Super smash bros melee clone

preface. im pretty good at programming in c/c++ and python and want a smashbros clone that runs on linux at least. so my question is, what game engines or languages would be better or best suited to designing a smashbros clone. is opengl fast enough? too low level? pyopengl? ogre? allegro? i really dont know what would work best.

since it would be a clone, everything would have to be non-copyrighted. i also intend to make it FOSS(free and open source). i love the game, but god damn does the dolphin emulator suck balls, and i figure if the game was able to run natively on my system, it would work way better. plus i can add whatever characters i wanted, win win.

i realize this would take a huge amount of time, and i may never finish it if just by myself. but im gonna try anyway, so dont waste my time trying to convince me otherwise.

Attached: wpid-super_smash_bros__melee_by_abfdghafdg-d5lmrnd.png (1920x1080, 2.06M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ogldev.atspace.co.uk/index.html
openglsuperbible.com/
learnopengl.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=ftiKrP3gW3k&list=PLEETnX-uPtBXT9T-hD0Bj31DSnwio-ywh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>no Melee in MH
>Melee on Jow Forums
I can't answer your questions but I'll bump this.

Attached: where is the melee.jpg (249x242, 10K)

I'd be interested in contributing some, dont have suggestions for libs though

>the Dolphin emulator sucks balls
negro what are you smoking

this

i can play meelee on my phone lol

>smart enough to be "good" at C++
>to stupid to google
consider the bait taken

A bunch of clones already exist, also Dolphin runs extremely well. In any case, to answer your questions:
>what game engines or languages would be better or best suited
Do you just want a 2D game with Melee's mechanics/tech or a full 3D game that resembles it pretty well?
If the former go with SFML, SDL2, PyGame, Love, etc. You don't need anything too complicated.
If the latter, study up on OpenGL and basic graphics programming then move from there, but note it'll take longer. If you just wanna get it done and don't wanna learn all that stuff then UE4 or Unity are your best bets, but I think for the sake of having the game be actually good just roll your own stuff. Also in my experience 3D libraries for C++ are a pain in the ass to work with, in 2D it's not as much of a problem since there isn't that much you have to do before you can truly make a game but in 3D there's so many more hoops to jump through that I think it's just easier doing it yourself.
>Is OpenGL fast enough?
Yes
>Too low level?
Depends on what you're comfortable with, I don't think so unless you're doing really complicated stuff with it but Melee isn't that unique graphically speaking

Here's some resources on OpenGL:
ogldev.atspace.co.uk/index.html
openglsuperbible.com/
learnopengl.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=ftiKrP3gW3k&list=PLEETnX-uPtBXT9T-hD0Bj31DSnwio-ywh

If you start it up though link us your git repo or something, I'm kinda interested.

Attached: 222yosh.png (446x320, 115K)

depends on the platform i think

all that matters is if it would run on machines that can't emulate dolphin

Just use unreal engine or cryengine.

You can buy the game plus a gamecube for

lame, works but it's still the lamest way to do it

netplaying with people is fun sometimes, could be why she wants to do it

What exactly is lame about it? Is it cool to waste your time doing everything by hand?

fucking seriously?
what phone and how?

this is kind of a sensitive subject but to me there's just something less impressive about someone cobbling together something in unity/ue4 as opposed to rolling your own thing
>inb4 rolling your own engine takes too long, wastes time, blah blah blah
people for some reason are under the impression that if you're writing your own engine, you *must* be writing a generic one like unity that can have any game concept thrown at it and have it be able to do something, and if that's the goal of the engine you're writing then yes it will take ages to develop. if you know exactly what type of game you're going to make and know what things you can skimp out on (for example, how racing games don't have to worry about high res models/textures as much since you're far away from everything and moving quick) it takes significantly less time. still longer than it'd take to go the unity/ue4 route, but imo it pays off.

i can always tell if a game is a unity game, an unreal game, etc. because 99% of the people who use those engines make no effort to actually fix up the things that need worked on. the thing people don't realize is that for your game to not look like "yet another unity/ue4/etc. game" you have to account for all of those engines' shortcomings, which usually involves having to reimplement a bunch of things (like collision response, lighting, etc) which you'd be better off just doing on your own instead

it's like the gamedev equivalent of people who use fl studio but don't replace the default samples with their own, and as a result make garbage music. people act like engines are just some generic thing you can use as if there's no difference between them, and that's not true at all

do you think cooking is a waste of time too? why would you waste your time cooking when you could just go to carl's jr and get something for a dollar or so? it's cheaper, and it's faster to obtain, but it still tastes like shit at the end of the day

Why would you want to play gamecube games on a touchscreen, especially a game like melee.

