/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

also video, DIY, and home theater discussion

Attached: 4344-94-1l.jpg (5616x3744, 2.15M)

Other urls found in this thread:

mhdtlab.com/Istanbul.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=QluXqntXCoM
youtube.com/watch?v=MuuOgT0XBK0
youtube.com/watch?v=9R7fuNzeBXU
youtube.com/watch?v=sZn9alsmSNE
youtube.com/watch?v=P6be-2J2N8k
youtu.be/Ja9BJn0lMxI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So I drank the objectivist coolaid forever with this hobby. Previous main dac was a topping d30.

Recently, just decided to say fuck it and go with an old school r2r NOS dac. pcm61p-k chips currently installed but it's the same model. Bought it used. mhdtlab.com/Istanbul.htm

It sounds much better than my topping d30. My amp has a 50k input impedence and I'm using a passive preamp. It's not the output impedance of the dacs making the difference. I can test both and compare having them both hooked up through an optical splitter.

No, it doesn't sound "tubey" or super warm compared to the topping. Not a hint of bass bloat or rolled off highs. Resolution is absolutely excellent. This is where I think it gets weird when I describe why it's better.

The timing, soundstage and imaging. Yeah, timing. Drum tracks and long passages of rhythm heavy music seem to progress more naturally. The soundstage is about the same width but greater height and depth. The imaging is that "holographic" shit you read about in stereophile. Individual strings, shape of mouths and cymbals, acoustic guitar bodies followed by the players arm catching vibrations or hair brushing on the strings....

I'm not even kidding what in the actual fuck is going on.

invite a friend over so you can ABX it blindly
I'd be interested how that turns out

stk modules are fine, just fine

Attached: IMG_0782.jpg (2000x1500, 374K)

That's a good idea, I'll probably invite two one experienced listener friend and one normie.

lsr305 > "vintage" garbage

Attached: 1534169296878[1].png (835x668, 113K)

Vintage audio pieces are like muscle cars. You don't own them for objective performance, you own them for the vintage, old school experience a person gets when they listen/drive.

Obviously the classic looks play in.

>mfw nyquist-shannon sampling theorem

Attached: Big Grin 4K.jpg (3840x2160, 713K)

>lsr305let back
I see you still have some regrets

how much would you pay for them?
there must be some price at which you say, ok
show youre serious then

Attached: KEF_Q300_Crossover.jpg (960x489, 86K)

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I need to replace my ancient computer speakers and I'd like to go with an amp+speakers setup instead of some garbage PC speakers. The issue is that, due to space constraints, I need to place the speakers under my main monitor, and that limits the front dimensions of the speakers to about 4"x6." (The 6" side could theoretically be a bit longer, but one edge definitely needs to be no more than 4 or 4.5" at the most. ) Is there anything worthwhile in this size range?

Total system design

A holistic approach with no compromises.

The performance envelope of these sensational new drive units is so generous that the signal needs minimal intermediation - simple first order crossovers are all that's required, as you can tell from the transparency of the sound and the inaudibly fluent transitions.

why not use stands to get them higher than the monitor or next to it? that way you can use whatever you want in terms of size

even miccas are too big

I use dual monitors with one centered and one on the left. Right now that means my left speaker is way over on the end of my desk, while the right one is in a more normal place. I'm not sure if stands would work for me, they'd have to be way up in the air above the monitor and I don't think I'd like having my sound come from overhead like that.

usually that's better than having it come from down low

Looking to spend about $1000 on a speaker setup. Would like use them to listen to music and play my guitar through. Anyone have any recomendations?

Do you already have an audio interface to record your guitar on your computer? As far as speakers and front end it depends on room size and seating.

Yeah, Ive been using a presonus 96 as an interface with the schiit stack and hd650's. Room size is about 20'x'15'x9'. I was thinking about stretching my budget a bit and getting ls50's but wasn't sure if they were a meme. The local audio shop only carries stuff like magnepan and vandersteen so I haven't been able to audition stuff in my price range.

genelec 8030/m040, neumann kh120

shop around for b-stock or lightly used, some vendors offer below MAP pricing for new if you chat with them.

