Why is gnome the most used de

why is gnome the most used de

Attached: core_dump.png (289x289, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=565797
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because of this one man

Attached: downloadfile-2.jpg (345x418, 120K)

comes 'stock' with a lot of distros

Because it's made by Red Hat.

It used to be the de facto DE until GNOME 3 when it was ruined by leftists. KDE is where it's at.

I just need a run/start function and the terminal with somekind of window manager. Be it i3 or the minimal lxde

Gnome has always been the standard de, and it ships with most distros. Its also the worst.

Gnome 2 though...
>Cracks open a Monster
>Sips
Those were the mother fucking days. Fight me.

Same reason systemd is the most used init system, grub is the most used bootloader, glibc is the most used C library, blah blah blah.

HEHEHEHE
I

Install Mate

Why does Reddit love kde so much?

Season one wasn't even bad.
Season 2 was (less) okay
Season 3 I haven't seen because I got bored a couple episodes in.

Because it comes default with Ubuntu

testing my notification daemon

test

test1

Test

Test

test

Foo

It's good enough if you install a few extensions.

It also handles multi monitor setups and remembers which screen is where at which dpi when I dock/undock to different places with different screen layouts. Can't say this for most DEs.

Bar

Why is windows the most used consumer OS?
Because consumers will always take shit instead of a better product.

>windows the most used consumer OS
that would be Android

Retard

It's kinda easy on the eyes
I hate the sidebar tho, and the topbar has weird scaling on some monitors

Whos this?

wangblows kids BTFO

normies just like flashing colors a lot. it doesnt matter if it's horrible, just flash multiple colors brightly in front of them, they'll clap like retards.
also that glassy look and dark mode is enough to make them pay shitloads of money to whatever software you make.

Normies love the ipad interface

lennard pottery

Because even though it's bad, it's not as bad as KDE.

The real crime here is that the majority uses DE's instead of WM's.

Mr. Reddit

Since you've already seen the second season, I'll say you should probably watch through the third, when you have time.
It's got the best two episodes of television I've seen in my life so far.
It gets a little boring after that, but goddamn, those two episodes make it worth it.

I know what episodes you are talking about but battle of the bastards is better

because works and is ergonomic, I like to push a button, write a name and find the app even though I don't know exactly the name of the app, so my workflow doesn't stop even a bit
linus torvalds, the infamous kernel developer
recommend me a tiling wm that has keybinds for sound and brightness AND a popup showing the level of volume/brightness, then I'll switch. Or a script for i3-gaps whatever

This
GNOME3 is what peak performence looks like
Also it's highly customizable and easy to get into

>"highly customizable"
You mean you need to install 40 extensions before it becomes somewhat usable.

Well, it works for me with like 5 basic extensions
Different solutions for different people

>Dash to Dock

Done.

So I see you're running GNOME! I'm on KDE myself, I know this DE is supposed to be better but you know what they say...old habits...they die hard.

Attached: 1529474209621.png (542x749, 582K)

How much would Jow Forums implode if he said i3 instead?

*sips*
Dwarf, now that's a de
*sips*

Attached: 9e1.png (1920x1080, 305K)

WMs are autistic

While obviously a suboptimal desktop DE, it is the best Linux has to offer in terms of touchscreen operation.

How can he sips laying on his bed moron

my favorite part are those who spend all this time trying to make their gnome look exactly like an alternative that already exists (budgie, kde, etc)

Exactly.

Because Gnome 2 was god-tier but somehow they fubar'd Gnome 3.

For a moment I thought you were referring to the Gnome versions.

Because in computing inferior tech always wins.
Seriously, I fail to come up with exceptions beyond obviously retarded stuff like 9 bit bytes.

it isn't

Attached: survey.png (765x247, 32K)

It's the closest to the official one. I think it was also one of the first.

Rami Malek playing a character named Elliot Alderson in a show called Mr. Robot

Attached: 1526375861270.gif (710x828, 21K)

Attached: 1521547237792.jpg (320x320, 34K)

Attached: 1521447315986.jpg (497x424, 45K)

No desktop environment speak to me desu. Some use the OS X dock, others the windows taskbar style, up or down, and others an amalgamation of taskbar/dock and some shitty start-like button and in some cases even a dark stripe above with the date or some shit

WHY ARE ALL OF THEM SO BAD?!!

is there an environment that specialices in letting the user see the entire program on the screen, without other interferences, and if you call a dashboard it has to be minimalistic as well????

I think not.

It's 2018 and Gnome devs STILL haven't added thumbnail preview

os x

Isn't Gnome made originally by the GNU project? If GNU/Linux is the OS then it would make sense that the GNU DE would be considered the default and therefore more used. Pretty sad choice.

