/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1534499734694.png (417x467, 150K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m64p.github.io/
askubuntu.com/questions/484434/install-ubuntu-without-cd-and-usb-how
askubuntu.com/questions/1027532/how-to-opt-out-of-system-information-reports
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1483995
bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/mozilla-removes-23-firefox-add-ons-that-snooped-on-users/
unix.stackexchange.com/a/458423
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's the best book to learn the shell

m64p.github.io/
Found this N64 emulator for linux that works pretty well.
Almost. Almost. Almost playable speeds with angry lion enabled playing Star Fox 64. GlideN64 is find though. Seems better than using retroarch.

The BashGuide link in OP. Srsly.

tried installing ubuntu, extracted iso into an empty partition
booting into it greets me with "press tab to autocomplete >grub" on a black screen
what the fuck do i do

You were dumped to recovery. Where did you install grub and did you run "update-grub" after you installed your distro? What do you mean by "extracted iso"? Did you install or think that you could just unzip it and it would work? Also, check the Arch Wiki for help with grub (documentation will help with other distros).

How can i convert an emoji to its code on the cli?
The opposite of: printf '%b\n' '\U1F4A9'

i just extracted the iso into an empty partition
it just werks with windows
loonixfags btfo

lmaoing @ ur life

why doesnt that work
install ubuntu in google just finds "extract it into a zip disquette and boot from it"
how is it different if i extract it to a partition and boot from it

After running a pacman -Syu, japanese characters suddenly don't display in konsole anymore? Looks like this:
'2814 - '$'\346\226\260\343\201\227\343\201\204\346\227\245\343\201\256\350\252\225\347\224\237'' - cover.png'

>Arch
Found your problem.

why would you install ubuntu in google

real helpful guys, year of the linux desktop when
google gives me jack shit and here i just get laffed at
real great

What's your issue, user?
Ignore the trolls.

Linux is just a kernel.

read the thread

cant install ubuntu
extracting the iso into an empty partition and booting dumps me into recovery supposedly
googol says nothing about installing grub
trying unetbootin fills my c: with shit and shows an option in windows boot manager but selecting it gives me a "windows cant boot from this" error

Try a search engine which respects your privacy. You can find some engines and other information in the OP.

>loonixfags btfo
You did that to yourself.

Burn the Install ISO on a USB stick using Rufus or whatever you prefer
Extracting an install ISO on an empty partition is not the way to do it

well i have a 128mb usb and a dvd drive with no dvds
i aint buyin shit just to install gentoo you faggots

Okay.
You're acting as if I have to beg you to install gentoo or something.

>Burn
That's not how it works, senpai.

also why doesnt extracting it to a partition work
does it need to be a separate physical device?
im sorry :(

No, it doesn't need to be. It's just easier.
5 seconds of search engine usage took me here. Did you already do this?

askubuntu.com/questions/484434/install-ubuntu-without-cd-and-usb-how

meant for

Try a distro that doesn't spy.
askubuntu.com/questions/1027532/how-to-opt-out-of-system-information-reports

>doesnt need to be
well extracting it gives me a "fuck you" and doing what that tutorial said gives me a "windows cant boot from this" error
im trying the second method now but why do you need 3 separate things just to install

how is antiX? artix or antiX? I heard the dev of antiX was a raging sjw.....

-Friendly- thread

It's a surprisingly good systemd-free Debian spinoff with an actually unique default desktop experience.
I never went too deep in the Jow Forums side of it, but the product itself is well made.

Is your computer using UEFI or MBR?

so, i have installed i3 and currently i can autostart applications in multiple desktops etc, but i cant seem to do window management in 1 desktop well like people do in desktop threads.
how can i achieve those overlapping windows in i3 that i see in ricing threads?

Botnet alert!

Reminder to remove these botnets from your Firefox:

Browser Security
Browser Privacy
Browser Safety
YouTube Download & Adblocker Smarttube
Popup-Blocker
Facebook Bookmark Manager
Facebook Video Downloader
YouTube MP3 Converter & Download
Simply Search
Smarttube - Extreme
Self Destroying Cookies
Popup Blocker Pro
YouTube - Adblock
Auto Destroy Cookies
Amazon Quick Search
YouTube Adblocker
Video Downloader
Google NoTrack
Quick AMZ

Sauces:
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1483995
bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/mozilla-removes-23-firefox-add-ons-that-snooped-on-users/

Who even downloads these? They already sound dodgy

ublock origin and/or umatrix is all you need for adblocking

You are very stupid.

