/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Post your questions here

>Read
→ → →

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Previous thread:

Attached: 9 crop.jpg (370x370, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/VjvcGG
f-droid.org/en/packages/cl.coders.faketraveler/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software#Communications
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Posted in your old thread right after the new one got announced, so i repost my question here.

>I have a 64x64 image and I want to retain the image size, but have it take up a few hundred MB of space. Is there any way to do that?

I got this build last night from a kind user and am wondering if there are any incompatibilities with the CPU and the Case.
>pcpartpicker.com/list/VjvcGG
The CPU comes with a fan on it and I can't find the size for it and if it will fit in the case.
Second thing I need to know - and here's the stupid question portion - is if this AMD CPU will work with the 1070 I'll be getting because part of me thinks it's weird that AMD would allow Nvidia shit to work with it.

dd if=/dev/zero (or /dev/random) of=padding
cat 64x64.png padding > padded_64x64.png

Yes, what is the image format? you can bloat it up using metadata

oh, also, add count= bs=1M to the first command

No idea about the fan, but for your second question, yes your your nvidia graphics card and AMD CPU will get along just fine.

i want to nakadashi that loli

Some strict parsers/viewers will error out on any chunks after IEND

yes and yes

>The CPU comes with a fan on it and I can't find the size for it and if it will fit in the case.
120mm
>it's weird that AMD would allow Nvidia shit to work with it.
The motherboard is what is standard here, it uses pcie3, anything else would be noncompetitive and would see billions of loss in lawsuits. As long as it fits in the pci slot, the brand does not matter

True but it works when I tested it in Firefox and sxiv so it should probably be enough for his purposes

>ram is marked as 2666 but shows on the bios as 2134
>First xmp profile is the same speed and timings as my ram
>Computer just reboots 3 times and goes back to 2134hz

What do

Attached: 1526400628858.jpg (500x500, 54K)

Reposting from last thread

How do I remove the blue plastic tab on this caddy? It is for a t420s of that helps.

Attached: 20180816_164746.jpg (5312x2988, 3.71M)

Is there an android video player that allows zooming in?
vlc cannot do this, right? (If it is possible someone please tell me how)

Metadata is probably easiest. Don't think there's any limit to how much you can store (as long as you don't override the file limit size). You might want to use a dedicated tool for it as I think GIMP will shit itself from pasting so much text.

I have a bunch of music loaded onto a microsd card which I use in my phone. Over time, some of the files begin to go partially corrupt at random. I've recopied the files multiple times at this point and run a file comparison afterward to make sure it's not just a bad copy job.

Is my phone fucked, or is it just the card? Is there a way to find out other than "put a new card in it and wait for it to happen again"? I really hope it's not the phone, I like it and don't want to have to replace it just yet.

>reposting from old thread since i was near the end

how the fuck do i install a new kernel on gentoo with grub?
I followed all the steps:
eselect new sources
copy in old .config
update the config with silentoldconfig
make menuconfig to make some changes
make
make modules_install
make install
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Then i reboot and still in the same old kernel. In grub if I used advanced options and pick the new kernel I get a kernel panic.

I tried this before with just making changes (not a kernel update but just a rebuild) and I gave up and used genkernel and it all worked. What am I missing gentoomen?

Does motherboard support 2666 MHz? I guess some might not like overclocking RAM. Do you have multiple RAM sticks and if yes are they all at least 2666 MHz? Otherwise they all get downclocked to the speed of the slowest one.

I want to run pfsense wan to lan at 1gig speeds. I have a AMD Phenom II X4 945 would this push the speeds I want?

There's a label on the sticks that shows 2666 and the same timings that xmp has listed for it's first profile. They're all the same ram too (I did get them used from a questionable source if that makes a difference)

I can't seem to get DNSCrypt to work on OpenWRT. It just complains it can't fetch the certificate. I tried different servers, of course. Firewall rules are default and I don't see anything that would prevent it from working. Could it be because the version is pre-v2 and servers simply don't allow old versions?

/csg/? Guess you got chinked then

Lads what antivirus program do you recommend?

Setup your nic to be jumbo frames and 9000 mtu and tweak your sysctl kernel settings and its easily done

>test out my temps on monster hunter world
>motherboard apparently is at 110c
>its been at 110c pretty much the entire time it seems

whats going on? my shit idles at 30c and like 50-70c stressed but my mobo right now apparently can boil water?

