There are other still more toxic elements of the linux community that want to act like as knowledge gatekeepers

>There are other still more toxic elements of the linux community that want to act like as knowledge gatekeepers
>These guys act like installing Arch Linux is some kind of great personal accomplishment

Attached: sss.png (955x617, 709K)

But Arch has an enormous wiki. Is this another sour grapes Debian fag projecting?

It also has a lot of faggot elitist users. You GNU here?

Attached: 1507445982437.jpg (628x625, 111K)

It's more like "don't bully newfriends normalfags" and "don't bully incompetent devs for shitty ports".

I agree it’s a problem. The “RTFM” mentality is outdated and isn’t helping GNU/Linux’s marketshare. However, I do have a problem with people dumbing down the system itself. Such developments compromise the OS, both in terms of feature removal, and in terms of possibly sneaking in Normie-friendly botnet integrations (can’t wait till Gnome tells you to “sign in with Facebook!”)

In short, the OS shouldn’t be friendlier. The community should be.

if linux were user-friendly and accessible you autists wouldn't use it. fact.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>there are anons that think installing gentoo is an accomplishment
congratulations! you have patience

>patience
see: autism

I bet it is an accomplishment for most of Jow Forums

Attached: 1526530280146.jpg (1095x662, 126K)

This is also the guy that said performance doesn't matter when confronted with the fact that video drivers on Linux universally run a bit slower. He could have just said that he'd accept the performance loss, but instead he made some emotional argument that it performance isn't a big factor when it comes to gaming.

It was never an accomplishment to install Arch.

this.

I have to wonder why we need to keep dumbing down personal computer systems. Computer illiteracy will remain as long as the mentality remains that we need to dumb down the classroom for jimmy the retard. Fuck that shit, either jimmy learns to stop eating the pencils or jimmy gets the boot imo.

I will admit at first it was hard to understand even Ubuntu but now i can talk to my computer through the Bourne Again SHell and get shit done at much greater efficiency then if i stuck with wangblows for another year. On top of that everything runs faster, i know what the fuck is happening behind the GUI, etc. Linux is the system kids should learn, windows genuinely has nothing going for it except walled gardens and GAYmes.

No, the os should be friendlier, If I install it, it should look at what I have, and be done with it, get the shit I need to run, and be up and running.

I should never have to go to the command line for a single fuckign aspect if I dont want to.

>being able to read and follow the guide is an accomplishment
The funny thing is that, for most people, it actually is.
For some people simply reading and follow the instruction is hard.
Really makes you think.

What is wrong with telling people to read the manual?

>doing something you have never done before can seem daunting even with directions
wow what retarded people amirite?

>instantly giving up on any minor challenge is alright
yeah, let's spoonfeed everyone.

Nothing, but our response to someone coming to us for help should be more helpful and nice than “RTFM, you fucking retard” or something to that effect. Try to directly address the problem, while also politely explaining that they could’ve found this in the manual. Hell, you could just copypasta from the manual itself as your response

Nothing wrong with RTFM but being a toxic fuck is childish. Wendell is a good dude.

Attached: 1528563856063.jpg (507x476, 66K)

I use it because it is user-friendly and accessible

What now?

Attached: 1533950986282.png (602x500, 26K)

Anyhing that goes mainstream goes to shit. Elitism is a good thing.

Don't tell other people how to act. Speak for yourself, you overbearing freakazoid.
What does "toxic" even mean in this sense?

True, but at the same things that don't grow will just die.
It's not so simple.

>What does "toxic" even mean in this sense?
hurting other people's fefes, like bullying retards or incompetent devs.

this guy referenced arch linux forums and wiki to explain gpu passthrough
he even said you can get it to work on arch linux with b350 chipsets

turns out he didn't get it to work i guess?

RTFM has been the motto of computing for almost half a century.
The walled garden of discord and facebook world is huge and only expanding. If that's what you want then go embrace it.
Hobbyist shit doesn't need to get easier. If you want to learn then read, watch a video, don't expect to be spoonfed. Ask intelligent questions that show you put in the smallest amount of effort.
The whole argument is fucking retarded anyway regarding distros. There are dozens of them for every competency level.

As a user of Ubuntu as a tool for doing things other than configuring Ubuntu, I disagree. It's nice having official support for things.

>discord is expanding
Well maybe irc should stop sucking

>watch a video
You are literally part of the problem.

