/spg/ - Smartphone General

Pixel 3 & 3 XL Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous Thread

Attached: 1532885996025.jpg (680x453, 223K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software
blokada.org/index.html
androidbeat.com/2018/02/redmi-note-5-pro-faq/
youtu.be/hMf-qjmALAM
youtu.be/LuIsBWcL6z8
gsmarena.com/so_whats_up_with_the_xiaomi_mi_8_benchmark_scores-news-31992.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Buy a Redmi Note 5

>notch
>huge chin
>gesture bar as big as navbar
>gesture less intuitive than navbar
Google is a joke

Friendly reminder:
Those frequency check websites fail to take into account that some EU based cell operators are rolling out support for band 1. This means that those chinkphones now have an additional band to work with in an EU country. You can see this in effect by looking for the LTE+ symbol and using LTE Discovery to see which LTE band you're on.

:^)

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-16-02-53-24-847_net.simplyadvanced.ltediscovery.png (1080x2160, 203K)

Hey Jow Forums, just got a new phone.

Recommend a non-botnet list of apps to use.

So far I have installed 2GIS(for navigation) and NewPipe (youtube).

Please help, thanks !

Clover

Facebook

Buy nokia 6.1
Ymusic is better for youtube music stream

applechads win again

messenger

>Buy nokia 6.1
A real shame about the locked bootloaders.

Just comfy waiting for mi mix 3 announcement
>inb4 chink botnet

S9+ master race, where you at!?

Why is Honor note 10 so fucking expensive?

I woke up in bed fapping to Widowmaker today with my new RN5

Attached: caSruUPIafoFvGh-800x450-noPad.jpg (800x450, 43K)

Just switched to android, what are the best apps for messaging, gallery, music etc? Are these still relevant?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

It's stock android so it doesn't bother me, only reason i unlocked bootloader and put roms on my old rn3 because of bloatware and horendous looking MiUI

whats so bad about Redmi Note 5?

Tangentially related question:
are homescreen breads allowed on Jow Forums?

Washed up looking colours, faggy looking 18:9 ratio, bad build quality, no gorilla glass, no type c, MIUI

Name a more sensible choice than the RN5:
>decent screen, won't burn in you like OLEDs
>great battery life, no thirsty gaymen processor
>big memory and good enough storage
>good pajeet ROM support
>SD Card and headphone jack
>pretty goddamn cheap
Literally the Jow Forums phone

Attached: unnamed.jpg (384x384, 32K)

>bricks itself if you try to reinstall stock OS

the times this phone gets shilled here i'm going to end up getting one even though i already have two phones i'm happy with. why is this phone so good anyway, isn't it a cheap chinkphone? is it easy to put a custom rom on it?

4 months and the tiny notification icons still slightly bother me

Attached: Screenshot_20180816-132539.jpg (1080x2240, 623K)

no nfc

100-150 usd
T-Mobile
Android
=2G ram
Removable or serviceable battery

>Chinese botnet

waiting for the redmi note 6

Moto E4

>not loaded with chicom spyware
>no need to bother with pajeet roms

Attached: Nokia-7-Plus-6-0-Inch-6GB-64GB-Smartphone-Black-572100-.jpg (1000x1000, 96K)

I'm thinking about getting this, is it worth it?

Not if you know what you're doing

Smartphones are tracking devices by definition.

The only decent alternative, but I really don't like Nokia.

I have one. The screen has a yellow tint and apparently its an issue on a lot of them. It's driving me nuts.

well fug, thats pretty much a deal breaker for me. the reviews of it don't even mention it

I've been looking around trying to find a solution and found this image. No idea if its bullshit. Pity it's winter down here, Australian sun in summer would be the perfect test for it.

Attached: 5b375e585b920_Nokia7plus2.PNG.734f4e31d803c76bd70adf7680a22d0a.png (994x622, 147K)

>locked bootloader

For me, it's the Essential.

DONE

I'll look into that

It came with those 2 pre-installed.

So whats the Thinkpad of Smartphones? Besides 20 Years old Nokia)

Attached: Lenovo X220 Tablet outside 2.jpg (500x281, 77K)

Imagine making fun of the iphone a few years ago, only to create and embarrassment of an iPhone clone two years later. Good job Google.