Attached: spec.jpg (924x616, 123K)

B-loat-itdefener for dummies
rkill for certified wangblows pros
common sense on unix

wrong post my bad

Attached: data.jpg (1575x573, 372K)

I'm just wondering if it'll push wan to lan 1gig speeds is all. I think it will though only really want to run it as a pfsense router.

the kernel panic was due to the lack of an initramfs, which I needed genkernel to solve. Really wish they would include that in the guide. Still don't have a clue how to configure a kernel without using genkernel at all. Now I have to try and get rid of the old kernels and set this new one as default in grub. im totally going to brick my install.

Have my laptop (t440) hooked up to a 24" monitor via VGA. Problem is I can't get the resolution to 1080. How do I do it?

For whatever reason my displays "crash" every day at the exact same time.
So at the same time my displays go black for 10 seconds and restore right back to normal again, every day, at the exact same freaking time. I even set up a timer to remind me of this incase I'm playing something or shit.

I suspect the Nvidia drivers... did someone experience the same thing and got it fixed?

System log throws this for each display:

0x80000000000000

System
XXXX

Reposting this from the last thread.

What free Android VPN services would you recommend? I basically just want to mask my location so I can talk to some of my old friends on a platform where someone could see my approximate location. I'd do this on my desktop but my girlfriend would ask me why I installed a service like that.
>Why would you want to mask your location over something like this
I know it's a bit strange but I don't want to fill this place up with my life story.

don't we all, user

It's Corsair ram, it's just I got it used

GTX 1060 btw, overclocked.
Though I doubt that overclock has something to do with it, since it's perfectly stable on stress tests / gaming.

Source?

Asking the real questions

I want to be a mystical computer druid but don't really know shit. I'm currently in uni getting all my worthless general education like philosophy and privilege checking out of the way, would it be worth majoring in a computers degree or should I just go into stats for the guaranteed well paying state and insurance jobs, then use certifications and experience to get into a computers job if I want to later?

Attached: 1408540684161.gif (450x253, 266K)

I'm wanting to finally get rid of ZUI on my Z2 Pro and use AEX instead

what's this shit about treble? I can barely comprehend what the pajeets on xda are telling me to do. I think the idea is:

>flash something that makes the phone able to flash treble roms
>flash twrp
>reboot the phone and wipe whatever partitions
>flash the aex rom and gapps
>wipe more partitions

does that sound right? I have no idea if this is the best thread to ask in, I just don't want to brick my phone

Win 7 Can I make the folder backgrounds on different drives have different colors (or something like that)?
I work from C:\ and backup to E:\. Sometimes I forget I'm in E:\ and start doing work there.

I'm still using Appchan X because I'm stubborn. The issue is that it's only compatible with an old greasemonkey version, which by extension is forcing me to stick with an older version of Firefox. I'm starting to get bugs which is becoming a bit of a burden. I've been told that Appchan X still works with violentmonkey on the latest Firefox, is there any truth to this? Not sure if I'd expect anyone here to know the answer to this, but it's worth a shot.

Manually set to 2666MHz.
Which motherboard?

Sensor probably went bad.
Open HWMonitor and speccy, post motherboard sensor temperatures.

Why do you need a VPN? There are apps that can spoof location.

anyone else having problems login into youtube?

Hard to say. In my experience, if a degree related to computing would actually be interesting to you then you would probably already be learning shit about it on your own.

What's wrong with Jow Forums X?

Yes because I don't have a Google account :^)

If you didn't figure out computers already from just using them and fixing them when you break it yourself, you'll never learn it from a school. They don't teach shit about actual computers besides meme theory. Go for state and insurance.

OK so
Debian uses aptitude
Fedora uses yup
Arch uses pacman
But like the only reason I know this is because I've watched youtube videos
Is there somewhere I can see what each distro uses
I want to try opensuse but I have no idea what it uses or its syntax
Where can I find information like that

I have a crack in my laptop. Epoxy should do the trick right?

Attached: 20180816_164435.jpg (4032x1960, 1.65M)

Yes, but will give you troubles with disassembly once it dries.

cute drawing of me

>install Ubuntu 18.04
>try to install Cuda drivers, switch to proprietary nvidia drivers (it came with Ubuntu? v390)
>reboot
>can't boot into Ubuntu, get an error about missing nvidia files

Plz help me!

type this question in your your favorite search engine and find out

why are there like over a dozen different ways in c++ to read a file into a vector

Your fix is easy though so don't worry.

