Is this the pinnacle of heatsink design?

>fanless
>minimal obstruction to airflow
>cheapish
>looks good
why hasn't others copy the design?

Attached: 1523980157817.jpg (700x1316, 451K)

Other urls found in this thread:

silentpcreview.com/article1440-page6.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

But does it actually work?

Looks neat but pretty sure any AIO will shit all over this.

so this will cool an Atom I guess?

a stock heat sink would shit on it.

no way is that cooling a Pentium

Attached: 1506967764812.jpg (425x282, 152K)

its fuck huge.

We've seen it before user

Attached: 1509055470871.jpg (600x337, 78K)

Any benchmarks of that thing? Are the tubes hollow with a special chinesium gas inside them or just solid?

>pic sort of related
1D rod heat transfer courtesy of wikipedia

Attached: Heat_Transfer.gif (360x229, 1.04M)

it's pretty good silentpcreview.com/article1440-page6.html

do you understand how AIOs work user

passive coolers cost like 5-10 times more

that thing is only $50

God damn I fucking hate when coolers are so large they expand over the fucking extra ram slots. I can only access two of my 4 slots because of this horseshit which leaves me stuck at 16gb when I'd ideally prefer to have 32gb for better VM performance.

AIOS come with fans. But if you added fans to this heatsink it should perform fairly well.

Those are just mini heat pipes? It lacks copper fins to go with it. Maybe it could outperform one of those larger heatsink/fan options if paired with a fan and added fins

It's from Korea.

just get LP ram and leave that gaymur, 4 inch RGB heatspreader shit at the door.

Attached: DSC_0014.jpg (3840x2160, 1.93M)

Because it's shit, do you even know how heatsinks work? You need to maximize surface area, and this has got as much surface area as you have brain mass.

>tfw your brain mass is 2d

surface area impedes airflow though

looks like trash, probably performs like trash

Normally yes, but that's only because traditional heatsinks are made to transfer heat via conduction.

There are some new weird looking heatsinks like pic related and OP's one that work with convection, the idea is that that weird design traps the air inside the sink, funky shit happens, and the wire cools itself insanely efficiently.

Is like a super air cooler, using the dynamics of hot air vs cool air to cool the chip faster.

Attached: heatsink.jpg (300x310, 35K)

I need this for my phone.

hello double the price, didn't see you come in

because this is a fanless design, the moment you are willing to use a fan, a heat pile and fin works better. and I think that thing is limited to 65watt tdps if not less.

You can get an NH-D14 for 50$.

Its rated for 80w.

check again user

>wanting that overpriced pos

but it's not overpriced, it's $50.

I have this with a 6100T. Maximum is 45 degrees and 36W total, maybe 26W CPU. Its fine. Worst part is PCH, video or motherboard components not getting air circulation due no fan.

>All those /lgbt/ fans
kys

Not the guy you're replying to but everything from Noctua is overpriced. Every single thing they produce is overpriced. There are no exceptions.

they should stick a fan in that thing i mean its silly having so many designs and weird cooling options when you would hope humanity has worked this stuff out by now to be optimal

This isn't even my final form
>> fanless
>> the best structure a computer found(so far) for dissipating heat
>>H.R. Gigeresque
>> has to be summoned into existence by making sacrifices to the eldritch gods

Attached: 1-s2.0-S0017931015307365-gr8.jpg (744x669, 133K)

>his heatsink requires non-euclidean geomtry to design and produce

I stared into the void and the void stared back

Attached: DHS2.png (1142x760, 896K)

that looks like coral

Langton's Heatsink

Sacrifice your children, the old ones hunger!

Attached: wp1.jpg (588x441, 32K)

The computer knows

Attached: 1-s2.0-S0017931017336190-mmc2.jpg (311x343, 36K)

By computers for computers. By computers for computers. By computers for computers

Attached: md_137_11_111403_f008.png (800x629, 752K)

You could still put a fan on top of that.

That would still need a fan. A rather strong one.

Why don't we use Thermoelectric heatsinks?

