Discord

Does the Discord web client scan your computer or anything, or is that just the desktop program?

>inb4 >web client
I don't play video games or voice chat, text chat is all I want.

Thanks in a van.

Attached: cosrisd.jpg (1000x563, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

browserleaks.com
bitbucket.org/henesy/disco
thehackernews.com/2018/03/amd-processor-vulnerabilities.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It scans running programs I think. WMI keeps giving error everytime.

It can do that from the webclient?
Yikes. Any way to disable?
Thanks.

yes it scans your computer. yes it logs it on their servers. yes it sells it to data brokers. what else do you want to know?

Attached: 1517751769201.png (1200x800, 74K)

who says?

How can a fucking javascript scan anything external from the browser

With Electron, anything is possible.

web client is sandboxed by browser, it requires the desktop client to actually scan your running programs and shit.

Dude, JavaScript can mine crypto and exploit Spectre/Meltdown. I’m pretty sure it can do anything.

Which I guess is precisely the problem with JS in general. It’s too powerful and turns the web away from what it originally was intended to be: a series of linked-together Hypertext Markup Language documents, containing simple images, text, and a few style options.

it has nothing to do with electron user

>exploit Spectre/Meltdown
WHAT THE FUCK? Patch that shit browserdevs, just delete the fucking functionality to read raw memory data

Yeah it’s fucked
And as far as the scanning, use this site and be amazed/horrified
browserleaks.com

>I don't play video games or voice chat
why the fuck would you want the 'gamer chat client!!!!!' then?
just stick with irc

A web page cannot scan your process list.

>Thanks in a van.
You're welcome in a bus.

IRC is still the best.

IRC has built-in a serious security vulnerability: Showing your IP address to everyone publicly

Except no modern IRC server displays your actual IP, unless the admins are retarded.

It's called a public IP address for a reason.

Hostname can be resolved to the IP

Every modern internet company.

>Being this retarded about IRC

The IP is usually literally in the hostname unless there's something doing reverse DNS for it, which would imply a commercial server. Cuz not many people have reverse DNS on their home system.

read the terms and agreements, it literally says

It's ISP dependant. Mine obfuscates the hostname by default so it doesn't include the IP in plain form.

tfw using an AMD CPU and used retpoline in the linux kernel and i dont have to worry about any of that shit

Just use bitbucket.org/henesy/disco

>Hostname can be resolved to the IP
No, you idiot, halfway decent IRC networks will basically hash the IP and use that as a hostname. Nobody but IRC admins can actually turn it back into an IP, but it still works for the purposes of banning.
I'm connected to one via IPv6, and it displays the first 8 digits normally, but then everything after that is scrambled.

Freenode doesn't do that

is this a FOSS discord client that will also work on linux?

Neither does dalnet or efnet from what I can tell

>Thanks in a van

You have to worry about a lot of it. It isn't like AMD uses a different architecture or anything. They still use Intel's x86 garbage.

common sense

spectre isnt an issue on AMD because their processors dont use speculative loading of things. also meltdown is something that can be easily fixed by using a retpoline compiler(which linux has by default)

How does that contradict what I said?

>IRC has built-in a serious security vulnerability: Showing your IP address to everyone publicly

How fucking stupid are you? Learn to hostmask if you are that scared.

because AMD isnt suspectible to spectre and meltdown can simply be fixed by software updates

Oh, you think it is limited to that. Hmmm.

This is why no one uses IRC.

are you implying something here?

If you have to ask it isn't worth answering.

This. Nobody wants to have to set shit like this up.
>hey this thing is incredibly flawed
>that’s ok just configure a bunch of shit ranging from minor config edits to setting up separate full-blown services

Meanwhile Discord has everything working right out of the box.

i know about all the intel ME and and PSP backdoors in the processors already if thats what youre referring to

No, it isn't.

well so is it worse than what i thought then? can you explain?

thehackernews.com/2018/03/amd-processor-vulnerabilities.html

It can't unless they're using exploits, which a company like discord probably doesn't. Don't listen to these people, they're probably html coders

>Discovered by a team of researchers at israel-based CTS-Labs
>israel-based
hmm

Whoops, I thought I was on Jow Forums. My bad.

so its talking about "attackers", but what kind of attackers does the average Jow Forums autist even need to worry about?

I think that's totally irrelevant.

It works on any OS with golang

but is it FOSS

It's not Free Software by default, since there is no license anywhere in the source.

It also doesn't solve the problem of everything you write, say and do in Discord being logged and used by them, their business partners and whoever gets in through the door in the back.

Nor the issue that every person in creates more social pressure to keep people in, decreasing security, privacy and freedom to everyone.

What about using the discord plugin for pidgin?

This, but in reverse: Intel has Meltdown, AMD has not, but it was fixed in the Linux kernel.
Spectre affects both (not using speculative execution nowadays is not practical), but was (afaik partially) fixed with a with Retpoline compiled kernel.

Attached: DRhUueZWkAAmx6o.jpg (1536x2048, 416K)

>Not automatically masking your users hostname to users.[domain]

Attached: 1514820593215.jpg (900x563, 156K)

And it scans your running applications and files. There's a reason why c&c centers run through IRC. Hostnames are masked already 99% of the time.

It's okay, my first wife was tarded.

>FROM THE WEB CLIENT
fucking retard
mining crypto is just doing math, nothing similar to reading files.
cool site, still can't read files.
>being this retarded
yep., If they were using spectre/meltdown to scan users files I'm pretty sure they'd be developing the program in something better than CSS and HTML...

The web client can't do that much, but it could access your files. You can just disable this permission in the browser globally and I believe every browser prompts you before accessing files so you have nothing to worry about.

>FROM THE WEB CLIENT
>fucking retard
Electron is just a browser, you know.