The lsr305s are pretty damn good and similar to the hd600s but not as nice or detailed imo. Maybe it's because of my room acoustics, I'm not sure. No idea about the ls50's though.

>t. 600+schiit stack owner

Why would I buy shit monitors?

Until you accidentally short the speaker wires.

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. Out of those which one's do you recommend? I'm going to see if I can find a place to audition them at. I'm thinking the m040 since they have the larger speaker.

who here listen to quality recordings?

leaning back with a glass of wine to this tune at the moment

youtube.com/watch?v=QluXqntXCoM

I give the kh120 the edge, mainly because they're front ported, and has less SBIR interaction with the front wall.
The m040 will go play deeper and louder than 8030/kh120 and are bottom ported, they're probably the most bang for the buck but I like the aluminum construction of the 8030/kh120.

In the end all three are very comparable and it'll go to the one that works best with your room OR you find the best deal on.

>ls50's but wasn't sure if they were a meme
I paid $1,200 CAD for mine and at that price I am pretty satisfied. My previous speakers were paradigm atoms and the ls50 are noticeably better. When I went to the store I did an A/B with q350 and preferred the LS50.

>and has less SBIR interaction with the front wall
everything below the baffle step is omnidirectional
makes no difference where the port is located, especially on these small speakers

>We now anticipate a delivery date of August 28th

JUST

Attached: IMG_2935.jpg (1200x1600, 297K)

>makes no difference where the port is located, especially on these small speakers
Wouldn't that depend on the tuning frequency of the port? ~50hz extension isn't insignificant. I've seen some A/B monitor tests where the rear ported designs had deeper nulls in room vs sealed or front port. Isn't front port also better for time alignment?

>Wouldn't that depend on the tuning frequency of the port?
no, because it's for sure in the omnidirectional range, it can't emit any frequency that wouldn't be going in that direction anyway
>Isn't front port also better for time alignment?
depends on the tuning freq, but unless it's a very tiny speaker it will be low enough so phase difference compared to wavelength is minimal because cabinet size compared to wavelength is negleglible

>no, because it's for sure in the omnidirectional range
Still, that energy reflected from the front wall will reach you a little bit later than sealed or front port speakers right? It's just that psycho-acoustics of how people perceive deep bass is more lenient towards time alignment.

we're talking about a single digit degree phase shift here
nothing that would be audible by a far stretch

youtube.com/watch?v=MuuOgT0XBK0

How much of this could be caused by different carts?

>playing back through speakers across the fucking room into a camera mic instead of recording the turntables directly
what is wrong with these people

>memerap shit
>quality recording

Attached: nigger.jpg (563x764, 190K)

brainlet channel for brainlets

I've only ever used rear ported monitors so the grass always seems greener on the other side. Especially in regards to sealed box decay times.
>youtube.com/watch?v=9R7fuNzeBXU
>youtube.com/watch?v=sZn9alsmSNE
>youtube.com/watch?v=P6be-2J2N8k
Not the best videos but they do have in-room measurements at the end, theres no information about placement or room dimensions though. Adams have a smiley curve so I attribute the mid-dip to that, but you can see that the front ported(a7x,kh120) monitors have lesser nulls in the deep bass(30hz-100hz), which I think is because of front wall SBIR cancellation due to rear port.

Check out that kh310 in-room FR, fuck!

looks close enough for me, but yeah hard to tell anything without knowing about the actual room and placement other than that neumann kh series is fantastic

i have a pro ject debut carbon DC

lol

>the gatefold of the vinyl me please repress of Demon Days is slightly small, making it difficult to insert the records back into the sleeve if they have MoFi inner sleeves on
>this causes the inner sleeves to bunch up a bit and stick out from the gatefold
This really shouldn't piss me off

Attached: 1493014666173.png (477x729, 1.33M)

lsr305s have a midrange veil

lolwut

He said lsr 305 have a midrange vaeil.

they dont lol

Don't tell me I use Dynaudio.

cool

You put the mofi sleeves in the paper sleeves?