My one looks fine.
Yep it's pretty good.

>Lower pixel density
400 ish ppi is enough, i doubt you'll notice the difference

>S5 cam better than redmi note 5
More MP is not always better, Redmi Note 5 camera is better (techtablets yt even said Redmi Note 5 camera is almost comparable to S7)

>Video
Dont really know about this, watch techtablet's redmi note 5 review

>S5 camera, and GPU is better than redmi note 5
Nope, SD 636 is definitely better than SD 801 or whatever Exynos on Galaxy S5, more battery efficient + with 4000 mah you will get 2 days of usage

Does BlackBerry KeyTwo have any advantage over KeyOne? Support fellow user with a link at good review.

It's the best value right now, easy to put custom rom on it, and a lot of custom roms are available (even android pie)

Gigantic, No usb c, MIUI, No NFC

If only the bootloader is unlockable

Literally why google? Nexus line are great, the previous android are great, but NOPE lets kill nexus, make expensive iphone clone, and make the UI ALL WHITE (want to clone iOS too?)

I already bought it yesterday god dammit now im waiting 7 days for it to come in

There is none, smartphones all suck. I'd say Nokia is still the closest you can get with the new models though, despite not being rootable.

YouTube Vanced Is better.

What's a small smartphone with a nice camera (the one on the back, the one for taking selfies is irrelevant)?
I basically use my phone only for instant messages and emails, shitposting and taking pictures.

I bought a pixel 1 for 660$ at a verizon retailer
Im really debating returning it in the two weeks I can and then buying a pixel 1 xl somewhere else to bring in.

Ideas?

samsung s9 vs huawei p20/10
whats the better choice

iPhone SE/6S/7/8, Sony XZ1 Compact, XZ2 Compact, Pixel, Pixel 2

s9

>pixel 1 for 660$
What? The original Pixel from 2016?

>A
>Fucking
>Notch

I'll just stick to my Pixel XL for now

U got scammed

Bought it for my wife and it started getting touch problems and software bugs only after a week of use

Yeah came with android 7.1 on it. I think ill return it regardless for the Xl and because of the price, but I don't know where to get one new.

The sony ones look nice. Any review of these (well, anything beyond the usual "it feels good in the hand and comes in a lot of colors" paid shill types)?

Is the LG G6 still a good phone? 305€ for a new one on Amazon seems like a reasonable price for a 2017 flagship.

Attached: lg g6.jpg (500x500, 23K)

You got scammed by Verizon if you paid $660. You can get the same phone new for $300 off Amazon. The Pixel 2 retail price is $649 but you can often get it even cheaper than that (currently $500 from Best Buy with payments).

I mean the XZ1 compact. The XZ2 has no headphone jack port so I'd rather consider the other one.

Blokada v3 blokada.org/index.html

hello
i need help for a new smartphone
i would like a cheap phone
5" or less screen
lineage os compatible
android 4.4 and above
nfc
dont care about camera
can watch videos at 720p without lagging
bonus for dual sim

I'd say Sony XZ1 or XZ1 Compact would be better for around the same price. Newer SoC, better update support, stock Android instead of a skin.

Haha wtf.

And which "Verizon retailer" was this? Some dude in a gas station parking lot with a van that had "Verizon" spray painted on it?

Is it a question of money?
Then go for what's cheaper
Is it not?
Get the shit you would feel better with
I'll go with huawei personally

I looked for a Dual-SIM Smartphone for max. 300€ that supports Android One and now have to decide between the Nokia 6.1 (Plus) or the Xiaomi Mi A2. On paper the Mi A2 sounds better and also is cheaper but I kinda don't trust a chinese manufacturer. Is that valid and I should pick the Nokia or should I just get the Xiaomi?

Attached: TheNewNokia6_hero-phone-optimised.png (373x800, 81K)

I'm not too stressed out over it because I'm not poor but I just realized I don't really need a $600 smartphone since I usually just bring my laptop everywhere...

Huh... oh welll.