>Who even downloads these?
otherwise dumbass normalshit who somehow manage to get to addons.mozilla.org

>Self Destroying Cookies
There is nothing wrong with this one

> Self Destroying Cookies
Jesus, good that I switched

That was/is self DESTRUCTING cookies.

Attached: 1471042765327.jpg (438x490, 54K)

+ https everyone
+ decentraleyes

so i fell for the meme and went full autist and de-systemd'd myself. i'm using openrc and i3 now. what shit should be launched by openrc and what should be launched by my wm? is there some general guideline or unix-philosophy meme i could apply?

this is what i3 is launching, openbox is launching everything else, almost all in the "default" runlevel.

exec --no-startup-id /usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
exec --no-startup-id feh --bg-fill ~/stupid-pape.png
exec --no-startup-id compton -b
exec --no-startup-id dropbox
exec --no-startup-id offlineimap
exec --no-startup-id nm-applet

What is polkit?

Fedora or Ubuntu on a very old MacBook? I would do gamedev with a very light Lua engine.

Attached: Apple-MacBook-Unibody-right.jpg (450x301, 23K)

What's the best distro for a newbie, KDE neon or ubuntu 18.04? Maybe xubuntu?

It's like sudo in reverse. Program asks polkit for escalated privilege, polkit asks user for password.

Anyone knows a good web proxy to set up on a server ?

dont modern machines all use uefi?

The one you like.

I need to make a multiboot usb stick with w7, w8.1, w10 and a lot of distros. Wich tool is the best to do this? I tried yumi and multibootusb, but sometimes some distros doesnt want to boot.
There is a way to get this with dd?

It's an Intel fagbook right? Not an ancient MIPS.
Go Ubuntu BTW. Consider netinstall or xubuntu/lubuntu/ubuntu-mate/other spinoff.

Yep. I've also changed the battery and added 5 gigs of RAM and an SSD.

How can I watch which apps connect to the internet?

I'm looking for a distro with stability and updated packages since Arch seems to break often, and I'm not that good at using Linux commands to figure out.

Should I install Debian Testing?

>Arch seems to break often
How did you break it?
It dosent break often.

Then should I just try them all and decide? Can't you guys just spoonfeed me what's the best one?

>be GNOME
>see your source
> geez, have to fix all those bugs?
>idea.jpg
>remove bugs' source
> we'll say it's a feature :^)

anyone got experience with running a self-compiled kernel on debian? my new laptop is missing kernel modules, and the best I can do is follow this "guide": unix.stackexchange.com/a/458423

desu I don't know what the chances are that this leads to problems. but I need that trackpoint...

I'm still choosing my distro because my laptop hasn't arrived, but whenever I hear about Arch, questions like this always pops up. As an amateur Linux user who used Ubuntu 1 year before, I don't know too much about repairing Linux or performing constant maintenance, so I'm picky about using Arch or any bleeding edge distro over others.

you're religious fundamentalists who make Muslim terrorists look moderate

What are the real differences between GTK and Qt? Anybody using LXQt?

>i did X now Y distro isnt working anymore
Can be applied anywhere. I see far more issues in these threads with APT based distros then i do with arch
Check your pacman.log and see what you updated, dont blindly update.You may need to regen your locale or it could be a problem with konsole specifically.

Cause its a meme. I've had the same arch install since 2009. Xorg has never once broken, i maintain my gfx card and monitor configs appropriately. I diff .pacnew's when they occur.
Read the install guide before you install to get a jist of it then boot it and install, follow the wiki and the appropriate links for your hardware/setup and its easily installed within 15 minutes. Do an update atleast once a month and thats all the maintenance you need to do

this strategy seems neat, contributing from what I've read on the maintenance page of the arch wiki. doesn't seem like a compulsive job.

but I never thought about messing with display configs and drivers, where would you have heard that (I'd just install i3 or another wm and that's it)

>where would you have heard that (I'd just install i3 or another wm and that's it)
I haven touched my fluxbox config in close to a decade.
As programs change, features can be removed/changed, the syntax can be removed/changed, if you have an old config file that uses this, say xorg, of course it will break. If you see it in your update list when you -Syyu you might want to take a look at what changed and if it applies to you and your config.
Recently nvidia dropped support for the 400 and 500 series, if you have one of those cards you need to use the legacy drivers in nvidia-390xx.If you didnt do that and updated anyway your xorg would not start because the drivers were dropped. All you had to do was read the nvidia changelog and see this change and install the legacy drivers.
Blindly installing updates without considering your systems config, will never do well, even on other distros.

Go away botnet slave.

