ARM is beating Intel at its own game: laptops

ARM is beating Intel at its own game: laptops.
engadget.com/2018/08/16/arm-says-chips-will-outperform-intel-laptop-cpus/
Qualcomm is making progress as well. Both companies are expected to reach 7 and 5nm before Intel. What do you have to say for yourselves, Intel shillposters?

Attached: arm-compute-roadmap-2020.jpg (1600x734, 179K)

ARM ThinkPad when
i'd like a smol 12" laptop wtih trackpoint and infinite battery life

>have a slope that's almost the same as your competitors
>just put your own projections way higher with no basis
okay

Marketing bullshit is cheap. I'll believe it when I see it.

Funny enough, reading AT's article[1] about it, they explicitly stated that one of the biggest performance improvements in the A76 is that it has a better SIMD implementation, so it sounds like ARM is literally pulling an Intel because AVX-512 is oh so important.

[1]

ARM is RISC; it's obvious it is capable of surpassing x86. Not to mention the superior performance per WATT, so they can just scale it up to use same power and therefore better performance

Sorry, wrong article. is the right one.

>ARM is RISC; it's obvious it is capable of surpassing x86.
lol, meanwhile looking over at the braniac thinktank that is LTT, they actually believe that ARM is intrinsically slower because "RISC is simpler".

It would be nice if ARM actually tried to design a laptop/desktop ready core.

Who cares. ARM is still a patented ISA that needs to be licensed, and not in the royalty-free sense. I'll be holding my excitement for RISC-V laptops.

They probably realize that it would never sell because muh windows.

Holy fuck yes!
We need this. RISC-V too. x86 should’ve been depreciated a long ass time ago.

Full windows runs on arm these days

>x86 should’ve been depreciated a long ass time ago.
It pretty much was, since even Intel wanted to replace it with IA64. If anything, it was AMD who "saved" x86.

reminder ARM is a Japanese company now. Indians BTFO

Of course, but the only reason ever to use Windows -- the applications -- don't.

>Indians
Wat? ARM was always British.

softbank bought arm

They do under the built in x86-32 emulation

>when you get all your knowledge from pop tech articles and perusing wikipedia

Attached: 1395126086232.jpg (640x480, 62K)

Yes, but the weren't Indian prior to being bought.

>x86-32 emulation
Hahahaha, hahaha. That's funny, user.

>what is Intel

and then we have the fun war of a company dictating what instruction gets used, rather than the current state of backwards compatibility, or did you forget IA64 broke fucking everything before it

>or did you forget IA64 broke fucking everything before it
...how were you planning to deprecate x86 without breaking programs compiled for it?

Intel tried to kill x86 at least twice, iAPX 432 was an earlier attempt which also failed spectacularly.

Yeah, I guess you can count the i860 as well.

And see, this is why we ended up with our current x86 botnet duopoly situation. Because most people use proprietary software, and proprietary windows software is only made for x86, changing anything that would break compatibility with any of that would be a massive failure. And so we soldier on with this rotting corpse of an ISA, unable to change our ways until very recently, as all the new vulnerabilities are starting to light a fire under some asses.

fuck
windows

What an utter brainlet