Kindle Paperwhite

Im considering buying a paperwhite as an e-reader and im wondering what people's experiences are with kindles. Does it have any advantages over Kobo?

Attached: 41tW1MG862L._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microcenter.com/product/496689/TW110_116_Laptop_Computer_-_Black
youtu.be/gRyE8B5J4Nw?t=267
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No Kobo's are better in everyway and Kindles suck ass. Don't support enough formats and the ads and drm everywhere is the absolute worst

> Does it have any advantages over Kobo?

more botnet, but can enable flight mode

cheaper in black friday warehouse deals deal special offer sale deal of the day

Only thing it beats in Kobo is price during Prime Day. All other 364 days, Kobo wins.

how do you walk around with a kobo and not feel ashamed?

I loved mine so much but the screen broke. I'm gonna buy another one when it's on sale. I'm using an ipad now with the app; it sucks ass.

Honestly, it was one of the best things I've ever bought.

By reading books on it about not being ashamed.

Do you just want to read books?

Attached: frontlight.jpg (4626x4671, 2.03M)

Does the Note have lighting at all?

>This is a Boox N96ML. I don't know about the Note. This version does have a front light.
>pic related is in ambient light

Attached: ambient_light.jpg (1203x1383, 235K)

It's pretty good, durable display and decent enough memory

That's too dark. These things should be for text only. I feel tablets are best for manga.

its trash tier, i have a fucking jailbroken 300 ppi paperwhite v2 , i can use a fucking remote control and read my books like a roman king

> literally printed ink
> mangas are printed ink

mangas were made for eink you dumb nigger

>>mangas were made for eink you dumb nigger

No they were not. Tablets are better for official releases and scanlations. Tachiyomi on a samsung tab is infinitely better than the shit you have to do to read berserk on an kobo.

>like a Roman king

So paranoid and wind up murdered by your mates?

I like reading the shit JoJo's Colored Adventure does on tablets, but BW manga doesn't feel right on tablets.

Also Perfect Viewer > Tachiyomi. I use Tachiyomi only to download.

I mean it depends on the source material though. You can adjust the contrast too.

I have a Samsung J1 that I got free and installed tachiyomi. I use that to download manga, move that to my computer, then use an alias to zip them to cbz and drag them onto my e-reader. It's really not that hard. Plus I'm archiving my manga at the same time.

Attached: onyx_multiple.jpg (2817x2817, 2.24M)

Amazon BOTNET. Look for a different eReader

I do the same thibg. I use Tachiyomi to download the manga then transfer to my computer, zip them, and copy them to my Fire HD 10 and use Perfect Viewer. Paradise.

If your reader can read ZIP folders then there's no reason to convert to CBZ/CBR.

are kobo / boox for botnet free? left my old sony reader on a train and I literally just want to drag and drop my epubs from libgen

Kobo uses their own store and has Pocket pre-installed. Boox uses Google Play.

So no.

It should be noted that a backlight though very helpful shouldn't be your number one concern if you don't have the money for a higher priced reader.

This is my old Sony PRS-300. It actually has a better screen than the standard kindle and no backlight. However it is much slower. I read a lot on it.

Attached: 02EB5EAC-CE0F-4126-B2FC-C1D637607F26.jpg (4032x3024, 1.8M)

That's true. But in my OS it shows a preview picture of the file which is nice, plus the cbz filename is associated with a reader app. Functionally they are the same though, you're right.

well fuck.

the metal ones had a really nice feel. shame the screen on the 600 is terrible or I would go back to it.

>preview picture

Perfect Viewer does the same for me for ZIP folders. It's nice.

What's also nice about it is that it can split landscape scans in half so that you always have one page at a time. I also sharpen the images a bit since they're a bit blown up on my 10" tablet.
Also, you can autodetect the background so that the blank space on the reader is the same color as the manga's background. Lovely when the manga uses black backgrounds or other colors.

yes, they are litearlly just black and white, you can fix contrast easily

once eink displays hit 400 ppi they are undifferentiable from real ink

and then you just make a 9.7 inch manga reader eink and get rich off weebs

but thn again you are probably one of those retards advicing for the kobo so im not even going to bother with you kid

I'll check that out! my e-reader is 10 inches so maybe i'll benefit as well.

>make a 9.7 inch manga reader eink and get rich off weebs

lol and you think I'm the retarded one.

So what's the best eReader I can get with a big screen for reading mangas, comics and college stuff involving engineering graphics and source code without breaking the bank?

What's your budget?

Less than $300?
Can it be even less?
Can I get 13" or more?

Your only option is a cheap tablet or save another $500.

