next year or so.

Attached: 2018-08-15 21_25_41-_g_ - https___www.theregister.co.uk_2018_08_13_flash_ove - Technology - 4chan - (2048x1398, 515K)

Are these the same kind of """"""""""analysts"""""""" that continually predict the next generation of consoles will "have twice as many frames as PC"

If you have noticed there has been a ton of different ssd sales lately.

If you've been watching SSD prices over the last 3 years you would have noticed a decline in price.
I remember a few years ago a 1TB SSD would cost 400-500USD
Now you can grab a 1TB SSD for around 200USD, even lower when on sale.

And the prices continue to drop as we speak, I'm not sure how long this will go on but the prices are getting really good.
You could grab a 500GB SSD for around 100USD.
amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-Internal-MZ-76E500B-AM/dp/B0781Z7Y3S

Yep SSD prices should come more reasonable finally. 1 TB should be like 100€.

I was asking about the analysts though

I wouldn't trust anyone but yourself for this kinda stuff. Just watch the prices yourself, especially if you want a SSD with large storage.
50%-70% drop in price? Not until later next year at least if you look at the current price trend of SSD's.

Thinking you have some special knowledge because you google SSD prices sometimes is pretty dumb too.

I think there is truth what he says. Not that high drop in prices but there is going to be drop.

How about we get a drop in CPU and GPU prices for fucks sake they are out of control.

I think they're already reasonable.

When I was in high school people would buy 64GiB SSDs as their main OS drive. /boomer

Replaced my 120G OCZ Vertex 3 with 500G 860 just last month, all that for under $100. Feels good.

>top tier CPU for $300-ish
>mid range but still great options for half that
What the fuck more do you want

Attached: 41N0skoNQBL._SX300_QL70_.jpg (300x262, 11K)

Praise the Chinese!

>disk cannibalization rates

What does that even mean? Cannibalisation refers to eating members of one's own species. It has no relevance to SSDs.

Attached: fb499a52b19eedc4fa1646d539f522f423f8d08b.jpg (788x916, 466K)

>Prices can go down 50-70%
That is guaranteed.

>by the end of year.
Probably too soon.

SSD prices have been steadily declining, by about ~20%-30% average, since 2010. If the trends holds (and it should), then we can see SSDs at half the current price, by next year. This year, you might be able to catch some steep discounts during the BF/CM or Christmas sales.

Oh, and with the way things are going, SSD price should reach HDD parity within ~3 years. RIP, HDDs.

I want it for free goddamnit. At the most, a top end computer should be $500. Economies of scale should be driving things to this price point. Especially with everyone owning a pc these days.

Attached: DALIN.png (889x977, 490K)

People said the same thing about RAM prices.

Attached: wth.png (203x209, 14K)

neck yourself commie

Attached: DjP9ypKUcAASqEN.jpg (1200x675, 56K)

ohhh
so that explains these

Attached: 20.png (838x652, 75K)

Those are probably off brand, low quality chinkshit "SSDs" that have single 16gb flash drives inside them.

Attached: 19EC69FE03034E81B5B63C617E0CEAE9.png (640x640, 575K)

samsung 850 evo 250gb is still the same price as 3 years ago when I bought it
please tell me about price drop

It's not a free market you fuck it's a crony duopoly.

Communism is the system we need, but not the one we deserve. One day, everyone will have everything they could ever need or want. That's true communism. But the technology isn't there yet.

>he fell for the ssd meme

Want and suffering are the drivers of progress and innovation. True communism is complete stagnation and the worst evil possible, and thankfully incompatible with human biology.
"Free market" capitalism, which is neither, is a bad system by virtue of enabling sociopaths to rise to the top, where they then promote communism.
Because the society created by attempting true communism is the perfect foundation for a sociopath's ideal world.

I'm an old man and back when I paid attention to tech and ssds were being released, they didn't have as long of a lifespan as hdds. Less reads/writes. What's changed since then?

>literally just bought my SSD
just kill me now

Turns out they are reliable as fuck.

The idea that the mysteries of science are infinite is just jingoism. One day, science will be finished. Then there's no reason we cannot all enjoy anything we want, provided by 3d printers, virtual reality, and robots.