No, I'm talking how the gatefold is just slightly smaller than a standard sleeve making putting in a mofi sleeve difficult. If an album comes with unique paper sleeves, such as a design one (like pic related) I put it in the main sleeve behind the now mofi-sleeved record

Attached: syn-emergence-unfold.jpg (2444x1880, 791K)

don't get kef ls50 if you want to listen at shit for a musical purpose rather than studio.

the ls50 are suited for nearfield. get KEF Q350 instead maybe

>don't get kef ls50 if you want to listen at shit for a musical purpose rather than studio.
>the ls50 are suited for nearfield.
wtf are you talking about shithead?

experience, butthead

experience of what? do you even understand what nearfield means?

Nigga, why aren't you putting the entire album in it's own sleeve then putting each disc in the mofi behind the gatefold?

in closerange, stereotriangle closer than 2m for me

lol ok

Nignog, I'm doing that. I toss the garbage white paper sleeves, but if an album has inner sleeves that have a design on them I put them in with the mofi-sleeved record inside the gatefold

Attached: sleeves.png (600x430, 92K)

I'm saying why don't you put them BEHIND the gatefold so you don't need to take it out at all anymore. Pull the album from the shelf and grab the record from the back. No more digging, pulling, tugging, bending etc

here in case you wonder about my experiences

previously owned stuff

Bookshelf size:
JBL LSR 305, KEF LS50, Elac B6, Dynaudio Emit M20, Dali Zensor 1, Mission QX-2, Mackie CR4, Focal Alpha 50, iLoud Micro Monitor, Q Acoustics 3020i

Tower speakers: Jamo C97 and C95

Subwoofers: B&W ASW 608

Bluetooth speakers: Aiwa Exos 9, Dali Katch, Tribit XSound GO Vifa Reykjavik / Helsinki / Oslo / Copenhagen, Denon Envaya DSB200/250,
Harman Kardon Go+Play / Onyx Studio 4, JBL Xtreme / Charge 2+ / Flip 4, Minirig Subwoofer, Beoplay A1 / A2, Beolit 15, BenQ Trevolo

Headphones: Sennheiser HD 25-II, V-Moda Crossfade LP2, KEF M400, Hifiman HE-400i, Philips Fidelio X2, AKG 712 Pro, Parrot Zik 2, Koss Porta Pro
bunch of chinese IEM's like Xiaomi, ATE and 1More in the 10-20€ category.

Previously owned amps/dacs

Denon PMA-1600NE AMP/DAC, Marantz AMP1 AMP/DAC, , Denon PMA520AE AMP, Sabaj A3 AMP/DAC, S.M.S.L AD18 AMP/DAC, Pro-Ject Dac Box, Douk Audio Xmos bluetooth headphone AMP/DAC

cool

Sup Jow Forums

So I have a music library of about 25k songs, and of course they're all tagged and organized retardedly since I've been collecting them from my youth and from other people.

Anyone use MusicBrainz Piccard to bulk edit the tags on this many files? Whenever I cluster the files, it throws a "not responding".

Also what are some plugins you use? I'm pulling metadata from Last.Fm as well.

I set it to organize:

>Artist
>Album
>Song.mp3

Are there any audiophile-approved earbuds on a sub-$50 budget? I've been looking everywhere, but I can't find anything.

there ultimately is non except maybe Soundmagic E10. check it out

you could also buy some chinese iem's but they most likely are not neutral.. kz-ate is the only suggestion from me though

>speakers
>2018

That's soon user! Enjoy looking forward to something.

