Anti-audiophiles are deluded

anti-audiophiles are deluded.

after 10 years of use my DAC just died and I plugged my speakers directly into my motherboard's soundcard . this is my first time using a non dedicated, non-high spec DAC in a long time and i've forgotten how atrocious they sound.

Attached: IMG_0771.png (710x533, 473K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wqSeNGUeLvE
abx.digitalfeed.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=W6pQtHhNIr4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

ok

cool blog post btw

Sometimes I listen to mp3@64kbps. Good enough.

No one cares about your placebo

Sound different != sound worse

External DAC ¡= audiophile

Spending $20k on a power strip with no active components == audiophile

i'm pretty sure that anyone who claims they can tell the difference between 320kbps and flac is an audiophile according to Jow Forums

What if we're the physical embodiment of a digital audio file?

then you'd be an audiofile

no, you're just retarded

No.

You still need external DAC to properly output 320kbps mp3 so I don't see a problem here

nice

Its literally impossible to tell the difference. Theres no audible differences to the human ear

Plugging speakers in 10 year old PC ?

I do think a decent DAC does make a difference over on-board sound but once you start going over that you get rapidly diminishing returns and once you're spending several hundred dollars or more on audio gear you're in placebo territory.

The point is there are analogue components that affect quality and standardized digital components that can't affect quality even in theory but audiophiles still spend money on (((premium))) network cables and such. Also most analogue audiophile cables are scam too but it's not as easy to expose.
Audiophile is a term referring to degeneracy, using a decent DAC has nothing to do with it.

Same here OP. I had a cheap in-line passive volume knob for my active speakers. One day it just quit and I plugged my cables directly into my sound card and wow, the difference was night and day. Before, the stereo image was off, one side would be slightly quieter than the other and the highs didn't exist at all.

To be honest the actual reason I think a DAC is good is they almost always integrate a power amplifier in with the DAC that can drive headphones with an impedance over 8 ohms properly. Motherboard audio just can't supply the power most headphones need so it's always too quiet.

It doesn't really do anything else to make the audio better though there may be a marginal improvement is the external DAC is 24-bit and the internal is 16-bit. It should result in a more accurate representation of the audio but the extent to which the average person could really tell the difference is debatable.

top kek

>non dedicated DAC
>implying DAC has any other purpose
>implying your mb has a bad DAC unless you bought a trash board
>random asus board i have can drive 600 ohms

External DAC simply has better components and doesn't suffer from interference other PC parts cause. Even if you separate a shitty DAC from motherboard and put it outside the case (yep, integrated sound has DAC too obviously) you will still see an improvement because of reduced interference (this is what cheap usb sound cards are). And components quality is important for analogue devices, can't argue on that.

I have $1k active speakers connected directly to the mobo sound and the main use for them is playing anime ost tracks from youtube. fight me.

>implying they aren't isolated on the board

but I use my HD 598 with my e10k and I plugged it in my motherboard's audio jack and there's zero difference in sound. Fuck you

>random asus board i have can drive 600 ohms

I highly doubt that. My $50 headphones have a maximum power of 300mW and assuming normal power dissipation when listening is 200mW in order to not blow your ears out you're looking at a peak-to-peak voltage across the headphones of 11V. If you listened at the full 300mW of power you're looking at 13.4Vp-p which is more than the 12V rail in your PC can provide and most likely the output amplifier is actually connected across the 5V rail, not the 12V so you're full of shit that your board can drive 600 ohms.

Sure you'll probably be able to hear SOMETHING with 600 ohm headphones connected to your PC. Your music will be -60dBm down and you know, your case fans will probably drown it out but if you listen REALLY closely you might just be able to hear something.

I'm sorry, that's 11V and 13V RMS, not peak-to-peak. The peak to peak voltage is EVEN HIGHER. In both cases it exceeds the 12V rail.

Attached: asus.jpg (732x885, 87K)

not even memeing, there is a difference.

Just because it's advertised as being able to drive 600 ohms doesn't mean it's gonna be able to drive them particularly well. They will be quiet. You need a higher voltage than the PSU in the PC can supply so they're either using a separate SMPS with a >12V output voltage specifically to drive the amp (hope you like switching noise in your audio) or their marketing department is bullshitting a bit.

>gets proven wrong
>yeah but won't work lol
>doesn't know what an op amp does
>can get USB External DAC's that deliver +/-11V

i'd like to interject for a moment

mainboard op amp solutions are quiet compared to the real deal which does make a sounding difference like Aune S7 for example

t. mainboardandheadphoneexperiencedguy

Yup. This baby is all I need.