Nokia has headphone jack, NFC and MicroSD slot, Mi A2 doesn't. If that's something you need, go with the Nokia, otherwise Mi A2 is better (faster SoC, better cameras).

HTC HD2

>Washed up looking colours
Seemed like it coming from an AMOLED display. It isn't, unless the device is defective. It can be further controlled with Kernel Adiutor.
>faggy looking 18:9 ratio
Faggy? This is your criticism, really?
>bad build quality
Source? Of course not, just the same as the lie about no gorilla glass.
androidbeat.com/2018/02/redmi-note-5-pro-faq/
youtu.be/hMf-qjmALAM
youtu.be/LuIsBWcL6z8
>no type c
For what possible purpose? Reversible USB cables exist and the device charges a 4000 mAh battery in under two hours, whereas USB C cables aren't even close to being standardized, forget ports.
>MIUI
Really? For a device known for its good custom ROM support?

>I bought a pixel 1 for 660$ at a verizon retailer
Jesus... Almost 700 dollars for a device from 2016. I thought this was a technology board. Be careful if he tries to sell you a bridge next.

The Indians

I just changed last month from my old note 3 and I really like mine but I fucking hate the curved edge when it comes to using tempered glass like god damn. I also have the blue Zizo bolt case which helps in tearing it off.

Attached: 71xLJn6UGjL._SX569_.jpg (569x569, 51K)

Galaxy s9 or oneplus 6
I have an s7 now but really hate the OS so don't know if I want another samsung phone.

OP6

What's a good reason not to get the Mi 8?

Someone mentioned overheating issues, I have one but I'm not sure how hot it should be to be considered overheating

No micro SD card slot, no 3.5mm jack and a 3400 mAh for a 6.2" screen. I just don't understand what they were thinking with this. Maybe their expansion into Europe will teach them not to arbitrarily exclude inexpensive and standardized ports/slots on flagships of all devices.

>no NFC
Not everyone pays with cash like a caveman...

Am I the only one who unironically likes the notch? This is like the Apple of Android phones. Made by rich American company with superb build quality and zero bloat.

I call it the bathtub...

Attached: 1f6c1.png (512x512, 13K)

During general usage (browsing, watching YouTube, light multi-tasking, etc.) - how high the temperatures of the SoC and battery rise to on average? Shouldn't be above 37°C at the most.
You may have gotten a defective unit. Return it.

???

The notch in some phones is shaped like a literal bathtub.

Average seems to be 30-32°C at the moment while playing a light game, I'll play some of my heavier ones and see how high it gets.

You mean a rounded trapezoid?

I hate the pixel notch. I would have bought it if they had an Essential-like notch where it just surrounds the camera.

Why? Does the middle part of the top bar of the phone ever have useful information on it? That's just the bar where the time/battery/signal strength go. It makes the phone feel more vivid and dynamic as it integrates with the hardware (by having hardware cover up what is almost always blank space), instead of being completely distinct from the hardware part.

Yeah, I hate notches in general but I would've gone for the Essential style notch as well...

Attached: Notch.jpg (640x496, 12K)

Soooooon™

Attached: 2018-08-10 19_27_12.png (960x336, 35K)

It's not overheating, it's throttling
gsmarena.com/so_whats_up_with_the_xiaomi_mi_8_benchmark_scores-news-31992.php

Not him but I loved seeing a small preview of messages at the top of my screen whenever new messages came in. I had to download a third party app to do something similar with my current notched phone.

That's surprising. I expected it to be comparable to the S5 and its CPU reaching almost 40°C while browsing and multi-tasking. And that's for how many minutes of playing?

I'll have a look at this later, thanks.

Something like 10 minutes I think, it was a very light game. After something like 10 minutes of PUBG on high settings it is now 36°C.

Aren't octocores better than quadcores?

Just download fdroid app store and download all your apps from there. All the apps on it are open source so pretty much assures no botnet.

Being octacore doesn't make a SoC automatically better. Snapdragon 821 is much faster than a Snapdragon 625, but the former is quadcore and the latter octacore. This is because 625 is using low performance cores whereas the 821 is using high performance cores.

what about 801 quad vs 636 octocore, which is what the guy was debating