Is it even possible to pay for online subscriptions anonymously?

>recently got a list from several second opinions
>everything checks out and bought all parts
>everything arriving by Tuesday
Permission to come aboard the Mustard Race?

I have questions with this also. I am still a tech brainlet so I need a bit of advice.
1. What should I do pre-preemptively for my build besides grounding myself? I'm also going to assume I'll need a screwdriver, yes? Anything else besides that? Old laptaps or burnt Nvidia cards for the summoning circle?

2. Can I assume that everything comes included with the parts for installation? My CPU has a cooling fan with it and the case comes with a fan so I didn't need thermal paste. at least I don't think I do.

3. When shits all built and I load the Win10 Iso up for install do I start looking for drivers for everything?
Anything in particular that needs to be set up, software recommendations for part management, etc?

Attached: thinking man stock photo thinker questioning puzzling man.jpg (1600x1062, 232K)

That's about what I was thinking. I'm sort of struggling with learning software and procrastinating by focusing on the physical electronics side instead. I guess the more concise way to phrase my questions is; Can I actually learn shit by majoring in CS or CE? and Can I get a tech wizard job with a stats degree and skills/certs?

A service like that would work fine too. Which ones would you recommend?

Check the task scheduler to make sure something stupid didn't get added in there. As an example of something similar though not quite as annoying as what you describe, my windows installation by default had the Windows System Assessment Tool scheduled to go off every Sunday, which - among other things - would cause my display to go out briefly and shut off aero for quite a while all without warning, making me think there was something wrong with my system until I found out that the assessment tool was even a thing.

Ok I'll try them thanks..

Crypto.

I'm logged in at the moment, the UI is fucked up as well. Looking it up online, I can safely say it isn't just you who's gotten locked out of Youtube. I imagine it'll get fixed eventually

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x760, 521K)

me too

Sauce?

>Can I actually learn shit by majoring in CS or CE?
Absolutely not.
>Can I get a tech wizard job with a stats degree and skills/certs?
Just go back for a master's if you want to change careers.

Routers tend to choke more with things like large numbers of connections and tons of route lookups, and not just raw throughput.

You're not going to be running BGP so route lookups aren't an issue, and unless you've got hella torrents, connections shouldn't be too much of an issue either.
If you are running torrents and notice slowdowns, cut back the number of connections allowed until you find your magic number.

Oh and if you're using it as a proxy + firewall with tons of rules that will put load on it too. Shouldn't have too much of an issue, most consumer routers have like a 200MHz ARM processor.

Anyone have a fix to unfuck youtube like seen in ?
Theater mode makes it at least usable, but shit's still broken.

> I guess the more concise way to phrase my questions is; Can I actually learn shit by majoring in CS or CE?
I mean it is certainly possible. But again, people generally have trouble learning about things that don't really interest them, and if this kind of thing interested you then you would already be learning about it. Also what is a 'tech wizard job' specificall?

I don't have GAPPS installed so I use this one since it's the only one with OSM instead of Google Maps. You can find others if you search for "spoof location" or similar.
f-droid.org/en/packages/cl.coders.faketraveler/

No root needed but you need to enable developer options (there are instructions online so not gonna go into details) and then set an app for mock location, which will be whichever one you download.

Youtube's old layout started to get buggy all of a sudden, any way to fix it?

Attached: oldyt.png (1360x708, 948K)

Crypto only depending on who you get it from. Certain "bitcoin atms" identify you and your address is then connected to your name. Which is problematic since all your traffic on your wallet is public info.

Look up
>[distro] package manager
That'll eventually lead you to some sort of manual.

Also Fedora doesn't use yum anymore. It's dnf now.

Nothing really suspicious there unfortunately.

Last thing that was triggered beforehand was Google Updates 5 minutes prior it happening.
I started some tasks manually, but to no avail.. can't reproduce it.

Attached: please respond.jpg (407x325, 68K)

here.
The new layout does work correctly, could this be the end of the old one?

Attached: newyt.png (1360x709, 780K)

>windows

>Just go back for a master's if you want to change careers.
Eugh. Do not want.

Well I am trying to learn already, it's just hard. I'm wondering if it would help me.
>what is a 'tech wizard job' specificall?
Where you lord around your 'tower' and nobody understands your 'magic'. I guess examples would be managing networks for a large company, penetration testing for a consulting firm, or something I cannot at present name because I don't understand enough about it.

