Cryptocurrency prices continue their downward slide making them no longer viable to mine on GPUs

techpowerup.com/246817/the-only-thing-you-get-with-mining-ethereum-now-is-room-heating

>Cryptocurrency prices continue their downward slide making them no longer viable to mine on GPUs

>The only thing you get with mining ethereum now is room heating

Imagine all the cheap videocards on ebay and craigslist

Attached: 916Qd6deErL._SX425_.jpg (425x547, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

comma.guide/vocative-comma/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

if you buy a mining card and replace the fans, would it be good to go?

gfx cards last as long as cpus I had a core2duo overclocked to 4.5ghz that I used from 2008-2017.

just change the thermal paste every 3years and your fine.

only reason gpus die so much is people have dusty computers or they have shitty 3rd party coolers or people overclock them or fuck with them some how.

the 10series cards will be fine second hand. the 9 series ones might have been overclocked to increase mining efficiency and maybe pushed to the limit. but maybe not. its hard to say.

replacing the thermal paste and cleaning out dust it all you would have to do and the card would work fine for another 5 years and if you kept looking after it it could last a decade or more.

only gpus that die like after 2-3 years are actually made bad and its nvidia or amds fault. this happened abit in the late 2000s but im not sure about now.

Russian roulette

I plan on buying 2x 980ti or 2x titan x Maxwell in the next 2-3 years.

980ti cost 300$ atm and titan XM cost 700$

when i buy them ill prob be spending 400/800$ on 6 year old hardware and im not too concerned. they can both overclock to speeds faster than a 1080.

buying a gpu that was used to mine is fine, if it works when you get it then it is going to continue to work
the fan controller is weakest point, but you can fix that with basic soldering skills

however this gpu generation has gone on too long, and you should not be buying such old, obsolete tech at anything more than one-third of the original msrp

cryptonigger

Thanks, just bought 100k

Yeah this is the third time that has happened.. It will rise again and it's rinse and repeat.

The last time I got out the 280x was the king.

Attached: 1534001399786.gif (320x240, 1.08M)

Thing is, while that is true of the actual GPU die itself it's not for all of the other components on the board.

>implying they know hardware shits

Long overdue.

These cards run in 103 degree temperatures for hundreds of hours, you think it's just a fan swap and you're good? If miners weren't idiots they'd be using external cooling, at least floor fans. But more often then not they even put it in a non ventilated enclosure instead. What do you think is the reason their cards don't survive more than 5 months?

Pretty much. I wouldn't even bother replacing the fan until I get issues.

Might want to repaste though. These things are warm 24/7 and my expectation is that the cheap paste would be dried out.

pajeet power up doesn't have anything tech related to write, so they are writing about mining now.
poo in the loo w2zzard

Sad.

I hoped crypto would solve the /v/ problem once and for all.

>just replace the paste bro!
Mining cards are bad because BGA desolders from the PCB from the constant heat, plus internal heat damage. You can't do crap about that. Heat gunning it will make it work for a month, then it dies for good.

Good luck buying two cards, one from a miner, and then one from a vendor.

VRAM degrades too though.

But goyim we have to use lead free paste! just think of the environment!
Who cares if solder melts at 90-110°C, think green!

Just look at how good apple products are with lead free solder!

>cheap videocards on ebay
It happens right now. You can get 1080ti for under $100.

Scam of course

instead of mining you can buy up all the mining motherboards to sell them to retro pc hardware enthusiasts in about 10 years.

Don't do that, I ordered a 750ti off of ebay, I knew it was a scam, and it just so happened to come 3 months late, all banged up, and as a 550 with a firmware flash, it was free and worked, though

Good thing ebay has some of the best consumer protections on the web.

Actually number one cause of bga desolder is the constant expansion and contracting of heating up and cool down cycles. But continue to spread false information.

You anecdotal evidence means nothing.

THANK YOU BASED REALITY

no one uses gpus to mine anymore OP
articles like this expose how little "tech journalists" actually know about crypto

>you = the world
I still ETH with my 3 rx480...

>THANK YOU BASED REALITY
Will fucking "THANK YOU BASED"-posters from /v/ ever stop raping the English language?
comma.guide/vocative-comma/

The lead free solder part is correct though.

It's a straight up oversimplified copy of a retarded Bloomberg article
They don't, constant heat it's way less damaging than constant thermal cycling from gaming
Lead lowers the melting point brainlet, pretty much everyone uses lead-free solder since the mid 00's, Apple it's just retarded or plainly engineering their shit to fail

Replace the fans with what? More cooling = faster heat dump into the room.

980ti is slower than a 1080

Titan XM is still slower when overclocked

980 Ti matches a 1080 FE @1.5 GHz but SLI is retarded
Get a 1080Ti if you plan to play in 4K

Based grammarian

Ryzen don't have igpu

you were able to get original firmware on it?