This.
Nice 8" ereaders start at $230, and those don't even come with a stylus.

Already have a good old Nexus 10 tablet, but I'd rather an eReader for reading during more hours without having eye strain

Big ones are like a $1000. Very few companies make them. One made them mainly for airline pilots because of all their technical manuals.

I got my onyx boox n96ml new for $350 plus a case. If you're willing to look for second hand deals, you can probably get one under $300. But if you want to use it for PDFs with large detail, then something larger than 8 inches is what you'll want. Kobo has some good offerings. I personally like the Boox series since it runs android(albeit 4.04) so it can use apps as well. The built in readers are surprisingly good with support for most major file types. But they can be quite costly, especially new. But I think of it as an investment. I pirate a lot of PDFs and manga so other than the initial cost, it's cheap in the long run. A 13.3 inch reader will probably set you back at least $700 USD. But the quality you'll get will be worth that price.

E-readers are so much easier on the eyes. Just because tablets have higher resolution, color and speed doesn't mean anything if you can't read on it for a long period of time. Plus they are more distracting with all the things they can do. An e-reader is better suited for business and study, and the occasional manga read.

>vid related is the speed of page turns. Quality of the vid is shit though

Attached: page_turn.webm (1000x1778, 1.83M)

Depends what you use it for.
I read paperbacks on a Kobo, and .pdf's on a Winbook 2-in-1:
microcenter.com/product/496689/TW110_116_Laptop_Computer_-_Black
The Kobo is far better than a Kindle or Nook for .pdf's but still shit for reading datasheets.

GOOD LORD HOW HAS NO ONE MENTIONED SCREEN COLOR TEMPERATURE ADJUSTMENT YET

Attached: P1040404.jpg (3648x2736, 1.55M)

How good is the Fire 10 for reading mangoo

Tell us more

Amazing!

You can adjust the color temperature on the screen so it's nicer on the eyes and doesn't inhibit melatonin production.
It's available on most of kobo's lineup, including the clara hd.
pretty neat desu
youtu.be/gRyE8B5J4Nw?t=267

It is just a 1080p ips screen. Not a very high quality one, but basically like any other computer monitor.

Attached: amazing.jpg (366x439, 36K)

holy shit kobo shills in this thread are unbelievable

No shit eh. I bought my kindle on amazon with a case for about $75. Perfect for reading books in the lunch room/during down times when I don't want to talk to co-workers

Get Kobo Clara HD and no need to mess with srupid programs just to convert epub to mobi. Plus Kobo has comfort light.

Attached: NovaFrontStanding-EN.jpg (960x960, 61K)

What this faggot said.
I mean, I got it for $100 on Prime Day with the intent of using it for western comics and the occasional colored mangoes. It's perfect for that. I use Perfect Viewer which can trim the white edges; with that and a few other settings, I honestly prefer it over paper. I don't have to zoom in at all, and with Google Play installed I can use shit like Twilight for reading at night in max comfy mode.

I was looking at similar tablets but couldn't find a reason to get them over a $100 Fire HD. 12" would be best but those prices don't seem worth it for just reading comics and shit. I also read magazine PDFs with minimal zooming.

I have a 2017 Oasis and I think it works pretty well. The main reason I got it over a Kobo is because Kobo's are so fucking slow by comparison.

Are there any readers that have an SD card slot anymore? The storage limits on these things are silly

I own a Kindle paperwhite since 5 years. Comfy as fuck, apart from the epub incompatibility problem.

I always turn on the flight mode. Yesterday, I see the adds Amazon send me changed while it is supposed to be offline.

Botnet intensifies.
I am gonna get rid of that shit.

I have a 5 year old paperwhite and still use it quite frequently. I like it, but i got it before Kobo really had a competition model with integrated backlight.

If i was buying one today i'd probably go for a Kobo instead.

That is likely because you plugged it into usb and it updated itself.

Paperwhite is five years old?

Lies, you can literally drag'n'drop on kobo with every format out there. It even supports microsd cards. Fuck off Amazon shill

I have old kindle paperwhite (2014 me thinks) and kobo aura one.
Kindle software seems to be better. But harder to jailbreak for custom wallpapers.
Kobo seems to have better hardware though (yet price ranges of my devices are not really comparable)

Does any Kindle Paperwhite come with a light that adjusts the blue light levels? Don't want to fuck up my circadian rhythms. Kobos have this kind of light filtering I understand

>Don't want to fuck up my circadian rhythms.
Listen to this fucking faggot.

Pretty good IFF jailbroken. Otherwise unusable shit if you want to read PDF (shit formatting and "out of RAM" crashes).