Attached: 415cYhC5yCL.jpg (500x355, 30K)

Of course theres a difference, just not an audible one.
t. Guy that had audio engineer dad with audio equipment too expensive for a single person

Listen moron, an op-amp can only amplify up to about 2V below its voltage rails unless it's a rail to rail op-amp which can usually get to within a few millivolts of the rail. That means if you have 0 to 12V that means your maximum signal swing can only go between 2 and 10V assuming you biased it at 1/2 VCC.

As for USB DACs getting higher voltages
>what are charge pumps

Depends on the motherboard. Modern integrated chips are much better especially from higher spec mainboards.

When I use my 600 Ohm headphones on my 50 € B350 board I immediately notice it, it works, but I need 100 % volume.
Good enough for voice recordings at maximum.
>TFW Xonar STX in main PC
I wouldn't use these sound cards if you don't have broken sound
Only high end is viable, though you get Xonar cards for 80 € now

but I honest to god notice it, not in all songs, but in a lot of them. The music just sounds clearer and better. Songs like this, for instance

youtube.com/watch?v=wqSeNGUeLvE

Today DAC are enough good, but amps in mostly motherboard are shit.

>15 minutes of research on op amps
>still doesn't know how they work
>charge pumps
>not voltage regulators

dude, I'm an EE, of course I know how they work and I've even replicated an op-amp with discrete transistors.

Your first stage is a high gain differential amplifier with a current mirror active load to increase the gain dramatically as well as a current source in the tail for common mode rejection. The input is obviously differential and the output is single ended and that feeds off to a class A voltage gain stage. There's usually a level shifter as well as a capacitor integrated for compensation which reduces the bandwidth but increases stability so it doesn't randomly oscillate and finally there's a class AB output for the current gain.

Now, my question, do you not know what a charge pump is, because it seems like you don't. A linear voltage regulator cannot give you a voltage higher than whatever voltage you input into it. A charge pump, otherwise known as a switched capacitor DC-DC converter can.

Underrated post

test

I really want to step up my audio set up buy I keep getting mixed input left and right.

>Invest just in speakers/headphones
>Get a DAC
>DAC is useless
>Everything is a meme

Fuck.

Attached: 1531916161061.jpg (918x597, 216K)

you are falling for placebo

idk, but i unironicaly cant notice a difference between a 64kb mp3 and a 320kb one

$20k in source gear, ask an audio(phool)phile anythin

Attached: IMG_2956.jpg (4032x3024, 2.46M)

I'm not anti-audiophile, but for proper music I prefer live show once a month. And with proper music I mean classical, chamber or opera. Couldn't care less for autistic fags whining how their meme music sounds a bit off with plastic electrons. They can't feel the sound with their bodies anyways. Bonelets.

People telling there's no difference between FLAC and mp3 are in denial.

I do agree though that there are people unable to tell the difference. Just like vision vary between people.

Do a blind abx test and learn how wrong you are. Placebo is a hell of a drug. Even 240kb/s mp3 is beyond our ability to discern from the source, and 192kb/s is good enough that very few people can reliably tell it from source.

>those toys
are you gay?

>Squids
All opinions discarded.

There is a difference, just not an audible difference.
Flac was designed with a storage purpose in mind to archive CD's and revert them back to CD's as the exact same copy which mp3 wasn't able to do.

LoL.
My alc880 sounds as good as your $1000000000000000 placebo DAC.

Keep being a pleb.

Attached: ALC880.jpg (1024x768, 224K)

>more than a dac over integrated soundcard is rapidly diminishing returns and not worth it
>more than a basic graphics card over integrated graphics is rapidly dimishing returns and not worth it

Sometimes returns become so small the further you go in comparison because the base line is simply that bad.

Hifi reproduction of sound was mastered in the 60s. Since the introduction of the CD there has been no improvements whatsoever.

>Hifi reproduction of sound was mastered in the 60s.
Buzz... crackle... echo... fizz.
Oh, yes. I remember. The scratching of the needle in the groove, the buzz of the turntable motor, all faithfully reproduced by the microphonic tubes in the pre-amp. The noisy pots because of the leaky electrolytic caps linking the stages.
The 10% THD standard allowed by the IHFM.
Great times. At least, better than MellowTone.

>My alc880 sounds as good
To your cloth-ears, perhaps.
You're probably functionally deaf from too many over-loud distorted .mp3s.