I might rewatch the whole thing this weekend then.
Thanks.

Meant for

i3 and polybar toggle

And they won't add it.
The typical answer to feature request goes like this when it comes to Gnome devs
>why would you need that?

Attached: SwedenYES.webm (640x360, 1.33M)

>when the webm is 3 seconds too long

It's part of the GNU Project.

>be GNOME
>see your source
> geez, have to fix all those bugs?
>idea.jpg
>remove bugs' source
> we'll say it's a feature :^)

unironically like 3 but only for the meta>overview button and maybe the tracker search
too bad it's full of bugs and homofags

GNOME is literally the best DE in terms of window management, workflow and accessibility BUT in practice works like crap.

>in practice works like crap
and you can see why
>they spend their money on meme inclusion outreaches (probably just a way to steal the cash for themselves)
>they don't fix bugs - even for core applications like the file manager or simple ones like a separator in their gtk2 theme adwaita
>instead they remove the whole thing altogether
>but they still find time to make superficial UI ''''improvements'''' like the recent control center regression

>they still find time to make superficial UI ''''improvements''''
just to justify an update

all the extensions are unnecessary and garbage apart from the official ones

there aren't even 40 extensions available fag

the answer is dwm

that's not even that pressing of a bug
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=565797

I really like GNOME 3. More than gnome 2.

I use gnome and I always use programs in fullscreen mode. I use super + j/k to move beetweeen workspaces and super + f to fullscreen windows

Yeah, correct way to proceed, if you ask from me.

Because it's the default on most distros.

Literally KDE with autohide panel, you can even remove some widgets if a start button, open window list, systray and clock are too much for you

>m-muh leftist boogeyman!
It's shit because it's open source and developed by hobbyists. Acknowledging your incompetence is the first step on the road to improvement. Do what you want with this advice.

Shitty distros force that crap, and most people are retarded enough not to think about replacing it with something sane.

Becuase it's the best DE, even if the developers are retards.

tfw I don't even use an extension
thanks I used this on kali and forgot about it

30y old power

Okay.. I will list my reasons why I use GNOME 3 atm:

1. awesome usability with keyboard alone, easy and fast to learn commands to move around windows, start stuff and such

2. best touch usability of all DEs I tried.. yea I got a convertible laptop and like to use it while slacking and not boot into windows for touch UI that is sensible

3. virtual desktops how I like em

4. quite nice design, personal taste ofc

what I don't like about it: horrible ram footprint, fscking tracker uses insane amounts of CPU cycles (had to turn it off), expansions break down on updates, hdpi scaling stuck on integer multiplication (100%, 200%, 300% ... )

still best alternative

forgot to mention its actually quite stable

Attached: 39621fc6d4e8d7042fddeacd39dcd59f76e97a3ce0e7a9c9f34dbc51f1fe8b4f.jpg (960x720, 52K)

Attached: pic4.png (322x328, 113K)

you could accomplish that with any de if autohide is what you want. i dont know why you would use kde over something else since it uses 8 times as much ram as xfce4 for example

Except that's wrong. KDE has been beating XFCE in terms of low RAM usage recently

closing everything my xfce4 install (on xubuntu mind you, in debian xfce4 uses far less) its using 400 megabytes and "17 percent" of my swap. i dont know what the latter means, xubuntu doesn't even make a swap partition so i assume its just caching to disk all the same but i dont know how much 17 percent is. anyways how much is your base kde5 install? i tried in kubuntu and installing kde5 on xubuntu at one point and it was near 2 gigabytes idle, i couldn't have a web browser or a game open at the same time it was using up so much ram. is it far less ram expensive on lighter distros?

It uses 545mb idle on Arch for me
2GB sounds like a 4 year old version of KDE. It did use to be that bad

I got my system down to 450MB on Gentoo with a full KDE suite as well as my autistic and apparently quite RAM-hungry JACK+PulseAudio setup

is this by any chance a more "base" kde5? i have been wanting to go back to kde5 but i thought ram usage was a lot worse. i tried to use it no more than a few months ago

I'm KDE myself, but GNOME is way superior tbqh.

I like your style my bro.

The best UI experience on GNU/Linux is using a minimal WM and configuring all your stuff how you want. Every pre-built DE is just lacking in some way or another. I'm honestly surprised that none of them seem to take some of the nicer features of i3wm and integrate them. e.g. changing focus between windows and moving them around all from the keyboard, being able to fullscreen any particular window, and some sort of auto tiling mode so you don't have to work to rearrange your windows to fit more than one on screen efficiently.

THIS,
tracker is the only thing that can have a lot of cpu usage so I disable it when on battery, I wish I was smart to make a script but I don't know what variable identifies if its on battery

>GNU/Linux
Linux