Honestly, if you have to ask about what tech to use for this sort of thing, you're probably 10 years too early to make the attempt.
It's also pretty hilarious how you consider UE4/Unity beneath you yet you're willing to use Allegro (and don't even get me started on Ogre, you're practically a physics engine away from a game engine there). Too weak to use the OS windowing libraries, are we?
The one bit of advice I'll give you is that if you're going to work with OpenGL directly - which would be a fool's errand and you will never see anything remotely resembling a decent game that way - is to not use Python. It'll be too slow for anything but rendering the most basic of models or blitting sprites on quads.

Attached: 1528447942577.jpg (377x567, 19K)

>The one bit of advice I'll give you is that if you're going to work with OpenGL directly - which would be a fool's errand and you will never see anything remotely resembling a decent game that way
lol what, opengl isn't that complicated

dude like reverse engineer mugen and add 3d support and like make melee from that bruh

Attached: 3dtest.png (1907x1075, 179K)

Drawing a triangle isn't complicated, no. But what about writing a scene graph? Importing models? Skeletal animation? Memory management? Simply making everything not look like shit? That would take a competent developer years to do well.
Someone actually considering powering a game engine directly with Python would basically never finish such a project and is probably unaware of half the things he'd have to do.

>scene graph
not that hard
>import models
depending on the format not really that hard, honestly he could get away with just using stuff like assimp for that though
>skeletal animation
i agree with this one
>memory management
assuming op's doing this in c or something i'd consider this fundamental knowledge

>Someone actually considering powering a game engine directly with Python would basically never finish such a project and is probably unaware of half the things he'd have to do.
alright yeah assuming you're talking about python specifically i agree that trying to do gamedev with it is a fucking terrible idea, but using opengl with c or c++ isn't that difficult. aside from animation, melee isn't that complicated as far as graphics go. the lighting is also really simple, you could get its lighting figured out in like a day with a little background

>honestly he could get away with just using stuff like assimp for that though
OP has a retarded aversion to using preexisting solutions outside of inexplicable cherry-picked exceptions like Ogre for whatever reason.
>assuming op's doing this in c or something i'd consider this fundamental knowledge
I keep ripping on the fact that OP suggested using pyopengl since that proves how utterly in over his head he is. I doubt he knows about proper memory management at all.
Even using something like Ogre + Bullet this would still be a major undertaking. Using OpenGL directly means you won't even get to the game part any time soon.

Attached: 1529969488240.jpg (600x600, 36K)

If you were pretty good at anything you wouldn't be asking Jow Forums

Melee HD?
I'll make the logo

I wonder if any of the Dolphin devs are on Jow Forums

prob just doesn't know any better honestly, ogre's like the default go-to whenever people google "game engine c++" and don't see a giant set of software that goes with it like unity or unreal. honestly though if he wants a smashy game it'd make the most sense (if he doesn't want to use any big engines) to make something small with love or something, smash's gameplay is simple enough to the point that it could easily be done in 2d (knight club and rivals of aether are a couple examples) and love would be the perfect place to start imo, given that he's a newbie

>prob just doesn't know any better honestly
Exactly, but he's beyond not knowing any better, he's seriously overestimating his own skill. People like that work my nerves.
LOVE would make a decent starting point but I have half a mind he'd write that off for being too much of a game engine, too.

This is why comp sci's failure rate is so high. "I want to make video games durr" and then they get into it and hate it.

Most phones with decent specs can, dolphin emu is available for Android and you can map a blue tooth controller pretty easily.

Most also have garbage taste in games with a very shallow understanding of what makes interaction fun and the psychological phenomenon behind attachment and fascination with games for a demographic. Most game devs are terribly bad at understanding that sort of theory, among the psychological effects of risk/reward, and sense of control. Most don't find these things intuitive knowledge and that's important. To any aspiring game devs on this board: don't. You suck. People don't want your shitty Metroidvania game and I don't want to argue with you about how 'everything was inspired by something else!!!!!!' I don't even know who you are and I know you're garbage at game dev.

you could say this about anything lmao

I'd never go out of my way to work in game development, because there's so many others willing to accept low pay and poor conditions just to be working on toys.