Terrible opinion. Live music is good for the experience and ambiance. But to truly experience the music in it's platonic form you must have a good headphones setup. Live music has terrible production values and soundstage. Don't be seduced by the romance of live music.

coloring does not equal quality

Jow Forums ON A PHONE SOUND CARD LOOKS THE SAME AS ON A 1080TI

I feel you OP. I can only enjoy music when I sit in my specially made sound room with mahogany cladding and clothespins on my testicles.

its the equivalent of you having worse vision than someone else like he said

There is a massive difference and it's plainly audible. Even the best MP3 has compression artifacts. At high bitrate they are less audible but they are still plainly there on high frequency sounds. Those artifacts do not exist in a FLAC. Also, the lack of compression distortion means a FLAC file can go louder on amps than an MP3 without sounding like ass. Something about MP3 files make my thrift shop hifi stack shit itself at high volume, while FLAC files do not produce any distortion in the equipment.

desu I can also tell the difference between 60Hz and 59Hz in the motion of objects on the computer monitor. It's not golden organs, I just pay fucking attention.

>Curious to see how well I would do on this audiophile test abx.digitalfeed.net/
>Never get past the first set of songs on the short test probably because I've started having trouble concentrating on shit
Feels bad man.

YOUR onboard sound is ass. Some of them are fine, some are crap. Also if your speakers need more current than just regular line out supplies, they will sound crappy without an external DAC that supplies more, or at least an amplifier between the PC and them.

What DAC should I buy, then?

musiland MD11, i guess

>tfw I mostly listen to vaporwave designed to sound shoddy for aesthetic purposes

Attached: 3f65e1e2ae01a4ae81178a83e7769b30911fc338d8af84ae0b58488e560502a3.jpg (500x500, 44K)

WHOA BIG BRAINED

>$1k active speakers connected directly to the mobo
If anything, an external dac is worth having a volume knob for your speakers.

>HD 598 with my e10k
Found your problem.

I fixed it, thank god

Attached: D9087374-0D2C-4A90-AE71-5DD21CBFD53F.jpg (3264x2448, 1.3M)

Get a DAC. You don't need to get a four figure one.
Spend a couple hundred on speakers and an amp.
You're set.

It's the equivalent of you having a placebo.

wtf is wrong with audiophiles?

Attached: audiophiles 3.png (940x999, 381K)

Only Vinyl is real!

*With a MC pickup, a tube (pre)amp

It sounds bad because its a cheapo one with loads of noise, no shielding and not enough current to drive your fatty ear phones.

Just buy a cheap soundcard or even USB dac if it bothers you so much, audiophaggot.

Just buy some headphones (or speakers if you want to blow all your money) and see if you like them. A DAC isn't really needed unless your audio hardware is trash or you bought headphones that really need the extra power.

>his motherboard doesnt step up to 600V
>his motherboard doesnt have a valve tube opamp for audio out
Enjoy inferior sound

600V on the mobo? At least do it like pic related

Attached: dc9c759921a6dee5.jfif.jpg (371x118, 9K)

No to all 3

Imagine using analog electronics in 2018 LOL losers!

Using a DAC doesn't make you an audiophile, in fact DACs are one of several things in the high-end audio world that do make a discernible difference.

Audiophiles are retards that buy magic sound crystals and cables full of kitty litter because they think it actually makes a difference to the sound of their components.

Redpill me on impedance lads, what's the realistic difference in quality between a properly driven 80ohm set and a properly driven 600ohm set?

What do you call the many people in this thread that are vehemently against dacs then?

Jesus Christ... You are unironically linking songs from YouTube which uses undisclosed compression algorithms.

I love retard taxes

he's talking about the album that sounds like this youtube.com/watch?v=W6pQtHhNIr4

Attached: .png (593x462, 89K)

are audiophiles some of the most pretentious people out there?

Attached: audiophile.webm (1280x720, 2.99M)

Maybe you just have a shitty mobo. If you didn't waste all your money on audiophile shit maybe you could afford a better mobo.

only mech keyboard fags come second to them

my old asus p8z68 v-pro cant power my dt770's. the cheap xperia l1 can but not the fuckin computer. had to buy a dac.

Why buy a dedicated sound card/DAC when for speakers and most headphones a high quality mobo will do the job

Attached: asus mobo audio.png (1173x908, 689K)

they act like they have better fucking hearing than bats

Attached: audiophiles.webm (640x360, 2.55M)

Is it too loud?

He is crying cause it's so damn expensive.

these are the same people who get conned into buying garden hoses posing as audio cables for 300+ dollars

Attached: audiophile snakeoil.jpg (499x824, 167K)

Get soundcard for 100$ max. Get DAC for 100$ max. All that you need. If you're a boomer over 30 you don't even need to worry about high frequency cut-off in 320mp3s because guess what, your ear are already fucked so say goodbye to >15kHz.

kein gato

A fucking crab