How do we take back the internet Jow Forumsentoomen?

How do we take back the internet Jow Forumsentoomen?

It's all corporate shit and government surveillance now. TOR isn't feasible for casual browsing though, are any of the other p2p alternatives any good?

Attached: 1378035-200.png (200x200, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

git.gternet.me/gternet/gternet-cli
mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Purpose
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Beaker browser is p2p. Haven't tried it out myself though. The point is all these projects will fail if it can't get a mass following somehow, notwithstanding how good or bad the technology is. This is what tor did right.

It's too late bro. Internet was off to a good start but now is completely doomed.

Best to avoid internet altogether. Whatever it was in the 'old days' (inb4 stupid meme) is gone forever.

F

ZERONET
e
r
o
n
e
t

Tor + blockchain with an ipfs back-end with literally no configuration. Let's gooooo

>p2p
>prepare 4 party van
>prepare 4 anal rape in prison

Don't say I didn't warn you ese

Attached: Bueno.jpg (546x366, 47K)

* Find Jow Forums spinoffs that have a constructive discussions
* Delete social media (yes, all of them you faggot). If you live in Europe, demand to have all of your data from Google, FB etc. deleted or at least revealed on GDPR grounds
* Buy from smaller sites instead of Amazon, (e. g. Rakuten)
* Use duckduckgo or startpage instead of Google
* Use LineageOS, alternatively get a dumbphone and install WhatsApp and the likes within an Android emulator.
* If you have to buy a smartphone because you're an insufferable cunt, get one with a removable battery and check *all* permissions you're giving an app when installing it
* Browse with cookies disabled by default. If you use Firefox, "NoScript" or "UBlock" are a good start for add-ons
* Pay with cash wherever possible
* Find open alternatives to proprietary services (e. g. OSM instead of Google Maps, or MPSYT or Newpipe instead of YouTube)
* Use a VPN
* Unironically install Gentoo or at the very least Ubuntu/Windows dual boot
* Get a PGP signature and encrypt your E-Mails
* Vote with your wallet/usage

Those are only a few things I can come up with. I am sure there are more and that some might get dismissed by people smarter than me, but it should be a good starting point.
There is also one point I would like to mention separately because it deserves special emphasis: Never, never assume something is "free" because you don't pay money for it. If it's free, you pay not with money but with your data.

Attached: 1498163817354.jpg (463x2880, 428K)

Yeaaah this is all good and all, but who is going to use your shitty web 2.0?

At best it will be a couple of tech/FOSS enthousiasts, at worst a lot of child diddlers who try to find a golden way to share their sick stuff and stay under the radar. Yeah I know that last part is a common straw man, but you guys of all should know it's true. Very few people actually care about TRUE anonimity, for most a nickname will suffice (like reddit offers).

Everyone else isn't going anywhere else. What made the old internet so damn good was that everyone was using it, from harvard scientists to kids to hobby enthousiast. For instance, you could open a phpp board about heavy metal while connecting with all different kinds of people and debating profound about 1000 different topics, but sadly facebook echo chambers are here to stay. Change my mind.

Good advice but it will change not a single thing about the current internet being shit.

The only thing you will achieve is
a) give yourself headaches by trying to escape the botnet which is 100% futile if you continue using the internet, especially if you own a smartphone.
b) put yourself in social isolation. I speak from experience. Quitting facebook definitely was liberating but it made it a lot tougher to stay in touch with friends. Yeah, friends will be friends but only your best friends at best will install an xmpp chat app. I don't blame them though, people are hard wired to go with the flow.

Attached: mgla.jpg (1184x534, 109K)

>Good advice but it will change not a single thing about the current internet being shit.
I disagree. If more people would use these services, the bigger ones would be forced to either rethink their business model or perish. In a free market (which the world and the internet mostly is), the best thing you can do is change your own consumer behavior. Social media echo chambers as some user mentioned them before me need not to worry you because not only are most extremist ideologies (left as much as right) mostly "all bark, no bite" but also do these groups not make political decisions. Politicians and corporate interests do.
It sounds lame but the best you can do is educate people and try as you might. You cannot force people to behave in a more privacy-concerned manner without getting a massive backlash, accusing you of being autistic, paranoid or whatever.