Attached: 7evq3a12o2w01.png (1920x1080, 549K)

SSDs have been declining in price for a long time, back when I bought my first SSD, a Samsung 830 256gb back in a 2011 prices on sales were a dollar per gig, nowadays Samsung's prices are like 30 cents a gig and other brands are like 20-25 cents a gig meanwhile HDDs are like 2-3 cents a gig. SSDs have come a long way but they still aren't and probably won't ever be as cost effective as HDDs.

>implying whatever vestiges of life make it won't be freaking out about heat death constantly as it looms
>implying resources aren't inherently finite and scarce
>implying science hasn't been declared "finished" many times over before being shown to woefully incomplete every time

What a fantasy land you live in user. I envy your simplicity.

"Fun" and "Enjoyment" are byproducts of the biological subsystems that power human survival instinct, and in order to stop a world like that from breaking down, animalistic instinct as a whole pretty much needs to go.
Ignoring the absurdity of everything else.

>I'm going to upgrade my hdd's to ssd's
Same probably, will just use the HDDs for backup and cold storage.

>implying science hasn't been declared "finished" many times over before being shown to woefully incomplete every time
Why should the laws of physics dictate that anything is technologically achievable?

That was my point...
But beyond that, simply that we will never achieve a universal theory of everything that is all inclusive and completely provable.

Oops haha, take care bud

>we will never achieve a universal theory of everything that is all inclusive and completely provable
OP is a faggot.

math isn't even logically consistent and complete
and it is provable that it can't be both.

I'll finally be able to start replacing my HDDs with SSDs. 2TB ssds for 200$? Fuck yeah, sign me the fuck up.

>kingston
>pny
>sandisk
no, kiddo, it's just cheap low endurance TLC NAND, and QLC will be what makes the next round even cheaper. It's shit for sustained write throughput but for average consumers it will be fine.

Figure on $100/TB but it'll be strictly consumer-grade stuff.

Prove to me that OP is not a faggot.

You can't prove a negative user

That being said, whoever said OP wasn't a faggot?

Get your head on straight user, we're talking math, science, logic. Not anything crazy like the faggotry that is OP

That OP is a faggot is a universal truth that is self evident.

Get your facts straight.

I was agreeing with you, but well said user. Well said.

maybe it means like the disk just wearing out over time

120GB SSD for 25$
microcenter also has 250GB HDDs for like 10$
SSDFAGS BTFO

Attached: 1522557924021.jpg (1801x1339, 801K)

Apparently, SSDs have sectors that get shut down over time.

Enjoy that slow waste of space and power.

ive tried using an SSD before and it wasnt even that much faster than a hard drive. besides it was only 250GB and costed as much as my 4TB hard drive

Depends on the workload. Play a few games that load in large textures etc and it makes a big difference. Bootup time is faster if you do that often. But in general use you are correct. I don't feel any apps load any faster overall. Mainly that is due to shitty developers though. Firefox is stilla pig to load from scratch for instance. Also general Windows bloat and operation are the main cause of slow PC's.

>a hundred bucks a terabyte
get that down to HDD levels ($20-$20/TB) and we'll talk

A 75% drop in flash price just means a nice increase for profit margins, you won't see drives drop more than 20%

We will though. Eventually all things will be known.

economic of scale on items that stop being made after 3 years made by less than a handful of corps.

you should kill yourself for spouting memes

Not really. Even in this world would have several PhDs worth of knowledge, thanks to advanced education systems. Everyone would know how to fix their stuff. Virtual reality allows people to indulge in the delights of murder and rape without hurting anyone.

Some of those drives are MLC

Exactly, the only real price drops will be in vague chinese brands you can only buy of aliexpress.

Should I buy a 256gb SSD over a 240gb one? Apparently the latter uses the extra space for overprovisioning, but I'm not sure why then does 256gb SSDs exist.

All(?) modern SSDs have overprovisioning, I think.

It seems to me you were born in 1995 or earlier, so in fact you are part of gen Z aka a zoomer.

You want communism just go to Kuba or Venezuela
Now fuck off you economic illiterate

They're basically the same size. They're intentionally being vague about what "Gigabyte" means for marketing. The only weird sizes I've seen so far are from Crucial with shit like 275 GB and 525 GB.

forgot pic

Attached: Screenshot_20180816_171633.png (635x175, 7K)

I don't want it now. I want it when society is truly ready for it, like in Star Trek.