No, it's telling people to stop being faggots because they could follow a wiki to do something like installing Arch, it doesn't make then better than anyone else (I say this as an Arch user. It's fucking simple to install)

>videos are bad
Someone explain this tripfag’s autism

>These guys act like installing Arch Linux is some kind of great personal accomplishment
To be honest... with how it is, installing Arch Linux is regarded as a personal achievement to me.

>watching talks from the conference makes you part of the problem
dumb tripfag

i don't give a fuck
I'll take someone who looks up a video about how to install firefox on windows over someone on Jow Forums that does the "make a post crying about how much something sucks to get free tech support " shit any day of the week

Conference talks discuss new technology, his implication was clearly skewed towards instructional videos, nearly all of which are youtube bullshit like Linus tech tips or some autistic pajeet typing shit in notepad.

>his implication was clearly skewed towards instructional videos
No, you just assumed that.
>Conference talks discuss new technology
Not necessary. Most of the time it's just novel ways of using existing technology.

archfats BTFO

Attached: Arch xorg.png (381x399, 29K)

people with easily hurt feelings get upset when people dont spoonfeed them and tell them to figure it out themselves.

Attached: rtfm.jpg (527x506, 51K)

Go use a mac then faggot. Products already exist for the lowest common denominator that you are a part of.

No, Linux is going to change, objectively good ui design is a thing, don't be a retard you idiot

Please do the needful and kill yourself.

>novel ways of using existing technology
Literally means the same fucking thing dude.

>get told to RTFM
>"manual" is decade-old forum posts that may or may not be behind a paywall and have dead links

Attached: 1522544334225.jpg (728x518, 208K)

>not installing dpkg and using aptitude instead of pacman

What is "man" for 500 alex.

Well, luckily with a good user-friendly distribution you don't have to.

While I wouldn't recommend either of them to a computer noob, I've found Gentoo to be much friendlier than Windows.

man foo
Description: foo - some really basic shit
Usage: foo -[dkwvxusbrFAYRISLg]
And then descriptions of the command options but no indication whatsoever of what they should be trying first.
I'm whith you in that people should RTFM, but at least make the manual not some esoteric shit all the time.

Not all manuals are shit. Plus wikis exist. Arch wiki is pretty great to understand the nitty gritty of things. Though people too dumb to be bothered to look up basic documentation and expect to be gifted the answer possibly said 1000 times over happens almost with every community. Warframe and elite dangerous come to mind. Id personally say this attitude came from windows and the fact that when anything goes awry you google the base description of the problem. The documentation included is simply too basic and watered down to even bother reading.

until you want to do anything more then look at the internet and what a shock, what you did doesnt work, now the only way to fix it is command line and sifting through assholes like

as it stands for me, I will likely move off windows and move to linux with a full screen windows vm instead because with linux I can sandbox windows, and with windows i'm not hampered but bullshit thats that you can only fix if you know what you need to fix is specifically called

>until you want to do anything more then look at the internet and what a shock, what you did doesnt work, now the only way to fix it is command line
ummmmm no sweetie

Actually in many cases it’s too complex and broad, covering every single option, context, and term that exists in the thing. What many people want is a tutorial, or at least something that’s organized around common tasks one might want to perform

>sweetie
DIE

>he doesn't know about the GUI options in real distros such as openSUSE

Attached: 1532705145189.jpg (680x680, 69K)

I think ubuntu studio came out with a huge manual with tutorials with setting up JACK and whatnot so theres a start. As for basic installation of nonfree packages like broadcom-wl or grafix most distros have a step by step instruction on how to get them running quickly. Youtube is also a good resource for these things as most vids unlike windows tutorials dont feature mush mouthed pajeets and EDM.

Yast is pretty neato. Bit of a learning curve since i have always used aptitiude but its nice.

Not an argument, cuck faggot, go play with the other children

I first switched because it was faster and easier than Vista on my hardware.

And the inexcusable retards that bother to reply while essentially saying "LOL I'M NOT TELLING U!" are probably a large reason why an operating system that is $0 makes up a microscopic portion of the consumer PC market share despite decades of development and most if not all of the functionality of Windows/Mac. Certainly enough functionality to be the Facebook machine that most people want. That, and all of the free office suites being kind of shit.

The eternal problem is windows babies expect to be spoonfed, and most people in the GNUL community hate spoonfeeding. So windows babies stay on windows and LInux has slow growth.

