Moving Electronics With Roaches

TL;DR: How to best kill and clear roaches and eggs from valuable electronics, especially gaming consoles, laptops, desktop computers/components, and large televisions.

So we have been dealing with a light but persistent roach infestation in the apartment I live in for months. I will be moving in a month to a new place, and want to guarantee none of the bugs follow us to our new place.

I've been doing research all morning to figure out how to prevent this. We already got an exterminator for the place, will be leaving many replaceable appliances behind, thoroughly washing and hot drying all the fabric things we have, and disposing of old carpets, mattresses, and couches. I'll be washing and treating all furniture we bring like bureaus and desks and tables. Dishes and the like will all be washed and packed immediately.

I'm VERY concerned about my laptop, expensive gaming rig (which I'm SURE is housing some critters), and fancy 4K 55" TV. Especially the TV I'm worried about treating, as the computer I'm used to taking apart and rebuilding. I'm thinking about applying some boric acid around the TV and computer for the time being, cleaning them with strong isopropyl alcohol, and using a gel treatment around the inside of my computer case and the TV's vents and openings.

Has Jow Forums dealt with this before? How do you take care of your large electronics, especially before a move?

Attached: german-cockroach-pest-id-card_front.jpg (1200x900, 194K)

Use insecticide in your new apartment.

Yeah I'll certainly be coordinating with the new landlord to make sure his place is well-treated before and after we move in.

EDF bump

Attached: 816iYjgYWKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (1500x844, 236K)

there is no way any insect would be or lay eggs on electronics they mostly like dark and silent places

Wrong. Roaches are happy with anywhere dark and warm, and electronics are the perfect place for them.

Anyone who repairs home computers for a living has seen bug infestations, and I have personally caught the fuckers randomly crawling out of my laptop at the office.

are you sure it was not some turkish guy?

I baited some traps with pictures of Erdogan and it wasn't any use so I think they're the regular German variety.

Where do you live?

Connecticut, so not in a place cold or hot enough to use the weather to kill them.

Could be worse. Anyway, make sure you clean every nook and and cranny physically. I'm not sure if this is true, but I have heard chemicals can't destroy roach eggs. They come in packs which need to be found and removed. And make sure that no roaches can enter the place from outdoors again. Because then all your work was for nothing.

How fucking dirty are you that you have roaches? I live in a huge house that’s practically in the woods and the only thing I’ve seen are water bugs.

>huge house in the woods

That's why

Roaches like urban environments with lots of people around. I (OP) live in a condo that had water leaks between the floors and lived above dirty people. We've kept the place clean especially since the infestation started, always making sure to do dishes, sweep up crumbs, and wipe down counter spaces.

Yeah, the nooks and crannies of my PC case are especially concerning, since there are gaps between the frame made just so you can nestle wires and such through them which would just be ideal for the nasties to live in.

put all of your dish/food in the fridge, once you get rid of the food sources they will leave in about 6 months time.

That would be great but I'm moving in a month and the idea is to not reinfect a new place that then has to be cleaned out.

cheap rent = roaches

boric acid powder, milk/water, sugar and flour
mix this shit together into a paste then place it around the house near stuff that gets warm and or wet (fridge, oven, bathroom, roof cavity) use small plastic dishes to make cleaning it up easier if you want
they will begin dying in droves and each generation will get smaller until they just fuck off completely

also destroy any open food like cereals and buy some air tight containers, the kind with a rubber seal
finally don't be a fucking slob and leave dirty dishes laying around and most importantly of all NEVER live in an apartment

You're not the source and you sound like quite the decent person.
The answer is simple, really. Keep doing what you've been doing regarding typical cleanliness. Use roach sprays along baseboards, damp places, etc. and traps to mitigate exposure. You'll want to pay extra attention to any areas of the condo that may have more moisture or recessed areas such as if you have your own laundry, as well as obviously the bathroom.

The worry of taking them with you is a justifiable fear, but it's highly unlikely. You're not the source, you live clean.
Keep on doing what you should be doing and if it allays that fear, take extra care of those items (furniture, electronics) just before you move as you already planned. Everything should be fine.