>a) give yourself headaches by trying to escape the botnet which is 100% futile if you continue using the internet, especially if you own a smartphone.
Granted, it isn't possible 100 %, and some damage you might have done already cannot be undone but setting everything up does not take as long as people would like you to think, neither is this really inconvenient. I slowly adapted my behaviour over the last six months, and I haven't noticed any inconvenience, to be honest.

>b) put yourself in social isolation. I speak from experience. Quitting facebook definitely was liberating but it made it a lot tougher to stay in touch with friends
You still have SMS, E-Mail, the telephone or -- if they live close -- even the chance to meet up. I always had a very small circle of friends that stayed for years and that I still stay in contact with. If they *really* cannot be inconvenienced to send you a message via Signal instead of FB, I'd consider if they are really your friends or if they would help you out if you get through rough times.

Literally the only feasible way is to build our own shadownet. I've thought about how awesome it would be to hide a series of rpi and signal repeaters all over a city, connecting them all together into their own secret intranet, i mean fucking blanketing a city in these things, tiny little boxes hidden all over using those cheap little $10 repeater/router wall plug devices with the pi soldered in so it pulls power from the same outlet plugs as the repeater, and fucking stash them in every single open power outlet you can find that isn't right out in the open, preferably dusty ones that look like the business has forgotten its there, all of them connected, but so many of them stashed that if a few get found it doesn't really matter because there's another one 5' in any direction. Hidden SSID, so normies don't stumble across them, with the WPA2 key being posted in a thread here so everyone in that City on Jow Forums can join and communicate with others over an IRC server on one, share stuff over a torrent tracker on another (they're all clustered so the daemons are running on enough of them redundantly that a few of them going dark won't kill the whole service)

Though... I guess I'd have to clone the MAC address of one of the NICs to all of them so that when you connect to one with the hidden SSID and move out of range of it, your device will automatically jump to another one in range. Though I guess that's also solvable by having one of my own machines at home be the actual access point with all of the hidden boxes repeating the signal, but I feel like that would run into some latency issues across town.

Ideally, it would catch on and other anons would start their own and each time two towns are close enough, they coordinate and bridge them together until our ShadowNet blankets entire continents. Though I'm not sure how we'd make it world wide without some kind of connection to the regular internet to bridge the networks across oceans and shit.

I’ve blocked over 800 news and corporate sites.

>At best it will be a couple of tech/FOSS enthousiasts, at worst a lot of child diddlers who try to find a golden way to share their sick stuff and stay under the radar.
Wow just like the old days.

Honestly, it's too late. Some people will recommend Tor, Freenet, other P2P services, but in the near dystopian future, these services will be unavailable. What we have to start thinking about is infrastructure independent of the internet. Wireless mesh networks are a solution that can work in cities, of course compared to the internet it is very limited. It's just, in the future, I don't think we'll have much more. You can't take back the internet, there's too much money in it.

Finally a good thread on Jow Forums

>Quitting facebook definitely was liberating but it made it a lot tougher to stay in touch with friends.
Gee, I wonder how people kept in touch with their friends before Facebook!

Attached: 1517471836758.gif (480x264, 1.54M)

the "wahh muh internet" threads have been discussed endlessly
your p2p decentralized anonymized buzzword networks won't do anything

One word: futile.

So everyone in that negative huh

MSN messenger and Skype

There's literally a Jow Forums project working on it
git.gternet.me/gternet/gternet-cli

>What is gternet? >mesh.gentoo.today/wiki/Purpose
>gternet would be our own decentralized p2p network running on our own infrastructure, totally disconnected from the clearnet.
>It will be a combination of DIY meshnets on a city wide basis, and a platform for interconnecting these city wide meshnets over p2p vpn bridges and high powered wireless dishes for City to City relays.

by returning to the Way of Neo

Ban smartphones.