Security Cameras

I work for a small business and I'm the only tech inclined person so I was tasked with setting up security cameras. We need up to 8 cameras. Wireless cams would be nice but i've heard ip cams aren't secure. Can someone give me a run down on what i should be looking into? We're trying to stay under a grand. The area I have to cover is about 150ft x 150ft

Attached: XD.jpg (600x450, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/What-is-the-best-open-source-video-surveillance-software
zoneminder.com/
shinobi.video/
kerberos.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

just put a sniper on the roof with a garand and you'll be about to cover a mile under a garand.

the garand will cost a grand alone

Attached: 1527630097031.jpg (598x598, 419K)

Should be able to get a DVR and a few CCTV cameras for under a grand

IP Cameras are good enough. Make the password complicated and avoid all Netwave cameras like the plague. Make sure it's a camera that doesn't have any way to input audio or record audio, since that's what autists like to have if they do break in.

What do you mean about autists wanting audio if they break in?

They had some cameras a year or two ago that was some cheap kit from amazon and the dvr shit its pants. Every kit i see looks like the same hardware with different name. is there any decent reputable brand that makes those kits or are they all the same?

It's called IP camera trolling. It's the reason why most people break into cameras in the first place. Make sure the camera does not record audio or transmit any audio. Autists who break into these cameras like to have some sort of interaction or they get bored and leave.

Why didn't they just replace the DVR?
I'm not in the security business but I imagine if you already have a few cameras laying around you could shell out a bit more money on getting another decent DVR.
Just do a bit of research, I'm sure you'll find something that meets your use-case.

put it on a separate vlan
buy hikvision cameras
you can use 360 degrees camera if you need to cover a room or something

Depending what kind of building your business is in, go wireless. Just.. go wireless.. running the hard line over that shitty ceiling tile is absolute hell, it's not hard but it's disgusting, even on newer buildings you'll be covered in rat shit, bugs, insulation and tons of gypsum/dust.

I've done it about 3 times for my current boss every time we set up a new place (Not in my job description but I do it anyway) and I told him the last time I'm doing it since he's too cheap to go wireless, and he has like 5 miles worth of camera cables in storage for some reason so he refuses to do anything but wired connection.

also use a control software where you can set hotspots, so you don't record a whole day constantly

>360 degrees camera
One such camera will eat most of his budget.

Run a closed network using coax or ethernet cable. Cheapest and most secure.

Go wireless if you have rats, those fucking little shits caused me way too many headaches, they'll just eat the cables in the worst places.

Rats gonna cause problems with power too, even if each shortcuts electrocute one. But you'd likely have problems with your shop merchandise too

what software would you recommend? remote monitoring is necessary. the site the cams are going in is a site thats out of state.

i\m sorry bro but the most common reason to crack IP cameras are botnets, precisely for ddos attack since they cant do much more. all IP cameras should never be reachable from public IPs and should reside behind a firewall or even better on separated vlan

insecam thread? insecam thread.

What's the story behind this pic

Another question would be about advanced function of the software like motion detection, look these links
quora.com/What-is-the-best-open-source-video-surveillance-software
zoneminder.com/
shinobi.video/
kerberos.io/

sam hyde. look him up, hes behind a lot of mass shootings

>under a grand
I have my top-notch high tech pic relzted security setup in my house. Cost me 0$. Literally took tye first laptop laying around in my room and installed iSpy. Buy a few shitty usb webcams and usb extenders at good will and ur good to go

Attached: IMG_20180817_221125.jpg (2240x3968, 1.34M)

the site is indoor and outdoor and outdoor is pretty harsh weather. usb extenders wont carry power for camera very far.

I'm thinking of getting a new nvr and keeping the current cameras. Hikvision looks like it's interface is nice and they have an actual warranty. Are hikvision ptz cameras good also? I would like one ptz

hikivision is known chink spyware.

a radar system is the only sensible choice

Attached: 1494004264436.gif (450x450, 776K)

Backstreeet surveillance is legit and has a 5yr warranty.

Hikvision needs outdated npapi plugins, fuck off.

It looks like you end up paying for that warranty too. Pretty pricey kits.

whats a good alternative?

Literally anything else, having had to maintain a hikvision system its the biggest piece of fucking chink shit ever.
Even consumer shit like reolink is less of a pain in the ass.

UKIT8-U60BW at backstreet surveillance is a 8 camera POE system. Add it to your cart and remove the network cables included. Comes out to 1,192$. The cameras in this kit can be reduced as well. They are 4MP and have 60ft night vision.

You get what you pay for.

Axi$

OP here. I'm thinking now I should keep the cameras from the old system and get another nvr or get a cheap pc to run blue iris or something similar on. I'm almost certain im going to run Ethernet to the cameras, no wireless. Someone mentioned axis, they look legit, but the only nvr they have in my price range is the companion recorder. Idk, im leaning towards having it pc based now.

IP cameras are secure enough as long as you don't have random people joining your network and you change the default passwords. Don't use wireless bullshit, and block out some static IP addresses for them. Don't buy one of those shitty OEM DVR systems, find or buy a cheap/old computer with a good amount of storage (at least a TB, you can put your own drives in it), and use Blue Iris for your DVR. If you're really paranoid about the IP cameras you can physically separate them from your network by putting them on their own switch along with the DVR computer. In Blue Iris, make sure you change the settings so it isn't re-encoding the video, have it just write directly to disk, otherwise your CPU is gonna be raped constantly.

Oh, and PoE is a fucking god send.

As for the cameras, I've used mostly Amcrest/Foscam in the past and they work well and are inexpensive, but the web interface is extremely chink and requires shitty browser plugins if you want to watch the feed in the web interface.