What's the most non-autistic distro I can put on my T420 when it arrives?
Mostly just want to minimize resource usage for HD (and beyond) video playback with minimum lag.

any non *buntu distro with xfce

Linux Man Pages
Linux Manual Pages
LinuxMan - Linux Man Pages
Linux Man Pages Reference
Linux Man Pages Pro
Man Pages Unix/Linux
Linux CoreUrils Manual
Linux Commands Manual Pro
Linux Commands Manual
Commands for Gnu/Linux
or
Linux Unix Commands Cheat Sheet
?

explain "ricing"

Anyone played around with Guix? I'm interested in a simple distribution that I can put on my home router so I can set up a network to my liking (IPv6 only clients, VPN, etc.). I did install Guix on a VM just now and updating my software started compilation. Pretty sure you can get binary packages, hopefully for everything.

Playing around with it certainly feels weird, almost reminds of the time when I first started using GNU/Linux.

it's an /o/ term which meant customizing your shitty car to make it look cool.
you can guess how that translates to GNUL.

just customizing one's system?

Customizing it for the sake of customization.

A catch-all term to mean changing anything and everything, yes.

Anyone know a good Luks+LVM guide for a simple single-user system (laptop+Gentoo)? All these ones I find include all these unnecessary different partitions for /usr /var/ blah blah shit I don't need or don't include swap they're all just ridiculous and I just can't wrap my dumb brain around it :'(

I liked xubuntu on my PC, but debian with xfce any good then?

I need Intel drivers because it's going to be a ThinkPad, well, need to check the wiki for that.

Might also need to know if the update function in Arch is more detailed than in Debian / Ubuntu, so I can check conflicts and new versions of programs I use.

Yeah debians fine, things will mostly just werk. The only gripe you may have is having to add the backports repo to get more up to date stuff. But if all you'll be doing is Jow Forums and youtube/anime. You probably won't even need to.

what's the other option then? Customizing it for the sake of what?

pacman is better than apt in my opinion.

me im a free os man myself

>Pretty sure you can get binary packages, hopefully for everything.
Just wait a while after a pull before you update your packages. The build farm needs time to build the packages.

>so I can check conflicts and new versions of programs I use.
Being rolling release, all of that is tested in the testing repo before being pushed to the proper main repo. Occasionally there needs to be manual intervention to update, which is fully documented on the arch front page. If you already have the files in the filesystem it will throw errors, and it will ask you if you want to replace certain programs with a new version that is named differently.

whenever i fbi i see
using "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-16", pixelsize=16.67 file=/usr/share/fonts/TTF/VeraMono.ttf
trying drm: /dev/dri/card0 ...
drm: drmModeSetCrtc() failed
trying fbdev: /dev/fb0 ...
ioctl VT_GETSTATE: Inappropriate ioctl for device
ioctl VT_GETMODE: Inappropriate ioctl for device
NOTICE: No vt switching available on terminal.
NOTICE: Not started from linux console? CONFIG_VT=n?
WARNING: Running on framebuffer and can't manage access.
WARNING: Other processes (fbcon too) can write to display.
WARNING: Also can't properly cleanup on exit.

are there any actual differences between Bunsen Labs and Crunchbang++?

I love the idea of a preconfigured openbox Debian setup, but I'm unsure of which of these Crunchbang continuations I should be installing, unless there really aren't any qualitative differences?

Thanks

I'm getting it as a backup machine while I wait to build a ryzen system, so youtube will probably be as intense as it gets.

bunsen's most popular
also has that cool look

Any ideas on what this means?

ago 17 15:27:32 zeus kernel: INFO: task systemd-udevd:413 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
aug 17 15:27:32 zeus kernel: Tainted: P O 4.18.1-arch1-1-ARCH #1
aug 17 15:27:32 zeus kernel: "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.

Writing that zero does make the message go away, but the system still briefly freezes once in a while.
Why all the extra shit on top an init system?

antiX is great. Dev is just a Greek communist.

the wildcards let you know what is actually taking up that space, and it will print the names of the atoms.
thanks for the insults though, so friendly.

the init system?
looks like the kernel is reporting the issue...

lets say there is an unknown character (deonoted as ): 350F , how would i sed what is between the numbers and the F?

Use w3m.

>sed
What

man sed

something like: sed -E 's#([1-9].*(F|C)#\1\2#g' except one that works.

???

>If you do not have root privileges, or if multiple users want customized instances of dwm, you can run dwm from the build directory without installing it. Simply replace 'make clean install' with 'make clean' and then modify your startup script (e.g., .xinitrc) to point to the absolute path to the dwm binary;
>exec ~/dwm-source-dir/dwm
wtf i love dwm now

sed 's|||'