You'll need a #2 Philips screwdriver. Or better yet find a pic related. I have half a dozen or so I got free over the years from places handing them out. Might also help to get the right sized nut driver for the motherboard standoffs (although def not required). Sometimes they're pre installed, and trying to unscrew them with pliers is chump work.

> Can I assume that everything comes included with the parts for installation?
In this day and age probably, unless you have 10 drives or something else odd. Sometimes you get gypped on HDMI cables. Intel stock heatsinks come with it pre-sprayed on (from description I'm assuming that's what you got)

>When shits all built and I load the Win10 Iso up for install do I start looking for drivers for everything?
Windows 10 will work out of the box with a lot of things. Graphics drivers you will have to download. Anything else play by ear. Sometimes mobos, SSDs and the like have utilities. Download them if you want them. Usually not required.

Attached: Lectrosonics_35679_Mini_Flathead_Screwdriver_1369159826000_533357.jpg (500x500, 11K)

let's say I download a software or a game that is on version 1.0. Version 1.5 releases with the size of 1 GB and I skip it. Then Version 2.0 releases with the size of 500MB and I downloaded it. My question is, what happened to Version 1.5? Was it also included in version 2.0? If so then how come it's smaller in size?

this cant possibly be right? is it just the sensor thats broken?

how the fuck can a mobo be 110c roasting and everything be 29c?

Attached: data.jpg (1488x1282, 462K)

I don't even know if this is the right board to ask, but does anyone know about a software that would be able to convert the sound level from your microphone into a trigger press? So the louder I yell, the harder the virtual trigger is pressed, kinda like the old voice-activated games for the Nintendo DS. I know the DS emulators can do this to some degree, but I want to be able to control the speed of my truck in Euro Truck Simulator 2 by screaming

She sure is feeling the heat this summer~

Brilliant, thank you user.

>Permission to come aboard the Mustard Race?
Prepare for disappointment and only playing indieshit you could run on a Thinkpad.
t. made this mistake
>brainlet
Stop.
>What should I do pre-preemptively for my build besides grounding myself?
Clean your fucking hands, and dry them well.
>I'm also going to assume I'll need a screwdriver, yes?
Yes.
>Can I assume that everything comes included with the parts for installation?
No. Check the description on a few sites for package contents. Sometimes you won't get shit like SATA cables, or just one when you need two.
>When shits all built and I load the Win10 Iso
Couls you not?
>up for install do I start looking for drivers for everything?
W10 automatically installs latest drivers for better or for worse. Just make sure you can get onto the internet. Might be a pain if you're using some obscure wifi card. Ethernet should be fine unless your mobo is from China or something.
>Anything in particular that needs to be set up, software recommendations for part management, etc?
Read the wiki.

There are all kinds of different versioning schemes which make this question impossible to answer in general. You would have to give a specific example.

building a computer is just fucking legos and win10 will have all the drivers you need except the ones for your vidya card

>Well I am trying to learn already, it's just hard. I'm wondering if it would help me.
Dunno what to tell you, but based on my own experience getting a CS degree I just don't get the vibe that you sound cut out for a CS/CE degree yourself.

>t. made this mistake
>i am autistic thus you are too

what's a good sub 100 dollar graphics card to pair with a core 2 quad?

Whats a good alternative to Facebook messenger? I need an app that works well to communicate between an android and an ios phone.

Attached: 1533009680321.gif (540x501, 1.56M)

Well this amd phenom x4 945 is quad core at 3.0ghz so should be alright. Will ram be an issue? 8 have a 2gb ddr3 1066 stick this enough for standard router shit?

Bought a redmi Note 5. What advantage would Nova Launcher bring me? Kind of Like MIUI but am open for cool shit

Whatsapp?

Just a heads up, friend. It happens to so many people, don't be surprised.

I like Telegram personally. WhatsApp is just more facebook. See wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software#Communications

>Sometimes you get gypped on HDMI cables.
SATA cables too. I've only ever bought 2 hard drives new in recent years, but neither one came with a cable.

>Phillips #2
Gotcha. Thanks.

>Intel stock heatsinks come with it pre-sprayed on (from description I'm assuming that's what you got)
I got a Ryzen AMD CPU which comes with a cooler unless I need both the cooler and the thermal paste.

>Windows 10 works out of the box
Awesome. All I needed to know.