Ḥ̵̡̬̠͎͖̝̈́͆̆͋̽̿ͫ̌ͪ̽̈́ͭ͌͑̂͑̐ͨ̀͢ͅE̛̬̙͍̠̘̥͌̔͒̑͂̈̃͛̾̑̽͐͛̏̚̕͠ ̡̣̙͓̞͇͎̫̪̺̰̱̱̙̯̱̿ͬ́ͨ̂ͯ͆͂̊̓͋͜͡ͅͅC̸̨̧̝̭̖͔͙̱̙̦͎͚̠̳̱̤̏̇͗̌̂ͩͮ̆̇͒̐̀O̳̮̻̘̯̤͙̖̬̼͆̆ͨ́͘M̸̹̫̫͓͙̤̖̝̖͖͕͉̺͓̣͍̥͂̏ͧ̿̀́͠ͅẸ̸̛̛̹̯͈̞̩̯̞̱͇ͬ̃ͪ̆ͩ̃̓ͣ͑̈͐̉̄̌̄̚̚S̷̵̘̺̗̱̮̰̓̏ͧ̐ͣ̓ͤ

Don't. It will open a portal from which beings beyond the stars will pass.

Attached: Numerical-modeling-of-natural-convection-around-horizontal-reference-heat-sink.png (850x750, 249K)

A fucking coral.

Wait can't you just put that in a tube with some liquid to turn it into something like the water coolers?

expensive ≠ overpriced

Literally every heatsink works by convection, fanless heatsinks work by natural convection which is horrible compared to forced convection with a fan

dont do holes in it, it makes it much more costlier to tool for

Remove the heatsink of your RAM, it's a meme anyways.

more like by conduction but whatevs

The express purpose of a heatsink is to transfer heat to the surrounding medium aka air (or water, which is just an intermediary until the radiator), sure the heatsink is conductively coupled to the CPU but the reason the device is installed in the first place is to improve conductive cooling over just having a bare die.

>Are the tubes hollow with a special chinesium gas inside them or just solid?
>He doesn't know what a heatpipe looks like

That's zero though because it means the brain is infinitely thin

>tfw your CPU is infected with 'brain' eating fungus

the heating up of a medium through direct contact from hot metal is conduction. if the air/water were to heat things up other objects then those objects would be heated by convection.

corals actually need maximum surface area for nutrient exchange via surface cells, and have been evolving for millenia i think they got it down pat

It's interesting how it was getting more spiky at first but then smoothed out. I was hoping for some fractal cooler.

>Use it beside GTX 480
OH NO NO NO NO

parts don't get hot enough

for coral - maximum nutrient exchange
for radiators - maximum heat exchange

But that;s not a heatpipe, so it is worse

coral have heatpipes

>expensive ≠ overpriced
Strange, well that's what 99.9% apple user says about apple product.

>The world is binary.

There are definitely products that offer the same thing for too much money - for most things, Apple falls under this category, as competitors offer the same or more for less money.

I don't know about Noctua's coolers, but its fans are long living, move a lot of air at low noise. They are almost unrivalled in this sense, thus deserving their higher price.

Also, expensive is an entirely subjective value judgement. Not everything that is expensive is also overpriced.

>buy generic ddr4 2400 cl17
>1.4v, overclock 3000cl17
>temps fine
you dont need ram heatsinks unless you pump like 1.7v dude

Speaking of passive, I've been looking at the Thermalright Macho Rev.B/Zero and how it would run semi passive (only the rear case next to it as exhaust). What's Jow Forums's experience with these, and would I still see an improvement in temps while semi passive compared to what I have now (currently running a Cryorig M9i on a 4790).

Attached: 814256001021.jpg (800x800, 162K)

This, current RAM runs at voltages so low they don't really need heatsinks unless running insane OC.

You are better off with a CPU fan and no exhaust fan than the other way around.

Look up the Stefan-Boltzmann law. Power radiated is proportional to surface area and the temperature difference to the power 4
Power α Area * (T_R^4-T_A^4).
So ideally you want to maximise surface are and increase the temperature difference. Flat plate radiators have a lot more surface area than that radiator and fans strapped to the radiator will increase temperature difference.
There is no reason to not have convection in a heatsink. So no, that thing is not the pinnacle of heatsink design.

