Is pic related the only GPL'd project in the world where everyone has agreed that yup, it works, it does the job...

Is pic related the only GPL'd project in the world where everyone has agreed that yup, it works, it does the job, there is absolutely no reason for another application that tries to do the same thing, so let's all just develop this one? I think it is.

Attached: Calibre_logo_3.png (1024x1024, 98K)

was going to say ffmpeg but nah gstreamer is trying to reinvent that wheel now
you might actually be right

Its funny because /gee/ hates pajeets and calibre was made by one

GNOME books

and in Java. And it works great. Just for Goyal-senpai, I let him ease himself on designated shitting street without ridicule.

>no highlighting for note-taking purposes
in the trash it goes.

It has.

Isn't Calibre written in Python 2 and the dev said fuck it, we're not rewriting in Python 3.

I don't think it's Java, pretty sure it's written in Python

it's 70% Python, 20% C, 6% JavaScript, and then a bunch of random other stuff.

so it will basically be dead soon.

Calibre uses entirely Python 3, not sure what yall are getting at

Either this.
Another option is that all Python 2 users somehow form the Python 2 maintenance foundation and the shism becomes as bad as is was at the beginning and Python dies.

>70% Python, 20% C, 6% JavaScript, and
100% reason to remember the name

You can literally search "Calibre Python 3" and see that you're wrong.

Yeah pretty much, I used a plugin with it to remove drm from my kindle books, good shit.

Attached: roboflip3.jpg (3120x4208, 3.7M)

Hah, you wish. I'm always playing around with the idea to write my own media library manager with plugins to handle devices and blackjack & hookers.
Never written a line of code for it though. But one day.....

And yet its UI is fucking dogshit. As fucking usual.

Other projects where no alternative exists:
- Wine
- Gimp
- Blender

Notice a common theme among many of these tools?
Their UIs fucking suck and no one bothers fixing them even though these are large open-source projects with lots of users.

I never actually used python.

A while ago I read about the language features and now I'm fucking terrified that this is apparently the go-to scripting language for Linux.
Its basic design principles are a fucking atrocity. At least give me a fucking strict mode.
Even fucking VBA and Powershell have that.

>Blender
>UI sucks
>No one bothers fixing them

Did you ever use Blender?

Readium a app for chrome is better than it thou. for random text based old epubs maybe caliber is good if you want to edit or format them for some weird reason (why exactly?)

but for reading new epub3 or what ever calibre bearly works and the formating is wrong and readium is the only way to make it look like it would on a ipad or tablet/phone and not have fucked up formating.

calibre seems like its just made for weird people who want to pirate their universitys archives and remove their info from them so they dont get court.

if you just reading epubs on PC get readium instead. esp if your reading epub3 like from games workshop or some thing.

I remember trying out Maya (or was it 3DMax?) because I randomly had access to a computer where it was available.
The difference between Blender and that tool in terms of intuitiveness was like night and day.

I'm sure Blender is nice to use once you get past the entry hurdle, which already elevates it far past Calibre and Gimp, but it's still a fucking unintuitive brick wall.

UI suckage is subjective. For example, I have no problems with any of those because I'm used to their UI. In fact, the one time I tried to use PS, I couldn't because I've always used GIMP.

> no one bothers fixing them even though these are large open-source projects with lots of users.
That's the because right there, why change something that everyone is familiar with.

Imo Blender is lightyears ahead of Gimp, they should never serve as examples for the same anything

Gimp is the most intuitive (not counting pixelmator) raster editor I know of.

Calibre absolutely does not "do the job" when it comes to converting PDFs, it's complete dogshit at it in fact

And the Pajeet who made it is incredibly toxic and problematic

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 1.05.09 PM.png (1271x804, 215K)

Really? I found Calibre's GUI to be shitty. I mean, I still use it because I can't be bothered with anything else, but w/e.

I used it to append some cover art to a few books so they would show up in my nook...

But yeah the UI was awful. Now I just upload my books to Google Play Books and read them on my phone.

>And the Pajeet who made it is incredibly toxic and problematic
wtf i love pajeets now

It kind of blows honestly. I'd prefer something like beets.
But it does most of what it's supposed to do, and about fifty other things, yes.

Shit, I literally opened the thread to say ffmpeg.

Calibre is great, I've used it for years to convert dozens of EPUBs and Kindle files into the best reading format (PDF).

Calibre is total shit, classic case or unusable freetard UI

Aegisub.
>The latest stable version is 3.2.2, released December 7, 2014

And I'm still using that shit baybee.

Attached: 1525038148319.png (500x194, 19K)

nothing converts PDFs decently though

...I legit went and checked the github repo for that post. It's Python 3, not Python 2.

>app for chrome

Attached: index.jpg (251x201, 8K)

yeah ever since gstreamer has hit 1.0 ffmpeg actually has some competition...ffmpeg actually doesn't handle RTSP in a sane manner at all, gstreamer does it much better

It has such a fucked up UX (par for the course with FOSS, but still...)