I prefer them in the cover, that's all. I don't really have problems pulling the records from their jackets. Besides, I solved the problem anyway by just tossing the design sleeves between the gatefold

Will look into it, thanks.

Is there any reason why i shpuldnt just save my money to buy the old stereo parts i want? Im sick of all these thrift shops and garage sales, would it be stupid to pay ebay prices for old cassette decks and DAT decks and turntables.

So I got this not too long ago /ag/

>Get home from work
>6:30
>No UPS delivery yet
>Been checking every hour or so
>Don't shower in case they come and need a signature
>7:50 have to leave for fitness
>delivered at 9:06pm

Attached: 20180816_212539.jpg (1086x1068, 215K)

Do less at a time or try a different program. Doesn't Music Bee do this?

Excuses, excuses, excuses. Last time I had to wait 6 - 8 weeks was for Stereophile to start my subscription.

Attached: DSC_0368 (2).jpg (2592x3872, 285K)

What excuses?

cassette decks - belts might fail; heads might be shot
DAT decks - same
turntables - easier to maintenance

>Filling the house with ethereal music at the end of a work day.

Attached: 1532996523321.jpg (1000x1206, 765K)

Cant i just replace belts

WOW! HOT a What Baabhabhiat

SILVER
EUCALYPTUS

i just use winamp's media window to help me edit tags...

Love those ScanSpeak tweets but what the fuck are those mids? I'm a B & W and Rotel kinda guy. That mid is some magic my budget doesn't recognize.

I think it's a Seas tweeter
The woofers are made in-house out of pressed prolyprolene.
youtu.be/Ja9BJn0lMxI

If I have the money to burn and don’t want to fuck with Chromecast Audios or anything, is Sonos a meme?

I just want decent speakers around my apartment and space is an issue.

Install ROON
Get ROON ready network endpoint devices
or wifi active speakers (KEF LS50 active, Sonos, Naim... etc)
Music play perfectly in sync to all zones or how you eventually set it up

Attached: 1ee8f41e.png (1310x898, 71K)

Any recommendations on CD players?

So what does /g think about Dali speakers? Specifically the Zensor line. I have been wanting to buy some floorstanding speakers and have around 1000 euros to burn. They should be able to fill a medium sized living room. Any recommendations?

these caps are weird.. all i have seen before have 2 pins but this one has 3

Attached: SANY0011.jpg (2592x1944, 1.13M)

Elna cap made specially for audio

Attached: 3652526541_da8090147c_z.jpg (500x290, 61K)

That’s awesome. Didn’t know about Roon before, this adds a lot more flexibility. Thanks!

I fixed a superlux yesterday, just removed the original wiring and directly attached an audio wire on it. The problem I have is that everything supposed to be from the center is slightly to the left. Stereo works fine on both sides on their own.

on an audio test, right/front seems perfectly in the center. is there a way to fix it manually? what could have caused this? does the length of wires have a role on this?

Mission QX-3. check it out, definately room filling to say the least

good morning gals

will receive ath m60x very soon. can't wait

thanks i will check them out

or maybe the qx-4 even, they are available in germany for 999€ at audiolust.de

That's the only place i could find them as well, but since i live in the Netherlands that shouldn't be a problem. do you know if i can listen to them in their shop before buying?

i don't really. know, these speakers are rather fresh.

i own the qx-2 and i have a small/mid sized living room and these do the job for me without a subwoofer actually.

i just can say that you should definately try them if you like bass-heavy music because these things are strong and precise in the low-end

Alright thanks anyways, maybe i'll give them a call

definately isn't a bad idea to visit them i guess, they are the only hifi reseller in germany that actually gets fresh released speaker much earlier than most retail partner and they have a skonto discount on top of it

Do I sell my Fidelio x2 and get speakers? Thinking of Kef Q100
I've never owned good speakers and wanna try them out.

i didnt know that this company makes amplifiers too

Attached: SANY0012.jpg (2592x1944, 1.2M)