>THE *EXACT* KIND OF COMMUNISM IS THIS ONE
Every single time lmao

My kind is the best kind.

Should I buy a new entry level SSD, or an older enterprise one?
I could buy a Gigabyte UD Pro or a Micron M600, both at about same price and same capacity 256gb
UD Pro
>new toshiba 3d tlc
>3 year warranty
Micron M600
>faster
>higher cache (512mb vs 256mb)
>micron mlc nand
I'm going for the Micron originally since benchmarks show its faster, but that new Gigabyte is tempting, new enough that tom's hardware review only came out two days ago.
That review seems to be shitting on it for being overpriced in comparison to samsung evos or crucial mx's, but I can get the gigabyte for a much lower price, 45 dollars.

Attached: 69a1130c24f0f173aa60cc2b7b08b8d6628648d7.jpg (683x944, 59K)

Well the 970 evo is about ten dollars more for a really big increase in performance so

The analysts involved are economists worried about profits and not some vidya enthusiasts

You mean /millennial

fuck you zoomer. people paid for burned CDs when I was in high school.

this is the single best comment i read on this site in quite a while

yup, and look at how cheap ddr3 is now :^)

Handy is a very, very respectable dude.

Yep, black friday going to have great sales.

Would be nice. Most of my storage resides in my NAS which is obviously HDD-based but I still have an old 1TB HDD in my desktop. If SSDs drop that much I'd probably get a 1TB or 2TB model to go full SSD.

This. SSDs are already dirt cheap compared to earlier ages. I bought a 256 GB SSD for 179 € in 2012, while I bought a whole Terabyte for 200 in 2016 (When there was a short price low point). Now you get TB for under 200.

I wish SSDs were affordable for mass storage. I would love a QLC ~20 TB. I could get rid of my movie HDDs and put the movies on it. Low write cycles don't matter since its mainly a read only drive.

What shitty 2tb refurb drives are you buying for 40$?

B-b-b-but muh free market!

You can get 2 TB HDDs for 20 €, but they are used and old. Sometimes you get server grade HDDs but these are loud as fuck. I would go for a single high TB count instead. We live in times where you get 6 TB or 12 TB drives for the same price/performance ratio.

The ps3 was actually stronger gaming machine than pc at launch

kek the PC was launched in like the 1980s

There was a crucial BX500 for 69 here recently. Didn't buy it because I want M.2, not 2,5".

Yesterday I ordered an 970 Evo 500GB for 139. Feel like I may should have waited now.

Attached: 1428192055573.png (283x234, 142K)

ssds are a meme
real disks have wheels in them

Yes, and you will still use wheels when the rest of the civilization starts flying.

>that fucking pic
glorious

Attached: 1529984195752.jpg (400x392, 42K)

3TB HGST refurbs on Newegg for $60

There are 2TB SSDs for $280 currently.
DRAM cache is small in comparison to a 860 EVO though.

>buying used or refurbished drives and having any expectation of not losing your data

Attached: 1502168054766.jpg (255x220, 7K)

Why you want m.2 instead of 2.5''? Are you transferring very large files or what is the reason?

Drives die, and you have to plan for that whether you buy new drives or used drives. Since you have to use redundancy and make backups it anyway for any data you care about keeping, you might as well save the money.

I have a half-dozen of those HGST refurbs in a ZFS array. They've been there two years and have given me no trouble. (the pool is scrubbed weekly) I've saved enough money that even if one of them were to die (or become flaky enough to need preemptive replacement) that I could buy another and still be ahead on cost, compared to new drives.

>There are 2TB SSDs for $280 currently.
link? please I am interested

If I can grab a 1TB SSD for $50 I'm gonna buy 10 of them and put them in RAID0. I have nothing to loose.

>1TB SSD for $200
what company?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8TK78R3886&cm_re=Micron_1100_2TB-_-1Z4-00CB-00013-_-Product

860 EVO is currently $190 for 1TB.

>Micron
Should I trust it?

Its good, the reason why its so cheap its because its a OEM SSD and the DRAM cache it uses is small in comparison to its size.

Shut up shaderfetish