Radiative cooling is fucking irrelevant

it's relevant to have a fanless design if you don't want a fan

CONVECTION. Its been years since I did heat transfer
Q_bar α Area * (T_a - T_b)

you are going to have no fans in your machine? Whats one more fan?

tfw ryzen doesn't need a big ass heatsink to play games

so we just need more coral and we can stop global warming, right?

We should install this all over the ocean, adds corals and cools off the earth

Reminds me of this

The quality of noctua fans is second to none, and they always include lots of mounting equipment, extension leads, y-splitters, adapters, basically anything you might need for a pc build. Also, if you have a Noctua cooler and buy a new motherboard that has a different mounting system for the cpu-cooler they will send you an adapter at no cost so you can use your old cooler. Noctua is the anti-Apple.

Another thing proportional to power 4 is drag on airflow through a duct (like between the fins of a packed radiator). I suspect necessary airflow given minuscule pressure differences is part of the reason for this design. Or tl;dr maximized total air mass flow being preferable.

He has no clue what he's talking about. Heat conductance and convection do not work under stefan-boltzmann law, it's about radiative heat transfer between two black bodies

>between two black bodies
Called the Bogdanoffs for this one

why are they not selling it?

it performs worse than OP's one

yea, but they unironically spent an autistic amount of money on the shipping box.
Some marketing genius once found out that People will spent more money on two identicall products if the box looks nice.
For Simple case fans, Be-quiet Silent wings will do better as they produce less static pressure.

Attached: 98741978497.jpg (800x800, 47K)

>hold my beer

Attached: 5367547654645.jpg (474x320, 19K)

>autistic
>making money hand over fist
pick one

For the most part people don't buy what's good, they buy what they think looks good. That heatsink looks like a coffee filter.

>Literally every heatsink works by convection
You don't know what "convection" means, do you.

user still needs to get the heat out of the case. Only having a CPU fan would just move the heat around inside the case and hope some would escape out the top. user would probably be best served with 2 fans (one on the CPU one intake case fan) plugged into a controller that would let him set the RPM as low as possible.

Looks lke it would be much easier to clean than a standard heatsink. Needs a fan to be practical, tho

Steve Jobs managed both.

just use a big case fan

I have a feeling you don't, literally every industry article refers to dumping heat into ambient air as convection, of course the interface effect between copper and air is conduction but the general idea is that you move air through the device taking heat with it.

Hmm.... maybe. In my mind a fan moving air isn't convection.

This is true

>user would probably be best served with 2 fans (one on the CPU one intake case fan) plugged into a controller that would let him set the RPM as low as possible.
This is also true.

Fully passive cooling is a massive investment and huge detriment to performance. It's the whole "diminishing returns" thing. Lowering your computer's noise from 50 to 40 dB is pretty easy; run the CPU cooler a little slower. 40 to 30 is more difficult; you may need an entirely new CPU cooler with a larger heat sink and (maybe) larger fan. 30 to 20 is essentially "very quiet" to "silent" - this requires huge sacrifices in performance to pick off those last few dB.

Put another way, the airflow from a 300 RPM fan in a computer with almost no airflow will produce a huge drop in temperatures; adding that same amount of airflow to an already well-ventilated case (or cooler) will barely change them at all.

Pic related, specifically the left side of the Dark Rock 4 and Quad Lumi. See how the temperatures dramatically rise once you get down to the ~silent noise levels? That's the cost of stopping the final 2 or 3 dB of noise.

Attached: delta vs noise.png (1925x1080, 105K)

>these fans will do better as they produce less static pressure.
I don't like Noctua either but are you sure less static pressure is better?

for case fans it doesnt matter. CFM is more important, but honestly that doesnt matter that much too. Mine are rated for about 50cfm but up untill ~70° on the R9 390 housefire they run on the absolute minimum rpms they can do and above never go over 50%
Think of it. back in the old days we didn't have case fans, only the top mounted PSU with its shitty 80mm fan.
Semi passive kills the fan bearing. Fluid dynamic as in all silent fans do only encounter wear at the spin up, (HDDs hate frequent spin up too)

Static pressure is good for Heat sinks and Radiators, as air has the resistance of the fins to overcome.
For case and PSU fans the only relevant metric is Noise.
My WD green is literally the loudest part in my rig
Sacrificing Inaudible cooling for superb temperatures is autistic