Ok if you only read e-books, but rather basic functionality that is constantly gimped.

Attached: IMG_20180817_100938.jpg (2400x3200, 1.83M)

Sadly, my prs300 broke recently, was good since i got it for free. Also, you should probably get a custom firmware on that.

Is that a new Harry Potter book?

Yes, "Harry Potter and the elder Gods". Highly recommend.

Oh it's just fanfic? Nvm

would it make sense to get an e-reader if I already own a 10" Android tablet, considering to use it for engineering technical books?
I mean what would be the other advantages beside e-ink is way more natural looking and softer for the eyes?

Your loss. Author is a bit racist, but the writing skills are excellent.

>use it for engineering technical books?
Has a lot of large graphs? No.
Has mostly text and formulas? Yes.

Way more pleasant for eyes, no visible "pixels", works for weeks with WiFi off.

mm.. so frequent drawings and graphs are a no-go? because of resolution?
Also, on large books (>900-1000pgs) would it take much for say, an average kindle, to turn pages? Ik it sounds like the dumbest question but sometimes both my laptop and the tablet take whole seconds to turn particularly loaded pages.

How does the Kobo resize PDFs? Because I loathe with passion how shitty it is on a kindle.

>so frequent drawings and graphs are a no-go?
Yes, because the screen is tiny for them and they are B/W
>Large books
Can you provide a link? On average, I think my Kindle always turns with the same speed, no matter what I'm reading.

>I loathe with passion how shitty it is on a kindle.
1. Jailbreak
2. Install koreader

Attached: IMG_20180817_121346.jpg (3200x2400, 1.78M)

Got a Kobo Glo HD on sale a few years ago. Pretty good for linear text, not so good for anything else.

like Springer's Handbook of Robotics
springer.com/it/book/9783540303015

Personal experience, math/physics texts are a pain to read in a kindle. No idea of other readers, the biggest shit about the kindle is that seems targeted at /lit/tards, and any graphics/equations heavy book is painful to read.

Ok, I'll check it in ~2-3 hours when I'm near a PC.

i see.. sucks because sometimes spending hours on the PC/tablet reading them takes its toll on the eyes

Damn nigga god tier book

I woudn't get one if you're primarily reading PDFs.

If you mostly read e-books (mobi, epub) and b/w Japanese comics then e-reader is pretty comfy. It's nice to relax and read some before going to sleep without the backlight keeping you up.

have a pirated copy?

Attached: 2018-08-17-15:24:05-screenshot.png (428x245, 25K)

yeah from libgen

thank you senpai

ikr? it's astounding the quantity of information packaged inside that tome

Got it from the libgen too, and yeah, an incredible amount of information but that its why is a handbook

>Italy
>(gross)

Attached: lmao.png (1280x1280, 1.65M)

Well, original Kindle reader lags like shit.
Koreader (jailbreak) works very fast.
I'll post webms soon.

so on the Kobo it's readable? what's the screen size?

I got one when impulse buying then realised I don't like books, working without a family is the best but it does weird shit to you

>i realised i don't like books
lmao how did you even not know it beforehand

I thought it would get me into reading books and I have nothing to spend money on now. I should be saving up money but I'm fucking stupid for impulse buying.

WTF? I'm posting video

Attached: 2018-08-17-15:48:50-screenshot.png (420x89, 7K)

Koreader without reflow

Attached: koreader.webm (1280x720, 277K)

Koreader with reflow and scroll mode.

Attached: koreader_reflow.webm (1280x720, 595K)

I bought one to read books but ended up reading manga and hentai on it.

>Botnet intensifies.

could have been updated earlier and they set the date when new ad should apear

idont believe they are that smat -> botnet intensiefied

Kindle's internal piece of shit.

Attached: kinble.webm (1280x720, 286K)

Oh and it doesn't "blink" every page by default, but I forced full refresh every page as I hate "unclean" text

I have the 2013 model and can say for sure that the one in the webm is from 2012 because mine ain't that fucking slow.

very nice! how does it display graphs and formulas?

Nah, mine is at least the second generation(can't screenshot the about page, so here's the photo).
Have you checked with the same book? The internal reader is also prone to crashing due to insufficient RAM.

Attached: IMG_20180817_155845.jpg (2400x3200, 1.59M)

Not bad, I think.
Reflow on the left, regular view on the right.

It that looks good to you, buy a reader that allows to install stuff like Koreader without Jailbreak.

Attached: graphs_formulas.png (1516x2048, 407K)

>Reflow on the left, regular view on the right.
Sorry, other way around.

very very nice
what would you suggest for the cheapest price?