Attached: d5uneIz.png (518x517, 23K)

Do not worry user, arch cannot get any more shit anyway.

underrated

Essentially. The downside being that anyone that does any real work has to use Windows or Mac at some point to use some proprietary software package necessary to perform aforementioned work. The same goes for vidya and graphic/sound design shit. There will always be a necessity to have windows until the market share for Linux grows sufficiently large that not developing for the platform makes things much less profitable. Though I suppose the obese manchildren that go to Linux support forums to actively tell people about how they aren't going to help them don't do a whole lot of actual work.

The thing that Windows and Mac have going for them is that they'll pay some Indian to sit on a tech support line and deal with the 85 y/o woman who can't open their web browser because they accidentally dragged the desktop icon into the trash can, or they can't figure out how to unmute their audio after hitting the wrong keyboard button. Imagine how """helpful""" the Linux community would be with a few dozen queries like that popping up every day.

The only inexperienced people that actually use any Linux distro are those that were explicitly set up with it by a friend or family member that uses it and can serve as a line of support if things go wrong. While it keeps the community at a higher base knowledge level, it really stunts the OS as a whole. Not to say that a lot of distros aren't incredibly user friendly, but a friendly UI is a small fraction of the OS being user friendly in a general sense. Being able to deal with issues that pop up with literally zero knowledge about how anything works under the hood is just as important.

meh, windows software on linux is mostly there with just a bunch of edge cases.
The other problem is, windows babies have absolutely zero patience. If things don't work exactly how they want and it takes more than a few clicks to fix it, they get flustered and rage quit.

Attached: 1521742690424.png (841x724, 520K)

unironnically based

>beginner/noob
Ubuntu, Mint, Manjaro

>lifeless wageslave
Debian, RedHat, SLES, CentOS

>top tier hacker and serious devops
Arch, Gentoo

this picture is plain imagination. no one who uses arch does have anybody to meet with.

>toxic
And that's one of the words where you know that you don't have to listen/read the rest.

Attached: advice.png (700x439, 24K)

It's certainly better than it was. I wouldn't be so optimistic as to call them edge cases. There's not an office building in the world that doesn't use MS Office to some extend, or Adobe something. Sure, there's usually an "equivalent" on Linux, but they're effectively a decade of development behind the program that they're copying in their UI and features. There's no substitute for market share when it comes to getting developer attention. Well... except for a wad of cash, but that ball is also firmly in MS and Apple's court.

Debian is popular and good

>I don't like word so the argument is void
I would expect nothing less from this board.

>archcucks think following a wiki and myriad of instructional videos on youtube makes them more intelligent than everyone else

Attached: explain-this-bullshit.jpg (533x800, 64K)

To be fair you have to have a really high IQ to understand Arch

Fuck right off, snowflake.

This "toxic" meme cannot die fast enough.

>"RTFM, noob"
>actually doesn't read the manual himself
>spoonfeeds himself with the Arch wiki

Attached: 1507346152490.png (645x729, 70K)

What manual are you referring to?

At this rate your neckbeard might grow into something worth grooming. You're no better than someone ignoring the point of an argument to point out a typo.
But hey, at least now you'll fit in better with the rest of the spergs on this board.

>user-friendly and accessible
That's exactly what Linux is though.

>using "toxic"
>overtshit in background

Attached: boku.png (480x480, 236K)

unsubscribed

go back to windows you fat fuck

>until you want to do anything more then look at the internet and what a shock, what you did doesnt work, now the only way to fix it is command line and sifting through assholes like
Windows has the same issue, except instead of using a command line to simply copy paste solutions retards will tell you "just install this malware.exe app and it should be fixed!" while other people will pull solutions out of their ass without knowing what they're talking about.
I'd rather be a community of rude intelligent people who I can trust than stupid as fuck kind people pretending to know what they're doing and giving "solutions" that might introduce other more severe issues.

except if its something with audio, you look in the audio settings, all of which gives you all the options and there is no command line, and you can diagnose backwards from there trying to figure out what happened.

linux you either have the shit memorised, or you get patronizing cunts online telling you its easy, and you will find the fix soon, and wont it feel so much better when you find it on your own, along with 'should have installed arch' and other shit.

with windows you at least have hope that you can figure the problem out and even if its obscure, SOMEONE has had the same issue and a fix/workaround is found

>if its something with audio, you look in the audio settings, all of which gives you all the options and there is no command line
Linux also does this. The only real difference between Linux and Windows is that Linux doesn't have automatic diagnostics which upload data to Microsoft in order for them to find a fix for your issue.

Wendell needs to understand that the moment Linux goes mainstream is the moment it dies.

For current users or in general?