Finally, and to reiterate,
You are not the source for these bugs. It is most likely they are exploring the area but cannot inhabit your house. Take extra care in cleaning up, don't leave food out, wash your dishes as you use them, and control moist areas, while using roach sprays in recommended hiding spots, and you should be able to move without hassle.

Diatomaceous Earth

Yep, that seemed to be the case.

>You are not the source for these bugs. It is most likely they are exploring the area but cannot inhabit your house

That would be nice, but it's not like they don't infest places that can't be reached.

I've seen roaches emerge from behind a VERY embedded stove, in the cracks around bathroom fixtures, and even from within my toaster oven and laptop. They, sadly, can live even in a house that is well maintained.

I use boric acid frequently around the apartment, diatomaceous earth when I am away on food preparation and frequently touched surfaces, and I have a pest spray of dish soap, water, and peppermint oil that kills the fuckers good and cleans the area where they were. I also place glue traps around areas like behind the trash can, near the stove, under the toaster oven, in the backs of cabinets, etc.

These things are not easy to get rid of.

It's been

just ban poor people and roaches will go extinct

I'm reinstalling my OS after reading your post because you seem to have a fucking curse on you, Jesus

"Because they are cold-blooded insects, cockroaches can live without food for one month, but will only survive one week without water."

They simply cannot nest in a domicile that does not provide resources.
A similar statement would be "One simply cannot get fat from eating too little food"

>murica education
no sweaty, it doesn't work like that.

no sweaty mom's spaghetti

Right but they can get food from neighboring apartments, no to mention pantries (ugh), garbage, or crumbs inside of cooking appliances or furniture. They will also go cannibal to get food if need be. They'll always go for water too, and it's near impossible to have your entire domicile be totally dry if you use the sinks/baths regularly.

It can happen to the best of us, user.

I have not seen a cockroach in my entire life.

Consider yourself lucky. There's some denial when you first see the german ones because the small ones are REALLY small, but I tell you from experience when you see ONE go full fucking RaHoWa on them and spend a quick $100 doing a variety of repellent, poison baiting, and trapping, or just hire the exterminator right away.

It's a horrible feeling when they get into your things.

OP you need the roach gel baits.

Advion
Maxforce FC Magnum
Invict Gold

it'll cost you about 65 bucks to get all all three on amazon. put that shit all over the nooks crannies cracks crevices etc around your place and give it a couple days. You'll see the german roaches walking around drunk as fuck, and then dead.

there's a couple other Maxforce baits you want to use as maintenance baits but the FC Magnum is the real kicker to get rid of them.

The normal insecticide shit just won't work. You can spray all the insecticides you want but they will get around that shit. German roaches have to be baited and killed from the inside out.

Attached: roach baits.png (1426x833, 198K)

Nice. I watched the exterminator that came around dot that shit in the cabinet door corners. I already ordered the Invict and will be applying it around my electronics to draw them out. I'll also dab some on my clothing drawers in case they are hiding around there.

Do you think it would be any good to apply it around the vents of the electronics themselves or would that just be a surefire way to get dead roaches in my TV?

This. Based Canada. The weather must be too cold for them, or something.

Depends where you live. Long winters definitely helps keep the bug population down.

Spray each box as you pack up, seal it well. Avoid large cities.

Chemicals are a concern but I will probably sprinkle some diatomaceous earth at the bottom of each box in case any creeps pop out.

/diy/ had a great idea too for CO2 fumigation, very interesting stuff. You seal up a space like you would with normal fumigation, but you pump the room full of CO2, let it displace the air in the room, then seal it off for 24-48 hours.

Commercial farmers do this to picked plants in order to kill any bugs, but doing some research it turns out pot growers do this too in their illicit grow rooms so I guess it can be done at home pretty safely as long as you don't suffocate yourself like some kind of retard. I'll probably do it in a garage where I can just let the CO2 out all at once with the automatic garage door.